DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What The Hell A craiglist Gem.Talk About Just Out Right Say It.

DJ'Que 10:01 PM - 24 January, 2010
losangeles.craigslist.org
This Fool From Orlando Fl. And We About to Send His Ass Back. Crying. Talk about just saying ready to undercut these local Dj. We might just have to hire him and jack His ass. L.A Style.
DJ Alkemy 10:12 PM - 24 January, 2010
This is why some club owners feel ok with offering a skilled DJ who has dedicated his life to his craft crap money!. Dont he realise this type of thing is affecting DJ's worldwide. I say hire then fire!...and you know what I mean by fire dont ya... haha
aj5000 10:52 PM - 24 January, 2010
Like the mixer thou LOL
O.B.1 3:41 AM - 25 January, 2010
whore him out! (no homo),
let him play for peanuts while you negotiate for the door or a cut of the bar...
terrible1fi 3:43 AM - 25 January, 2010
says he'll beat anyone's price? ask if he can beat a freejay's price, in other words, make that retard pay to play...
Audio1 3:48 AM - 25 January, 2010
WOW!
O.B.1 8:03 AM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
We might just have to hire him and jack His ass. L.A Style.

nh?
DouggyFresh 8:26 AM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:

nh?

Classic.
orlandosdjrichierich 10:08 AM - 25 January, 2010
this is sad!
geeunot 12:06 PM - 25 January, 2010
wack!
Dyer 4:17 PM - 25 January, 2010
That's my Ad an yall haters know what to do. I'm jus a DJ tryin to get work an all these Interweb lurkers should be practicing their cut instead of raggin on me. And I'd LOVE to see some fucks try to Jack me! And lastly, been in LA for a year... And I've seen more than my share of sorry ass DJs (who probably don't even own vinyl) embarrass themselves on the constant. So fuck yall. Hate on haters!
Logisticalstyles 4:57 PM - 25 January, 2010
*grabs the popcorn*
DJ CISC0 5:00 PM - 25 January, 2010
*tracks*
DJ_Gadabout 5:02 PM - 25 January, 2010
*tracking* XD
djdalite 5:27 PM - 25 January, 2010
O wow, ima have to keep a look out for this wackness

I see those power 953 tents all over
latindj 5:42 PM - 25 January, 2010
so does the sport coat, jeans and hat come with the big dollar wedding package? I'm just sayin'....

:)
djpuma_gemini 5:48 PM - 25 January, 2010
I was looking for the fist pump picture.
HYDRO MATIC 5:54 PM - 25 January, 2010
look at the last picture...DAMN THATS UGLY!!!
a-swift 7:41 PM - 25 January, 2010
*pulls the laptop up to the comfy chair with a cold beverage*
the_black_one 7:49 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
I was looking for the fist pump picture.

fisting again? yuck!!!
Flipsta 7:52 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
*grabs the popcorn*

Quote:
*pulls the laptop up to the comfy chair with a cold beverage*
djatrain@hotmail.com 9:50 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
so does the sport coat, jeans and hat come with the big dollar wedding package? I'm just sayin'....

:)

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck it, LMAO For Y?
Dj.Mojo 9:54 PM - 25 January, 2010
Where does the ad say he is going to undercut?

I imagine it to be really hard to get established in a new city.
eder 9:57 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
That's my Ad an yall haters know what to do. I'm jus a DJ tryin to get work an all these Interweb lurkers should be practicing their cut instead of raggin on me. And I'd LOVE to see some fucks try to Jack me! And lastly, been in LA for a year... And I've seen more than my share of sorry ass DJs (who probably don't even own vinyl) embarrass themselves on the constant. So fuck yall. Hate on haters!

I've seen my share of wannabe cool kid DJs move out to LA from the east coast or start up only to make nothing because they're full of themselves and full of shit. Learn what humility means and then come back and play with the big boys.
latindj 10:30 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
Where does the ad say he is going to undercut?

I imagine it to be really hard to get established in a new city.

ok, since you went blind like mom warned you, here's a quote right from the ad:

"Ready to undercut some of these local DJs"
SK1 10:36 PM - 25 January, 2010
The ad has been edited... it was there, but I don't see it now.
latindj 10:40 PM - 25 January, 2010
nope. it's still there. read sentence number two....
eder 11:07 PM - 25 January, 2010
the ad verbatim, just in case it ever gets taken down:

I recently moved to LA fresh from Orlando FLA. Lookin to sort some gigs. Ready to undercut some of these local DJs asking for an arm and a leg to mix records. I will beat anyone's price while providing comparable services. I have all pro equipment necessary to set any event off proper. Loaded with an abundance of music spanning multiple genre's and decades. Experience nearing 10 years in all types of events from dive bars and house parties to large scale corporate events and big budget weddings. Hit me up and lets negotiate! SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:12 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
the ad verbatim, just in case it ever gets taken down:

I recently moved to LA fresh from Orlando FLA. Lookin to sort some gigs. Ready to undercut some of these local DJs asking for an arm and a leg to mix records. I will beat anyone's price while providing comparable services. I have all pro equipment necessary to set any event off proper. Loaded with an abundance of music spanning multiple genre's and decades. Experience nearing 10 years in all types of events from dive bars and house parties to large scale corporate events and big budget weddings. Hit me up and lets negotiate! SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!!!!

i really dont think its too bad, its an advertisment plane and simple, how many companys run the same add saying they have the lowest prices or they will beat any price its part of busniess....how is this any different than guitar center price matching +10% discount on any verifyable add
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:13 PM - 25 January, 2010
plus its no different that the up and comiing new dj who has to get a few shitty paid gigs to pay dues, hes new to the area so he dosent have a following and cant use word of mouth to promote, when you move to a new area you gotta do what you can to get in the door
DouggyFresh 11:15 PM - 25 January, 2010
Because when you buy a set of Shure M44-7's from Guitar Center, and they beat the competitors price, you still get Shure M44-7's. When you're talking about skill related services, all factors are no longer equal.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:16 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
Because when you buy a set of Shure M44-7's from Guitar Center, and they beat the competitors price, you still get Shure M44-7's. When you're talking about skill related services, all factors are no longer equal.

ok but what do we know about this kids skill, it says hes got pro equipment and has been doing this for 10 years, he may be BETTER than the DJs hes competing for
Flip - Steelo 11:20 PM - 25 January, 2010
did I miss something?

Whats the problem with his add? He is looking for work and advertising on CL. some of you peeps need to relax. maybe take a look in the mirror if your not getting gigs.
eder 11:23 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
did I miss something?

Whats the problem with his add? He is looking for work and advertising on CL. some of you peeps need to relax. maybe take a look in the mirror if your not getting gigs.

Although I'm a young cat I would rather pay my dues the right way and work my way up (which I did) than DJ for free and then hopefully maybe get paid down the road, but maybe that's just me. Now why would someone seriously consider raising your pay / actually paying you if you start coming in at next to nothing?
ZESH! 11:23 PM - 25 January, 2010
He EVEN has a disclaimer to other DJs
Quote:
myspace.com/djdyer (Apologies to all the hard working DJs out there, but Im trying to get in where I fit in. NO Disrespect intended!)
sixxx 11:23 PM - 25 January, 2010
I don't see anything wrong with this ad... but let me tell you why.

He's trying to break into the L.A. DJ scene from another state. As far as I know, the area is already saturated by DJ's (well, most areas are nowadays), so, they don't pay as much as he thinks they pay. Then, if he does get into a bar, club or whatever, he's not going to get paid much. Then, he's gonna have to watch out for undercutter DJ's like himself who will do it for free. So, what is he going to do next. Pay to play? lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:24 PM - 25 January, 2010
what the problem with some guys on here is that they see other DJs from the forum bitch and then blindly follow, theres a difference between being competitive in the busniess market and being a noob bedroom dj whos only getting gigs cause their not charging
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:25 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
did I miss something?

Although I'm a young cat I would rather pay my dues the right way and work my way up (which I did) than DJ for free and then hopefully maybe get paid down the road, but maybe that's just me. Now why would someone seriously consider raising your pay / actually paying you if you start coming in at next to nothing?

where did he say he would dj for free or for next to nothing, he just said hell beat a price and ended it with call to negotiate. And as far as paying dues it says he has 10 years experience and has done a wide range of events, id say he sounds like hes paid his dues
sixxx 11:26 PM - 25 January, 2010
Note to Bezzle. If you've been DJing for many years. There's no reason to pay dues. Hopefully, you already did.

He is just screwing himself, in my opinion.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:32 PM - 25 January, 2010
Quote:
Note to Bezzle. If you've been DJing for many years. There's no reason to pay dues.

i know thats what i said

Quote:

Hopefully, you already did.

i live in alabama that a big enough due to pay in itself
SK1 11:35 PM - 25 January, 2010
I believe it's one thing in business to advertise that you have competitive rates, or can beat the competitions price. That's a strategy that all major businesses use. However, I find it highly unethical, and a poor choice of words to blatantly advertise that you are ready to undercut.

That's pretty bold considering he has links to all of his personal information.
Flip - Steelo 11:38 PM - 25 January, 2010
the CL link I clicked on said nothing about undercutting.

I dont' know if someone added that or he removed that wording. Neither would surprise me.
Eric N 11:38 PM - 25 January, 2010
The ad has been edited. The original version straight up said "I am down to undercut all of these other local DJs who charge too much" or something very similar. I saw it!
Flip - Steelo 11:39 PM - 25 January, 2010
ok...

yeah bad move then dude....
DJ Alkemy 12:04 AM - 26 January, 2010
Quote:
ok but what do we know about this kids skill, it says hes got pro equipment and has been doing this for 10 years, he may be BETTER than the DJs hes competing for

Exactly, so why is he saying he will undercut them...its a shame that people do this...if you been in the game 10 years and say you paid your dues blah blah blah then you shouldnt be pimping yourself and every other DJ out. Dont people get the point here. There should be some quality control in the DJ scene, skills should equal grade of pay...if your a wack noob/wavie etc you should be paid bottom dollar and if you are a DJ of 10 years+ who has paid his dues then you should be asking...scratch that, demanding more. And dont use the excuse that a bar owner/promoter will only go and hire a wack noob/wavie in your place because that wont last long when all he is doing is crappy little mash-ups all night long.

But what chance have we got as a DJ community if we get reputable DJ's (Im taking his word for it) saying he will undercut all local DJ's. Come on people, wisen up. How the hell did he expect not to get a backlash from people!. And for the people who dont see anything wrong with it then you obviously dont live in LA so think it dont affect you but really think what you would feel like if this guy moved to your town and took your spot because he is charging a lot less?...what happens then?...you charge less, he then charges less again and the DJ's are once again looking like douchebags who are selling themselves and their culture down the river to the delight of the promoter/club owner. What he should do is approach local spot owners and ask for a chance to prove he is better than the current DJ. Undercutting?...in my book thats a bitch move, simple and plain.
sixxx 12:05 AM - 26 January, 2010
I think it was just a poor choice of words. But, like I said, in the end, all you're doing is damaging yourself and nothing more. Why? There's always going to be someone trying to get your gig for less money. So, either you're an asset to the place you're playing at? Or, if you're not. You will be replaced.
DJ_Phenom 5:15 AM - 26 January, 2010
I agree with sixxx on the poor choice of words. I think dudes prolly just tryin to get out there and make some noise on the scene. Seems like hes got some decent exp. and from his myspace he can at least scratch alright. I don't think this ad is as bad as some of you are making it out to be.
Dyer 5:21 AM - 26 January, 2010
So you've all got valid arguments. I was heated earlier but I'd thought I'd chime in again with a leveled head. After getting put on blast today (Especially on Twitter)... I was able to take a step back and reevaluate my Ad. In hindsight, I definitely agree that 'Undercut' was poor wordage on my part. So to all the hard working DJs in the LA area, I sincerely offer a genuine apology. For real. I've edited my post and I invite you to reread it to make sure its kosher. That being said....

This is a capitalist market. There is ALWAYS someone out there willing to do your job for less, regardless of your profession. Wether you have more skill or value is to be determined by the customer only. I am merely tying to infiltrate the market place in whatever way I know how. A relocation can be very hard on your network, and even more so for DJs. I'm sure many of you get work based on who you know, not what you know. Myself included. But I'm just trying to get in where I fit in. I realize that offering lower quotes reduces the overall rate for all DJs on the market. But these are hard times and people in all professions are competing more fiercely than ever.

Also, to those who blew this out of proportion and talked smack. I am NOT a rookie DJ. I've been DJing for 10+ years and have very much paid my dues. And Nobody offered to play for free! But again, new region means starting from the bottom all over again. I really shouldn't have to defend myself to this extent. I just really been dwelling on this all day. What's weird is I've had this ad up for a while. Infact this very Ad got me a subcontractor gig with a Ent Co. that does a wide variety of events. The recruited my from this very ad (previous wordage) and I have been working for them for half a year making $25/hr. Senior DJs get $50/hr but AGAIN I'm paying dues. check it out if you care sosrhythm.com This is my source for event premium items such as staging, lighting, displays, etc.

Anyways... Check me out if you think I'm some bitch-made bedroom douche. You'll see a track record. Check my myspace.com/djdyer. Check the Flyers folder for previous events. DnB and Scratching got me in this, and Hip Hop kept me in. I started and internationally distributed record label, I've been doing Radio (Internet/FM) for 4+ years, And I've played alongside some of my heroes in the game.

Lastly, I want to make it clear that NO disrespect was intended to all the real DJs that work hard at their craft. Some that I admire called me out on Twitter (Fingaz, Beatnick, Subject13) and I rectified the situation. No Harm no Foul. All's well that ends well.

PS... (Since I never post on here):

If you can't get loose on the fader, than you aren't a DJ.
If you don't own vinyl, than you aren't a DJ
and If you don't PURCHASE the music you love, than you are just a Fraud!

Good night
-D
DJ Awyse 5:57 AM - 26 January, 2010
Man I sure hate capitalism when it doesn't work in my favor too guys!
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:51 PM - 26 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly, so why is he saying he will undercut them...its a shame that people do this...if you been in the game 10 years and say you paid your dues blah blah blah then you shouldnt be pimping yourself and every other DJ out. Dont people get the point here. There should be some quality control in the DJ scene, skills should equal grade of pay...if your a wack noob/wavie etc you should be paid bottom dollar and if you are a DJ of 10 years+ who has paid his dues then you should be asking...scratch that, demanding more. And dont use the excuse that a bar owner/promoter will only go and hire a wack noob/wavie in your place because that wont last long when all he is doing is crappy little mash-ups all night long.

But what chance have we got as a DJ community if we get reputable DJ's (Im taking his word for it) saying he will undercut all local DJ's. Come on people, wisen up. How the hell did he expect not to get a backlash from people!. And for the people who dont see anything wrong with it then you obviously dont live in LA so think it dont affect you but really think what you would feel like if this guy moved to your town and took your spot because he is charging a lot less?...what happens then?...you charge less, he then charges less again and the DJ's are once again looking like douchebags who are selling themselves and their culture down the river to the delight of the promoter/club owner. What he should do is approach local spot owners and ask for a chance to prove he is better than the current DJ. Undercutting?...in my book thats a bitch move, simple and plain.

if he was planning on making a career out of undercutting then yes you would be correct, but how i read it(and how he verified) is hes using this as a chance to build a network and make connections, people keep saying hes charging dramatically less but this dude may get phone calls and end up doing it for 10 bucks less then once he shows his skills he tells the owner next time hes charging 100 bucks more,
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:51 PM - 26 January, 2010
Quote:
Man I sure hate capitalism when it doesn't work in my favor too guys!

+1
DJ Alkemy 2:12 AM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
if he was planning on making a career out of undercutting then yes you would be correct, but how i read it(and how he verified) is hes using this as a chance to build a network and make connections, people keep saying hes charging dramatically less but this dude may get phone calls and end up doing it for 10 bucks less then once he shows his skills he tells the owner next time hes charging 100 bucks more,

Building a network and making connections by taking the next mans job?...really?...and what self respecting club owner/promoter is gonna hire some dude because he charges 10 bucks less?...please...and worse still, what self respecting club owner/promoter will not laugh when the same undercutting DJ then decides, all of a sudden, that he wants more money!...that is like a total 360 in morals..forget it...I still think that its a bitch move, and no editing of an original craigslist ad will make me think any different.
DJ Goce 3:24 AM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
The recruited my from this very ad (previous wordage) and I have been working for them for half a year making $25/hr. Senior DJs get $50/hr but AGAIN I'm paying dues.
-D

What's a senior dj? 60+?
latindj 4:49 AM - 27 January, 2010
^hey! I resemble that remark...
the_black_one 7:44 AM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
^hey! I resemble that remark...

wise!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:36 PM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:

Building a network and making connections by taking the next mans job?.

DJs dont hire DJs owners\managers\promoters hire DJs and they hire them based on bringing in heads, what is he supposed to do wait for the old DJs to retire then hope he sees the add in the paper so as not to take anyones job, come on every employed DJ here who isnt working at a new freshly built club is in a spot because they took someones job

Quote:

...really?...and what self respecting club owner/promoter is gonna hire some dude because he charges 10 bucks less?...please...

10 bucks less was an exageration but being competitive in your rates isnt a bad thing, theres a difference in beating a price and being a freejay

Quote:

and worse still, what self respecting club owner/promoter will not laugh when the same undercutting DJ then decides, all of a sudden, that he wants more money!...that is like a total 360 in morals..forget it.

youve never asked for a raise after proving yourself at a job?? Of course the promoter wont want to but if he gets in there and does a bang up job and builds connections with the crowd then the promoter will have to make the choice of payin him the rate he wants or have him go to another club and take his crowd with him.....and when he goes to that new club he can charge what other area djs charge because he now has a following of heads to bring with him to add to that spots crowd and make them more money
DJ Alkemy 3:00 PM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
DJs dont hire DJs owners\managers\promoters hire DJs and they hire them based on bringing in heads, what is he supposed to do wait for the old DJs to retire then hope he sees the add in the paper so as not to take anyones job, come on every employed DJ here who isnt working at a new freshly built club is in a spot because they took someones job.

Yeah, but probably not by undercutting them after just moving to the place.

Quote:
10 bucks less was an exageration but being competitive in your rates isnt a bad thing, theres a difference in beating a price and being a freejay.

And in my book, being competative should mean behind the TT's, not promising to undercut ALL local DJ's..that aint competative, thats plain hijacking..like I said, what happens when the same DJ then offers to do it cheaper than the undercutter, where does it end?

Quote:
youve never asked for a raise after proving yourself at a job?? Of course the promoter wont want to but if he gets in there and does a bang up job and builds connections with the crowd then the promoter will have to make the choice of payin him the rate he wants or have him go to another club and take his crowd with him.....and when he goes to that new club he can charge what other area djs charge because he now has a following of heads to bring with him to add to that spots crowd and make them more money

Yeah, Ive asked for a raise when I have proved I am good at a job but the job was a set wage and didnt account for some guy coming in and saying he will do it for cheaper!. If I was an employer and some guy blatantly say's he will undercut the DJ I have in place I would lose respect for him but hey, if he wants to pimp himself out for a fag wage then fine but the moment he comes up to me asking for a raise?...get the fuck outta here, there are a ton of guy's who do what you do, maybe for cheaper....see where I am going with this?...thats the mentality these club owners have when they get DJ's doing bitch moves like under fucking cutting!...and the thing with taking the crowd with you?...I really dont think there are that many DJ's that can say patrons of a certain club will follow you to the next spot if you leave, a few maybe but not enough to worry a manager. I would piss my pants if some DJ said that to me, go on then, f*** off and take ya 5 friends with you, there will be another 5 taking their place in the que outside LMAO.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:30 PM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:

And in my book, being competative should mean behind the TT's, not promising to undercut ALL local DJ's..that aint competative, thats plain hijacking..like I said, what happens when the same DJ then offers to do it cheaper than the undercutter, where does it end?

And how does he get his foot in the door to show he is superior on the tables?? Especially when he has made no contacts and has no network in place that know what he is capable of, make a demo? It just get stacked with the othe 100 demos they get a week and besides most owners have no clue what the difference is between a good dj and a wavy especially when now adays a majority of the people multitrack and anuto sync their demo anyway...i guess the best way then is to make friends with the dj because djs are moral people and once the working dj sees this guy is better hell gladly step down right??

Thats the loophole i see to the undercutter argument on here, everyone says it should be about skill and undercutters should use skill not price to get a job, that they should let the better DJs have the job, but i have yet to see even 1 DJ step down volentarily from a position because there was an unemployed DJ who was better than them...not sure why this mentaility only works 1 way

oh and

[quoute]
I really dont think there are that many DJ's that can say patrons of a certain club will follow you to the next spot if you leave, a few maybe but not enough to worry a manager. I would piss my pants if some DJ said that to me, go on then, f*** off and take ya 5 friends with you, there will be another 5 taking their place in the que outside LMAO.

if your good with people and network right you can most definatley do this....i had an owner laugh when i threatened to leave with my crowd and that club wasnt open very much longer after i left...building a loyal following (even if its just friends) is mad important in this game
DJ Alkemy 3:52 PM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
And how does he get his foot in the door to show he is superior on the tables?? Especially when he has made no contacts and has no network in place that know what he is capable of, make a demo? It just get stacked with the othe 100 demos they get a week and besides most owners have no clue what the difference is between a good dj and a wavy especially when now adays a majority of the people multitrack and anuto sync their demo anyway...i guess the best way then is to make friends with the dj because djs are moral people and once the working dj sees this guy is better hell gladly step down right??

Thats the loophole i see to the undercutter argument on here, everyone says it should be about skill and undercutters should use skill not price to get a job, that they should let the better DJs have the job, but i have yet to see even 1 DJ step down volentarily from a position because there was an unemployed DJ who was better than them...not sure why this mentaility only works 1 way

Dont agree with you on the mixtape point, they are still a great way to get jobs. Get an agent, get him to approach club owners, promoters etc. He will sell you the right way without pulling undercutting moves. There are at least 4-5 nights in a clubs week so there is always a spot for a good DJ. And If the manager approaches me with the info that he wants to give another DJ a little spot then I need to show him that he dont need that, if he still wants to give the guy some time then either a) I am obviously not doing my job good enough and this guy is better than me and if so, tough cookie, thats the breaks, go back, practise more and get better..or b) he has undercut me!...thats what would piss me off.

Quote:
if your good with people and network right you can most definatley do this....i had an owner laugh when i threatened to leave with my crowd and that club wasnt open very much longer after i left...building a loyal following (even if its just friends) is mad important in this game

If your right on this, which for the majority, I dont think you are, It is more important to build a relationship with the club owner so that when you get assholes offering less money to DJ he will see that you have brought a crowd with you and realise it is not in his best interests to get rid of you for this guy. But like you said earlier...

Quote:
come on every employed DJ here who isnt working at a new freshly built club is in a spot because they took someones job.

This tells me that club owners and loyalty dont mix then, and the "Ill take my crowd with me" line is a joke....and by the way, and Im not being condescending here, how many followers you got and how big was the spot you played in?...if he had to close because you left then jesus, you are either an awesome DJ or his place is about 100 capacity!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:22 PM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:

Dont agree with you on the mixtape point, they are still a great way to get jobs. Get an agent, get him to approach club owners, promoters etc. He will sell you the right way without pulling undercutting moves. There are at least 4-5 nights in a clubs week so there is always a spot for a good DJ. And If the manager approaches me with the info that he wants to give another DJ a little spot then I need to show him that he dont need that, if he still wants to give the guy some time then either a) I am obviously not doing my job good enough and this guy is better than me and if so, tough cookie, thats the breaks, go back, practise more and get better..or b) he has undercut me!...thats what would piss me off.

ok i think i figured out where our different viewpoints come from, and also why this DJ may view his approach as the right way, down in our area of the woods (cant speak for orlanda specifically but i know many areas of florida my way i can speak for) the clubs dont have a 4 - 5 night window, they have fri night sat night and if their lucky they can pull a thurs but that iffy depending on the area. So when your working with a 2 day window theres really no room to pick up an off day to "prove yourself" your either playing prime time or your not playing, also most clubs get 1 rresident and they stick with that one so theres not alot of variety or oppritunities to get time slots, and the reigons are def not big enough to warrent agents so none exist

Quote:

This tells me that club owners and loyalty dont mix then, and the "Ill take my crowd with me" line is a joke....and by the way, and Im not being condescending here, how many followers you got and how big was the spot you played in?...if he had to close because you left then jesus, you are either an awesome DJ or his place is about 100 capacity!

Most of my venues run between 500 and 1500 max, which for my area is pretty good. I wouldnt say that i have all that many followers as much as im assoiatied with the whos who of my areas night life, i run with alot of the people who make the area tick so if i go somewhere these guys go and when they go lots of other people follow. I acutually burnt some bridges with some DJ friends of mine at a party one time by pulling that stunt....i got into an argument with the guy running the party because there were 3 names on the flier, but last minute 2 (ill be honest here) BETTER djs decided they wanted to be down with it and spin the day of so he decided to give them my time slot, move me to an obscene hour (a time everyone would DEFINATYLEY be gone by if we were even still open) and spit the money 2 extra ways, I told him that was some fuck shit and told my people we were leaving....about 150 of the 200 somthing people at the part left when me and my boys walked out the door....the other djs spinning were HELLA pissed and in retrospect is somewhat of a fucked up thing to do but oh well. The club that acuatually shut down occured because i quit over the manager trying to tell me what to spin, alot of my crowd was into my kind of music and left and never came back, so the owner hired a dj from another club who brought a hood crowd who ruined the image of the place and caused it to shut down after a shooting happned in it
DJ Alkemy 4:48 PM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
....i got into an argument with the guy running the party because there were 3 names on the flier, but last minute 2 (ill be honest here) BETTER djs decided they wanted to be down with it and spin the day of so he decided to give them my time slot, move me to an obscene hour (a time everyone would DEFINATYLEY be gone by if we were even still open) and spit the money 2 extra ways, I told him that was some fuck shit and told my people we were leaving

This is the same principles as undercutting but I can at least, with this, understand what the guy running the party was doing..getting 2 better DJ's in is what we call hard lines and you gotta take them punches when they come....the remedy?..get better on the tables.. but how would that piss you off but getting undercut wouldnt!...what is the remedy to that?, charge less, then he does, then you do, so on and so on...seems like you have it the wrong way round to me.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:58 PM - 27 January, 2010
i never said getting undercut wouldnt bother me of course it would but losing a DJing gig in any way shape or form would bother me, hell it bothered me when i quit a residency lol. All im saying is advertising that you have a competive price isnt wrong period its busniess its how the busniess world works, walmart advertises the gaurenteed lowest price and i bet about 90% of the board shops there and enjoys the discounts, i just see it from both angles. And even for the people who are saying hes wrong for saying he will undercut local DJs, BUT he also said that all the local DJs overcharge, its very possible that a high rate in orlando is an undercutting price in LA and hes not even compromising his beliefs to get it. Its good busniess to wave your flag to get employers (and customers) attn then when when you are positioned to be able to do better to use it to your advantage
DJ Alkemy 5:27 PM - 27 January, 2010
ah, we are never gonna agree on this..we are wasting valuable page space...I think it sucks, you not so much, end of our discussion :-)
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:28 PM - 27 January, 2010
works for me, shakes hands and moves onto next argument lol
DJ Alkemy 5:29 PM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
moves onto next argument lol

hahahaha