DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What is that "Smart Crate" Feature ???

Cid K 12:53 AM - 15 January, 2010
Maybe i didn't understand correctly, but what is that Smart Crate Feature exactly ??
djemkay 1:32 AM - 15 January, 2010
similar to the smart crates in itunes. It would allow you to set certain filters to a crate. So for instance it would put all the songs of a certain artist into a smart crate. And it would always update when knew songs are added that fit the filter.
Cid K 1:39 AM - 15 January, 2010
I seee, interesting... :-D
AlexRage 1:42 AM - 15 January, 2010
bpm crates, genre crates, crates for songs with intros...
djemkay 1:46 AM - 15 January, 2010
yeah dont know the specifics yet but should make crates easier to make and use without having to go the itunes route
DJ Alkemy 1:47 AM - 15 January, 2010
I dont see the huge thing with this...I already have my crates as so:

Hip-Hop
UK Hip-Hop
Classic Hip-Hip
Charty BS
Classic Funk-Soul
Dance-Drum N Bass-Electro
Rock-Pop
Battle Breaks
Instrumentals
Acapellas

Whenever a track is added it goes into the relevant crate with the bpm, artist and genre info filled in and thats it.
djemkay 1:51 AM - 15 January, 2010
yes thats good but know you can choose to just create a new create lets say with all the songs with 128 bpm and ssl will put all the songs that fit the criteria in this crate.
DJ Alkemy 1:59 AM - 15 January, 2010
Would you group by kbps?...all different genres in one crate?...its because when I add a file that I add the relevant tags...(bpm, bitrate,genre etc) that it makes it easy for me. I do that then just put them in the relevant genre folder...then when im in SSL I have all files in genre specific crates and i can look at them by bitrate, bpm etc.
djemkay 2:07 AM - 15 January, 2010
yeah i currently do the same thing now and yes you could potentially group by kbps atleast u can in itunes. And you would be able to add multiple filters to the crate so you could either have all the 128 bpm tracks or only the deep house 128 bmp tracks etc. Its just a handy feature that could make it easier for organization on the fly
DJMaytag 2:07 AM - 15 January, 2010
any chance you can set a smart crate to grab all the files in a certain folder? it'd be nice to make sure everything in a folder is loaded up, as i've had some situations where i've looked for a track, only to find that it wasn't added anywhere in SSL yet.
djemkay 2:13 AM - 15 January, 2010
yes that would be a really good idea as it would make it very easy to make sure all the songs of a folder are in a new crate and plus have it always update it for you. Im not sure exactly if location will be something you will be able to select but i think you can in itunes so it prob would be in 2.0 I guees we will have to wait and see next week
Dj Nyce 3:46 PM - 15 January, 2010
smart crates would allow music to AUTOMATICALLY be added to crate. this is huge. now if SSL would "AUTOMATICALLY" add new music to ssl i would ditch iTunes.

from the vids i've seen you still have to manually add tunes to your library. the smart crates only work on files in your library and work just like itunes (genre is douchebag music).
Cid K 3:54 PM - 15 January, 2010
Yeah i would of like that other feature better, as when ever you add new music on your drive, it would auto populate inside of Itch/SSL.

Meh maybe in a future update.
DJ Alkemy 4:25 PM - 15 January, 2010
Quote:
smart crates would allow music to AUTOMATICALLY be added to crate. this is huge. now if SSL would "AUTOMATICALLY" add new music to ssl i would ditch iTunes.

from the vids i've seen you still have to manually add tunes to your library. the smart crates only work on files in your library and work just like itunes (genre is douchebag music).

what the hell does "genre is douchebag music" mean?...and what is the big deal of when you add a new track to put it manually into SSL...I really don't see the big deal here.
Cid K 4:36 PM - 15 January, 2010
Well am just saying, Traktor, VDJ and pretty much any other apps on the market. The folder or crate in the application are directly linked with the one on the hard drive so when ever something is added, a folder or music it populates automatically.

I mean i got used to do it manualy i was just saying i would of loved that other feature more then that smart crate thingy.
FunkyRob 8:41 PM - 15 January, 2010
I like smart crates for things like

80's, 90's.

I used to use itunes smart playlists, but sometimes there's delays when loading them in serato.

This IS a good feature.
Cid K 8:57 PM - 15 January, 2010
Yes i agree it's a very nice feature :-D
Dj Nyce 11:57 PM - 15 January, 2010
doucebag music was my attempt at being funny; its not a real genre. i could've easily have put rap or rock, but doucebag music popped in my head.

anyways, automatically adding new music to the library is a big deal. so much that there are apps and scripts to handle the task. final scratch 1.0 did it for christ sake. this would make music management so much simpler. but if you like doing it manually kudos for you.
the_black_one 11:59 PM - 15 January, 2010
only the most important feature to get rid of itunes!!!!!
Cid K 12:04 AM - 16 January, 2010
@ Dj Nyce
Totaly agree with you , that feature is something ive been wanting since i started using Itch/SSL.
the_black_one 12:10 AM - 16 January, 2010
on more itunes for me after i get 2.0 . All the other features are really nice but his one has to be my fave!
Nicky Blunt 4:30 AM - 16 January, 2010
smart crates is a feature we have been advocating for a long while. glad its happened. From what i have seen/heard the smart crates will show as blue rather than brown.

Making them distinguishable from the normal crates.
Nicky Blunt 4:31 AM - 16 January, 2010
Also 2.0 public will not be released on monday. I'll bet my house on that!
dj_soo 6:32 AM - 16 January, 2010
i hope it's as robust as the itunes smart playlist so i can finally ditch itunes altogether...
DJDeluchi 1:52 PM - 16 January, 2010
i have just been playing with the smart crate features on my friends setup what a cracking idea its going to make some creasy play lists as there are lots of parameters to play with

like we set up rules in 1 create for electro with a bpm of 128 bpm and it pulled up everything it could but missed alot because of poor tagging in my friends library

the feature is awsome tho
Dj Nyce 3:42 PM - 16 January, 2010
i hope this feature will encourage some of you lazy bums to start tagging properly
dj_soo 5:47 PM - 16 January, 2010
the biggest pain in the ass to starting any new system of tagging is going back into your library and back-tagging.

I've wanted to implement some new keywords in my collection but having to go back through 12000 tracks to re-tag is daunting at best...
Nicky Blunt 9:49 PM - 16 January, 2010
only 12,000 man my library is well over 4x that!!!!! Im just glad i started with codes in the 1st place.

Smart crates will be a breeze to make the transition. I allready use the same system via iTunes, only now it means i can drop that sack of shit & my serato will load quicker again!!!
Woot Woot!!!!
the_black_one 9:51 PM - 16 January, 2010
dougs scripts or scratch tools?
Nicky Blunt 9:53 PM - 16 January, 2010
neither i just need to make the crates will take me 10 min tops!!!!
the_black_one 10:03 PM - 16 January, 2010
I have been using itunes from the get go! I takes an ass load of time for my music to load.I'm really looking towards dumping itunes
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:13 AM - 20 January, 2010
do you think this will start an iTunes vs. Serato battle? LOL
j/k
orbit122 6:27 PM - 30 April, 2010
Please Serato folks! give me the option to attach my crates to folders on my drive. This would do me a load better than this new "smart crate" feature
DJ DisGrace 6:38 PM - 30 April, 2010
Quote:
Please Serato folks! give me the option to attach my crates to folders on my drive. This would do me a load better than this new "smart crate" feature

u still need to build overviews though.....
anthracite98 7:35 PM - 30 April, 2010
For me, the best use of smart crates is my "radio" and "clean" folder for when I do the super-super-super picky corporate gigs (think baseball stadium) that I can't have anything offensive played at. very useful for scrolling as my brain freaks out a bit trying to filter for ONLY clean songs...
DJ Matthew Sol 7:35 PM - 1 May, 2010
Why can't crates AUTO update from my music folders? This seems like it should be extremely easy to have as a feature. I manage over 20,000 songs in my folders and it is a ridiculously time consuming task when I have to update each crate manually. Please SERATO...make this happen!
the_black_one 7:55 PM - 1 May, 2010
Quote:
Why can't crates AUTO update from my music folders? This seems like it should be extremely easy to have as a feature. I manage over 20,000 songs in my folders and it is a ridiculously time consuming task when I have to update each crate manually. Please SERATO...make this happen!

i still use itunes for that reason
2Cuchi 11:16 PM - 1 May, 2010
Quote:

4 Real!!!!!
dj lad 11:20 PM - 1 May, 2010
Quote:

This.
1000000x times this.
Cid K 1:45 AM - 2 May, 2010
Ive been requesting that from day one..
4mydawgz 11:48 PM - 11 May, 2010
I thought smart crates would allow you to update crates when you updated folders on your cpu. say for instance, you added a new song to a folder. it would automatically added to the crate. now that's smart.
PMYSKO 2:10 AM - 19 November, 2010
Ditto!!
thewevel 2:35 AM - 19 November, 2010
www.scratchtools.de

when i copy stuff to my dj music folder, i just run the scratch tools sync and bam, it's ready for me to use in scratch live. i figured more people here would use it
PMYSKO 2:51 AM - 19 November, 2010
Nice thanks for the heads up but I'd rather the manufacture make it.
Dj BuddyLove 5:12 AM - 19 November, 2010
Quote:
Ditto!!

seriously..

fuck come on already
Cid K 4:15 PM - 19 November, 2010
+1 on this...
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:25 PM - 19 November, 2010
Quote:
Ditto!!

I dont see the problem, if you want a crate to mimik a folder, open the file browser, open the crate, ctrl A, drag to crate, all the tracks will be in the rate, annalyse and your done
Cid K 4:41 PM - 19 November, 2010
yeh but this process needed to be done each time you add some new track onto those folders...

Wouldnt it be great if it would Automatically update ?
SeanDiamond 9:56 AM - 25 November, 2010
I'm with Cid K - an autoscan feature should scan the folders your crates reference and look for new additions. That's how most DJ's I know organise their music.
dj_soo 2:32 AM - 26 November, 2010
using your own folders is so archaic - smart crates/playlists all the way.
Dj_Danny 2:55 AM - 5 December, 2010
Unreal so I just updated to 2.1.1, since I had heard of smart crates. Jesus SERATO can you JUST ADD THE AUTO UPDATE CRATES BASED ON FOLDER FEATURE????

I am tired of running ScratchTools before gigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nik39 11:40 PM - 5 December, 2010
Hey, what's wrong with ScratchTools??

;)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:50 PM - 5 December, 2010
Quote:
Hey, what's wrong with ScratchTools??

;)

2008 - Mac GUI request...

Hey Nik - sorry had to do it - LOL.
nik39 12:19 AM - 6 December, 2010
Haha.

Sorry, no time. :-P
Cid K 7:50 PM - 9 December, 2010
Yeah Nik a GUI would be off the hook :-D
daft_soul 8:35 PM - 9 December, 2010
Quote:

Ditto!!

+ Add another to the list.
Dj BuddyLove 9:32 PM - 9 December, 2010
Quote:
Yeah Nik a GUI would be off the hook :-D

yes please!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:21 PM - 9 December, 2010
Maybe Serato and Nik should work together and incorporate ScratchTools into ScratchLive
Nicky Blunt 1:33 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
Maybe Serato and Nik should work together and incorporate ScratchTools into ScratchLive

+1 that would be awesome!

I really want to use scratch tools but I can because im not a computer Genious, & dont know how to run of command lines. Which I belive you have to do.

So to have this added into serato would be epic to say the least.
Dj BuddyLove 9:19 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

+1 that would be awesome!

I really want to use scratch tools but I can because im not a computer Genious, & dont know how to run of command lines. Which I belive you have to do.

So to have this added into serato would be epic to say the least.

yep
Nicky Blunt 9:25 PM - 10 December, 2010
cant! not can! But im sure yall knew what I ment!
Dj BuddyLove 9:26 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
cant! not can! But im sure yall knew what I ment!

yep
Cid K 12:31 AM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:

That would be Awsome!
RogerRabbit 3:04 AM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:

I doubt the scratch live programmers would need help writing code similar scratch tools..
nik39 6:33 AM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I doubt the scratch live programmers would need help writing code similar scratch tools..

+1.

Though I a have very cool (IMHO) feature coming up with the next release [no gui]. ;)
Dj BuddyLove 6:51 AM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

+1.

Though I a have very cool (IMHO) feature coming up with the next release [no gui]. ;)

Ahhhhhhh GRRRRRRRRRRRR.....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:15 PM - 14 December, 2010
Darn - No GUI - oh well
Movendi 9:53 AM - 7 May, 2011
++++1 on auto fill feature
DeeWhy 8:17 PM - 4 December, 2011
What I would like to know is can I set up Smart Crates that are a combination of my other crates? I don't mean from folders elsewhere in my computer, I mean other crates in my Serato. As an example, I want to set up a friday night crate that combines my "Party Funk" and "Party House/Breaks" crates, and for it to automatically update whenever I add something to that crate. I don't see anything in the "Smart Crate Rules" that allows me to do that. Can anyone help?

Chur.
RogerRabbit 8:59 PM - 4 December, 2011
You are going to have to add "Party Funk" and "Party House/Breaks" to the id3 tags first, maybe in Genre field or comments field - where ever you prefer.
Then will need to add 2 or 3 rules to the smart crate depending if you define House and Breaks separately

Example:

Genre is Party Funk
Genre is Party House/Breaks"
or
Genre is Party Funk
Genre is Party House
Genre is Party Breaks

and check " Match all the following rules" checkbox
DeeWhy 11:58 PM - 4 December, 2011
Thanks man- I'll give that a try
manofstars 1:18 PM - 24 September, 2012
++++++++++++++++1 on auto fill feature
monojack 12:59 PM - 12 February, 2013
Hey bwoy still no autoupdate function? MEH
WHY CANT U JUST ADD "LOCALIZATION" function to smart crates rules? Would help a bit INSTANTLY
Sam Soul 8:18 AM - 11 July, 2014
Does Smart Crates move the items into the folder, or does it copy the playlist items into the folder? In other words, if I set one up for 100 BPM, will it then move the music from the original folder into the 100 BPM folder. Or will it create a copy of the 100 BPM song in the new Smart Crate and keep the original one in the old folder? Help
djnak 8:47 AM - 11 July, 2014
you are not copying or moving the file from its original location (On your Hard Drive) it is the same as dragging and droping files from your hard drive to a crate in serato EXCEPT it does it for you with the parameters you set....
Sam Soul 8:50 AM - 11 July, 2014
Thanks, djnak for the response. My question was more about whether it would remove the file from other serato folders and into the new smart playlist.
djnak 9:17 AM - 11 July, 2014
Sorry
Quote:
you are not copying or moving the file from its original location (On your Hard Drive)

Or other crates...so No it does not
Sam Soul 9:34 AM - 11 July, 2014
Cool. Thanks a bunch man.
ToddLarBoy 5:13 AM - 16 March, 2015
Looks like smart crates are in long need of some feature updates. There were requests on here from 2011 to have an "auto import" location when Serato always scans for new music.

I have another one. Why can't we use to "played" or "unplayed" status from history as a filter?
So I could have:
Songs I play, that are also >110 BPM and Top40 etc.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:39 PM - 16 March, 2015
Quote:
Looks like smart crates are in long need of some feature updates. There were requests on here from 2011 to have an "auto import" location when Serato always scans for new music.

There is an "auto import" feature. It's been there since the days of ScratchLive but not many people know about it. Here ya go ---> serato.com
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:40 PM - 16 March, 2015
It's been around since ScratchLive 1.8.2
eugguy 4:24 PM - 16 March, 2015
Ever since using smart crates....life has been good.
ToddLarBoy 5:11 PM - 16 March, 2015
I actually didn't need auto import myself (just saw the requests above)
But what I DO need is additional filters like "played" and "unplayed"

Or maybe also "songs not in a crate"