DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best Bpm for House Tracks

Lawrence 2:47 AM - 13 January, 2010
I play house mainly and 80% of my tracks are recorded at 128 bpm. To get people really going should I increase bpm gradually to 132, 134, 136, 138+ to build energy or are tracks recorded at 128bpm because it suits the that particular track or style of house and its best to play it at that bpm.

This has prob been discussed before but I would appreciate any comments.
Cid K 3:11 AM - 13 January, 2010
house is usually played between 128 and 132... Higher then that will feel like it's going too fast.
terrible1fi 3:15 AM - 13 January, 2010
you're getting dangerously close to hardstyle...PROCEED WITH CAUTION
Corex 3:17 AM - 13 January, 2010
I spin everything at +4 on my 1200s so I guess when people are dancing shit is going waaaay too fast haha
Cid K 3:18 AM - 13 January, 2010
hahhahahhahaha :-P
lost vegas 3:33 AM - 13 January, 2010
If your playing real house music like deep, tech, funky, soulful ect. ect. then you should never go over 130 because you'll kill the whole vibe that house is trying to get across!! Now if your playing that hot trash that people call house like electro/top 40 remix bullshit then play at what ever bpm you like because it sounds like ass anyway!!
Cid K 4:03 AM - 13 January, 2010
Amen :-)
dj_soo 4:12 AM - 13 January, 2010
house can be anywhere from 115-140 but it's usually around 125ish
DJ_Gadabout 4:12 AM - 13 January, 2010
Amen x 2 =]
Swizzle 4:38 AM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
If your playing real house music like deep, tech, funky, soulful ect. ect. then you should never go over 130 because you'll kill the whole vibe that house is trying to get across!! Now if your playing that hot trash that people call house like electro/top 40 remix bullshit then play at what ever bpm you like because it sounds like ass anyway!!

lol

ouch.
Sticky K 8:09 AM - 13 January, 2010
I normally play house \ African house between 123 and 128. I may go above 128 depending on the track. I try not to take the tracks far away from their original bpm.
Evin Kepik 9:48 AM - 13 January, 2010
couldn't have said it better! long live the REAL house music!

I play my house tracks around 125.
DJ Michael Basic 9:58 AM - 13 January, 2010
128 is perfect mathematically, because every 32 bars is exactly 1 minute!
Maskrider 10:08 AM - 13 January, 2010
I was about to say the same thing....lol
DJ Michael Basic 10:15 AM - 13 January, 2010
I actually wonder about that...because so much of what we like is subconscious I wonder if we naturally like music played at 128bpm on some level.
djchope 11:18 AM - 13 January, 2010
Pop'ish Sound - Dance/House - Techno - Tigres Del Norte
120--------------------------------125----------------------130-------
Quote:

post fail!
Cid K 1:58 PM - 13 January, 2010
Epic Fail hehehehehe
valdini 3:38 PM - 13 January, 2010
Never go above 127...absolute tops...ever...ever...125-126 is max for me.

...but I play regular 'house' ...no electrotranceprogressive nonsense ;)

Speeding a track up does not = crowd banger.

Try looking into all that Harmonic-Key mixing stuff if you want to try and lift your crowd - I am too lazy to do it, but have friends that have nailed it and it certainly has an effect one done correctly.

K
sixxx 3:54 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
I actually wonder about that...because so much of what we like is subconscious I wonder if we naturally like music played at 128bpm on some gay level.

mmmmh
sixxx 3:54 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

post fail!

lol
Dj.Mojo 4:31 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I actually wonder about that...because so much of what we like is subconscious I wonder if we naturally like music played at 128bpm on some gay level.

mmmmh

One day you will get the homophobic award.
www.cartoonstock.com
DJ TOGTFO 4:55 PM - 13 January, 2010
this has got to be a top 10, dumbest thread of the year candidate.
Cid K 5:09 PM - 13 January, 2010
Lol :-D
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:42 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
I play house mainly and 80% of my tracks are recorded at 128 bpm. To get people really going should I increase bpm gradually to 132, 134, 136, 138+ to build energy or are tracks recorded at 128bpm because it suits the that particular track or style of house and its best to play it at that bpm.

The fastest house track I own is 132 bpm, and I ALWAYS play it slower than that. The majority of what I own is 123-126.
sixxx 5:47 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mmmmh

One day you will get the homophobic award.
www.cartoonstock.com

One day you'll get the most gullible award.

:)
Maskrider 6:31 PM - 13 January, 2010
Sixxx and his Gayness.
Beanfish 6:43 PM - 13 January, 2010
126.23157 and 3/12
Justin Styles 7:00 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:

I love people that are purists... people that rag on current house or are convinced there's no good hip hop anymore. Welcome to the evolution of everyything. Why are you even on the Scratch forums, shouldnt you be preaching that vinyl will always be king and cdjs/scratch ruined mixing?
Corex 8:15 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I love people that are purists... people that rag on current house or are convinced there's no good hip hop anymore. Welcome to the evolution of everyything. Why are you even on the Scratch forums, shouldnt you be preaching that vinyl will always be king and cdjs/scratch ruined mixing?

+1 I don't see any problems with electro or some of the new house that comes out these days. All the old cats seem to got their panties in a bunch.
lost vegas 8:31 PM - 13 January, 2010
Aaawwwhhh did you guys get butt hurt because I said somthing bad about electro?? I'm sorry!!! Trust me you'll look back in like 5 years on some of the stuff your spinning today and say I can't belive I was playing that!!! We've all done it, I know for a fact there's stuff I played 5 years ago that a wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole! So don't give me that "he must be afraid of the new sounds".... If it was better and not a step backwards I would support it but till electro grows up, it sucks!!!
diego vega 8:37 PM - 13 January, 2010
I play minimal techno/house and tech house around 122 and 125 bpms. Try lowering bpm feel the groove and the bass! Too high bpm and you kill the vibe it just becomes too hard..
C. William 9:06 PM - 13 January, 2010
i spin electro shit cuz bitches dance to it in the ATL
Justin Styles 9:35 PM - 13 January, 2010
Quote:
Aaawwwhhh did you guys get butt hurt because I said somthing bad about electro?? I'm sorry!!! Trust me you'll look back in like 5 years on some of the stuff your spinning today and say I can't belive I was playing that!!! We've all done it, I know for a fact there's stuff I played 5 years ago that a wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole! So don't give me that "he must be afraid of the new sounds".... If it was better and not a step backwards I would support it but till electro grows up, it sucks!!!

I'm not saying that I won't say that about the music I play now. There's plenty of music I played 10 years ago I won't touch now. As far that goes, there's plenty of vintage house tracks I won't touch. Yes, there are classics, there will be of every genre, even electro.

There's lots of really shitty epic trancy breakdowns that make the masses want to put their hands up and cry, but there's plenty of classics. To simply slag an entire genre is being awfully close minded. Something which imo house isn't about.
Joshua Carl 9:50 PM - 13 January, 2010
its just genre differences... each are played quite differently by the people who excel in that particular field..

again, we get into splitting hairs on genre labels, and my genre is better than yours,

but house, in its truest form, as correctly mentioned, is in the 115-125 area on the whole, there are always exceptions...
not that any one is any better than the other, thats a matter of taste.
and if you lack taste...well thats a completely different thread.
rest assured, your taste generally progress over the years... 9/10 times the stuff
you liked before u started spinning is NOT what you like after 10 years of it.

and as someone mentioned... pitch +(dramamtic +) does NOT equal energy.
though pitch - can hurt a little
lost vegas 9:54 PM - 13 January, 2010
Ok Justin styles I'll agree I shouldn't bash the whole genre so let's get back to the original post... What bpm do you play your house at? LOL No more fighting:)
Sticky K 10:07 PM - 13 January, 2010
I don't really care about the different types of house. I don't discriminate. I play it AS LONG AS IT MOVES MY SOUL!
Justin Styles 10:42 PM - 13 January, 2010
Haha.. depends on if it's electro or not ;) (okay i keed)

To answer the question more on topic, it really depends on which type of house I'm playing. Deeper house is almost always 120-125. As already stated, bpm does not match energy, but typically in my sets I tend to play higher energy the higher bpm I go. (if that makes sense)

You can easily maintain a consistent bpm and change energy through the music. It's more of a matter of what you play. I try to prevent from pitching one way or the other too much but there's no set rule in my opinion.
Detroitbootybass 12:19 AM - 14 January, 2010
I prefer my House to be around 120 bpm (+/- 5 bpm).
DJ TOGTFO 3:07 AM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
i spin electro shit cuz bitches dance to it in the ATL

where do you play at?
DJMaytag 3:16 AM - 14 January, 2010
the best BPM is the same as the BPM that the track you've got playing is at. ;-)

looks like we got some GA peeps up in here tonight. 912!!!
DJ TOGTFO 3:55 AM - 14 January, 2010
yea,, too bad ATL runs this shit and not Savannah.. :P
DJ Greg J 4:07 AM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
I play minimal techno/house and tech house around 122 and 125 bpms. Try lowering bpm feel the groove and the bass! Too high bpm and you kill the vibe it just becomes too hard..

If by "kill the vibe" you meant, "make people go apeshit on the dancefloor and cause a ridiculously fun party commotion" you are dead-on.

but you probably meant "kill the vibe" as in "change the party up from being exactly what I always expect it to be, a continuous monotone line of blandness."
Joshua Carl 4:10 AM - 14 January, 2010
if you pitch anything "minimal" more than 4%+ chances are I dont care for you as a person... Its called minimal for a reason.
DJ Greg J 4:12 AM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
awfully close minded. Something which imo house isn't about.

House music enthusiasts are the MOST closed minded music listeners by far. That scene is ALL ABOUT being 100% completely elitist and closed minded. People that are so closed minded many of them don't even like other people's type of house.

Musical segregation to the absolute fullest. What other type of music has 1,000+ sub-genres?
DJMaytag 4:16 AM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
yea,, too bad ATL runs this shit and not Savannah.. :P

meh. I've had some good times down here, I can't complain... certainly more interesting options than when I lived in the midwest.
Maskrider 4:16 AM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
awfully close minded. Something which imo house isn't about.

House music enthusiasts are the MOST closed minded music listeners by far. That scene is ALL ABOUT being 100% completely elitist and closed minded. People that are so closed minded many of them don't even like other people's type of house.

Musical segregation to the absolute fullest. What other type of music has 1,000+ sub-genres?

lol......Everybody is dropping names and terms like they have Diarrhea.
DJ Greg J 4:17 AM - 14 January, 2010
PS, it didn't used to be that way at all.

Back in the 90's, before uppity people got hold and started making it their own to EXCLUDE other people (primarily those considered "mainstream", because they wanted to be cooler than mainstream), shit was plain and simply just FUN FUN FUN and DJ's just played JAMS, regardless of genre.

DJ Dan used to play Planet Rock ALL THE TIME. I talked to him in 2000 and he was depressed as fuck, like he'd lost his soul. He told me that he COULDN'T play anything creative anymore at those kind of events. It was a different scene, a scene that looked down upon creativity.
Lawrence 12:14 AM - 19 March, 2010
Thanks you all for your comments, very much appreciated..... and I definitely will refrain from pushing up the bpm as soon as soon as someone steps on the dance floor....cheerz
djbanno 1:21 AM - 19 March, 2010
If your spinnin house, a good trick i use is to go to an area away from the decks (say...take a piss or something) and listen to how fast the BPM sounds. If it sounds too fast, chances are your pitching it too fast. BPM seems to always sounds slower when you are behind the decks.
...then again maybe i have some sort of mental ilness.
Dj.Mojo 4:27 PM - 23 March, 2010
It is the same with me. I want more and more energy and accidently pitch too much.
Lawrence 7:31 AM - 4 October, 2010
Quote:
If your spinnin house, a good trick i use is to go to an area away from the decks (say...take a piss or something) and listen to how fast the BPM sounds. If it sounds too fast, chances are your pitching it too fast. BPM seems to always sounds slower when you are behind the decks.
...then again maybe i have some sort of mental ilness.

Will try that...I get used to the beat I'm playing at and sometimes it slowly creeps up... Will try going out and walking back in like I'm turning at the club for a night out and see if I want to stay or not...lol
Evon 8:28 AM - 4 October, 2010
House is mainly between 120-130. The deep,soul and funky house usually recorded at 124-126 ish BPM while Electro house and Prgressive house are usually recorded at the area 126-130, mostly 128 BPM.
I usually don't mix more than +/- 3 BPM to original tempo. I like to stay between 125-128 BPM thorugh my mixes. But there is always exceptions.
tcutt 11:00 AM - 4 October, 2010
Quote:

to build the set take the "key" of the song up not the tempo - see a programme called "mixed in key" to do this - really good way of building a set - well worth the money if you play regular
ILOVEMUSICNOTPEOPLE 11:30 PM - 17 October, 2013
What is wrong with you people! Must be dull to be stuck in such a musical rut! Melody and KEY you fucking untalented lamos. Boom Boom Boom
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:43 PM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
What is wrong with you people! Must be dull to be stuck in such a musical rut! Melody and KEY you fucking untalented lamos. Boom Boom Boom

Wow - it took you 3 years to tell us how you REALLY feel?
eugguy 8:34 AM - 18 October, 2013
ANYTHING OVER 128 BPM CAN GIVE YOU AIDS!
Thundercat 11:27 AM - 18 October, 2013
Quote:
Wow - it took you 3 years to tell us how you REALLY feel?

It took him a while because:

Not everyone understands house music -Eddie Amador
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:01 PM - 18 October, 2013
Quote:

I literally lol'd when I read that... Perfect!
Detroitbootybass 5:43 PM - 18 October, 2013
Quote:

Alternately, "...House is a feeling that no one can understand really, unless you're deep into the vibe of House" - Rhythm Controll (on 'My House')
Detroitbootybass 5:44 PM - 18 October, 2013
Forgot the vid: Watchwww.youtube.com
SeriousCyrus 9:09 PM - 18 October, 2013
Play first track, set autosync, bpm sorted for the night.
Boysurf 3:23 PM - 12 April, 2014
let nature lead you to making a killer house beat. thats what i do but i am a first timer in production any advise on which tempo i should use with FL studio
Lunatic Loops 5:32 AM - 12 August, 2014
House music gives me a big giant headache. When I'm home I listen to homey house music. Let's get together and jam!
Laz219 11:25 AM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:
House music gives me a big giant headache. When I'm home I listen to homey house music. Let's get together and jam!

.......What?