Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Windows 7 64 Bit / Serato / Official Answer

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Dom-SeratoUser 5:29 AM - 10 January, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 1.9.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: win7
---

I just wanted to know when there will be an official update as to when Windows 7 support will be given? Currently there is nothing listed after the "Offical update, which was awhile ago" Also if anyone else is having problems with Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, and has gotten Serato for SL1 working can you please leave any tips? Currently my drivers are not recognized any advice would help. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Dom
Dj Xcel 3:12 PM - 10 January, 2010
im having the same problem with mine there has to b a way to load the drivers even if the r the ones from vista ..i jus dont kno how to do that lol so any help would b great
Dom-SeratoUser 7:06 PM - 10 January, 2010
I figured i should list some more detailed information if I have any hopes of getting this problem solved.

"Hello Serato Team and Community,
I am trying to get my SSL Version 1 to work in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Currently I have tried everything, running in compatibility mode, enabling drivers to not need to be signed. Everything is up to date with the latest software/drivers. I have tried using the 64 bit drivers, the 32 bit nothing seems to work. Is there anything I may be missing that is causing the drivers to not be accepted? So again just to run through what I have tried

-Compatibility mode from Windows Vista SP 3, back to Windows XP SP 1
-Enabling Drivers for "Unsigned Drivers"
-Switching USB ports

I know you are not officially supporting Windows 7, but any advice you can give me to get this to work would be much appreciated.

Regard,
Dom"
7:12 PM, 10 Jan 2010
Dom-SeratoUser attached a file: Serato Error.jpg
View· Permalink
DJ506 8:08 PM - 10 January, 2010
Start ~> All Programs ~> Serato ~> Scratch LIVE ~> Update Drivers

Make sure your Sl1 is plugged in and SSL is not running.
Dom-SeratoUser 8:54 PM - 10 January, 2010
Hello DJ506, I appreciated you helping me in the matter. With that said, the drivers are up to date I have already done what you have mentioned. It still shows up with as the hardware is not recognized and the drivers are not accepted. Here is a link to the picture to show what I mean.

s813.photobucket.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:00 AM - 11 January, 2010
Hi Dom,

From your screenshot it appears that the driver is corrupted. I'd suggest un-installing the driver (right click on it and select "uninstall") and installing it again following the steps that DJ506 provided. Please let me know if that helps or not :)
Dom-SeratoUser 2:58 AM - 11 January, 2010
Hello Michael,
sorry just to add that one to the list, I have tried that one as well. Thank you for all the tips and advice guys. If anyone else has something new it would be much appreciated as well.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:20 AM - 11 January, 2010
Do you get the same error message again after the driver install (error 10)?
Dom-SeratoUser 3:30 AM - 11 January, 2010
Yes sir.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:27 AM - 11 January, 2010
Ok thanks. I'm not entirely sure what's causing this, but take a look at this article and see if it helps at all -> support.microsoft.com
Dom-SeratoUser 5:18 AM - 11 January, 2010
Hey Michael,
so I updated everything even an optional update for compatibility with non-windows 7 programs i.e. Serato. The other method is to check here for Updates. Any idea when you may release even the BETA drivers for Windows 7?

Also I just want to say thanks so far for, your continued help in this matter.
Lu 7:28 PM - 11 January, 2010
I'd suggest to delete (right click the Rane SL1 entry) and press delete from within device manager. After that reboot your system and run the driver updater once again with your hardware connected and Scratch not running.
Dom-SeratoUser 8:30 PM - 11 January, 2010
Hello Lu,
thank you for the suggestion, I have tried this already as well.
DJPrez 8:32 PM - 11 January, 2010
I would give this a try.

-Uninstall everything (if needed, save information files on crates, etc. prior)
-Delete downloaded SSL install program
-If you know how, search your registry for any Serato/Rane info and delete (except for the saved files above)
-Re-download SSL install program
-Run the install program without hardware attached
-Plug SL in
-Follow on screen prompts / pick drivers to install

You don't want to allow Windows to automatically install the drivers after you have removed them. Usually, uninstalling/deleting the drivers from the Device Manager does not remove them from the Windows driver database and when you restart and plug the hardware back in, Windows will just reinstall the previously saved drivers unless you intervene.

It is a shame to still read that Rane has not released Windows 7 drivers. You basically let part of the community down when you stated

August 2009
"We are in the process of testing and validating Scratch Live for use with Windows 7"

November 2009
"*At this stage, we are reasonably satisfied with performance on Windows 7."

You alluded to the fact you were working on a release date of the drivers to coincide with the Windows 7 October release date. It has been almost 3 months since release and not even a beta driver has been released. You advised people to not upgrade to the new operating system but fail to realize those who will purchase new laptops without the option of downgrading or would want to use 10+ year old OS technology. Plus, you expect the end user to be a beta tester for you and report back any findings. My belief is you have not been working on drivers to support Windows 7 in hopes the Vista drivers would suffice hence, "*If you have upgraded to Windows 7, and are experiencing new problems, we would like to hear from you. Please post a help thread and list as much relevant information as you can."

In the future, I will certainly take this into consideration on my next purchase of equipment for myself and the nightclubs I am contracted for to build audio/visual systems.

Good Luck Dom !!!
Dom-SeratoUser 8:45 PM - 11 January, 2010
Hello DJPRez, I will attempt what you mentioned when I get home later on today from work. I will report any success or failure from the above advice. Thank you everyone for your advice, I really do appreciate any advice given.
Dom-SeratoUser 10:31 PM - 11 January, 2010
Ok so after trying what DJ-Prez said, complete new install. Registry had Serato completely removed, nothing still Device Error 10 as per my original screenshot. I am running out of ideas/patience. I just bought some new needles really wanted to use them, now this is turning into my worst computer nightmare.
Dom-SeratoUser 11:47 PM - 11 January, 2010
Out of curiosity would the Serato team be willing to release the Beta drivers? I don't mind some BSOD or errors if it means it helps the development come along faster. It may also help me even use Serato. I hope I can receive a response on this as, I have mentioned it already but it was never addressed.
johnnyblast 2:30 AM - 12 January, 2010
Quote:
Ok so after trying what DJ-Prez said, complete new install. Registry had Serato completely removed, nothing still Device Error 10 as per my original screenshot. I am running out of ideas/patience. I just bought some new needles really wanted to use them, now this is turning into my worst computer nightmare.

i bought new DELL laptop few weeks ago and i was also worried about window 7 issues but i tried it out and it seems to work fine.

i 1st downloaded latest version from the site and window couldnt recognize SL-1 so i uninstall the software and re-installed serato with install CD i got when i first bought SL-1. Then, i went to check software update and after few downloads it seems to work fine.
Dom-SeratoUser 3:09 AM - 12 January, 2010
Johnny my man, I wish it was that easy.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:50 AM - 12 January, 2010
Hey Dom-SeratoUser,

I'm sorry you're running into this issue, I have to say I have not seen it before. Are you able to please give me the make, model and specs of your computer?
Dom-SeratoUser 4:56 AM - 12 January, 2010
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860

Asus P7P55D LGA1156

G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
spun1_2 7:11 AM - 12 January, 2010
I also have a problem with the SSL since my newest laptop purchase.

I have win7 64bit OS. Scratch Live does work for me somewhat. But i am not able to use the soundcard in other audio applications anymore in ASIO mode. Everything is working the same using my old machine. I have been doing tons of research about all this and each software company ive asked for help says that its a driver issue.

+1 on another user waiting patiently for 2 months for a driver from such a big company.
Dom-SeratoUser 7:34 PM - 12 January, 2010
Hey Michael,
just curious no one has seemed to address this question, do you have any beta drivers that you will be releasing soon? Or would you let the community try the drivers, knowing that they are not complete?
Dom-SeratoUser 2:46 AM - 13 January, 2010
Hey Michael,
just curious no one has seemed to address this question, do you have any beta drivers that you will be releasing soon? Or would you let the community try the drivers, knowing that they are not complete?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:17 AM - 13 January, 2010
Thanks for the info Dom-SeratoUser, I've since had another user report the same issue who is also running a quad core machine. We'll need to do some more research into this.

In regards to a beta driver we don't have one we can offer you yet, we still have in-house testing to complete. I know it seems like it's taking a long time to get Windows 7 support but please bare in mind that stability is something we pride ourselves on and we want to be thorough and completely satisfied before we annonce support.

Quote:
+1 on another user waiting patiently for 2 months for a driver from such a big company.

Serato has less than 30 employees, and most of these are not developers. We're trying as hard as we can to get this out there for you guys :)
Dom-SeratoUser 4:04 AM - 13 January, 2010
I can appreciate that 100%, but seeing as it has been close to 3 months now is there a clear time-frame in mind? Many inquiring minds it seems would like to know.
Dom-SeratoUser 5:01 PM - 13 January, 2010
bump for response?
Dj-NRG 5:32 PM - 13 January, 2010
Hi I'm actually in the market for a new computer. so far I'm leaning into a quad core PC. although if their is no version to accommodate windows 7 properly. i might just go with a MAC, there lays the dilemma.

My Question, is there a ETA on the software release?

thanks.
Dom-SeratoUser 7:26 PM - 13 January, 2010
Hey DJ-NRG if you are a fan of mac you could always look into running a hackntosh.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:10 PM - 13 January, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm afraid we don't have an ETA - there's nothing more disappointing than promising a date and then not meeting it. Sorry, I know that's not the answer you all want to hear :(
Dom-SeratoUser 10:19 PM - 13 January, 2010
Alright I understand, I do admit this next part may come across rudely and I apologize if it does but ETA = (Estimated time of Arrival) I am ok with the estimate. I mean the only option I currently have is to run a Virtual Box, or Dual boot XP these really aren't viable solutions.

Also as I mentioned before, I am willing to try the beta drivers knowing full well that they are not completed. Will you allow the community to use the beta drivers? You are addressing the drivers, however the beta drivers are not being addressed.
Dj-NRG 3:08 AM - 14 January, 2010
Quote:
Hey DJ-NRG if you are a fan of mac you could always look into running a hackntosh.

yeah, that sounds like a plan. i'll be picking up my new macbook pro this weekend. finally i would be able to run Video-SL without freezing up.

thanks for reminding me about that deal.
DJANGENYC 2:28 PM - 14 January, 2010
What's up Serato Staff,
I understand the delay for Windows 7 however by stating
"To summarize:
*At this stage, we are reasonably satisfied with performance on Windows 7."

gave the impression that there would be few issues with Windows 7. Next time just advise everyone to hold off from using Windows 7 until.
DJPrez 4:49 PM - 14 January, 2010
"""Serato has less than 30 employees, and most of these are not developers. We're trying as hard as we can to get this out there for you guys :)"""

Really? This is your reason for not releasing/developing a driver for the latest Windows OS? You're Serato division is much more sad than I had originally thought.

You should demand more resources from Rane to develop your flagship Disc Jockey system. The excuse of not having enough people is not acceptable and you should be ashamed. Also, the reason of not rushing to release something that would prove to be unstable is unacceptable. Microsoft releases information pertaining to their new OS's to manufacturers way before its release date to the public to allow those manufacturers time to develop drivers to work with the new OS. At the VERY LEAST, a Serato associate could have received a Alpha or Beta copy of Windows RC7 and began development from there.

Have you asked your Apple customers to resort to using a 10+ year old Mac OS?

Yes, you have come out with drivers for Vista but, you still continue to push Windows XP whenever an issue arises using Vista.

This is a shame, as I have been relatively happy with Serato over the years. This announcement has angered me.
Dom-SeratoUser 7:08 PM - 14 January, 2010
Bump for response to my original post:

"Alright I understand, I do admit this next part may come across rudely and I apologize if it does but ETA = (Estimated time of Arrival) I am ok with the estimate. I mean the only option I currently have is to run a Virtual Box, or Dual boot XP these really aren't viable solutions.

Also as I mentioned before, I am willing to try the beta drivers knowing full well that they are not completed. Will you allow the community to use the beta drivers? You are addressing the drivers, however the beta drivers are not being addressed."
Dom-SeratoUser 10:16 PM - 14 January, 2010
My thread keeps disappearing is there any reason why this might happen?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:57 PM - 14 January, 2010
Hey guys,

Ok I'll try and avoid inflaming this situation more - when I mentioned the amount of staff here it wasn't as an excuse for not having announced Windows 7 support, it was more just to clarify that we aren't a big company. Also just to clarify, Rane and Serato are two different companies. Scratch Live is the product that we work together on :)

In regards to Windows 7 support, we are quite satisfied with how it performs currently. The issue of the drivers failing on quad core machines is new to us so we'll need time to work on it. To all of you who aren't using quad core machines - what issues are you finding running on Windows 7?

Quote:
Will you allow the community to use the beta drivers? You are addressing the drivers, however the beta drivers are not being addressed.

Beta drivers are a lot riskier to put out then beta software, so we handle all testing of these in-house. I can't help you with these I'm afraid :(
Dom-SeratoUser 11:09 PM - 14 January, 2010
Hello Michael,
first and foremost I want to thank you for both your patience and responses to the matter.

With that said, is there an ETA(Estimated Time of Arrival) for the drivers, I completely understand that many unforeseen problems can arise but surely you must have somewhat of an idea as to when they will be released. The size of your company may affect production, but in all honesty Windows 7 is becoming the standard released with new Laptops/Desktops not really good to ostracize a whole new brand of Serato users.
Dom-SeratoUser 11:12 PM - 14 January, 2010
Sorry Michael I forgot to address this :

"In regards to Windows 7 support, we are quite satisfied with how it performs currently. The issue of the drivers failing on quad core machines is new to us so we'll need time to work on it. To all of you who aren't using quad core machines - what issues are you finding running on Windows 7?"

I am unsure of what you are referring to, you are doing the testing already for Quad Core machines with the Win 7 Drivers in house and it is causing problems? Or are you referring to my problem and others problems of the Windows Vista 64 Bit drivers not working?
AlBunDy 9:01 AM - 15 January, 2010
What exact version of the motherboard are you using Dom? There are a bunch of p7p55d models. Would it happen to be the -E Premium version by any chance? Are all the board's drivers drivers up to date? Especially the usb and chipset drivers?
Dom-SeratoUser 12:14 AM - 16 January, 2010
P7P55D that exact model. Also I have updated the bios and chipset to the absolute latest provided by ASUS still no go.
AlBunDy 12:40 AM - 16 January, 2010
What I would do is in the mean time is set a up dual boot with xp or vista and verify that you can get the sl box drivers to work properly on the older OS. This way you can pin down the problem as windows 7/driver issue. At least then you will know its not a conflict with your actual hw/drivers.

Other than that I am out of ideas. Seems everything that could be tried has been tried already. I dont see how this could effect a driver install but it cant hurt to try. Disable HT and turbo.

But definitley try xp or vista and make sure it at least works on either on those.
Dom-SeratoUser 12:43 AM - 16 January, 2010
ya I'll dual boot XP this weekend to see. Thanks for helping out.
Dj Manny Rivera 2:12 AM - 16 January, 2010
To all whom are patiently waiting for WIN7 Drivers , go to the bottom of this page were it says JOBS..... click on it and you will realize that SERATO is currently looking for a Drivers Engineer. this should answer your questions as far as how long it is going to take. Until they find the right person nothing will get done.

READ HERE
Contract device driver software engineer (C/C++)
Serato is looking for a contract software engineer to create device drivers for high-performance audio hardware.

Key skills

•Experience developing low latency ASIO, CoreAudio and WDM drivers
•Solid C/C++ programming experience
Knowledge and experience in any of the following would be advantageous:

•Audio hardware driver development
•USB development
•Firmware development
•Embedded systems development

Contract Translator

Serato is currently looking for people to translate technical documents from English into the following languages:

•German
•Japanese
•Spanish
•Chinese
•Korean
•French
•Italian
•Russian
Other languages will also be considered.

Successful candidates will ideally have:

•Experience translating technical documents
•Experience using audio software
•DJing and DJ product knowledge
Due to the contract nature of this role, successful applicants do not necessarily need to be based in New Zealand.
Dom-SeratoUser 5:34 AM - 16 January, 2010
oh I pretty much figured I am proper (fill in the blanks). I am trying to find a work-around until they start caring, which probably isn't in the foreseeable future.
fvsanchez1 6:10 AM - 16 January, 2010
As of now, with my new HP laptop that has:
winds 7 - AMD turion II - 64- bit OS
have not yet found any issues. I'm sure that I will be posting any other info to help.
spun1_2 12:58 AM - 17 January, 2010
Im using win7 64bitOS amd athlon 64x2

and serato has been working ok.. a few crashes and some non consistent sound. my real problem is when i try to use the soundcard in ASIO mode in other audio softwares.

I would like to run a dual boot with xp but i dont have any cd's here to do that. all of my other pcs have built in recovery.

Thanks for posting the job ad. That has to be just a coincedence they have to have this 64bit thing under control. Serato is the biggest selling pro software. We are all in good hands. :)
DJ Russ821 4:23 AM - 17 January, 2010
I can not understand how there is problems with windows 7....If you use the vista driver it works fine. If you are running windows 7 make sure that you have the hardware drivers up to date!!! Windows 7 is a much better operating system. I have been using windows 7 since it was released and I run serato and video sl fine with NO Problems!!!!! These are the specs on my laptop

ASUS G51

320 gig hard drive
4 gigs of ram
nvidia gtx 260m 1gb
windows 7
Dom-SeratoUser 4:27 AM - 17 January, 2010
Well, hey not to sound like an ass but thanks for coming and saying you have no problem. That really helps me.... I have been as nice as I could have been, but you coming here and stating that your setup doesn't advance this conversation.
Dom-SeratoUser 4:28 AM - 17 January, 2010
that your setup 'works' doesn't advance this conversation.
DJ Russ821 6:23 AM - 17 January, 2010
Well I was addressing the conversation NOT TO SOUND LIKE AN ASS read it!!!!! I was I saying I am not having issues with windows 7....... I actually love it... And as a suggestion MAKE SURE YOUR DRIVES ARE UP TO DATE IF YOU USE IT...
nik39 8:48 PM - 18 January, 2010
Quote:
To all whom are patiently waiting for WIN7 Drivers , go to the bottom of this page were it says JOBS..... click on it and you will realize that SERATO is currently looking for a Drivers Engineer. this should answer your questions as far as how long it is going to take. Until they find the right person nothing will get done.

That's not a nice thing to say and most likely you are basing your conclusions on wrong facts.

The fact that Serato is looking for new staff does not mean that the current developers are not working on new drivers.
Dom-SeratoUser 11:20 PM - 18 January, 2010
Quote:
Well I was addressing the conversation NOT TO SOUND LIKE AN ASS read it!!!!! I was I saying I am not having issues with windows 7....... I actually love it... And as a suggestion MAKE SURE YOUR DRIVES ARE UP TO DATE IF YOU USE IT...

Hey Russ, I am sorry I was a bit tipsy when I posted last time. I do thank you for coming and offering suggestions, anything is appreciated. However if you look above, everything has been tried, this comes down to more of a Win 7 driver issue and perhaps a motherboard issue which I am still looking into.
DJ Russ821 12:53 AM - 19 January, 2010
It is all good man.... all love from my end. I hope you get it figured out, Windows is defiantly a much better operating system. I am figuring that some hardware on some laptops is causing the issues. If you get a ASUS brand laptop with a intel processor it should work just fine. I know a few people with those laptops and they have no issues. I would suggest getting a G51 or higher they range from $1000 to $2000. Kinda pricey but they have killer hardware specs..... specs definitely comparable to a mac book.
culcha 2:41 PM - 19 January, 2010
i'm also having the same problem with win7.at first it was working,then it sent me a message saying there are bad sectors in my files and needed to scan and repair.i clicked ok.since then serato has not reloaded my crates. im using
HP PAVILION DV6
AMD ATHLON 2 DUAL CORE M300 2.0GHZ
RAM 4GIG
64 BIT OS
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM.
culcha 3:01 PM - 19 January, 2010
ALSO 320G HD
AMD880G WITH ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 4200
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:22 PM - 19 January, 2010
Quote:
The fact that Serato is looking for new staff does not mean that the current developers are not working on new drivers.

This is correct. This add has been on the site for a very long time, and we've made drivers during that time :)

Guys, please note that this driver issue is only affecting a very small subset of machines, most Windows 7 machines are working fine.

We are working on this, but it may take time. I can't offer too much more advice than this at this point. Sorry!
Dj Manny Rivera 5:17 PM - 20 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Russ, I am sorry I was a bit tipsy when I posted last time. I do thank you for coming and offering suggestions, anything is appreciated. However if you look above, everything has been tried, this comes down to more of a Win 7 driver issue and perhaps a motherboard issue which I am still looking into.

After reading all these post, and finding the job post for a driver engineer it only makes you believe that thay cant come up with one. Just my opinion !!!
I sure do hope all the issues are solved with WIN7 since Iam holding onto the disk ready to install soon as I see that everything is positive in this forum.
Dj Manny Rivera 5:20 PM - 20 January, 2010
THanks Michael R for your update is well appreciated !!!

I think I dont fall under this category, So Iam going to goahead and try the install. I will let evryone know how it goes.
spun1_2 4:45 AM - 21 January, 2010
Its not a win7 issue. Its a 64bit OS issue.
Dom-SeratoUser 5:26 AM - 21 January, 2010
Hmm its funny you mention that, I asked the guy if people who had it working were using 32 bit Win 7 he never replied to that.
culcha 8:55 PM - 21 January, 2010
i returned my HP DV6 with the AMD DUO CORE PROCESSOR,and got myself the DV6 with the PENTIUM i5. so far so good.it only requires regular driver updates. and im on 64 OS.
HP DV6
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM
500G HD
4G RAM
64 BIT OS
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:46 AM - 22 January, 2010
Quote:
Its not a win7 issue. Its a 64bit OS issue.

I'm not entirely sure about that, another user having this problem said:

Quote:
I think there may be compatibility issue with my hardware system specifically. I tried the same SL1 on a friend's AMD laptop running win 7 64bit - no problem there.
I then tried it on my Intel Core i7 laptop after installing vista 64 and it still didn't work.

Taken from here -> www.serato.com

I note that Dom-SeratoUser is also running an i7 Quad Core laptop, so that's an avenue we are exploring.
Dj Manny Rivera 6:42 PM - 23 January, 2010
Dear Michael R.

I just installed WIN 7 64bit on my DELL XPSM1530
System Specs :
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20ghz
8 Gigs of RAM
350 HD @ 7200 Rpm
nVidia GeForce 8600M GT

Im currently using all the drivers provide by DELL,
SERATO is not being picked up by OS I have tried just about everything.

Is there anything I could do on my end to speed the release of the WIN7 64bit drivers
Please feel free to contact me.

Thanks !!!
spun1_2 4:25 PM - 24 January, 2010
The best advice would be to be honest.

If your using a pc.. then we should all just run a dual boot with win xp..

Then we can wait a year and then all the technology will catch up to 64bit..
AlBunDy 11:12 PM - 24 January, 2010
You CAN NOT say it is a 64bit OS issue. You also CAN NOT say it is windows 7 issue unless you test it people.

In order for it to be a 64 bit OS issue the program would have to run fine on the same hardware and OS 32bit version. Then if that works you would need to try an another windows 64bit OS and see if it works on that OS. It it works it a not 64bit issue at all.

In order for it be a Windows 7 issue you have to check to see if serato works on vista32/64 or xp on the SAME hardware.
Dj Manny Rivera 2:08 AM - 25 January, 2010
So I am now trying to go over all the drivers Ive installed to try and make this work, Of course I am trying Win 64bit Vista drivers. My question is if there was a driver that was to make it work what would that driver be..... a USB driver, CHIPSET driver, AUDIO driver, Etc..... In other words what drivers should I be trying to get WIN 7 to recognize SERATO.

Your help is greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:51 AM - 25 January, 2010
Hey Dj Manny Rivera,

Have you tried this?

1) Ensure Scratch Live is closed.
2) Connect the SL 1 to your computer.
3) Click the Windows Start button and go to All Programs -> Serato -> ScratchLIVE
4) In there you will see the Update Drivers program, click and run this.
5) The drivers for the SL 1 will now be installed.
Dj Manny Rivera 6:20 PM - 25 January, 2010
Michael R
Wow.... how simple this was ..... What a freaking idiot I am !!!

So far so good, WIN 64 bit is running SEARTO flawlessly.
If I run into any problems I will be sure to post and update thread, But so far things here are back to normal and better.

Back to spinning !!!

Thanks Michael R.
Wild Child 11:15 PM - 25 January, 2010
Well, I have read this entire thread and I feel like I should add my issue here. I am like Dom, I have an intel i7 quad core machine. At first, i could not get my SL1 to take AT ALL. I moved it to the USB on the other side of my computer (e-SATA/USB) and it worked. This was AFTER I couldnt get SSL to load. It would only load if I had it set for compatability with WinXP SP3 or Vista SP2. SSL and the SL1 now work, but I cant drag files to the crates from windows explorer. I can only add them through the files tab in Serato. Today, support returned my call and said that "That is the PROPER way to do it" totally ignoring the fact that I could drag them from windows explorer in XP. They also said that "High powered GAMING computers, on paper, are Great but NOT necessariliy what you need for audio programs" My experience with support is that since it works on SOME win7 computers then thaats good enough. (Until they find a fix for it) But his words to me specifically when I asked if there would be an update for win7 64-bit users was this "We dont have a reason to make an update because what we have, WORKS" BULL.

Personaly from MY research , I remember when XP users with AMD processors used to have problems. Now the people with AMD Quad core machines are fine while Intel Quad core machines are suffereing. This is not a rant or bashing on the support team becasue we all thrive from their help, but I think their position is a little arrogant to say the least.
spun1_2 4:10 AM - 27 January, 2010
Quote:
You CAN NOT say it is a 64bit OS issue. You also CAN NOT say it is windows 7 issue unless you test it people.

In order for it to be a 64 bit OS issue the program would have to run fine on the same hardware and OS 32bit version. Then if that works you would need to try an another windows 64bit OS and see if it works on that OS. It it works it a not 64bit issue at all.

In order for it be a Windows 7 issue you have to check to see if serato works on vista32/64 or xp on the SAME hardware.

Ok well I have only one variable in my setup.. New laptop with win7 64bit..

The old laptop with xp pro everthing is fine.. I am only getting dropout in ssl.. Otherwise its fine. My biggest problem is that im not able to use the soundcard now in any other audio application like i was before.

I have heard the virtual vinyl also has an issue with the 64bit OS. So there is something going on for sure.. But after so many posts regarding these issues people are having im sure that serato will be looking into this. They need feedback from users to move forward all the time.. If enough people list their issues then sometin will be done. There is always power in numbers.

This could be another commerical for pc vs mac.
DJ Lec 10:28 AM - 27 January, 2010
as i've observed Serato SSL are more designed to MAC.....
AlBunDy 6:53 AM - 31 January, 2010
What you heard is false. The virtual vinyl has nothing to do with 64bit. When the software does run on a 64bit system it runs fine. The software is not 64bit. The problem people are is driver/hw related.

There seems to be a common string with all those having problems. The new Nehalem based Intel quad cores. I wonder if there is a problem with the new dual+igp chip based machines.

This is why it is important to find out if serato will work on the said hardware with xp or vista 32/64.

Also serato does not use your computers audio card. The SSL box is the soundcard. Except when the rane hw is not connected.

Again to all those having issues with the new Intel chips and win7. Please try it on xp or vista and give your results.
DJANGENYC 3:38 PM - 31 January, 2010
I'm having issues with Windows 7 64bit and its with a dell XPS with the Dual chips and all my friends are having some issues with theirs when running Windows 7 64.

It seems ridiculous to keep on telling people try it on Windows xp. Most current new machines are running Windows 7 64. Since Serato does not make their own OS they have not choice but to build their software to run STABLE on Windows 7 64. If not Serato should just come out and say scratch live is is not stable on Windows 7 64 therefore we do not support it. You may think this is the solution however it is not. What happens if the Mac OS changes in such a way that the Serato software also begins to have issues with it?
I also want to add that when Serato recommends certain tweaks for an OS they should not only have it available in text form but in video, this would not be hard to do.
Its getting harder and harder to get XP laptops. Serato needs to mover forward instead of looking back.
AlBunDy 7:28 PM - 31 January, 2010
It is not ridiculous to tell people to TRY it on xp. What that does is narrow down what is causing the problem. As I said in the last post, most the problems are with people with machines with the NEW Intel chips. The i7/i5/i3. So in order to be sure it is not a problem with the HW you install xp to test it.

It is NOT as simple as saying it is win7 64 bit issue. There are plenty of people running just fine on the OS. It

Serato does say windows 7 is not officially supported by the way.

Macs are easier to deal with because it is closed propriety system. There are not thousands of different hw mixtures to deal with.

If you want to be sure it is win7 64 bit issue on your machine you need to test xp. on it.
spun1_2 8:56 PM - 31 January, 2010
Ive already said my same setup works on my xp machine. So the only variable i have is the new pc with win7 64bit.. And since im not the only one out here saying that.. Then how much more troubleshooting do we need to do before you would agree.

And since Win 7 is not supported then what does that mean. How long has windows 7 been out now? And for a company such as Rane Serato you would think that this would not take months after its release.

Im not into dual chip sets and computer lingo.. I mix music and all i would like to do is have everything work the way it should. Am i asking to much since i agreed to pay $530 for the SSL. Like it was said before almost every pc now coming out is win 7 and 64bit.. So i imagine this will become a greater issue the longer this goes on.

Im sure the development is working on it , or they would simply say that everything is fine. Everything is not fine with some people and there is a common link between all this. But its not my job to fix it. I dont work for serato . All users such as mysellf making this issue apparent to development is all we can do. Now its in their hands.
DJANGENYC 10:02 PM - 31 January, 2010
Try it on XP? Serato is responsible for testing the Scratch Live on Windows 7 not the users and they should be testing it on various laptops. Going back to XP is not going to help Serato move forward to Windows 7 64 which is going to be around for a long time coming.
Version 2 of Scratch Live has been announced. When it will be released?
Will it only run on XP?
We need some straight answers from the Serato team, not the run around we have been given so far.
AlBunDy 4:21 AM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
Ive already said my same setup works on my xp machine. So the only variable i have is the new pc with win7 64bit.. And since im not the only one out here saying that.. Then how much more troubleshooting do we need to do before you would agree.

And since Win 7 is not supported then what does that mean. How long has windows 7 been out now? And for a company such as Rane Serato you would think that this would not take months after its release.

Im not into dual chip sets and computer lingo.. I mix music and all i would like to do is have everything work the way it should. Am i asking to much since i agreed to pay $530 for the SSL. Like it was said before almost every pc now coming out is win 7 and 64bit.. So i imagine this will become a greater issue the longer this goes on.

Im sure the development is working on it , or they would simply say that everything is fine. Everything is not fine with some people and there is a common link between all this. But its not my job to fix it. I dont work for serato . All users such as mysellf making this issue apparent to development is all we can do. Now its in their hands.

You still don't get it. You say it works on your xp machine. Not on your current machine that is running windows 7. Your xp machine is a DIFFERENT computer. That is not a single variable. Install windows 7 64 bit on that machine and test it. That would be a single variable. Take the windows 7 machine and run xp on it. That would be a single variable. You actually are not troubling shooting anything.

The common link is the new Intel chips. Not windows 7 64bit.

What does windows 7 is not officially supported mean? It is rather simple. Serato does not certify that its product will run on windows 7 machines.

No you are not asking to much.

Am I asking to much for you to install/dual boot xp on the new machine to see if serato will run on xp on THE NEW MACHINE? It may be issue with the actual hw in your machine. Not the OS. For example serato runs perfectly on my machine with windows 7 64 bit.
Cassie 9:51 AM - 1 February, 2010
I got a solution for SSL running with Windows 7 64-bit. It took me loads of hassel and toruble tryna research it out,. What do I get in return if I solved the problem ?
hersh20 4:10 PM - 1 February, 2010
i think this windows 7 issue is ridiculous already. as for the mac argument that its a one hardware to OS ratio is definitely a valid point. there are literally thousands of different variables to note. i had serious issues with serato on my vista machine and it took MEEEE about 3 hours of digging to figure it out. READ THE FORUMS! alot of times its not microsoft but another companies bad driver that reacts poorly with the OS.

the simple answer is usually the correct one. its difficult for anyone to deal with microsoft. this is why anyone dealing with music/video etc is running mac. hardware and OS are more closely related = easier and more efficient software development.
spun1_2 7:03 PM - 1 February, 2010
Quote:
I got a solution for SSL running with Windows 7 64-bit. It took me loads of hassel and toruble tryna research it out,. What do I get in return if I solved the problem ?

Look at the Serato jobs posted. Maybe you can have a contract gig with them.

They are looking for someone for a fix. And seems really nice of you to comment on the forums about having a fix and they what do I get for it. What happened to the world where being nice and helpful was something more than a money reward.

I can give you a big thank you. Is that enough?
hersh20 4:34 PM - 2 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Look at the Serato jobs posted. Maybe you can have a contract gig with them.

They are looking for someone for a fix. And seems really nice of you to comment on the forums about having a fix and they what do I get for it. What happened to the world where being nice and helpful was something more than a money reward.

I can give you a big thank you. Is that enough?

AMEN Spun!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:36 AM - 3 February, 2010
Hey everyone,
I'd like to try and keep this thread on topic. The issue originally raised here is the Rane hardware drivers not working on some Windows 7 machines (seems to be the I7 quadcores). A lot of you are saying you're having issues, if they are this driver issue please post your system info here. If it is another issue you are having, please start a new help request - most Windows 7 problems we can solve :)
DJANGENYC 2:45 PM - 3 February, 2010
Michael R,
The Title of the thread reads "WINDOWS 7 64 BIT / SERATO / OFFICIAL ANSWER"

Serato's Website is where we download and get software. It is not only the i7 chips but many different Laptops running Windows 7 64. I've tried many different laptops running windows 7 64 and the USB dropout is a problem in all of them.
This is probably one of the most posted threads in your support forum which only shows that the issue with Windows 7 64 is widespread and not contained to i7, a chip which most users don't have yet.
MadSounds 4:53 PM - 3 February, 2010
Hey all, I have a new HP Laptop recently bought, with windows 7 and I found a thread on here on making it work. You can look for that or try it, what it had said was, download Serato 1.9.1 Version and then install the Vista Driver 64 bit version and I did that and it works fine for me. I haven't had no problems with it so far, works great.
AlBunDy 5:48 PM - 3 February, 2010
Quote:
Michael R,
The Title of the thread reads "WINDOWS 7 64 BIT / SERATO / OFFICIAL ANSWER"

Serato's Website is where we download and get software. It is not only the i7 chips but many different Laptops running Windows 7 64. I've tried many different laptops running windows 7 64 and the USB dropout is a problem in all of them.
This is probably one of the most posted threads in your support forum which only shows that the issue with Windows 7 64 is widespread and not contained to i7, a chip which most users don't have yet.

I hear you on the usb dropouts and all but the real issue in this thread is that people can't get the drivers/hw to install at all on the i7 chips.
discojamie 10:35 PM - 3 February, 2010
Hi Everyone. Just to add that i'm having the exact same issue, this driver cannot start (Code 10). My specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit
Asrock P55M Pro MOBO
Intel i5 750
6GB DDR3 RAM

Reading through this thread it seems to be a problem with Intels new quad core CPU's.
spun1_2 3:11 AM - 4 February, 2010
Like i have said before in this post im a computer guy.
Heres the new pc specs from the sticker.(lol)

Acer Aspire 5534
AMD Athlon 64x2
L310 (1.20 Ghz)
4GB Ram
Win 7 64Bit

Hope my info is helpful.
spun1_2 3:12 AM - 4 February, 2010
Gotta correct myself..

Im NOT a computer guy.

Just another dj.

Thanks
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:48 AM - 5 February, 2010
Hey DJANGENYC,

Are USB dropouts the only problem you are having?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:49 AM - 5 February, 2010
Hey spun1_2,

Thanks for your specs, could I please ask you to give me a quick rundown of the issues you're having?
spun1_2 5:41 AM - 5 February, 2010
Hey Micheal,

I have been getting dropouts and some jumping in the tracks. I saw another post today about that latency checker which found a problem. I havent had much time for test yet but it looks like the dropouts were better. I had a conflict with my wireless driver and the ssl box.

Now the other issue i have is when i have tried to use the ssl box for a soundcard in other audio programs, its not performing correctly now. I have been using VDJ for video and have always just used the ssl box as my choice of soundcard.
For some reason using this new pc i get terrible gliches in sound and the music sounds like its moving at 2bpm with a heavy reverb echo..

I have asked VDJ for help since its only in that program that i have trouble. They tell me the only issue i have is a driver issue and they cant do anything about that. Any sugguestions?

Thanks
AlBunDy 8:08 AM - 5 February, 2010
Quote:
Hi Everyone. Just to add that i'm having the exact same issue, this driver cannot start (Code 10). My specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit
Asrock P55M Pro MOBO
Intel i5 750
6GB DDR3 RAM

Reading through this thread it seems to be a problem with Intels new quad core CPU's.

You probably did this already but did you try all the of the usb ports on your build? USB ports on the back I/O panel? F-panel usb ports(case usb's) Any chance you can dual boot xp or vista to check your HW on the older operating systems. I have a feeling it still wont work but I would like to know for sure.
DJ Koeul Benny 6:10 AM - 6 February, 2010
Please if you haven't done this yet DO NOT UPDATE From your computer companies
site these are older drivers and not the best

do a look up on the board your using in your machine and update from manufacturers
site if that doesnt work you can try older drivers until you find the ones that will work
with your

this should work but it's difficult to fix sorry the rest of you are having so many problems

hope you keep trying to figure the issue out
discojamie 12:14 PM - 6 February, 2010
Quote:

You probably did this already but did you try all the of the usb ports on your build? USB ports on the back I/O panel? F-panel usb ports(case usb's) Any chance you can dual boot xp or vista to check your HW on the older operating systems. I have a feeling it still wont work but I would like to know for sure.

Yeah, all USB ports are the same. If i get time this weekend i'll stick XP on this PC and see if that makes any difference.
Dj Manny Rivera 1:56 AM - 7 February, 2010
Update on SERATO WIN 7 64bit
Running flawlessly with no problems !!!

DELL XPS M1530 Laptop
Duo Core 3.0 Ghz
8 Gigs RAM
350 GB HH
WIN 7 - 64Bit
Sector478 6:09 PM - 7 February, 2010
Dell Inspiron 1545
Intel Pentium dual-core
4 gigs of RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
Technics 1200 M3Ds
currently running SL1 at 5 latency and no issues.I did try lowering to 3 and played for about an hour before getting USB dropout.Seems to be workiing fine right now. Is 5 an acceptable latency setting for this PC? Thanks everyone.
Dj Shinski 1:06 AM - 8 February, 2010
I have the same issue with my desktop

Hp Pavillion Elite Series
Intel i5 quad core processor
6 GB Ram
Windows 7 64bit
640 GB HDD
with Serato SL1

its gives me the error.. "device Cannot be Started error 10"
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:18 AM - 8 February, 2010
Thanks for the system profiles guys, we're still working on this but the more information we can gather the better :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:35 AM - 8 February, 2010
Hey spun1_2,

Quote:
I have been getting dropouts and some jumping in the tracks. I saw another post today about that latency checker which found a problem. I havent had much time for test yet but it looks like the dropouts were better. I had a conflict with my wireless driver and the ssl box.

Wireless networking devices can cause dropouts, so always turn this off when using Scratch Live. Other things to try are:

* Connect directly to a USB port on your computer, not via a USB hub.
* Try connecting to all USB ports as some may perform better than others.
* Ensure all your USB drivers are up to date.
* Close all other programs including any anti-virus software.
* Turn off all wireless networking and bluetooth devices.
* Ensure all screen savers and power saving options are turned off.
* Run you computer with the power supply connected, not running of the battery.

There's also an article here on optimizing your system to avoid dropouts here -> www.serato.com (click link). It's written for Vista but most of it will still be applicable to you :)

Finally, what do you have your USB buffer in Scratch Live set to?

Quote:
Now the other issue i have is when i have tried to use the ssl box for a soundcard in other audio programs, its not performing correctly now. I have been using VDJ for video and have always just used the ssl box as my choice of soundcard.
For some reason using this new pc i get terrible gliches in sound and the music sounds like its moving at 2bpm with a heavy reverb echo..

I have asked VDJ for help since its only in that program that i have trouble. They tell me the only issue i have is a driver issue and they cant do anything about that. Any sugguestions?

What Rane hardware are you using?
Johndjmix 3:46 AM - 8 February, 2010
I know this isnt what you windows guys want to hear, but if you want a trouble free setup without all this BS, buy a mac!

I too was a die-hard windows user until I was "forced" to use a mac for a month. I was blown away. Every machine I own is now a mac.

DJ John Ferrari
spun1_2 3:49 AM - 8 February, 2010
I have tested for a couple hours and after using
www.thesycon.de

I was able to locate a conflict with my wireless driver and ssl. Just turning off the wireless signal doesnt work. So after i disable the wireless driver and 2 hours of playing no dropouts. I will be testing much more this week. So far so good.

Finally, what do you have your USB buffer in Scratch Live set to?

I have it currently set at 12..

What Rane hardware are you using?

Im using the orginal SSL box.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:44 AM - 8 February, 2010
Quote:
. So after i disable the wireless driver and 2 hours of playing no dropouts. I will be testing much more this week.

Great to hear, please let me know how it goes :)

Quote:
Im using the orginal SSL box.

Where you using the ASIO4ALL drivers for the SL 1?
spun1_2 3:59 PM - 8 February, 2010
I dont have the asio4all option. Im using the SL1 for video in vdj.

In win xp you could choose the serato box as an option. Now with win7 64bit i dont have the option to choose the sl1 box.. I have a choice of ASIO only and the SL1 driver.

Do i need to download the asio4all?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:48 AM - 9 February, 2010
No you don't need to use ASIO4ALL, I was just making sure that wasn't the driver you were using ;)

I've notified our Test Team regarding this issue, we'll need to investigate it further.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:55 AM - 9 February, 2010
Actually I just had a thought - have you used it as a Soundcard with any other programs? Do you only have this issue when using VDJ?
DJANGENYC 1:49 AM - 10 February, 2010
Quote:
Hey DJANGENYC,

Are USB dropouts the only problem you are having?

Yes, USB dropouts
SL3 box
spun1_2 4:25 PM - 10 February, 2010
Quote:
Actually I just had a thought - have you used it as a Soundcard with any other programs? Do you only have this issue when using VDJ?

I mainly use Serato. and then sometimes i do video shows with VDJ. I have a traktor too but i dont use it. So i cant really say if its happening in other audio programs.

But i know that the drivers are an issue here. I have been reading posts for a few months now and it seems to be in the works to being fixed by Rane now. At least that is what they are telling us. Is there no ASIO drivers for win7 yet?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:44 AM - 11 February, 2010
Hey DJANGENYC,

To help reduce the occurance of USB dropouts can I please get you to try the following:

* Connect the SL 3 directly to a USB port on your computer, not via a USB hub.
* Try connecting to all available USB ports on your computer, as some may perform better than others. Ensure that the SL 3 is connected to a USB 2.0 port as it is a USB 2.0 device.
* Connect the external power supply to the SL 3.
* Turn off all bluetooth and wireless networking devices.
* Close down all other software, including AnitVirus software.
* Ensure that all screen savers and power saving modes for your computer are switched off, and that the computer is running on a power supply, not battery power.
* Ensure USB drivers are up to date for your machine. These can usually be found on your laptop manufacturer’s website.
* If you have any other USB devices connected, try removing them.
* Finally try increasing your USB buffer in the Hardware tab in the Setup screen in Scratch Live.

Please let me know how you go after making these changes :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:00 AM - 11 February, 2010
Hey spun1_2,

Thanks for the info, if you are able to try it in another application it would be appreciated :) We'll try and reproduce the issue here as well.

In regards to the drivers being at fault, are you able to connect the SL 1 and go to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Rane SL 1. Right click on the Rane SL 1 and select Properties. In the General tab does the Device Status say that the device is working properly? If not, can you please tell me which error code it's giving you?

DJ CUTLOOSE 2:18 PM - 11 February, 2010
Ok guys I ordered a new dell direct from the factory with these specs

Studio 1558 : Intel i5-540M(2.53GHz) Mobile CPU

It has 3 usb ports

Internal 500gb , 7200 HD

I have had these problems and solved most.

1 - Code 10 appearing and no conection to the rane hardware

I found when I unplugged my mouse then opened up SSL it was fine

2 - To get rid of code 10, and the exclamation mark in computer/manage/device magaer list of usb devices. I would then right click the rane driver in device manager, then click remove driver (and tick box delete driver) ( I will confirm the terminology as Im away from my laptop and doin this from memory)

I then disconnect SSL for 10 secs , reconnect , then goto update drivers in the serato folder ( I put a shortcut on my desktop to make it faster when I need to do this)

Sometimes I have had to restart my Dell as well.

Once I have done this , I open SSL with just SL1 connected, allow crates to load then after that I plug in my Kais Pad and Mouse ( I have to run my mouse through a 4 way powered hud for it to be picked up tho, maybe a dell fault here, im lookin into it)

Once I do all this I can use serato

3 - The other issues , one I have mentioned with my usb only seeing the mouse or the SL1 box, it's like one is blocking the other. But running mouse thru powered hug cures this. I will look into new USB drivers

My other fault is occasionally maybe 3 times now , I loose audio on right deck ?? The VU meters are reading, record is spinning in the vitual deck,everything is normal appart from no sound from the right deck, flicked line switch and I can hear audio from coded vinyl.
This brings up a code 10 situation, and by goin thru what I have put in section 2 above it brings audio back.

I have to say when I', running SSL it's mega fast in everyway , buffer at 3 or 4 with no USB dropouts, crates open and close very fast , and trust me I have a lot ( used to be really slow on old laptop with XP)

Analysing files is mega fast , it splits into 4 bars, and they move very fast.

Hope my post cam help some of you guys out there, all i need to do is sort out the loss of audio on right deck and I'm on fire ;-)

I'm a turntablist not a programer, but I managing to overcome issues by putting in the time to find the solutions, altho I agree it is frustrating, but if we work together we can sort it out.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:02 AM - 12 February, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to share your findings DJ CUTLOOSE, it's much appreciated :)
charlee1985 1:09 PM - 13 February, 2010
i got exacly same problem wit Dj Cutloose. Got exacly the same laptop too! lol

when i connect serato sound card on my laptop by itself it works fine on all the usb ports.

when i connect serato with and other usb device, it says Device cannot start.

i wanted to see if its my laptop, so i plugged 3 different usb devices str8 on my laptop and they all worked fine.

Connecting serato str8 on the laptop and then mouse on a usb hub, works fine!

i havnt tested live tho cos ill Sh*t myself if it crashes during a live set.

Cutloose do u always get errors when u live djing with that setup?
Jason 2120 2:52 PM - 13 February, 2010
I have a Toshiba Satellite AMD Athlon x2 Windows 7 32 bit. Using Serato for over 3 months without any problems at all.
charlee1985 2:57 PM - 13 February, 2010
hmm mite then be the new Intel processors then and not so much the Win 7?

cos most ppl who say their win 7 works they either have Dual core or Amd.

Jason, did u just install serato normally? and worked str8 away?
charlee1985 6:49 PM - 13 February, 2010
i wonder if its just Dell Laptops or every laptop wit an i processor
charlee1985 3:07 PM - 14 February, 2010
riite, i keep losing sound. even when the serato box is installed fine, it works for couple of secs and then it just stops.

Im gonna try and see how it works with Windows server 2008 and then Xp 64
DJPrez 6:42 PM - 14 February, 2010
I have a couple of suggestion for those with the quad core processors.

--Have you tried setting the core affinity via the process manager to allow only one or two cores for Serato?

--Here is a free program that I use for playing an MMORPG (Everquest2) if you don't know how to change processor affinity from the task manager usuarios.multimania.es

Launch Serato ALT-Tab back to launch the program and click on the Serato .exe.
Choose a couple of CPU's in the Affinity section or try just one and click Save.

Let's see if it something that Serato is unable to instruct the multiple cores on the new Intel's.....So, I would try setting Serato to just one CPU (Try CPU 4) first then give two a try. If it reacts the same on one, two, three cores...then it's Serato running on that chip no matter if it's multi-cored or singled.
charlee1985 6:56 PM - 14 February, 2010
"Launch Serato ALT-Tab back to launch the program and click on the Serato .exe.
Choose a couple of CPU's in the Affinity section or try just one and click Save."

you do this without downloading the program, or u have to download the program to do it ?
charlee1985 9:01 PM - 14 February, 2010
nope didnt help much,

the drivers still had a problem, and the sound still stopped after a while of playing.

i really thing that its the drivers :/
spun1_2 2:02 AM - 15 February, 2010
Quote:
Hey spun1_2,

Thanks for the info, if you are able to try it in another application it would be appreciated :) We'll try and reproduce the issue here as well.

In regards to the drivers being at fault, are you able to connect the SL 1 and go to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Rane SL 1. Right click on the Rane SL 1 and select Properties. In the General tab does the Device Status say that the device is working properly? If not, can you please tell me which error code it's giving you?

I have checked my device and it says working properly.

In regards to testing the soundcard in another audio program Im not able to do that. I have an old demo copy of traktor and im not going to be installing that on this pc. I did work before on win xp the same with vdj.

I think my answer is to just wait for Serato to come out with the win7 drivers that still have not been released. Its been like 4 months since Serato says that they are going to be releasing the drivers. Why even post that unless you are actually going to be releasing?
DJ CUTLOOSE 8:30 AM - 15 February, 2010
I will post all my findings and results up here, cus I have a few but they are scattered accross various different threads
What i can say is tho, my set up is workin fine. Did a live 5 hour set friday, and I hammered everthing from the sample banks, loads of beat juggling , scratching, mixing, and pullin tunes from all my many crates, and my laptop was running smooth,stable,and very fast ,absolute joy to use :-)
Oh and updating my files is rapid, it does 4 at a time, 800 files took around 25 mins, but I'll time it next time so you know.

Goto my profile and click the link to my past posts, but I will post them in here later.

Good luck guys
charlee1985 10:57 AM - 15 February, 2010
riite, first time ever that i managed to play a WHOLE track without losing sound! lol

the problem is that it wasnt on Win 7.

I installed Win server 2008R2 on my second partition jsut to try it out.

I didnt install any drivers or updates or anythin, just serato.

Settings are: Buffer 10, Max screen updates 60, Audio cache 15

im gonna try soon, to lower the buffer and max the Audio cache.

see if i will get any loss
El CAne 4:26 PM - 15 February, 2010
at first: excuse my bad english.
My System:

Sony Vaio FW21Z
Core2Duo T9400 @ 2,53 Mhz
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 1920x1080px
Win 7 Pro 64bit

SL1, Serato1.9.2 & 2.0.0 beta 7

at this moment I've got not really a problem with the OS. The only little thing is the following: I'm using the horizontal waveform display. Since i'm using Win7 the width of the waveform display is only as half, as it was with Win Vista. Maybe it is a driver problem from the GFX card or it is a bug of Serato.
charlee1985 4:35 PM - 15 February, 2010
@El CAne

go on

-setup
-Display
-Put the Audio cache(seconds) to 60

that shoud make it bigger :)

@DJ CUTLOOSE

riite, this is weird.

Ive beein mixing for the last 1 hour and everythin works fine :S

i plugged in serato on the esata/usb port and my Korg nanokontrol onthe usb port next to the power supply

i dont get why it works now but it does! lol

i got same Dell 1558 laptop wit u. Just my i5 is on 2.24 and i got it a week ago

I did a fresh install of win 7 and i only installed drivers so far, nothin else.

have u kept the dell bar, or u unistall it ?
jakesteel1 11:16 PM - 15 February, 2010
Dom,

You ever get your problem solved?

I read about half the posts and didn't see if you found a solution.

I was thinking of installing Windows 7, but am now having second thoughts. I use one of my lap tops exclusively for serato and it works fine. I mean, if it aint broke...
El CAne 8:07 AM - 16 February, 2010
@ charlee1985: thx, *lol* at most of all times the error is sitting in front of the computer.

@jakesteel1: now i can say - for me Serato and Win7 x64 works out of any known problems. But if you got an exclusive Computer for DJing, think about the 1st rule: "NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM"
DJ CUTLOOSE 10:26 AM - 16 February, 2010
Glad you got it sorted Charlee and I'm not sure if I have the Dell toolbar on mine, but my quest now will be to remove or switch off anything that is not needed .

The only time I connect to the internet is for updates,but if its running sweet I doubt I will even do that .

I have my buffer at 4, screen updates full speed, and audio cache full loading speed.

I would advise anyone who is using SSL to keep there machine just for SSL only and dont connect to the net,this is something I have always belived and done over the last 4 years from using XP.

Because I'm not a computer expert, I really have to learn stuff from the forums or experience like most of us, but know what I really want to do is get W7 to runn with as few programs and procceses in the background. If I open task manager, there is around 60 at the moment , way too much , I know I don't need all that going on !

So if any of the Support guys or peeps on here can look into what stuff we can turn of that would be a massive help. In XP you could set up a seperate hardware profile where there were loads maybe 30 things you could switch off. This is the direction I wanna go in now !

Any advise would be very welcome

DJ Cutloose
El CAne 11:08 AM - 16 February, 2010
@DJ CUTLOOSE: the runnnig programs and processes are not really a problem. Just turn them off one by one, Windows give u a msg if the process is necessary for it.
themadarchitect 1:48 PM - 16 February, 2010
Not for nothing, but after reading through a lot of the replies in this thread, I have to say I am a little disappointed with the level of professionalism.

First let me say I do not work for either of the companies involved, and I do COMPLETELY understand the frustration of not getting software you depend on to work. But as a professional, I would never change a system that I use for work based off of a BETA test or current in house testing results. (which it seems a lot of ppl did) Do we all want Serato to be certified to work with Win7 64?..of course..many Pro Tools users have been waiting on that a long time as well..But I don't remember reading anywhere that Serato RECOMMENDED or QUALIFIED their product for Win7. So those who did this, did it at their own risk. Now you are here complaining about the disaster you now have on your hands and passing the buck saying that the company should've developed something by now to be the fix all. Even after being told that their currently is no solution to some of the issues, you still continue to complain. BUT NO ONE TOLD YOU TO BUY THIS SYSTEM!

I have seen how long it takes just to qualify software with a particular motherboard, far less an operating system being run on thousands of mother boards. It is simply not as easy as you would hope it to be, and not a fast process. So there cannot be an ETA because there is no way of knowing all of the variables. As a matter of fact, most companies, even when they finish quality and assurance tests, STILL CANNOT GUARANTEE that their product will work on EVERY SYSTEM. There is just no way of testing all possible combinations while keeping something somewhat affordable. I used to be of the mindset that a successful company with thousands of daily sales should have the cure for everything, but it just doesn't work that way..and for the most part, this product has been rock solid in performance when following the recommendations of the staff.

I for one value that Serato would take their time and have a stable release over the most platforms possible, than release BETA drivers or software that would potentially damage my system or cause loss of information. You guys should value that too.

There is a valuable lesson to be learned here. If it aint broke, don't fix it!!! Especially, if like me, this is how to pay your mortgage. I have a Win7 64 bit system now, but it IS NOT MY MAIN WORK SYSTEM. That would've been extremely presumptuous and irresponsible on my part. Equally irresponsible would be me passing the blame to someone who specifically told me that their product was not yet qualified to work on a particular OS.

So hang tight guys. Serato has been a great company with a great product up to date. No one could've expected so many people would want to go to a 64 bit OS in such record number. MOST software is still not qualified for use on a 64 bit OS (even the old ones)..and even when most of these softwares work, they are not capable of using the extra power of 64 bit either way. I am confident that when they do qualify ScratchLive for Win 7 and 64 bit, we will all enjoy the stability and performance we've grown accustom too.
charlee1985 3:29 PM - 16 February, 2010
dont forget that if it wasnt for people like us, willing to try new software and report all the bugs or fixes to serato, serato programmers would still struggle by themselves to find solutions to the Win 7 problems.

To solve a problem, more brains is always better than 1

:)
charlee1985 4:26 PM - 16 February, 2010
hmm, today i lost sound again, but this time the usb dropout symbol appeared. i changed the buffer to 7 and it works ok.

wonder why tho, when yesterday i was djing fine with the buffer on 4
Blazin Vybes 3:24 AM - 17 February, 2010
i haver to agree with themadarchitect 100% on his statement regarding serato, windows7 and its users. Myself i'm in the same boat as many of you guys i need a new laptop and besides a MAC (which im not fond of) i have to wait for drivers to properly use W7 however i\m keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes open to other options. Right now the thought of using XP doesnt interest me but if my back stays up against a wall thats the route i gotta go i play out 3-4 nites a week so i'm gonna have to cross that path sooner or later.

For those who actuallyt got your units to work properly i'm happy for yall and for those who havent yall gotta wait vs having a pity party on the forums. i dealt with this when the 64bit versions came out and i had to try and find a 32bit system and months later serato came out with the drivers for 64bit lot of people complained but it didnt help the drivers come out any faster.
DJANGENYC 4:43 PM - 17 February, 2010
Xp is becoming less and less of an option.
Going on 4 months and nothing on Windows 7
I along with my other DJ friends are beginning to explore other options also and getting a Mac isn't one of them.

SL version 2 coming out. Will this be Windows 7 ready?

What's the deal?
charlee1985 12:11 AM - 18 February, 2010
riitee,

jsut came bk from 5 hours of djing live with no crash, dropouts or sound loss :)
spun1_2 8:59 PM - 18 February, 2010
Why is everyone overlooking the fact the serato has posted 4 months ago to expect release of drivers for win7.

Im not using my win7 64bit machine to play out live.. But come on damn. I HAD to buy a new machine when my old lappy went bad.. Go to any store now and tell me where you can find a pc with something other than win7?

So its nice that some people that have luck with their setups and say that some of us that dont have luck should just do something else..

The facts are that Serato has said they will be releasing drivers.. That is what this POST IS ABOUT>. So where are the drivers? And why dont Serato just put up another post and say that its not going to happen instead.

Its like teasing people.. here were almost ready to release but you cant have it.

And 2 weeks ago Serato also said they would release ver 2.. that didnt happen..

So the point is, dont say something if you cant back it up.. its simple..
Im gonna make more popcorn now and wait for the release.
StevePace 7:21 AM - 19 February, 2010
I'm running W7 ultimate x64 on an AMD Athlon 64x2 and got Serato running no problem with the vista64bit drivers. I feel honoured that for once I didn't get every possible issue known to man (which is the norm for me). Anyway, I didn't post just to gloat....

The only issue I have is that Scratch Live doesn't detect my SL1 after boot. Windows knows about it but SL doesn't. All I have to do to resolve it is unplug and plug the SL1 USB cable again and then SL recognises it every time thereafter, until I reboot again and have to repeat the process.

It's a minor issue but I thought it worth feeding back to the Serato team, as well as asking if anyone knows of a permanent fix for it. Cheers
charlee1985 11:13 AM - 19 February, 2010
yeah i do the same thing StevePace.

i have to unplug nad plug it bk in to work
Juste E 12:20 PM - 1 March, 2010
Ok here is my deal:

I have a Toshiba L505-S5971, Intel Centrino Duo Core , 4gigs of ram and I'm Dual Booting Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. I am using(attempting anyway) Serato version 1.92 (19222)

I have the same problem with both OS's. I plug my interface into a 2.0 usb port and my computer seems to recognize the interface for a second, as the blue LED turns on , then soon after windows installs its own driver, the LED turns off. FYI, I have disabled the automatic install of drivers aswell as disabled UAC(not that it matters, but I did none the less).

FYI, I can not see the Rane SL1 Device under USB in the Device manager. I can however find an event under Event Viewer. Event ID 20001.

Event ID 20001 (this is a Win 7 specific event)
"Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\seratousb.inf_amd64_neutral_78716a8e2f89800c\seratousb.
inffor Device Instance ID USB\VID_13E5&PID_0001\5&171DDF10&0&1 with the following status: 0x0"

I have also found a reference to the Rane SL1 under the Win 7 action center.

I have installed Serato without the interface connected. I then opend up Serato and plugged my interface in. The software will recognize that the Scratch Live interface is plugged in for a second(blue LED illuminates) then prompt me that the interface is no longer plugged in(LED will turn off aswell). But before Serato fails to see the interface the software grants me access to all of it features, but none of the features are functional. I.E. pitch control, cue points, etc. In other words, Serato is open, but nothing works.

This is a really big pain in the ass! I hope my input assists you. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Thanks.
algorhythm 2:43 PM - 3 March, 2010
I want you to imagine back to Christmas morning when you were 7 years old. Remember the excitement, the anticipation, the innocent eagerness to revel in the gifts that awaited under the tree and hung in stockings. Now imagine Michael R. and the kind folks at Serato walking into your living room, taking the stockings from the mantle, and throwing them in the fire just before steal all your gifts from under the tree. As Michael R. leaves he turns to you and says, "You can have these back someday, I will never give you any insight as to when, you'll never know if I am even telling the truth, and the only thing you can do about it is check our forum everyday for the next 8 months so I can screw with you even more with my half assed updates on when you may receive your gifts back kid".
Now I know that Serato didn't ask for Windows to change their OS, but they knew that it was going to happen. They were given ample amount of time to write new drivers, and they fell short. My frustration comes from the fact that there seems to be a lack of urgency from the staff to fix the problem. The "updates" seem more like political spin that any kind of truth. How hard is it to give a date? I mean make it a large range like "sometime mid-summer". But to give not even the slightest glimps of light on the subject suggest that the problem isn't being taken seriously. You guys might be working your tails off on fixing the problem, I don't really know. But from what I see from your "official statements" suggest otherwise.
So thanks guys for the $3000 paper weight that once was a DJ rig. For the rest of my DJ brotheren, I'll let you know how I like Traktor, I'm just tired of waiting.
DJANGENYC 3:50 PM - 3 March, 2010
I'm willing to switch if necessary. Maybe Serato only wants to deal with the Mac Os, I don't know. However If another company offers better support for Windows then I'm jump ship. Let us know how it goes.
DJ Frayz 11:52 PM - 3 March, 2010
Just wanted to present some of my findings in hopes that it will help others.

I also was experiencing the Code 10 issue on my new Gateway laptop. i3, Model nv7915u, Windows 7 x64. I uninstalled all USB devices, rebooted, removed all references to Serato on disk and in the registry, disabled wireless, Updated drivers via Start...Programs...Serato, and nothing.

Then I *disabled* (instead of uninstalling) every other USB device on the system, including the built-in webcam, and it still didn't work. Then I unplugged my external mouse. VOILA! The SL1 worked when I plugged it in. Then, when I plugged in my mouse, SL1 was fine but now the MOUSE had a Code 10.

Just for giggles, I tried another Win7 x64 laptop and the same things happened. Once I disabled and physically removed all the other USB devices it was fine.

So, my theory is, SL1 must be the first or only active USB device plugged into the system:
- If you plug the SL1 in before anything else, it should work fine.
- If you plug the SL1 in after other devices, those devices will work but the SL1 will not.

Rane/Serato still needs to give us a driver update. But in the meantime, I can settle for not using my external mouse over not being able to use Serato. :)
charlee1985 2:35 AM - 4 March, 2010
+1 to algorhythm
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:20 AM - 4 March, 2010
Hey Juste E,

Can you please try this:

1) Ensure Scratch Live is closed.
2) Connect the SL 1 to your computer.
3) Click the Windows Start button and go to All Programs -> Serato -> ScratchLIVE
4) In there you will see the Update Drivers program, click and run this.
5) The drivers for the SL 1 will now be installed.

Does Scratch Live now recognise when the SL 1 is connected?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:20 AM - 4 March, 2010
Hey algorhythm,

I'm sorry you feel that way. Are you able to please tell me what the problem is you are having?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:24 AM - 4 March, 2010
Also, for those of you that are having the "error (code 10)" issue, are you able to go to your laptop manufacturers website and see if there is a BIOS update available? We've had reports of this solving this issue, so I'm keen to hear if it works for you all :)
algorhythm 1:48 AM - 5 March, 2010
Quote:
Hey algorhythm,

I'm sorry you feel that way. Are you able to please tell me what the problem is you are having?

It's not about how it makes me "feel", it about facts!!!
Fact 1: Windows 7 release date was July 22, 2009.
Fact 2: Rane Serato Scratch Live programmers knew months BEFORE the release date that they had a problem.
Fact 3: It is 8 months after the fact and the problem is still there.
Fact 4: the only real solution given is to us a Mac or a PC with Windows XP
Fact 5: YOU CANT BUY A COMPUTER WITH XP ANYMORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fact 6: when approached about the issue, serato stalls with empty statements that suggest that a solution is near and by repeating "hey try the thing that we have told you to try ten times already"
Fact 7: please pay attention to this fact--I paid $550 for your useless interface.

To elaborate I like everyone else on this thread, am a paying customer. The fact that you seem comfortable leaving your customers in the dark is very disturbing. To be blunt, it's bad business and with other interfaces quickly gaining ground, this lack of effort will hit your sales hard.

As you asked, I will explain my issue:
I have a new Dell Studio 1569 laptop with Windows 7 Premium. It has a 5i core processor, 500G hard drive and 4G of RAM

Like most the problem presents as follows.
The issue is simply "Rane Hardware Disconnected". In Device Manager it reads that there is an issue with the driver. I have done everything suggested on this site and others, I have Googled, I have Blinged, and I am tempted to kgb it, but I have done everything that can be done to get serato to work with the computer that I have and I have tried it over and over again. You new suggestion about updating the BIOS did nothing. After each attempt, I reopen Serato to find that nightmare yellow "!" triangle (I see it in my sleep). Digest that.

With Love,
Algorhythm

To everyone else,
I have a DJ friend who uses Traktor and he loves it. He prefers the horizontal scrolling of the sound wwave, but I guess that is a personal preference.
algorhythm 1:52 AM - 5 March, 2010
Opps....I posted before I was finished.
To add, he said that he uses it with Windows 7 and it runs flawlessly. He did say that the only thing that he doesn't like is that it doesn't record. As to loading and the vinyl to interface aspect, he says it is as smooth as serato.
The Real DJ Maestro 2:27 AM - 5 March, 2010
Ok i'm using a toshiba satellite L455-S5975 W/Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit, Intel Celeron 900, 2 Gig DDR2 Ram, 250GB HDD,

2 issues i have is, the usb buffer is set to 8 thats rather high..... but i don't get drop outs when its set that high. secondly if i don't use shit and left or shift and right sometime my screen will freeze up. But for the most part my laptop works fine, i've used it several times at the club without any issues except the usb buffer problem and the screeb freezing.

Hopefully ScratchLive will get a windows 7 driver soon so these issues won't happen again..... Maybe the 64 bit machines are too much for the scratchlive SL1
The Real DJ Maestro 2:32 AM - 5 March, 2010
U may have to use vista drivers to set up serato on a windows 7 computer... I have my mac, my pc with windows xp and my new toshiba with windows 7.... i've used them all in the club. Windows 7 is vista all over again, so the same thing you did with ya vista os do with ya windows 7... use the same drivers the same installation and all should be okay. I think the 64 bit os are not supported cuz i know 3 people with windows 7 32 bit and they don't have no issues expect drop outs and screen freezes, and u get drop outs and screen freezes with macs and pc with xp.
DJ Frayz 2:38 AM - 5 March, 2010
"U may have to use vista drivers to set up serato on a windows 7 computer"

But that's exactly the problem. You MUST use Vista drivers - Windows 7 drivers don't even exist!
The Real DJ Maestro 2:43 AM - 5 March, 2010
yeah Frayz thats crazy, but i guess u gotta do what u gotta do til they get it right.... Which may take some time. I was fustrated when i first used my computer trying to set up the drivers and all that. It was a hassle, i hope they get it right sooner then later
algorhythm 3:10 AM - 5 March, 2010
okay, so how do you get the Vista drivers onto a Windows 7 machine. I have the understanding that Serato downloads all drivers to your computer then configures (or attempts to) based on the OS.
So is there a way to manually have Windows 7 use the Vista drivers?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:14 AM - 5 March, 2010
Hi algorhythm,

While I try not take things personally, I find the fact you call my support "empty statements" incredibly disheartening. I'm trying as hard as I can to support every user in this thread - if you take a look you'll see I've had some success, while other issues are still outstanding. I've done nothing but be honest and up front the whole time and have absolutely nothing to hide. I'm as keen as everyone else in here to see this issue resolved - believe me, I take no pleasure in knowing that there is an ongoing issue that I'm trying to assist with and that I can't provide a 100% guaranteed solution.

One of the "facts" you have pointed out: "Rane Serato Scratch Live programmers knew months BEFORE the release date that they had a problem." is completely untrue and a baseless accusation. We only discovered this issue when users such as Dom-SeratoUser posted about it around January this year. Since then we've been trying to solve it- we have purchased new i5 machines for the sole purpose of working on this issue.

Sorry to vent, but I am TRYING as hard as I can to give you all a solution. Please believe that I'm giving 100% in trying to solve this.

Now, back to your issue - does the SL 1 driver show in Device Manager when you have the SL 1 connected? If so, does it display an error message or code? Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the driver?
algorhythm 3:54 AM - 5 March, 2010
Michael R.,
I'm sorry if my words may seem harsh, but it is my perspective. For the sake of progress, I will try my best to control my frustration and change my tone a bit. As to my "fact" that you didn't care for too much....I apologize. But it's just hard for me to fathom that a group of computer programmers just assumed that their software would work on a brand new OS. I'll make that my final point.
Okay.....done.....you get that I'm frustrated, now back to being civil. I'll take you for your word.

Code 10 just like many others, and yes I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it at least 50 times (not an exaggeration). I've changed the compatibility, I've denied Windows updating drivers automatically. I've unplugged it, plugged it back in, rubbed chicken bones on it,, and disabled all other USB drivers, and every combination of the previous. Then reopen it to find that evil yellow triangle.
So sorry if my frustration is showing through, but I have spent many hours on something that is just supposed to work. Plus I have to listen to my wife complain that she wants her husband back.
I have such a love for music and I just want to get back to it sooner than later and I am only being honest when I sadly say that I may have to go in another direction.
Again, I am sorry and I do appreciate any work you have done.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:58 AM - 5 March, 2010
No worries at all, I totally understand your frustration and the last thing I want to do is make this harder for you :) Thanks for understanding my position too!

Ok, so let's start afresh :)

Do you have any other USB devices connected? Also you said you tried the BIOS update - which one did you download? Are you able to give me a link?

Also just letting you know it's Friday afternoon here. I'll try and get on the net in the weekend if I can :) (I don't have it at home, what a luddite!)
Martin Schweikl 3:03 PM - 5 March, 2010
I am running WINDOWS 7 now since October last year. I had only to install the VISTA drivers in the hardware manager. On the jobs i am using the latest 1.9. Version and I am also trying the new 2.0. release at home. I have no problems with the system.

DELL XPS 1730M
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Bloggy 3:20 PM - 5 March, 2010
Hi, I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on a Dell Studio XPS 16 (1645) with Intel Core i7 720QM CPU, 4GB 1333Mhz Ram, 500GB Hard disk. I have also recently updated the BIOS to the latest (A07).

I have been having similar issues to other members of this forum with the windows driver for SL1. The driver doesn't start properly (Code 10). However I spent some time messing around with settings. I did manage to get the SL1 Working.

I closed SSL and then disconnected the SL1. I then disabled my wifi/bluetooth and ran SSL once again. I then plugged the SL1 back in to my eSata/USB port on the right of the laptop and managed to get it working. However there were other problems. I then tried to plug a mouse into one of the other USB ports, the mouse didn't work. I managed to cope with using the touchpad on the laptop though.

Im not sure if the above information is helpful to anybody else.
DJANGENYC 1:59 PM - 6 March, 2010
I have to agree with the negative comments.
Why isn't there a video showing the tweaks that you recommend for Windows 7?
Would that be so hard to do?
If you have a problem with Windows 7 then you should remove the Serato post which states "To summarize:
*At this stage, we are reasonably satisfied with performance on Windows 7."

How can this be posted and at the same time your saying we are trying everything we can to resolve the issue and that is where the problem lies. A statement like that made many people purchase a new laptop with Windows 7 thinking there would be minor issues. Instead under Windows 7 Serato is not stable at all. This what has pissed off your Windows Users. You should remove that post and post the truth, at this time Serato does not run stable on Windows 7. Forget the fact that you posted it as Windows 7 is not officially supported. Stating that the Serato team was satisfied with Serato under Windows 7 and still having it posted after all these issue is a blatant lie and a misrepresentation of your product.
Juste E 4:12 AM - 7 March, 2010
@ Serato Support:

I have tried that a numerous amount of times. It is actually a race to get to the Update Drivers option before Windows 7 installs its own generic driver thus disabling the interface. As I mentioned in my previous post, my SL1 will be recognized for a few seconds after I plug it into a USB port, once Windows installs its driver it no longer recognizes the interface and so without Windows recognizing the interface Serato will not update the drivers. I have also tried to disable and uninstall the USB drivers without any success.

I cannot even get an exclamation mark with a reference to the interface in device manager. I wish I at the very least had an exclamation point lol! Fyi, I have updated my bios, along with every other driver available for update on my system.

I have not been able to manually uninstall USB drivers and replace them with Seratos drivers. Do you know of a manual method that I may be able to do this? Something that may alow me edit the boot up process perhaps? Or maybe remove Windwos default driver table references and drivers so that Windows is forced to use the SL1 drivers?

FYI, I am a computer tech by trade so don't be afraid to mention some more technically indepth soloutions at me. thanks.
Juste E 4:22 AM - 7 March, 2010
Also, I do not have any other devices on any USB port running simutaneously with Serato at any time. I do not have blue tooth, network cards or the web cam enabled whilst trying to run Serato. And finally all Windows optimization tweaks have been implemented and as you already know, without any success.
Juste E 4:25 AM - 7 March, 2010
Just curious, what flavors of Windows 7 are being used in this discussion and are you running Serato successfully? Perhaps some variations of Windows may be prone to these issues than others? Just a thought. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.
charlee1985 1:42 PM - 7 March, 2010
just a note for all WIN 7 users.

After i read the whole thread, i managed to make my Dell studio 1558 laptop wit i5 and win 7 64bit to work fine!

The only 2 problems i have is

1)I lose randomly sound after a while, when i have my wirless card on.
2)i stil cant plug my mouse in while i have serato ( i still plug in my Nanokontrol tho and an external powered hub)

Things i did to make serato work

1) updated bios

2) turned off wireless

3)make sure my screen doesnt turn off or go on a screen saver while im djin (this will cause loss of sound)

4)if when i start serato i dont get sound, i just unplug and plug bk in sl1 and then it works fine

5)use the Esata port to connect the sl1 box

i hope that helps, cos i no how how annoyin is to buy a brand new awssome laptop, and not beein able to work with it :(

i jsut hope by summer serato will fix the Wireless problem because i usually buy tracks while im djin, if i get a request of a song that i dont have.

or is there away around it already?
Sebastian 8:00 PM - 7 March, 2010
Im feeling similar to a lot of frustrated people out there!
And my windows 7 x64 nightmare goes like this...

Dell xps studio 13" (1340)
win 7 ult 64-bit
intel core 2 duo p8600 @ 2.40ghz
bios updated (a11)
4gb of ram
nvidia dual sli

Drivers installed fine. I just get dropouts around 4-8 times in an hour.
Weirdly when i batter it at home it usually only gets one drop out! It diesnt make sense.

I was just djing with these drop outs. (maths texts books are expensive)
but it came to a sad stop when last week djing. With my freshly reformatted win 7 system. I unplugged the power. And all music stopped, along came the booing and confusion. I decided to halt djing until this is fixed. In adition. I made a power plan called "dj" basically disabled sleep buttons + dimmer screen. When my dell changes power modes it changes its video card (hybrid sli) i think changing from my dj power plan to whatever the plan was changed to when i tool the power adaptor out did it maybe. I simply cant dj anymore with these drop outs.
algorhythm 11:30 PM - 7 March, 2010
Quote:
No worries at all, I totally understand your frustration and the last thing I want to do is make this harder for you :) Thanks for understanding my position too!

Ok, so let's start afresh :)

Do you have any other USB devices connected? Also you said you tried the BIOS update - which one did you download? Are you able to give me a link?

Also just letting you know it's Friday afternoon here. I'll try and get on the net in the weekend if I can :) (I don't have it at home, what a luddite!)

here is the link to my computer's service page, you can find the BIOS that I downloaded there: support.dell.com

I don't have anything plugged in to any of the USB ports.

Thanks again.
Sector478 4:17 AM - 8 March, 2010
Quote:
I am running WINDOWS 7 now since October last year. I had only to install the VISTA drivers in the hardware manager. On the jobs i am using the latest 1.9. Version and I am also trying the new 2.0. release at home. I have no problems with the system.

DELL XPS 1730M
Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I had a slight issue when I first got my Win7 laptop.at first ,the box would not start. After uninstall/reinstall Serato,it has worked ok. I did not go into the registry and delete or any of that stuff but I have been using it for a couple months now and I can say I am reasonably satisfied with performance on win.7O also recently bought a power adapter and use it always I had gotten a couple of dropouts but not anymore.not sure if the power supply is helping keep the buffer steady or not,but I am pretty happy with it right now. what worries me is if the win.7 drivers do come out,they may not work as good as the vista. u know if it aint broke dont f with it. I know me though,I will want to try them if the ever come out.
specs:
Dell Inspiron 1545
Intel dual core 2.1 ghz
4 gig ram
sl1 1.9.2
buffer 5
always disable wireless,antivirus,windows update,screensaver and power options set for no sleepmode or hibernate.basically full power all the time and laptop is always plugged into its charger. I really hope you guys having the real problems can get them sorted because this the best thing to ever happen for djing. as long as it works.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:56 AM - 8 March, 2010
Hey algorhythm,

Thanks for the link. I see that there are four chipset updates on that page too, have you installed those?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:58 AM - 8 March, 2010
Hey charlee1985,

Quote:
1)I lose randomly sound after a while, when i have my wirless card on.

We've always recommended that you have all wireless networking devices turned off when using Scratch Live (they are a common cause of USB dropouts), however you could see if there updated drivers for your wireless card and see if that helps with the problem. These should be found on your laptop manufacturers website.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:59 AM - 8 March, 2010
Hey Juste E,

Can you please tell me which driver Windows is installing when you connect the SL 1?
algorhythm 6:12 PM - 8 March, 2010
Quote:
Hey algorhythm,

Thanks for the link. I see that there are four chipset updates on that page too, have you installed those?

I believe that I did, but I will double check on that when I get home from work. I'll just update them again and I'll let you know if I have any luck.
algorhythm 6:20 PM - 8 March, 2010
Oh by the way, Is there a link to find these Vista drivers that people are trying. I have only found instructions to go to the Dell website to find them there, but when I go there I can't find them.
Also, I have read that others are downgrading to XP and can reinstall Win7 later at no cost, but I can't find out how without an XP installation disc. Anyone have any idea's.
Sebastian 6:53 PM - 8 March, 2010
Ive installed xp on dual boot, however there are no drivers for anything! (dell xps studio 13") ive checked on Dell website aswell. Serato runs. Havent thoroughly tested but will serato be prone to dropouts or freezing due to having no drivers for anything i.e (video, ethernet, wireless, bluetooth, internal audio). Wireless for long gigs is essential!
algorhythm 10:11 PM - 8 March, 2010
Michael R.,
I have updated the all 4 chipsets and still no change. I have even disabled the bluetooth and wireless internet like others have...still no luck :(
Algorhythm
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:45 PM - 8 March, 2010
Hey algorhtym,

Are you running Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:47 PM - 8 March, 2010
Hey Sebastian,

Quote:
will serato be prone to dropouts or freezing due to having no drivers for anything i.e (video, ethernet, wireless, bluetooth, internal audio).

Dropouts are usually due to these devices taking up CPU, but can also be due to poor drivers. If there are no driver updates you may still have these problems.
AlBunDy 2:49 AM - 9 March, 2010
Wow. I have been away from this thread and the forum in general for a month or so.

And still NOBODY has reported back with results on what I told them to do. All of these problems have one thing in common. They are ALL on the new Intel chips. The i3,i5 and the i7. All of you guys keep blaming serato/rane and saying its a windows 7 issue. How do you know that? Did you try xp on your hardware? No. Did you try Vista on your hardware? No. You did not try either of the officially supported OS's.

Just like there was a issue with some of the AMD based systems in the past, this may just be the same thing. A hardware problem. Until ANY of you install the older OS's and drivers on your current i3,i5,i7 machines do not place the blame on Win 7.

I think serato should tell people this. We do not recommend buying a machine based on the i3,i5,i7 Intel chips.

Again. Somebody,anybody please take a nehleham based Intel machine and install vista/xp and see if ssl works properly.
charlee1985 3:26 AM - 9 March, 2010
AlBunDy

the i based systems is the future.

its a bit silly to buy a new laptop with core 2 duo.
Sector478 3:48 AM - 9 March, 2010
I agree.I have absolutely no problems with my win7 serato setup.i love it!!!
DJANGENYC 1:23 PM - 9 March, 2010
Quote:
Wow. I have been away from this thread and the forum in general for a month or so.

And still NOBODY has reported back with results on what I told them to do. All of these problems have one thing in common. They are ALL on the new Intel chips. The i3,i5 and the i7. All of you guys keep blaming serato/rane and saying its a windows 7 issue. .................................

The issue is not only on the the i chips. Read the thread, it involves a variety of chips running on Windows 7.
spun1_2 3:31 PM - 9 March, 2010
Once there is a "real driver" for win7 then lets talk bad about other things.

I have an AMD process and a win7 64bit. Im not going to waste my time and keep telling my problems.

The only way this problem can move forward is by Rane releasing a driver for win7.
So ALBundy i dont konw why you keep directing people to other OS.. We all talking about 1 thing and the 1 thing we ALL have in common is win7. We all have different chipsets.

Ive heard that when you run a dual boot from a win7 machine and make it Xp that it will make your manufacturers warranty void. Of course you can always upgrade to win7 from an Xp machine. But thats not reality for most. Every pc that is made now is all win7 so whats the point at looking at the past. Most djs i know arent using just vinyl anymore. Everyone looks to the future of this business. Video mixing etc.

So i think that there is NO need to post about this problem and hope there is a fix out there. Rane doesnt support win7 yet for a reason. They havent been able to figure out how to make a driver. It obvious to me and i hope others see it to.

Its too bad that Serato is such a great product when it works. Otherwise this company would really lose lots of future customers.
algorhythm 6:34 PM - 9 March, 2010
Michael R.,
I am running Win7 64 bit.
DJANGENYC 11:18 PM - 9 March, 2010
I think its established that Serato Scratch Live is not Stable on Windows 7, that's just a fact.
I don't even want to think about Scratch live2. If its not stable now forget about adding more tracks or other features. Just make some drivers for windows 7.
Is that so much to ask
culcha 12:34 AM - 10 March, 2010
wow.i've read every post in here.and i'm running windows 7 64
hp dv6
intel i5 quad processor
500gb hd
4 gb ddr3 memory
and besides a few glitches.my system has been running flawlessly for months now.and i dj almost everyday. so it's kinda strange to me to see so much problems being reported about serato not been supported by windows.
DJANGENYC 12:55 AM - 10 March, 2010
Quote:
wow.i've read every post in here.and i'm running windows 7 64
hp dv6
intel i5 quad processor
500gb hd
4 gb ddr3 memory
and besides a few glitches.my system has been running flawlessly for months now.and i dj almost everyday. so it's kinda strange to me to see so much problems being reported about serato not been supported by windows.

What are your few glitches?
Angel Jr 1:54 AM - 10 March, 2010
Perhaps b4 i buy a Windows 7 OS laptop, i should buy a MacBook Pro instead. You guys have taught me from your OS compatibility issues. Thanks!
DJANGENYC 2:06 AM - 10 March, 2010
Quote:
Perhaps b4 i buy a Windows 7 OS laptop, i should buy a MacBook Pro instead. You guys have taught me from your OS compatibility issues. Thanks!

I have been very happy with Windows 7. Very stable and very fast. All we need are the drivers or a Windows 7 version of Scratch live and I'm sure these issues will go away.
Angel Jr 2:45 AM - 10 March, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I am a big fan of Windows in general. i don't know what all the fuss is about. However, i don't have a windows 7 OS. I currently use Windows XP for my tower. But i need to move on to a new OS. I still hate the fact that i need to spend 3k on a laptop from Mac. I prefer a Windows OS & laptop. I still going to wait before i make a laptop purchase. We all have too much at stake here waiting for driver updates.
Angel Jr 2:48 AM - 10 March, 2010
To add. I would like to get the SL -3 since i normally use 3 1200's in my Urei 1620. The SL - 3 allows me to use 3 decks with 2 12's. That's great. No more vynil to carry for me hopefully. But, i don't think that Windows 7 can handle the task at hand with what i have read.
Angel Jr 2:52 AM - 10 March, 2010
Every laptop sold today has Windows 7 on it. I was looking at a Toshiba back lit keyboard, 17inch monitor, i5 chip set with 4gb of ram & 500 GB HARDRIVE. for about 1,700.00 Pretty good price for a midgrade laptop.
Angel Jr 3:06 AM - 10 March, 2010
I guess the Windows XP professional would do if i am not mistaken?
DJANGENYC 3:29 PM - 10 March, 2010
I use XP now with no issues and have another laptop with Windows 7 that is not stable enough for events.
I just can't wait for the Serato Drivers to come out for Windows 7 64.
djdannyd 3:40 PM - 10 March, 2010
New release candidate for 2.0 just released yeasterday. Check that section and test away. Now I know it's only beta and should not be used in live events but at least you can try the drivers and report back so Serato can make improvements and fix any bugs.
charlee1985 4:44 PM - 10 March, 2010
wow michael R i think i actually love u ! lol

i updated my wireless card driver, and im mixin for the last hour with wireless on and browsing on google chrome and hvnt lost sound at all! :)
algorhythm 11:29 PM - 10 March, 2010
I've downloaded the beta version of 2.0 and I am having the same problem. I've been playing with it for a little over an hour and it is doing the exact same as 1.9.2
I guess no new drivers >:-(
Hopefully the official release will include them........ but for some reason I doubt it. I guess I'll have to go on ebay to find a used up laptop with a 10 year old OS if I ever want to use my rig again.
To Michael R. I sincerely appreciate your assistance in trying to make my computer work with Serato, but I am 110% convinced that it IS the driver and the only solution is to wait for one that works, so I am at the mercy of your programmers.
I wasn't putting to much faith in 2.0, because it is just a beta version, but my patience is officially gone. So I I have to take a break from trying as to keep my sanity intact. I would like to leave with a bit of advice to our friends at Serato, it's time to sh!t or get of the pot!!!!!!
Please excuse the Southern colloquialism.
djdannyd 1:57 AM - 11 March, 2010
On the 2.0 download folder, I saw driver folder for various windows OS?
algorhythm 1:21 PM - 11 March, 2010
They are only text files.
spun1_2 3:23 PM - 11 March, 2010
Ok its been over 2 months this post has been open..

Houses can be built faster than this tech problem can be resolved.

Im asking a direct question here. No more asking what are your specs what are your problems.

When is Serato going to give us a driver?

Come on already this isnt brain surgery. If you dont have qualified people working for you. Then its obvious to me you guys need help!!..
djdannyd 3:34 PM - 11 March, 2010
Why would I buy a computer "now", knowing that SSL isn't officially supporting whatever OS this computer comes with?

You can't demand this things, you jumped the gun, bought a shitty, cheap laptop and now you're blaming others for your own fault. Doesn't make sense to me!
spun1_2 7:23 PM - 11 March, 2010
Ok since you wanna know my personal decision.

I have an old laptop that i have had for 6 years. The a/c powerjack went bad. The cost is $125 to repair. So instead of investing the money into old technology I bought a new lappy.. It wasnt "cheap". Maybe some have deeper pockets and can buy a mac. But mac isnt all that.

So now i go the the store and look for a pc. Maybe you can tell me which pc that is selling now that has anythin else but win7 64bit?

Ok mr DannyD.. now why would Rane say months ago that they are fairly confident about win7 and supporting it. Then its my fault for asking Rane to follow thru with what they have said.? Maybe i have to speak like a 3rd grader for you to understand since it dont make sense to you.

This is the FUTURE people. and anyone buying a pc now is also going to have to make that choice also.. Other softwares have been supporting win7 since its release. But for some reason Rane is just dancing around the issue. This whole post was started for an Offical Answer. And we have yet to recieve an offical answer.
Its a simple question. When will Serato be having a driver for win7?

So Danny at least you can learn from others. And why dont you keep your commnets to yourself if you dont have an answer. Im not demanding anything else than a simple answer.
djdannyd 8:00 PM - 11 March, 2010
Your personal attacks don't rattle me at all, but I am going to say one thing. If you and others that went ahead and bought a new machine with windows 7 64 bit, should give as much positive feedback as possible to help the situation better.
algorhythm 11:57 PM - 11 March, 2010
Seriously djdannyd,
Have you even read this post? Just Google "Serato Scratch Live Windows 7"......look on youtube.....there are countless people giving "as much positive feedback as possible". That's not the issue. The issue is that Serato has no answer what so ever....zero.....zilch....nada!!
I have to agree with spun1_2, you and the fortunate others who have no issues should just stay off of this post. I know that you are just trying to defend Serato because it is an awesome dj tool (when it works), but we love it too. Thats why we are all eager for it to work again.
Honestly, the only thing I got from your 2 cents is , "Ha Ha, I have a Mac, it is soooooooo much better than your PC. This is what you get for not having 3 grand to drop on a laptop".
With all due respect, keep your 2 cents to yourself please.
charlee1985 1:04 PM - 12 March, 2010
ye dannyD go talk with ur other Mac friends :P

haha
djdannyd 2:25 PM - 12 March, 2010
Good morning guys, FYI I don't have a mac, I own 3 machines, 2 XP and 1 Vista.
charlee1985 11:27 AM - 13 March, 2010
so last nite for 3 hours,

i Was mixing on serato
i Was using Facebook on Chrome
I was streaming my Mix live
and
i was on msn

lol

no crash, no audio drop outs ot anythin!

:)
Juste E 8:11 PM - 13 March, 2010
@Serato

So, my laptop loads the following driver:

Intel ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date 6/21/2006
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Files:
usbhub.sys
usbport.sys
usbuhci.sys

Mind you, these are drivers loaded for my USB ports. My SL1 is only recognized by the Device Manager for a split second then disappears.

Here is my latest development:

I disabled all my USB ports then enabled them one by one restarting my system for every instance. My findings: when I enabled all but 2 of the device drivers, the blue LED on my Serato unit came on. Good news right? Wrong. Although my LED came on, my Serato unit is still not recognized by my computer system and obviously not by Serato Scratch either. FYI, when I do enable the last 2 drivers my LED light turns off.
While jumping through all these hoops I disabled my wifi, PCIe controller, and web cam.

Still not working.
The Real DJ Maestro 7:21 PM - 14 March, 2010
Why can't we just get the damn drivers for Windows 7......... I guess if we keep on complaining they will never come. So we shall wait and see.
spun1_2 9:41 PM - 14 March, 2010
We cant get the drivers cause Rane is still hiring for the position. Look at the Work for Serato link below this post.!! Looks like were gonna need an applicant from NASA to fix this. Most people that work for NASA are still busy sending people to Mars.

So yes we will all just wait. Note how Serato has stopped posting in this discussion. They have no more excuses. Its simple . No driver== no support for win7. Once there is a driver then they will support. I would like to make one last point. All other competing softwares are supporting win7. So go figure the software that has a reputation in the USA for being a leader sure looks like a follower to me.
DJ CUTLOOSE 10:54 PM - 14 March, 2010
Quote:
Just wanted to present some of my findings in hopes that it will help others.

I also was experiencing the Code 10 issue on my new Gateway laptop. i3, Model nv7915u, Windows 7 x64. I uninstalled all USB devices, rebooted, removed all references to Serato on disk and in the registry, disabled wireless, Updated drivers via Start...Programs...Serato, and nothing.

Then I *disabled* (instead of uninstalling) every other USB device on the system, including the built-in webcam, and it still didn't work. Then I unplugged my external mouse. VOILA! The SL1 worked when I plugged it in. Then, when I plugged in my mouse, SL1 was fine but now the MOUSE had a Code 10.

Just for giggles, I tried another Win7 x64 laptop and the same things happened. Once I disabled and physically removed all the other USB devices it was fine.

So, my theory is, SL1 must be the first or only active USB device plugged into the system:
- If you plug the SL1 in before anything else, it should work fine.
- If you plug the SL1 in after other devices, those devices will work but the SL1 will not.

Rane/Serato still needs to give us a driver update. But in the meantime, I can settle for not using my external mouse over not being able to use Serato. :)

I have the same thing, so I run my mouse thru a powered 4 way usb hub, and everthing is kool :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:04 AM - 15 March, 2010
Hey guys,

Just letting you all know Scratch Live 2.0 FINAL will contain Windows 7 compatible drivers. This should hopefully not be far away :)
Juste E 6:22 AM - 15 March, 2010
How "hopefully not be far away" do you figure? Guesstimation would be great.
charlee1985 2:10 PM - 15 March, 2010
woo :)

finally

+111111111111111111
DJANGENYC 3:27 PM - 15 March, 2010
Quote:
Hey guys,

Just letting you all know Scratch Live 2.0 FINAL will contain Windows 7 compatible drivers. This should hopefully not be far away :)

How about Windows 7 drivers for 1.9.2? Will Serato release one?

I don't want to jump on 2.0 right away however I would love to run Scratch Live 1.9.2 on my new laptop.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:44 AM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
How "hopefully not be far away" do you figure?

I can't speculate sorry but Scratch Live 2.0 is in the release candidate stage at the moment, so it is moving towards final release.

Quote:

It's not designed for it, but it may work.
AlBunDy 5:19 AM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

And still NOBODY has reported back with results on what I told them to do. All of these problems have one thing in common. They are ALL on the new Intel chips. The i3,i5 and the i7. All of you guys keep blaming serato/rane and saying its a windows 7 issue. .................................

The issue is not only on the the i chips. Read the thread, it involves a variety of chips running on Windows 7.

I have read the thread. And ALL of the problems getting the HW to be recognized by windows 7 64 bit had the i series chips.

Dual booting does not void a hw warranty also to the person that brought that up.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:14 AM - 16 March, 2010
I really feel like we are getting pimped! So if you don't have a Mac you are basically shit out of luck, no drivers for 1.9.2
And Lord only knows when 2.0 Final will be available.
In my ED LOVER voice C'mon Son!
DJANGENYC 1:26 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

It's not designed for it, but it may work.

Thanks for the reply.

Guess I'll have to stick with my XP laptop until 2.0 becomes as stable as 1.9.2.

Here's to hoping that the Windows 7 Drivers for 2.0 will work on 1.9.2
DJemmo 6:42 PM - 17 March, 2010
I have got mine to work on windows 7 ultimate by accident. As i went into remove serato i clicked on the repair program instead of uninstall i had my sl1 already plugged in then it some how automatically installed the drivers for it im guesing the driver they use for vista 64bit must work on 7 it is running fine with no problems just as good as it runs on my mac too. Give it a try if you are still stuck not a bad accident hey but it is deffo working now ..
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:53 PM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:
I have got mine to work on windows 7 ultimate by accident. As i went into remove serato i clicked on the repair program instead of uninstall i had my sl1 already plugged in then it some how automatically installed the drivers for it im guesing the driver they use for vista 64bit must work on 7 it is running fine with no problems just as good as it runs on my mac too. Give it a try if you are still stuck not a bad accident hey but it is deffo working now ..

yes the vista drivers have been working for some totaly fine. but these newer duo core and i-chips have been having issues. plus 1.9.2 was made before win7.

but now serato have said they got win7 drivers and 2.0 has been made with win 7 in mind so should work better then.

most peeps have got win7 to work by making sure there win7 is upto date and all there drivers for there laptop upto date and updating there bios... then install serato and install vista drivers.

but for those who cant get to work will have to hold tight till 2.0

i just got a new laptop with win7 64bit. i got it all installed easy as abc... but i havnt tested it out live yet. so my fingers are crossed.......
Juste E 9:48 PM - 17 March, 2010
@LJ_WOOSLEY: really? most people got it to work by doing that?
spiker6750 10:38 PM - 18 March, 2010
im currently looking for a new pc and after reading alot of comments on this forum and many others i am skeptical....if a download for XP OS is available does serato still run on these newer PC's? Has anyone tried?....i really dont want to spend a $1,000 for a mac.
DJANGENYC 12:01 AM - 19 March, 2010
The Dell Studio Series Laptops are nice.
I have the Dell Studio 13. They have the back lit keyboards like the Macbook pros and the screen is just a crisp. I'm currently running 2.0 on it with Windows 7 64bit and so far so good. I would wait to see if problems are still happening with the i series intel chips before getting one of these. However even the Macbook pros will have the i series chips so I can only hope these chips aren't a problem.
Go to Dealnews.com or techbargains.com when you want to purcase a Dells Studio Laptop. You can find some great deals here. You might want to make sure you get a dedicated video card on your laptop. Stick with ATI, the NVIDIA are even giving problems on the Macbook pros.
Good Luck.
DJANGENYC 1:05 AM - 19 March, 2010
Just to follow up on my previous post above, I have a Dell Studio XPS 13 - 1320
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:53 AM - 19 March, 2010
Hey Juste E,

I'm sorry, this thread has gotten quite large and I missed this post you made:

Quote:
So, my laptop loads the following driver:

Intel ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date 6/21/2006
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Files:
usbhub.sys
usbport.sys
usbuhci.sys

Mind you, these are drivers loaded for my USB ports. My SL1 is only recognized by the Device Manager for a split second then disappears.

Here is my latest development:

I disabled all my USB ports then enabled them one by one restarting my system for every instance. My findings: when I enabled all but 2 of the device drivers, the blue LED on my Serato unit came on. Good news right? Wrong. Although my LED came on, my Serato unit is still not recognized by my computer system and obviously not by Serato Scratch either. FYI, when I do enable the last 2 drivers my LED light turns off.
While jumping through all these hoops I disabled my wifi, PCIe controller, and web cam.

Can I get you to try this:

1) Click on the Windows Start button.
2) Right click on "Computer" and select Properties.
3) When the System window opens click the Advanced System Settings option.
4) When the System Properties window opens go to the Hardware tab and click the Device Installation Settings button.
5) Finally the Device Installation Settings window will open. Select "No, let me choose what to do" and then "Never install driver software from Windows Upate".
6) Now run the Scratch Live driver update again and connect the Rane hardware.

Does this help at all?
spiker6750 2:50 AM - 19 March, 2010
idk from what i've heard the dell studio laptops get super hot, and they tend to crash
algorhythm 12:12 PM - 19 March, 2010
Quote:
idk from what i've heard the dell studio laptops get super hot, and they tend to crash

I have a Studio 1569, and it runs great. It is warm like most laptops but nothing unusual. I do have a 5i chip, so serato doesn't work,
DJANGENYC 3:01 PM - 19 March, 2010
Quote:

I have a intel core dual p8700 chip on it. It does get hot however windows 7 seems to solve any crashing etc that I was experiencing.
I have used Dell computers for years and I have not had any problems with them. They are work horses.
spiker6750 5:38 PM - 20 March, 2010
hmm ill look into it. im just starting to think at this point that a used mac may be the best way to go right now...i can't believe i just said that lol
Sector478 8:29 PM - 20 March, 2010
update. I just bought another new laptop because me and my girl have been sharing the dell since xmas. well after all the problems we have been hearing about,I was very nervous about getting a different brand. well the dell inspiron 1545 was not the same spec as the one we bought before and it had less RAM. well there was a Toshiba with 2.2 GHz dual core Intel 4gig RAM and it was 100.00 less. I decided to give it a try. got it home updated everything install anti-virus. finally got ready to install 1.9.2. I now have it running just as good as it does on the dell. it also runs with buffer set at 5 I may even try to lower it a bit more but it seems fine at 5. all this talk about Win.7 being the issue, I just dont get it. I now have 2 PCs running it very smooth and no USB dropouts. I think the people having problems all had the new i3 i5 and i7 Intel chips.
Juste E 8:47 PM - 20 March, 2010
lol
Sector478 11:59 AM - 21 March, 2010
yeah it is funny that I seem to be able to get this shit to work just fine,huh?
brian s redd 2:31 PM - 21 March, 2010
Hi Kids

First Post

Been having the windows 7 issues as well. I can actually get SSL to work & it seems to work just fine. However, my Rane Sl1 box isn't working for other programs like it should. A few things I'd like to note:

After installing and un-installing the drivers several times, I've only gotten my computer to list RANE SL1 as a sound card 1 time in my device manager (not even sure how I did it). The rest of the time, it's just listed as a USB device.

Also, I must unplug and plug back in my SL1 box each time I restart my computer for the wheels to show up in SSL.

Did a few youtube videos on both my issues and current status. These are the links below:
This is where I was Watchwww.youtube.com
This is where I am now Watchwww.youtube.com
Juste E 9:33 PM - 21 March, 2010
@SERATO:

In a nutshell, it worked. But, read on to see how I got it to work.

So, disabling the "do not install drivers automatically function" is the first thing I ever did to my computer and it did not work however, after a little fiddling around I had some interesting results. Last time I wrote on this blog I had disabled all but one port in Device Manager, and that is the port my computer saw SL1 on. I renabled all the USB ports, my camera and anything else related so that I could restart with a clean slate.

I then redisable the not to automatically install driver function, It was already disabled but, some times you have to do things multiple times in order to take effect, thanks Microsoft. Alright, so I plugged my device in and as usual, the device was recognized for a second (led came on ), it appeared under Device Manager for a second, then it disappeared. Shit! So much for disabling the auto function, right? Read on.

So, on my second attempt instead of immediately plugging my SL1, I fired up Serato first. Serato obviously did not see my device. I then plugged my SL1 in. Serato did not see my device again, but the led came on my device. I rushed to the update my drivers, my computer freaked out for a few seconds (yes freak out is a technical description) and VIOLA, SUCCESS! I had successfully forced Serato to open up wide!

I played with Serato for an hour or so and everything seemed fine. I'll keep you posted if any weird shit happens.

FYI, I am using Serato 2.0 Beta. I will attempt to install 1.9x and see how that goes.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:07 PM - 22 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

yes the vista drivers have been working for some totaly fine. but these newer duo core and i-chips have been having issues. plus 1.9.2 was made before win7.

but now serato have said they got win7 drivers and 2.0 has been made with win 7 in mind so should work better then.

most peeps have got win7 to work by making sure there win7 is upto date and all there drivers for there laptop upto date and updating there bios... then install serato and install vista drivers.

but for those who cant get to work will have to hold tight till 2.0

i just got a new laptop with win7 64bit. i got it all installed easy as abc... but i havnt tested it out live yet. so my fingers are crossed.......

well been using it live. wow works mega. much smoother than xp or vista. im impressed with win7. i was going to buy a macbook pro but with all the apple harddrive problems and lag on loading tracks and the wave form glitch i went win7 and dont have any of those problems... got my usb buffer at 5. and everything turned on in version 2.0 rc1 and its working fast and solid. (im on a duo core not the new i chips.)

so looking foward to seeing how fast and well it runs on ichips once 2.0 and win7 drivers come out.
Juste E 8:32 PM - 22 March, 2010
@Serato:

So, this force fix is not consistent and is more grief than it should be. I can still get Serato to come up but it is hit or miss and results are not guaranteed.
DJANGENYC 12:19 AM - 23 March, 2010
I finally got things running smoothly.

I was getting drop outs with all the tweaks mentioned and was trying different things.

On start up I went into system bios
Went into advanced
Went to USB
And turn off power share
Since then no more drop out
However If I put Wifi On I will get drop outs but besides that no problems so far.

On start up press F2 or F12 or whatever your system states is to get into the bios.

Hope this works out for you guys...good luck
DJ_Jimmy_J 3:56 AM - 23 March, 2010
So I just built a new custom lanbow computer with Windows 7 64-bit pro. Used this because I like it and works great with all other programs. I have not installed serato yet and was wondering what steps I should take to do so, since I don't have anything installed yet?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:25 PM - 24 March, 2010
Hey Juste E,

So is Windows still overwriting the Scratch Live drivers?
Juste E 11:37 PM - 24 March, 2010
It is, yes.

Here is my work around. I either reboot the system or Hibernate(then wake up) it which appears to clear out the USB drivers. Then I bring up Serato. I plug my SL1 up to a port, the led comes on, I fire up the update drivers and the driver update process hangs. Serato at this point opens up, but will not work. I then close serato, the drivers are finally recognized then I open up Serato and it works. This has been the only method that seems to work consistently.
spiker6750 11:38 PM - 24 March, 2010
i'm sure this has been answered, but ill ask anyway, when the stable version of 2.0 is finally released it will be compatible with the new i3,i5, and i7 chips, right?
Juste E 11:40 PM - 24 March, 2010
@Serato

Also, FYI, when Serato does work, it works well.
Dj Farhan 1:25 AM - 25 March, 2010
i am debating if i should make the switch from vista to 7
jroc453 6:03 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
i am debating if i should make the switch from vista to 7

So am I... I even have the Windows 7 disk in hand for whenever I grow the balls to do it. I just always run into the worst case scenario. I will be down to visit Serato on Saturday over at the Winter Music Conference. Hopefully someone there will give me some good news. I really want to install it but I am really freaked out. I can't afford to be down without my PC.... I don't have the " I " chips ether... so I'm sure I will be fine, but still not sure if I should wait for 2.0 and the drivers????
DJ Stoyvo 6:17 PM - 25 March, 2010
If worst comes to worst, duel boot it... have vista or xp on one partition and windows 7 on another. There are 2 sides to this:

1) if you're infected with a virus on one partition, chances of it running on the other is slim
2) you can keep your music in 1 location and have 2 different operating systems access it
3) if one OS doesn't work, use the other.
jroc453 6:22 PM - 25 March, 2010
I was told that it's not a good idea to do a duel boot with serato... Don't remember why or what it does??? Who knows.. I'm sure it's fine to though... But it sounds like it would be a good idea.
Dj Farhan 1:44 AM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I will be down to visit Serato on Saturday over at the Winter Music Conference. Hopefully someone there will give me some good news.

lemme know what u find out homie
jroc453 2:40 AM - 26 March, 2010
Oh...I will bro... I just can't wait for the pool party's..... the WMC is sick,,,
David aka "theSAINT" 5:48 PM - 30 March, 2010
Hi there everyone aspecially the team at Serato .... (respect for a awsom product)

I my Alienware M15x arrived 2 weeks ago.
Specs : Core i7, 4Gb Ramm, 1Gb display, Bluetooth, WLAN, SDcard reader etc etc etc.

After loading various programs like Photoshop etc i finally got arround to loading Serato for my SL1. (i did wanna load it first)
To start off, when i plugged in my SL1 it showed the " /!\ " and a (if i remember correct "Code 53" error (basiclly regarding the drivers certif).

I read the forums and tried various things from the forums and some of my own. (im in IT), i even went asfar as running an app that sets your OS in "TEST Mode" for software testing and applied the "TEST" certif. All with no luck.

I then carried on loading programs on my machine and thought ill keep checking the forums.

Later i tried again to reload Serato SL1. THIS TIME it came up with a "Code 10" error (ref to "the usb device needing power" i tried it with and with out power and then tried various others but again with no luck.

So i loaded 3 more programs, BUT they were older prog. (S. i tried the disable bluetooth, mouse and usb's etc)
++++ THEN I TRIED AGAIN ++++
and can you believe it ...... it loaded the RaneSL1 driver without having to unplug the usb mouse or disable ANY devices.

NOW BQS OF EVERYTHING THAT IVE DONE TO TRY AND RESOLVE THE PROBLEM and HOW IT STARTED WORKING LEADS ME TO THINK CHANCES ARE PRETTY GOOD THAT ITS NOT A PROBLEM WITH ALL THE OTHER HARDWARE DRIVERS AS EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING (disable this and unplug that....) TO ME ITS A SL1 DRIVER PROBLEM THAT HAPPENED TO START WORKING AFTER I INSTALL A OLDER PROGRAM THAT JUST HAPPENED TO LOAD WHAT MY SL1 DRIVER NEEDED eg. older java, .net 1 or .net2 etc

Please note that im not saying everyone must now run off and install the oldest program of "whatever" they can find and it will work, this happended to work for me, for now.... and im not saying the problem is fixed bqs to me the problem is only fixed if i can reformat and reinstall my machine AND at base install load Serato SL1 with hassels, bugs or tweaks needed. Im only trying to help by pointing into a dicection that i think the team at Serato / Rane needs to checkout.

Regards
DJ - David aka "theSAINT"
Juste E 7:25 PM - 30 March, 2010
Oh, so it might be an SL1 driver problem. Got it. Thanks. FYI, apparently Serato is very close to releasing Serato with drivers for Win 7. Wow an SL1 driver issue, who woulda thunk it.
Jauly 8:35 PM - 30 March, 2010
good, I really think its about time to release serato scratch live for windows 7. just bought a new laptop (because mine with xp on it broke) and it has windows 7. I have to gig with it soon.
DJANGENYC 9:17 PM - 30 March, 2010
I found the NVIDIA sound cards and software created big issues with Scratch Live. I would stay away from NVIDIA. ATI is a much better route.
Dj Rio 1 9:18 AM - 31 March, 2010
I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1750 with a Pentium Dual-Core T4400 2.20GHz with 4Gbs of Ram and Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit OS. I DJ about 3-4 nights a week and I have not had any problems with Windows 7. I have the older SL1 box and everything loaded up fine the first time. I didn't have to adjust anything.
jroc453 3:09 PM - 31 March, 2010
Good to hear... I was at the WMC and talked to Shaun about me and everyone else upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. He told me to go for it as it is much better then Vista. Also... 2.0 is right around the corner, so the 7 drivers will be included with the first release. I still don't have the balls to make the switch and do a clean install of windows 7. I don't know why... but I think I will just wait for 2.0. I use this every week for $$$ and can't afford to be down. I would think that 2.0 will be released in the next few weeks.
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:10 PM - 31 March, 2010
im sure 2.0 will be out very soon. as they have been putting off less important bugs for the next release. its on RC3 at the mo.
jroc453 5:59 PM - 31 March, 2010
Well... I'm fine with them taking their time with it. I would hate to see them release it with bugs...
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:31 PM - 31 March, 2010
you always get some bugs, like there is in 1.9.2 there just not massiv bugs or show stoppers. im using RC3 2.0 and its fine for me, i havnt had any problems. im also on windows 7. and it runs mega smooth!
jroc453 7:43 PM - 31 March, 2010
But r you using it out?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:45 AM - 1 April, 2010
Hey Juste E,

I've had an idea (which may or may not be a good thing ;) - have you checked to see if there is an IRQ conflict with the SL 1 and another piece of hardware? This could be why the driver is constantly being overwritten. There's an article here on idenitifying IRQ conflicts -> www.helpwithpcs.com, please let me know if that's of any help.
charlee1985 9:36 AM - 8 April, 2010
SL 2.0 released! this means the end of our Win 7 probs? will see
jroc453 6:00 PM - 8 April, 2010
Quote:
SL 2.0 released! this means the end of our Win 7 probs? will see

Doesn't look that way :-( Windows 7 is still not "officially supported" by Serato. I really thought it was going to be.....
charlee1985 12:58 AM - 9 April, 2010
well thats wot we beein told here?
jroc453 1:56 AM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:
well thats wot we beein told here?

I know I know.... Shaun said it wasn't but that was before I showed him that the drivers are there... :-)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:24 AM - 9 April, 2010
Hey guys.

Scratch Live 2.0 now has official Windows 7 support (and drivers).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:29 AM - 9 April, 2010
Hi all,

As Matt said, Scratch Live 2.0 now has Windows 7 support and drivers - hooray!

As such I will close this thread for now. If anyone still has an issue can you please start a new help thread for your individual issues.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and hard work in this thread, it's much appreciated :)