DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Subwoofer Help

DJDeluchi 5:38 AM - 5 January, 2010
Looking to get some subwoofers of 1 powerful sub i know i want an active sub and have a high budget to play with just wondering what wattage i should go for i know this is a stupid question but im only ever gonna do gigs that are about 200 people max when i do mobile gigs i see a few subs i like they run at (131 DB) i know this is loud but just wanted to know if a 1200 watt sub was over-kill for what i needed gig wise?

my tops are EV sx300's there good done a few smaller partys but need more bass for wedding season.

any help would be appreciated and i have already googled this just wanted some info from the people that are out there doing this already

cheers dj deluchi
Tunecrew 6:15 AM - 5 January, 2010
define "high budget"

do u want a self powered unit?

what kind of music do you play?

how much size/weight can you transport?

etc
Maskrider 6:40 AM - 5 January, 2010
This has been discussed beforetry using the search option.
DJDeluchi 7:42 AM - 5 January, 2010
About £1500 which is about $2400

and yes i would like a active sub as explained

i play everything wen i play mobile as i do all types of partys

and weight isnt an issue

what i would mainly like feedback on is what watt's power would be suitable for a gig with about 200 max maybe 250
DJDeluchi 7:42 AM - 5 January, 2010
and i tried searching could find anything of relevance to what i was asking regarding wattage
skinnyguy 8:44 AM - 5 January, 2010
kv2
skinnyguy 8:44 AM - 5 January, 2010
kv2 ex 2.5
DJ GaFFle 3:18 PM - 5 January, 2010
Quote:
kv2 ex 2.5

mega heavy and mega expensive... here's a pair I caught on Ebay though: cgi.ebay.co.uk

Looks like they're in Europe too.
DJYoshi 4:29 PM - 5 January, 2010
I'd use Yorkville Elite if y ou're looking for sound, power, clarity and ease of use. I love their sh**!
DJDeluchi 5:12 PM - 5 January, 2010
i have my eye on the stuff i want but im still not getting the answers im looking for i still want to know how many watts of bass will be enough for my requirements as i dont wanna over kill it
latindj 6:55 PM - 5 January, 2010
for 200 or 250 people, you would be fine with 1 sub rated above 500w continuous. I use a JBL PRX 718s for events your size and it does a fantastic job. It's rated at 700w, is very lightweight which is perfect for mobiles.
skinnyguy 7:12 PM - 5 January, 2010
you said price and weight wasn't an issue so i mentioned the kv2. i use a pair of the smaller ones (ex 2.2) and my mobile gigs are about the same capacity as yours.
DJDeluchi 11:07 PM - 5 January, 2010
Quote:
for 200 or 250 people, you would be fine with 1 sub rated above 500w continuous. I use a JBL PRX 718s for events your size and it does a fantastic job. It's rated at 700w, is very lightweight which is perfect for mobiles.

Thank you for the help man i dont mind wat i spend but dont wanna over kill it if i can use the money else where and im going to
pdidy 3:48 AM - 6 January, 2010
i regularly play gigs 200-250 people,hip hop,R&B, reggae.......ages 16 to 65 and i use 2 yorkville LS800p ($1200 each). they will do the job an will work well with your tops.

Kv2 2.5 is about 136db at $2500 each new, an can handle 200 people with your tops.

you cant go wrong with either choice.

if u play for young people 16 to 40 i think u need 1500watts rms (continuous).

the 1500w continuous only works with good powered speakers like jbl,qsc,kv2,yorkville.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:03 AM - 6 January, 2010
my first choice would be the KV2 EX 2.2 over the 2.5 due to weight and size as well as power requirements.

The LSP800p is also nice, can't go wrong there but its big and heavy.
pdidy 5:57 AM - 6 January, 2010
Quote:
i have my eye on the stuff i want but im still not getting the answers im looking for i still want to know how many watts of bass will be enough for my requirements as i dont wanna over kill it

as most of the djs here already no, u CAN NOT buy a good powered sub for dj use based on watts alone. this is why everyone is giving u specific bands to buy. it would be like buying a car based only on how fast it can go. some cheap cars will go real fast then break down just like most cheaper speakers will. base your choice on a proven quality subs, not wattage.

@ DJ Dub Cowboy the kv2 2.2 ($1800 each)is an excellent choice but he will need 2 an that will go far over his $2400 budget.
Kenny Q 6:13 PM - 7 January, 2010
I have a pair of QSC HPR 18" Subs.
I must be going deaf because I still don't think I have enough bass.
DJDeluchi 7:05 PM - 7 January, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

as most of the djs here already no, u CAN NOT buy a good powered sub for dj use based on watts alone. this is why everyone is giving u specific bands to buy. it would be like buying a car based only on how fast it can go. some cheap cars will go real fast then break down just like most cheaper speakers will. base your choice on a proven quality subs, not wattage.

@ DJ Dub Cowboy the kv2 2.2 ($1800 each)is an excellent choice but he will need 2 an that will go far over his $2400 budget.

i understand this but i was just looking on an average that some would recommend

im going for the kv 2.5 that has been discussed i think had a listen to one sday and was more than impressed