DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Jazzy Jeff breaks it down...

Detroitbootybass 7:22 PM - 9 January, 2005
If video killed the radio star, pop radio killed the DJ. At least that's the thinking of Philadelphia turntable legend DJ Jazzy Jeff.

"You're a train conductor," he said this week while taking a break from the studio. "It's your job to take people on a ride. ... It blows my mind how radio stations play 10 or 15 records over and over and over again. They make people think there's no other new music out there."

Sure, there are people on the radio plugging music. But actually making music by weaving carefully selected tracks with samples and break beats? Not happening. And hip-hop is weaker because of it, Jazzy Jeff said.

As that other guy behind the early hip-hop hits "Summertime" and "Parents Just Don't Understand," this mixmaster skipped the Hollywood stardom of former partner Will Smith. Instead, Jazzy Jeff has become an independent music soldier. His determination to include inconspicuous tracks in his DJ sets and recorded mixes - boosted in part by his production company, A Touch of Jazz - has let Jazzy Jeff maintain his standing as one of hip-hop's distinctive turntablists.

Expect the DJ to wrap a music history lesson around his appearance tonight at The Safari, 1037 Broadway. And even though that fast-growing party at Serengeti Nightclub has ties to Denver's pop radio scene - promoters include KS 107.5 personalities - Jazzy Jeff wants little to do with Billboard's brand of Top 40 pop-hop.

The DJ follows up with a second appearance Saturday at Vinyl, 1082 Broadway.

"It used to be about a DJ playing a record that you haven't heard in years," said the entertainer born Jeff Townes, 39. "You might play an old rock record or an old Michael Jackson record, and everybody would sing along because they hadn't heard it in so long.

"My issue is not with the records they play (on the radio), it's with the records they don't play."

DJ Jazzy Jeff was schooled in hip- hop's roots. After making music inroads in 1986, one career high included winning a spot on the infamous mid-'80s "Raising Hell" tour with Run-D.M.C., Eric B. & Rakim, LL Cool J, EPMD and Public Enemy.

Jazzy Jeff put his approach to work on two CD projects in 2004. "Hip Hop Forever II" is a double-disc compilation about which Entertainment Weekly wrote "DJ Jazzy Jeff gets all misty eyed." The mix draws on lesser- known and oft-forgotten tracks by the likes of Raekwon and Smif-n-Wessun. Some compilations strive for collectors by releasing multiple albums in a short period, but this is only the second installment of a coveted, limited-edition collection first engineered in 1998 by dj Kenny 'Dope' Gonzalez of 'Masters At Work'. That now sells for about $70 on amazon.com

Jazzy Jeff's other 2004 release, "Soul Heaven Presents Jazzy Jeff in the House," showcases a more sensual side. Also a two-disc set, this mix uses classic soul by The Temptations and Barry White as a launching pad for a house music adventure that samples artists as varied as Nina Simone and the heady New Jersey deep house dj Kerri Chandler. If either CD is an indication of the sound Jazzy Jeff has been dropping in hot spots around the globe recently, the crowds at The Safari and Vinyl are in for a treat.

"DJing is the backbone of everything I do," said Jazzy Jeff, whose other coups include production credits on the classic "Who Is Jill Scott?"

"What better opportunity do you have to test-market your stuff or get a feel for a pulse of the people (than playing a club)," he said.

Despite buoyant write-ups of recent gigs at such celebrated venues as London's Jazz Café, Jazzy Jeff said he rarely accepts invitations to play New Year's Eve parties. Unless, that is, someone telephones from the Mile High City.

"Every time I've played The Church it's been packed with people," he said. "The crowd is very knowledgeable about music. ... If I start playing radio stuff, people actually get mad."

----------------------------------------------------------------
:) Jazzy Jeff rocks... :)
Thebasement 8:21 PM - 9 January, 2005
I love Jezzy Jeff. He is wicked and he is old school. Thats putting stright to the people. Radio music sucks but it whats make the djs there man. I hate playing the club hits like more the true music R&b and hiphop not these tracks like 50 Jadkiss crapp. There is no creative nature to it at all?
Zion-Prayz 1:04 AM - 13 January, 2005
He is definitely one of the best all-around DJs out there.
DJTJ 4:50 AM - 13 January, 2005
jeff is the king, hands down!
Iorek 12:00 AM - 15 January, 2005
Be sure to come on down to Philly January 22nd 2005 to Shampoo nightclub at 7th and Willow streets to celebrate his 40th b-day.

Check it ouuuut! www.squarebiz.org
DJ Revenge! 1:23 AM - 15 January, 2005
Quote:
"The crowd is very knowledgeable about music. ... If I start playing radio stuff, people actually get mad."

I wish it were like that in Los Angeles... but then again i guess it depends on where you go...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 4:34 AM - 15 January, 2005
Quote:
Be sure to come on down to Philly January 22nd 2005 to Shampoo nightclub at 7th and Willow streets to celebrate his 40th b-day.

Check it ouuuut! www.squarebiz.org

If anyone goes along, it would be great to get some photos (especially of him using Scratch LIVE!!!)
Detroitbootybass 5:22 PM - 15 January, 2005
Jeff just played in Detroit this week... I didn't go (had to watch my son). Some people were saying that he was using FS2... which I doubt. I have requested pics and, if I can, will post them for all to see.
djpetey 1:09 AM - 16 January, 2005
he was definetly using serato scratch in denver on new years eve
feniks 4:18 AM - 16 January, 2005
here's a few on him yesterday evening (1/14) at PURE in Lost Wages (Las Vegas)...

vegas.napkinnights.com

vegas.napkinnights.com

vegas.napkinnights.com

vegas.napkinnights.com
feniks 4:24 PM - 16 January, 2005
...and he is definitely using SSL as you can see in the pics...
Revolutionary 8:25 PM - 16 January, 2005
Maybe he is just using the control records ;)

Just kidding...
feniks 3:26 AM - 17 January, 2005
he was just using the control records to scratch the "bleep" noise.
feniks 3:27 AM - 17 January, 2005
...and to transform.
Revolutionary 4:46 AM - 17 January, 2005
Exactly ;)