DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Freessssshhhhhh

Sexor 3:03 AM - 21 September, 2006
Who in here hasn't scratched the classic "Freeesshhhh" sound? You know, the one and only. It has appeared everywhere, on all scratch records and stuff, and I swear, there are some people who have probably never scratched any other sound.

But where the hell does it come from? A song? If so, what song, and why is it such a scratch "anthem"?
double B 3:17 AM - 21 September, 2006
its from an old 70s song i forgot which one though
DJ Unique 3:23 AM - 21 September, 2006
Fab 5 Freddy - Change The Beat
Celluloid Records 0156
released 1982
DJJOHNNYM 3:44 AM - 21 September, 2006
That same Fab 5 Freddy - Change The Beat song not only has the "Fresh" piece that was brought to the public masses by Grandmixer DST in Rockit, but also included the "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH" sound that everyone chirps to death.

I think the first DJ I heard rock that part first was Mix Master Ice from UTFO. I actually thought it was a sample on "Roxanne Roxanne" until I actually SAW him do it in person.
Sexor 4:19 AM - 21 September, 2006
Wow! I'm gonna try to find that song.

It's so funny, somebody says "fresh" in a funny way on a record, and consequentially, thousands of people have been scratching that one word for 25 years.

Now I know where it's from, but that doesn't answer why on earth it has become such a popular sound to scratch. It's almost the "standard" scratch sound. Why? oh why this particular sound? There is definately something about it....
Kool DJ Sheak One 5:07 AM - 21 September, 2006
Because there are like 5 parts to the word in different frequencies that can all be freaked. Its kind of a standard that your scratching skill can be judged.
Monk-A 7:41 AM - 21 September, 2006
to be honest, the "aaaaaaaahhhhh" is scratched much more then the "fresh"

It's form the end of the record..... the beats plodding along and then it's just beeps like a tellephone call and the Vocoded vocie goes "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, that stuff is really fresh!"

As Kool DJ Sheak said both the "aaaah & Fresh" have quick attacks, long sustains and gentle releases which make them perfect for scratching, you can use the quick attacks for doing things like chirps and stabs, the sustain for flares and transforms etc.... etc...

It's just a standard as you can judge how good people are as it' a base noise that sets a level playing field fo everyone... you can tell what they are doing and how good they are because everyone knows what the sound is and how it should sound.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:21 AM - 21 September, 2006
Quote:
Fab 5 Freddy - Change The Beat
Celluloid Records 0156
released 1982

still have tha cover jacket, but somehow i lost tha actual record (MIA 1982). go figure
DJ Nevoc 3:37 PM - 21 September, 2006
haha good one Mike
society 4:13 PM - 21 September, 2006
I think those sounds have also become standards because they've been around for so long. DJs have been using them for almost as long as scratching has been around and habits are hard to break.

Plus it doesn't hurt that DST scratched it on "Rockit."
Thundercat 9:18 PM - 21 September, 2006
Quote:
still have tha cover jacket, but somehow i lost tha actual record (MIA 1982). go figure

Well, my jacket is MIA. Someone tried to steal it and got jipped. I will intentionally swap jackets w/ wack shit if there is something I REALLY don't want stolen :)