Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

possible ssl box emergency?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djpetey 9:24 AM - 6 January, 2005
after the club tonight, i dropped my ssl box in the snow, picked it up real quick and brushed everything off..... there was a good amount of snow packed in the rca side of the box though. i cleaned it all out and dried it out.... i have a big weekend coming up the next three nights and i cant afford to have the box seize up and stop working during any of them....especially tomorrow night (thursday).... i know rane is known for stability, but what are the odds of this box having issues? any official word from rane or serato would be greatly appreciated.....
nobspangle 12:00 PM - 6 January, 2005
most electrical equipment is fine after an encounter with liquid providing
1. There was no power to the device whilst wet
2. The liquid contained no sugar
3. The device was dried out quickly and not left with water sitting inside it.
djpetey 12:30 PM - 6 January, 2005
it was definetly not plugged in during.... and all the snow was cleared off of it within a minute or two....then it was left to dry....so you think i should be ok?
bartaug 12:33 PM - 6 January, 2005
I think it should be ok. The box is build very solid, the only way fluid could have entered is through the RCA's. You could open it up to see if there are residues, but that's more for long time stability (corrosion).
Detroitbootybass 6:12 PM - 6 January, 2005
Use a hairdryer...
bartaug 6:28 PM - 6 January, 2005
Quote:
Use a hairdryer...

Don't think that's a good idea. Putting it in the microwave is also no option :)
Just let it dry...
Detroitbootybass 6:32 PM - 6 January, 2005
Why would using a hairdryer not be a 'good idea'?
bartaug 6:37 PM - 6 January, 2005
You could make parts to hot, for example melt insulation from wires and make them short or loosen thermal glue.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:41 PM - 6 January, 2005
Quote:
after the club tonight, i dropped my ssl box in the snow, picked it up real quick and brushed everything off..... there was a good amount of snow packed in the rca side of the box though. i cleaned it all out and dried it out.... i have a big weekend coming up the next three nights and i cant afford to have the box seize up and stop working during any of them....especially tomorrow night (thursday).... i know rane is known for stability, but what are the odds of this box having issues? any official word from rane or serato would be greatly appreciated.....

Your SSL interface should be fine. Like nobspangle said, water doesn't often hurt electronic gear if completely powered down at the time of exposure. I suggest plugging it in at home and playing around with it for a few seconds/minutes/hours to be certain you're good to go.
Detroitbootybass 7:45 PM - 6 January, 2005
Quote:
You could make parts to hot, for example melt insulation from wires and make them short or loosen thermal glue.

Oh, see, I wasn't thinking of holding a hairdryer right up against the unit (nor of using a 'hot' setting). My thought was more like a fan... increase the airflow to speed the drying process. Guess we were thinking of two different things...

:)
SpinThis! 8:35 PM - 6 January, 2005
should have specified a hairdryer on low heat... nitpickers. ;)
Revolutionary 9:13 PM - 6 January, 2005
The good old fashioned way is often the best ;)
Detroitbootybass 9:22 PM - 6 January, 2005
Quote:
The good old fashioned way is often the best ;)

Very true, but time was an issue...
Revolutionary 9:25 PM - 6 January, 2005
Yeah, it really depends on the case.
bartaug 9:26 PM - 6 January, 2005
It did happen that people try to dry their dog in the microwave :-)
Revolutionary 9:27 PM - 6 January, 2005
Horrible...Not the good old fashioned way though and that's good :)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:51 PM - 6 January, 2005
Quote:

Poor dogs :(

If only those people had seen Gremlins.
Detroitbootybass 9:55 PM - 6 January, 2005
Quote:
Quote:

Poor dogs :(

If only those people had seen Gremlins.

Good god... I haven't even thought of that movie in over a decade!

LOL
Revolutionary 10:00 PM - 6 January, 2005
Where's Gizmo when you need him? ;)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:01 PM - 6 January, 2005
I always seem to see it around Christmas, but it really doesn't seem like a holiday feel good movie to me. Well, I guess the movie does take place during Christmas, but still, exploding Gremlins in the microwave and egg nog are not a good mix ;)
Revolutionary 10:05 PM - 6 January, 2005
I remember having this Gremlin puppet when I was younger. Followed me around all the time. Even talked ;)

Totally agree with you, Shaun. Not a holiday feel good movie at all.
djpetey 11:31 PM - 6 January, 2005
cool.... i played with it for a while today at home and things look fine..... thanks for the responses people.....
Detroitbootybass 12:06 AM - 7 January, 2005
djpetey - Glad that the 'crisis' was averted. Good luck this weekend!

Shaun - The only movie I seem to see around x-mas is 'A Christmas Story'...
Rane, Support
Shaun W 12:58 AM - 7 January, 2005
That' no suprise lol. It's played on TBS 24 hours a day starting at 8pm Dec 24 until the end of Christmas day...yikes...I think I watched it three or four times Christmas day :) It was definitely a Ralphie Parker overdose ;)
StoneReign 2:54 AM - 7 January, 2005
I had a keyboard I dumped water on once. I put it in a vaccum chamber over night. All the water just evaporated right off. If had power on it while it got wet though, so it didnt work afterward really well.

anyway, if you have a vaccum chamber handy, it works.
dj synystr 8:51 AM - 7 January, 2005
LOL a vacume chamber handy, lol. sure its right behind my isotope transducing coupler.
djpetey 1:36 PM - 7 January, 2005
a vaccum chamber handy? i actually learned that there isnt even a blow dryer in my house..... im just joking.... i appreciate any advice.... i used the dried out ssl box for 3 hours during the day and again for a 5 hour set last night with no issues.... so, (knock on wood) it looks like everything is cool.... thanks again for everyones help