Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

I lost all my music...I need help PLEASE!!!

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
dja_one 9:50 AM - 15 September, 2006
Ok ya'll excuse the long depressing post but I am so devestated right now...

Last Thursday I got the great idea of cleaning up my laptop(since it would run a little sluggish at times because it was almost full...only an 80GB hard drive) and desktop. To make each unit run better, cleaner and more make them more organized. Well I had just backed up my music on my Lacie 250GB powered External hard drive and went to work. Everything went smooth after a day and a half of formating and reloading software...I had both computers exactly configured how I wanted them (my laptop dedicated to just my music stuff, wireless networking and all). Well I had a gig in Seoul, South Korea and didn't really have the time to transfer 72GB of mp3's (I was running late already). So I went with the laptop and using a powered external hard drive option (I wanted to see how scratch live ran with this configuration anyway...note: it ran very well).

Well, Saturday came and I had two gigs one early night and late night two different locations so...of course I just ran and wasn't worried about lossing my music. I ran it the sameway and loved that I didn't have any glitches or slow song load ups and was saying I should keep it like this!

This is were it gets tricky. Sunday came and I was tellin' my homeboy that I needed to go to thw store to get another hard drive to back up this hard drive because this is how I was going to keep my music seperated. But of course I got distracted and decided to work on my weekly mixshow. So I pulled out the laptop and got all connected (I only have one serato unit and my desktop only has 1.1 USB...so it runs like ass on my desktop). I went to grab my hard drive to hook it up to my laptop and it slipped out of my hand and fell maybe 2 1/2 - 3 feet. Nothing major so I thought. When I hooked it up...my laptop wouldn't/couldn't read it and the same for my desktop. My heart sank immediately. Then I noticed the motor ran extremely funny.

Well...I stayed cool and just called the hard drive company to see what could be done and if there was anything they could do. Sure enough there was...it's called Data Restoration. It is a very expensive process (in my case...if successful costing between $500-$2800 and $200 if not successful) but this was 7 yrs of downloading, recording, and converting music...my lively hood. So I sent it off on Monday thinking the best.

I was just informed that it was unrestorable because two ball bearings from the motor that broke in the hard drive fell and got wedged in the absolute most perfect/unperfect postion. This made it either damned if they do...damned if they don't. Let me explain something to you guys... This is exactly how I felt when I got divorced. If you do it on a descent size scale, this becomes your life and kind of who you are. I have been doing this for 14 years and now it is gone. I am Adrain but I am DJ A-O.N.E. just as much. So imagine laying and sleeping and taking care of and being taken care of by the same woman for 14 yrs and then she is gone for good never to comeback all because you made a slight mistake that hit her emotionally in the most perfect/unperfect place. A huge piece of you is gone...just like that.

But this is why I am contacting you guys...(sort of a DJ call). I am willing to pay for a copy of a qualty hard drive stocked with with kind of what I had or whatever is close. DJ SIZZAHANDZ and DJ Exel if you could please check your servers to see and find it in your hearts to atleast let me get the download links to the music I have purchased from the sites. I am a urban music DJ with a little Pop and Reggae. I had an exstensive collection of....

Old School Soul and R&B 70', 80's. and early 90's(the classics like To be real, Saturday Love, Candy, Before I let go, Guy, Keith sweat and stuff like that) appx 3GB

Old School Hip Hop 80's early 90's (The classics. If you grew up around that era...you know exactly what I am talking about...Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, Eric B. and Rakim, Poor Righteous Teachers, RunDMC, ATCG, De La Soul, Salt N. Peppa, MC Lyte, Big Daddy Kane, BDP, Chubb Rock and etc...) appx 6GB

Promo Onlys...Urban Radio July 95 - Sept 06

Reggae...( was just starting to build it up pretty good. I had the classics like Ring the alarm, Bam Bam, Flexx, Murder She Wrote and etc... but I was in the process of actually building it up pretty good beyond that. This one really hurt because I was starting to become pretty knowledgable)

I had every Funkymix from 35 - 97

I had quite a few party breaks that I had built up. Alot of the late 90's and early 2000's AV8 Catalogue and a lot of the recent ones that you have recently been able to but online.

My pop library wasn't that impressive but I had all the the songs that everybody would know from the 80's, 90's and 2000's. Stuff like Holla back girl, Hey Mickey, and stuff like that.)

I had an extremely big R&B and South library. My biggest folders of them all hands down. I just spent 4 yrs DJin' in southern GA and nothern FL so you can imagine the south folder 18-20 GB's easy... and the R&B folder ranging from the 90's-today 25-28 GB's easy!!!

I ended up having like 15GB of Techno and House but I don't do that format so I am not to worried about it.

If you are willing to help me please contact me ASAP...I need your help. I am dead serious...I am willing to purchase or if you just want to help me out like I would any of you let me know and I will work something out with you.

--DJ A-O.N.E.
nik39 10:05 AM - 15 September, 2006
I really feel sorry for you about the harddrive, but this is not the right place to ask for a harddrive with music on it.
Monk-A 11:36 AM - 15 September, 2006
shit thats bad news mate... hope you get to rebuild your collection.
Knockz 1:31 PM - 15 September, 2006
I feel for you real real bad. The other day I was rebuilding my system and backed up about 80 gig to one drive. When I plugged the drive in afterwards the operating system would not see it. My heart dropped. My girl even realized not to even come close to me for the night.

The next day I tried a partition recovery tool and found out that the whole partition was still there but the partition table was messed up. It fixed it .. I got everything back and since then been doing regular backups of all my data.

This is a case of just bad timing though.

Good luck with your quest to get everything back. Its gonna be a lot of hard work.
SpinThis! 3:09 PM - 15 September, 2006
My deepest condolences for your collection... that's not as bad as bad as a fire but I think this one could have been prevented if you weren't rushed.

Hard drives are the most likely and first component to fail, especially if they're mistreated in any way. It's too bad you had to learn that one the hard way, especially after 7 years of collecting.

I hope this shows more people to backup their hard work and not sleep on it. Burn DVDs; get extra hard drives; whatever it takes.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:38 PM - 15 September, 2006
Sorry about your HD but nik39 is right in saying this isn't the place to ask for replacement tracks.
dja_one 10:34 PM - 15 September, 2006
Quote:
Sorry about your HD but nik39 is right in saying this isn't the place to ask for replacement tracks.

ok... thanks.
DJ Unique 5:00 AM - 16 September, 2006
Damn that sucks....
That happened to me once. I was able to recover everything with Nucleus Kernel for FAT & NTFS. I was only worried about all the time lost ripping my CDs.