Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

RCA or 1/4 inch?

djfrancov 5:41 PM - 10 December, 2009
las week at a gig i had an other friend with the same setup....everything at 12 o'clock....his outputs were 150% louder than mine. So i was wondering ...what are u guys using for cable.
kraal 6:16 PM - 10 December, 2009
i actually started using the rca's to my four channel mixed and it seems to be louder than when i was using the 1/4 inches to my mixer.....
or rather should i say seems it could get louder
my master is at 3 oclock and all volume is controlled with the mixer
casket hands 6:37 PM - 10 December, 2009
He didn't have the software overdrive on by any chance did he?
DJdaveZ 7:08 PM - 10 December, 2009
odd, but i use rca out into 1/4 inch adapters into my analog mixer... i should just pick up some 1/4 inch cables... but thats more money than stuff i already own... and a trip to the store.. lol.
KLH 7:31 PM - 10 December, 2009
Isn't RCA always consumer level -10db where 1/4" can be -10db or +4db?

-KLH
DJdaveZ 7:53 PM - 10 December, 2009
who knows what the actual level is though... vestax has no info on it in the manual or their page and nor does serato...

can we get someone from serato to let us know about this before we continue speculation....
djfrancov 9:54 PM - 10 December, 2009
yes...couse i don't wanna push my amps more that I need to. If I can lower my amp and get a Louder signal from 1/4 inch..thats the way to go. And also..the quality of the cables matters also. I got some cheap 1/4 inch and it didn't make a difference. Serato more info please..this little things help our gear las longer..
I1Kirm 10:16 AM - 11 December, 2009
Both outputs on VCI give the exact same signal at the exact same level. The 1/4'' plugs are unbalanced.
As for the levels and the argument that Vestax should give more info, I just checked 4 Pioneer manual for CDJs and none gives the levels.
chims 2:39 PM - 11 December, 2009
I noticed that 1/4in cables provide better (louder) output than RCA's too and another friend (electrical nerd) suggested to use the 1/4in cables too. As far as measuring it, it was just by ear and listening on my 10" monitors.
kraal 3:25 PM - 11 December, 2009
maybe i am just getting better responce based on cables
I1Kirm 3:30 PM - 11 December, 2009
+1
Using cables of equal quality will result to same sound.
The point is the double output serves a purpose. If you want to go directly to your powered speakers, then use the 1/4'' as most will accept 1/4" input (otherwise you can easily convert to XLR). If you prefer going through a DJ mixer use the RCAs as all DJ mixers support it.
djfrancov 5:40 PM - 11 December, 2009
true..my power speakers come with mixer and amp in one...the yamahas.