Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

buzzing noise

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
lenny stein 8:11 PM - 24 November, 2009
Product: itch
Version: 1.3
Hardware: vestax-vci-300
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.1
---

when I run a line out of my vci 300 directly to a powered speaker I have a buzzing noise - it is less noticeable when I used an unbalenced cabel but still there - If I go from the vci 300 to a rane mp44 or allen and heath zone 92 and then into the same speakers there is no buzz. What can I do to go direct and not get a buzz?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:28 PM - 24 November, 2009
Hi lenny stein.

Sounds like you may be getting a ground loop with that connection. Does the amp have a grounding port on it (similar to a DJ mixer)?

I'd also make sure the cables you use are not near any power strips, power plugs, and try to keep the placement of the cable as far away from any amps or speakers as your setup allows.

Also try it on another power point in your house/venue. The wiring may be faulty.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:15 PM - 24 November, 2009
btw. if you didn't read casket hand's suggestion in your other post, make sure you mute the mic and aux input too.
lenny stein 10:13 PM - 25 November, 2009
Hello Matt,
I moved the set-up away from a power strip and this did decrease the hum to some degree - I believe the VCI 300 does not have a mute button for the aux in (through) and mic ? but I did turn these knobs down as well - I am using good quality cables and the powered speaker I am going into is very good as well - there is a polarity switch on it ( made no difference) but no grounding port - Are the quater inch main outs on the VCI 300 balanced? - I seem to get much less noise coming out of the VCI with an unbalanced (RCA) cable - Again I don't seem to have a problem when I jump the VCI 300 to a larger mixing board ( rane mp44 or AH zone 92, but obviously, I'd rather not to take extra gear with me for small applications
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:37 PM - 25 November, 2009
Can you select the MIC/AUX panel and mute - as shown in the attached picture.
11:37 PM, 25 Nov 2009
Matt-C attached a file: mute.JPG
View· Permalink
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:33 PM - 26 November, 2009
Quote:
HAre the quater inch main outs on the VCI 300 balanced? - I seem to get much less noise coming out of the VCI with an unbalanced (RCA) cable

No, the VCI-300 outs aren't balanced, so use unbalanced cables when testing.
Deejay Dumb Bii 1:43 PM - 2 December, 2009
Make sure you wiggle the powered speaker power plug on the outlet socket side to ensure it has grounding to the ground plug (the 3rd prong). Swap the power cords if you can also (like borrow a plug from your desktop computer) See if it works.
Ian Williams 2:19 PM - 2 December, 2009
possibly slightly off topic, but while we're talking about the VCI's outputs....

Are the 1/4 inch jacks at the same level as the phono's/RCA's?

I'm just wondering if i'll get a hotter signal by using the jacks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:05 AM - 3 December, 2009
The outputs are both the same level.