Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Won't load itunes Library and crashes when trying to shut itch down

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
SimonVester 5:44 PM - 23 November, 2009
Product: itch
Version: 1.1
Hardware: vestax-vci-300
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.1
---

Itch can't seem to load the itunes library, and yes I have enabled the "show itunes library". I have tryed reinstalling both itunes and itch, but nothing helped. I am using os x snow leopard version 10.6.2, on a macbook pro
Processor 2,53
Memory: 4 gb

Simon
SimonVester 5:46 PM - 23 November, 2009
and i am not using an external drive. Itch has worked fine in snow leopard, it just suddenly didn't work.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 8:07 PM - 23 November, 2009
Dear: Simon

It could be Snow,But Let me get a Serato Rep to help us out on this one.Please bare with me.

Thank you,
Carl
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:00 PM - 26 November, 2009
Hey Simon,

Do you get an error message in ITCH when the iTunes library fails to load? Have you added any tracks to your iTunes library between the time it used to work and to when it stopped working? Also which version of iTunes are you running?
SimonVester 8:09 AM - 27 November, 2009
Quote:

Do you get an error message in ITCH when the iTunes library fails to load?

No I didn't
Quote:
Have you added any tracks to your iTunes library between the time it used to work and to when it stopped working?

eh, yes?
Quote:
Also which version of iTunes are you running?

The latest.
Ian Williams 12:37 PM - 28 November, 2009
Hi guys.

I've got exactly the same problem,

Got to the gig last night to find no itunes library in itch. Luckily i carry two lappy's, so the back up MacBook (2 Ghz 10.5.8) came to the rescue.

Do we have a solution? I'm working tonight & I'd like to use my faster machine.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:40 AM - 1 December, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Have you added any tracks to your iTunes library between the time it used to work and to when it stopped working?

eh, yes?

Ok, do you know if any of these recently added files have any accented or foreign characters (eg. é,ó,ø,å,ç) in them at all?
SimonVester 9:09 AM - 3 December, 2009
yes one song have ø in it. So thats why itch freezes when i shut it down, why i cant see the itunes library and why i cant find my recorded sets?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:39 AM - 7 December, 2009
Errr no those sound like 3 unrelated issues. The first thing I would suggest is to try renaming the song with the ø in it and see if your iTunes library will then load in ITCH.

In regards to your other issues can you please explain in a bit more detail what is happening? Thanks :)
SimonVester 12:19 PM - 7 December, 2009
okay

Itch starts fine, but I can't se my itunes library at all! I can find the songs in my HD via itch, but no itunes library. Also a I can't seem to find my recorded dj-sets either.
If I try to play songs in itch it tends to lack, both sound and image, especially if i play a song on deck a, and use the jog wheel on deck b. If i record something it cant save it. When I try to shut itch down it freezes!
I have tryed to install the 1,5 beta, but it had the same problems!
Ian Williams 3:42 PM - 7 December, 2009
So does anybody know of any tools/scripts that can find accented characters?

Also, are we talking about tags or file names or both?
satellitejoe 5:09 PM - 7 December, 2009
same problem guys....itch starts, but i can't see my itunes library.....try to shut it down and itch freezes........hmmmm what's up?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:04 AM - 8 December, 2009
Alright, let's try and work through these one by one :)
Quote:
Itch starts fine, but I can't se my itunes library at all! I can find the songs in my HD via itch, but no itunes library.

Did you try renaming the song with the "ø" in it? Ensure that you rename the file and edit the ID3 tag. This should then allow ITCH to open your iTunes library.

Quote:
Also a I can't seem to find my recorded dj-sets either.

If you enter a name and save your set you can find your recordings in the Music -> Serato -> Recording folder. If you aren't saving them they will be in the Music -> Serato -> Recording temp folder, although note that only the most recent recording will be in here as any previous unsaved recordings are overwritten.

Quote:
If i record something it cant save it.

Does ITCH give you an error message if you try to save? How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

Quote:
If I try to play songs in itch it tends to lack, both sound and image, especially if i play a song on deck a, and use the jog wheel on deck b.

Have you analyzed all your files? Also take a look at this article as it provides some optimisation tips to help ITCH perform better -> www.serato.com (click link)

Quote:
When I try to shut itch down it freezes!

This is possibly due to a corrupt crate or database V2 file. Do you have any crates?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:06 AM - 8 December, 2009
Hey Ian,

Quote:
So does anybody know of any tools/scripts that can find accented characters?

I'm afraid not sorry. Probably the easiest way to find the culprit is to open iTunes, sort by added date and look for any files with accented characters added to your library around the time that you noticed that ITCH was no longer able to load your iTunes library.

Quote:
Also, are we talking about tags or file names or both?

I believe it's related to the filename, but it wouldn't hurt to do both ;)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:08 AM - 8 December, 2009
Hi satellitejoe,

Quote:
same problem guys....itch starts, but i can't see my itunes library.....try to shut it down and itch freezes........hmmmm what's up?

Quote:
do you know if any of these recently added files have any accented or foreign characters (eg. é,ó,ø,å,ç) in them at all?

Quote:
Did you try renaming the song with the "ø" in it? Ensure that you rename the file and edit the ID3 tag. This should then allow ITCH to open your iTunes library.
Ian Williams 10:34 AM - 8 December, 2009
I'm not convinced it's totally to do with accented characters, ....here's why.

I run two Macs. My primary machine is a 13" MacBook Pro with 10.6 Snow leopard, my backup machine is a Polycarbonate Macbook still running 10.5 Leopard. Both machines have identical music library's. .....Every week or so, I copy all new tracks from my main machine to the same locations on my back up machine. I also copy accross my iTunes library file.

Now if accented characters was the problem, i'd have problems on both machines. ...this isn't the case though. It's only the Snow leopard Macbook Pro that's lost the ability to see my iTunes library.

Accented characters may be a factor, but I think it's got more to do with what version of OS X you're running.
Ian Williams 10:37 AM - 8 December, 2009
Also, I have a library of 20,000 songs on my machines. so searching for & fixing accented characters really isn't practical.

Can we have a fix please? If I can't use Itch on my new £1200 Macbook Pro, then the VCI 300 will have to go!
Ian Williams 11:23 AM - 8 December, 2009
OK. ...I just deleted everything with "serato" & "itch"in the file name that spotlight could find. Then re-installed Itch 1.4.

I'm now up & running & Itch can see my iTunes library again.

So what's going on? ....I'm still not convinced that accents are the culprit here!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:03 AM - 9 December, 2009
Hey Ian,

Quote:
I'm not convinced it's totally to do with accented characters

You're right, it may not necessarily be related to accented characters. However that is a bug I've seen which results in the iTunes library loading fine one day and then after adding tracks it no longer appears, so I figured it was worth trying that route out first :)

Quote:
OK. ...I just deleted everything with "serato" & "itch"in the file name that spotlight could find. Then re-installed Itch 1.4.

I'm now up & running & Itch can see my iTunes library again.

So what's going on?

Good question. The file that ITCH reads your iTunes library information from is the "iTunes music library.xml" file, which is located in the iTunes Music folder. So if ITCH can't read the library it's usually due to it being unable to
A) Find this file or
B) Read this file.
So while it's great that deleting all the "ITCH" and "Serato" files has solved this issue, I can't really explain to you why this would have fixed it :-/ One thing that springs to mind is that perhaps you had a corrupt ITCH database or crate which was hanging on start up and stopping ITCH from reading your iTunes library, but I can only speculate on that.

So unfortunately I can't really offer much more insight on your issue sorry, unless of course it happens again in which case we can try noting what steps we can take to fix it :)
Ian Williams 10:49 AM - 9 December, 2009
Thanks for the reply Michael.

It may not be the preferred way of fixing things, & obviously my solution will only work if you use iTunes for all your music management (As I'm deleting any existing Serato crates). But at least I now have a solution if I find myself at a gig & I can't see my music library.

The installer for 1.4 is now kept on the thumb drive on my key ring! :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:52 AM - 16 December, 2009
Hey Ian,

Good to hear you're prepared :) Please do let me know if you see this issue again.
1:16 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.