DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Role of a DJ's manager...

DouggyFresh 7:54 PM - 16 November, 2009
I hear all the time about people who have managers - what is it exactly that these people do? Handle bookings? Call up clubs and promoters and actively send out demos? Handle deposits and contracts? What IS it that a manager does for a DJ? Or more should I say, what does a manager do for YOU?
agentorange 7:55 PM - 16 November, 2009
u should know. douggyfresh and the getfreshcrew. *fresh*
DouggyFresh 8:11 PM - 16 November, 2009
Funny. I'm serious though.
Mike_P 8:11 PM - 16 November, 2009
whatever he does, i need one. haha!
agentorange 8:31 PM - 16 November, 2009
lol. a manager will manage just about whatever u need managing. whether money, booking, your contact list down to your wife.

i think they manage just about anything you'd like. whatever you like for whatever price.
agentorange 8:32 PM - 16 November, 2009
is this not common sense? if you ask then maybe you don't need one. i can pretty much guarantee that they will not give you any talent.
DouggyFresh 8:56 PM - 16 November, 2009
Actually the reason I was asking was not to get a manager, but what I would need to do to "be" a manager. I've got a sound/light tech position at one club already 4 nights a week that pays well enough and is steady that I don't really need any more work right now, so I've been thinking about helping out a friend.

One of my good friends is a very good turntablist DJ but always seems to get the short end of the stick from clubs & gigs as far as payment compared to a lot of guys with half his talent bringing a NS7 Itch or BCD-3000 that can't mix. So I've been talking to him about being a middle man to help negotiate better bookings. But I needed to know what else might be expected, but if it's an open ended thing then I'll be fine. I've got a 4 yr degree in Business Management but for some reason I never seen the class in "Artist Management" as a course option... ;)
agentorange 9:04 PM - 16 November, 2009
hey man... go for it! do your thing....

shooowwwww meeee thhheeeeee monnnnnneeeeyyyyyyyy
sacrilicious 9:17 PM - 16 November, 2009
My buddy is taking classes in Artist Management and also managing me. He's done work in building my network and some buzz but he hasn't booked me anything directly financially beneficial nor otherwise raised my rates. That said, the amount of work he's put in probably puts me ahead relative to the amount of money I've paid out to him for gigs I've booked on my own but it's catching up.
DJYoshi 10:52 PM - 16 November, 2009
there's a BIG difference b/t booking Agent and Manager. Although your management should be trying to get you bookings...your booking agent should be the one controlling 50 - 70% of your club/event/tour bookings.
Your manager/management team should be controlling your day to day imaging and helping you run your life... just like Eric Murphy did for Vincent Chase on Entourage... Ari got him most of his bread winnings...while Eric acted as basically his consultant.
Your manager SHOULD be the ass in the relationship. You should never ruin a relationship with a club, venue, promoter, etc...b/c you're being an ass due to not getting what you want during negotiations... your mgmt should be the one in contact with the agent(s) and anyone else.... your manager should be acting as your proxy and can be the dick b/c it's NOT YOU.
Furthermore, having a manager and booking agent doesn't guarantee you SHIT. You're just another asset to them to add an extra x amount to their yearly income... (agent speaking)... I have both mgmt and agents and I STILL go after sh** on my own... I like being more hands on when it comes to projects...but I will NOT negotiate without mgmt or agent representation.... it's just setting up something that could lead down to a bad road.. IF you have one....
djdragon 5:24 AM - 17 November, 2009
Quote:
Or more should I say, what does a manager do for YOU?

Take 20% off the top, manager has car payments ya' know.
Dj Shamann 7:15 AM - 17 November, 2009
With all due respect to you, if you don't know what a manager does, your friend is better off without you. If he's getting the raw end of the deal he needs someone who knows what they're doing and even more importantly, knows what his title even does.

Yoshi hit the nail on the head.

Booker = Gets you gigs for a cut

Manager = Looks out for your best interest.

Dj Shamann 7:32 AM - 17 November, 2009
Once upon a time I was involved in TV, had a reputable agent. He was more worried about taking a cut. I did well, he in turn did well (due to his many clients and years in the business). I didn't like his business practices. I was young, he was old, he retired... I moved on. I settled back into Djing after a while and had a knowledgeable and experienced friend look out for my best interests, I liked his business practices... I ate, I played good clubs, it was fun. His wife had a baby, he retired, I moved on but no longer had anyone looking out for my best interests, only the new breed of "promoters" trying to dance in the bottle service area on my dime. Since none of these people have my best interest at heart I decided to not let any of them handle my business, but for a the right money, they can have a cut of the gig that they found, negotiated and I did fuck all for. I agree to the terms or I don't, the second I have to start negotiating myself is the seconds they lose that cut.

It's not ideal, but for now... it's how I deal.
Jordan Laws 8:18 AM - 17 November, 2009
I think the biggest mistake a DJ can make is getting a manager too early in your career. You really need to be hands on in the beginning and create your own buzz without one first. Otherwise you will have management asking for too much and you loosing gigs because you havent proven your worth. Also true I think more Djs need bookings agents rather then management to get the ball rolling, but once again you have to create your own buzz, don't be lazy and rely on someone else to do the work for you. Be a go getter without being pushy. Also new jacks please please please, leave your ego at the door. Its great to be a talented Dj but 80% of the biz is personality, make sure your doing this for the right reasons or else you wont last.
DJYoshi 4:10 PM - 17 November, 2009
Quote:
I think the biggest mistake a DJ can make is getting a manager too early in your career. You really need to be hands on in the beginning and create your own buzz without one first. Otherwise you will have management asking for too much and you loosing gigs because you havent proven your worth. Also true I think more Djs need bookings agents rather then management to get the ball rolling, but once again you have to create your own buzz, don't be lazy and rely on someone else to do the work for you. Be a go getter without being pushy. Also new jacks please please please, leave your ego at the door. Its great to be a talented Dj but 80% of the biz is personality, make sure your doing this for the right reasons or else you wont last.

I kind of agree with this for the fact that when you're HANDS ON and really go thru the struggle yourself without having management or representation..you APPRECIATE the success and bookings that you get yourself...then when representation comes along, you don't bitch and say: well what are you doing for me? (speaking to your manager). Shamann, you're a nut dude! with all that you've done...you should be with an agency like CEG Talent!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:25 PM - 17 November, 2009
Quote:
Actually the reason I was asking was not to get a manager, but what I would need to do to "be" a manager. I've got a sound/light tech position at one club already 4 nights a week that pays well enough and is steady that I don't really need any more work right now, so I've been thinking about helping out a friend.

One of my good friends is a very good turntablist DJ but always seems to get the short end of the stick from clubs & gigs as far as payment compared to a lot of guys with half his talent bringing a NS7 Itch or BCD-3000 that can't mix. So I've been talking to him about being a middle man to help negotiate better bookings. But I needed to know what else might be expected, but if it's an open ended thing then I'll be fine. I've got a 4 yr degree in Business Management but for some reason I never seen the class in "Artist Management" as a course option... ;)

If your boys not good enough at handling his own busniess then i dout hell know if your delivering everything that a manager\agent should be offering anyway. Just do what you need to do and get your cut and as long as gigs are going his way and hes making some money too everyones happy
Pretty tony 11:33 PM - 9 January, 2012
Well I need an manager. Im a DJ. Email me only if ur serious/ majorbeatz@yahoo.com
DJv2 11:42 PM - 9 January, 2012
who gets my groceries and does my dirty laundry? lol
dj_soo 12:17 AM - 10 January, 2012
i know many talented musicians and djs who could really use a manager.

The way I look at it, most guys need someone to be their mom or dad when it comes to the business side of things - someone who's there to look out for your interests whether it's managing your finances, working on your branding, making sure you're there on time, keep you from getting in too much trouble, or just someone you can pay to be the asshole for you.

The DJ business is exactly that - a business, and talent only takes you so far - having someone with some sort of professional accumen looking out for you - especially if you don't have that acumen yourself - is basically what a manager is to me...
dj_soo 12:22 AM - 10 January, 2012
Personally, I'd like a decent booking agent before I want a manager.

I have an agent getting me corporate or private mobile gigs in town which pay pretty decently, but those gigs are just not fun... Would love to find a booking agent for touring and fun gigs but I guess I need a couple more big releases under my belt before that happens...
echa1945mf 1:56 AM - 10 January, 2012
yoshi got it right

My booking agents find me gigs

my manager handles remix/production jobs,collabo,the endorsment,flight itteanary,taking care of me while im on tour (make sure i get to the airport in time,checked me in,handle my luggage,and not forgot to wake up for the next flight the next day) , plus he handles my show too (how the lights for my intro set,when to play my looped video for background,i dont do video so i have a looped video for the screens or mixed with resident dj's),plus he's the one i yelled at if the club didnt have my bottle of goose ready when i reach the club,and when they gave me a shitty hotels,he even picked what i wear to the gigs (i do have a shitty sense of fashion,always tshirt sneakers and jeans if he doesnt pick my warddrobe) , basicly i only handles the music he takes care everything else,he works hand in hand with my booking agency

and no , i started out on my own,but the time comes when i need someone else to handles other stuff so i can just focused on my music
Sureshot (PA) 4:45 AM - 10 January, 2012
This is what i need...

Watchwww.youtube.com
Groove Factor 2:59 PM - 10 January, 2012
When you are too popular to handle all the bookings requests you are getting - you may need an agent. Agents are not going to find gigs for no-name DJs, they are going to help deal with all the logistics for popular, in demand performers.

Managers often travel with you - to help sort out all of the details of making sure the club has the mixer and tables / CDJs you asked for - making sure the hotel is up to par - making sure your media and friends are sorted on the guest list - making sure your video is being run properly etc.

Even DJs who are very popular and travel around the world often dont have managers. Only the biggest of the big DJs actually have someone traveling with them to shows.
drew257 4:52 AM - 29 June, 2012
A very good friend of mine is an up and coming Dj and I've been supporting him since he started, I've been to more of his gigs then anyone else we know, I've helped get him gigs and known on the scene just because of people I know - promoters, DJs, security, Managers and bar staff, some of these may not seem important but all have helped get him noticed and even gigs, I don't class this as being a manager but from the last few club nights we have been involved in everyone else that is involved tell people I'm his manager just because of my support, paying for his night's so he can participate in the event and because I always get involved if I think he's being messed about, I have never taken pay from him just a few drinks here and there, so due to this I myself sometimes tell people I'm his manager/friend and promoter which he himself goes along with, so In my opinion I don't think any Dj really has a TRUE manager but always tend to have at least one person helping to a higher standard then others, so I guess it just depends on what the individual Dj classes them as.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:27 PM - 29 June, 2012
Quote:
so In my opinion I don't think any Dj really has a TRUE manager

I see your point but at some level they def do, like im sure people like vice or any skam artists have a dedicated manager
DJ Remy USA 2:16 PM - 29 June, 2012
see this is the part of the business where I fail majorly.

Ima pretty much hard up when I talk to owners and promoters I let them know right off the bat that I dont take crap. It turns a lot them off becuase they know they cant screw me over and since I dont have a buzz yet my business card and mix cds end up getting tossed out by these guys because Im not easily manipulated.

I understand the concept of you catching more flies with honey than with vinegar but it seems like my kindness if being taken for weakness in this business. Ive had to unplugg my gear mid set because either the owner or promoter didnt do what I asked like pay me up front or they are trying overly control my playlist which is bullshit.

I guess Im missing the balance that a manager would be able to maintain. Ima good DJ but I need help with the business.

Oh yea thanks DJ Yoshi for giving me some advice and guidnace last year but Im not big time like you so its been hard applying it to my DJ grind.

anyways back to Role of manager
SUBSTANCE 10:29 PM - 15 August, 2012
I'm a manager. Not your fucking mother.
I book flights & gigs but I'm not about to wipe your ass or be yelled at because your drink rider isn't there or you can't be responsible enough to arrive on time for a flight you didn't pay for.
That's why I'm a good manager. lol.
ced_so_thoed 11:34 PM - 15 August, 2012
ay
I had a manager that fucking sucked balls. He would double book me, get the pay wrong, book me places where I wasn't supposed to be, and wanted me to do what he wanted on the radio. I fired his ass. The manager I have now, great. Always finding shit for me, has my prices and know what I won't do and knows how low I will go, will make sure I know where I'm to be, when to be there, and makes sure the contract is followed thoroughly. She's my girlfriend though so it works out well.
yep
djvtyme85 12:07 AM - 16 August, 2012
Quote:
ay
I had a manager that fucking sucked balls. He would double book me, get the pay wrong, book me places where I wasn't supposed to be, and wanted me to do what he wanted on the radio. I fired his ass. The manager I have now, great. Always finding shit for me, has my prices and know what I won't do and knows how low I will go, will make sure I know where I'm to be, when to be there, and makes sure the contract is followed thoroughly. She's my girlfriend though so it works out well.
yep

id be so scared to have my girl handling my business. i can barely get her to do one task alone without asking what i think smh...#luckyman
sixxx 12:30 AM - 16 August, 2012
His girl wears the pants in the relationship.
djvtyme85 4:05 AM - 17 August, 2012
Quote:
His girl wears the pants in the relationship.

She probably does lol
Daktyl 8:44 PM - 17 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
ay
yep

id be so scared to have my girl handling my business. i can barely get her to do one task alone without asking what i think smh...#luckyman

i'd be worried in that situation, but for different reasons.... if the relationship ever goes south, she could seriously mess with your business....
ced_so_thoed 10:38 PM - 17 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ay
yep

i'd be worried in that situation, but for different reasons.... if the relationship ever goes south, she could seriously mess with your business....

ay
true, but we're getting married so I'm already fucked. She's a manager at a state regulation firm so she is really business minded. Also has me going back to school so yeah... she has my balls... in her mouth.
yep
Daktyl 10:44 PM - 17 August, 2012
ay
carry on then
yep
CherylC 4:53 AM - 1 August, 2013
I was recently approached by a DJ and an artist to become their manager. I know what this means are my responsibilities to an extent. My question is this: If I am their manager am I responsible for their transportation?
DJ SPAIR 10:15 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
I was recently approached by a DJ and an artist to become their manager. I know what this means are my responsibilities to an extent. My question is this: If I am their manager am I responsible for their transportation?

Your responsible for their careers. Since they don't want to handle the business side of things, they feel confident that you can. Assuming you know how to handle music contracts,riders and booking travel like you asked. However your not responsible for paying for the transportion if that's what your asking.
 6 5:56 PM - 1 August, 2013
She's talking about her 12 year old asking her to drive him to gigs. lol

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:00 PM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:

Wait...did a dj and an artist say they wanted to ride......u sure they were talking about managment?
DouggyFresh 9:28 PM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Wait...did a dj and an artist say they wanted to ride......u sure they were talking about managment?

Well, technically, if you are booking their flights, arranging for their hotel stays, transportation to the gig by limo, I'm sure...

If you mean picking them up from their mama's house, driving them 5 miles to the gig, and picking them up and driving them home... I don't think that's expected lol.
DJ Reflex 11:02 PM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
If you mean picking them up from their mama's house, driving them 5 miles to the gig, and picking them up and driving them home... I don't think that's expected lol.

Unless it's your 12 year old kid! :)
DouggyFresh 11:27 PM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

My kids get the limo ride... lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:17 AM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My kids get the limo ride... lol

I KNEW IT!!!

Watchwww.youtube.com

^YOUR TO BLAME!!!
wardie 4:21 PM - 3 August, 2013
I will spell it out for you in one word: forgiveness. This is the job of a manager.

I managed a successful band for 2.5 years and although the experience was positive in my case, it was positive ONLY b/c I genuinely cared for the artists on a personal level and could therefore forgive them for being total DBs when I had to.

I started out doing all the biz & booking stuff (which is actually illegal in some states...) but as they got more popular a booking agent and then even a biz manager came on board, leaving me to only deal w/ the talent and their personal needs.

Again: forgiveness. You MUST be able to forgive to be a successful manager.

When people ask me what a manager does and I tell them this, most people just don't get it, I guess most people have never managed a talented and successful act, but if you ever have or ever do, you too will understand what I'm saying here.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:49 PM - 4 August, 2013
Quote:

I started out doing all the biz & booking stuff (which is actually illegal in some states...).

You dj so bad its illegal in some states for you to book gigs
DJ Reflex 12:23 AM - 5 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I started out doing all the biz & booking stuff (which is actually illegal in some states...).

You dj so bad its illegal in some states for you to book gigs

Wrong thread...
Vaho_ZeeM 8:52 AM - 9 May, 2014
I am new in the business and managing a friend... would really appreciate some guidance or someone to act as a mentor
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:56 PM - 9 May, 2014
Quote:
I am new in the business and managing a friend... would really appreciate some guidance or someone to act as a mentor

You shouldn't be managing anybody if you need a mentor...
Deejay Bluemoon™ 7:26 PM - 24 December, 2015
I think if you really need a dj manager you should get a qualified fella for this job. Not everyone can be a Artist manager. If you went to business school doesnt mean you can be the kind of manager a dj needs, but you are on the right path since business is a major part of the task. Speaking of small djs not getting managers is also a wicked lie coz it all depends on how deep your pockets are. Am thinking of getting one when mine are deep enough as for now i can still manage mu ish.

Deejay bluemoon #bluebox
WarpNote 9:05 PM - 24 December, 2015
#threadrevival-of-the-year?
Deejay Bluemoon™ 9:40 PM - 24 December, 2015
Quote:
#threadrevival-of-the-year?

Lmao! just before christmas.
BookJC217 9:35 PM - 19 October, 2016
Whats up Fella's I agree to some and disagree to other's comments... In this world today everyone need some help in some kind of way. But my Dj have me as his Manager because I deals with all the Business aspect , yes when it comes to contracts, talking to people, booking all his gigs, that's where I step in place at, and sometimes I be his SECURITY because we as people do get Ignorant at times. Im also a Manager for Recording Artists that's just getting their names out, so I love doing what I do, but I understand everyone's point on why you do and don't need a MANAGER, but to each's own
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:39 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:

But my Dj have me as his Manager because I deals with all the Business aspect

I bet those are some well worded documents.
Djrobert kumar 3:25 PM - 7 May, 2017
Hi guys .. I'm a Dj from India holding an experience of almost 9yrs in industries .. I'm looking for an "Artist Management" & "Booking agent" .. Please get in touch with me on the following mail id Djrobert9860144211@gmail.com

Thanks & Regards
Robert R Kumar
MoEzbetta 12:30 PM - 30 December, 2017
DJ Yoshi very well said.
I manage a couple of DJ's and I love the fact that they are go getters. Its one of my favorite things about them. They are heavy into branding and securing them a spot in this entertainment world and they work towards it EVERY SINGLE DAY!! What gets me on my nerves is not letting me do my job!!! Then they get into a situation where they jerk themselves or they mess up the opportunities!! Saying the simple sentence ILL HAVE MY MANAGER REACH OUT, Changes the out look when dealing with folks. Even if its not your manager it gives you a moment to stop and really think about a deal. It gives pause to high frequency moments. Yes I play manager/booking agent/photographer/promoter and I love it but as the talent lemme do the talking!