DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Akai LPD8

NAVE C 5:19 AM - 10 November, 2009
I'm trying to map my AKAI LPD8 for serato use, anyone use it and have any tips on what to use it for / how to use the editor to make it work for serato.

Thanks!

nave
HYDRO MATIC 6:36 AM - 10 November, 2009
i dont understand why everyone tries to use the machines or company x's editor...you need to map this in serato...not the other way around...it takes like 2 mins to decide how you want it and less time to actually do it with serato open...

or am i missing something here?
NAVE C 6:38 AM - 10 November, 2009
Quote:
i dont understand why everyone tries to use the machines or company x's editor...you need to map this in serato...not the other way around...it takes like 2 mins to decide how you want it and less time to actually do it with serato open...

or am i missing something here?

i know how to map it in serato, just some of the knobs dont work as wanted in serato.. i want the knobs to work not so sensitive for scrolling through loop sizes etc.

I am also wondering what people use the akai lpd8 for, cues, samples etc.. how ppl map it to maximize their performance.
RuxtA 8:14 AM - 10 November, 2009
I use the padkontrol. i map cues, and loops, still learning though. I load the samples to deck as i use it for scratching. Laptop to the side. So i wont be looking at the screen most of the time, only to load songs then i look at the screen.
I use midi controller cause i dont have a ttm57.
Dj.Mojo 10:46 AM - 10 November, 2009
Quote:
I'm trying to map my AKAI LPD8 for serato use, anyone use it and have any tips on what to use it for / how to use the editor to make it work for serato.

Thanks!

nave

If your p6 knob is not assignable in Serato, hit me up and I can help you.
NAVE C 2:17 PM - 10 November, 2009

If your p6 knob is not assignable in Serato, hit me up and I can help you.

I can't map my k6 key.
Dj.Mojo 2:34 PM - 10 November, 2009
I meant the K6 knob.

It is fairly easy. Close SL. Open the Akai editor.
At the preset number you enter "2"
When you take a look at k6 knob in the editor you see "CC".
Change the number next to it to any other number that is not already in usage.
Then save preset and click on Commit Upload.
Restart SL.

It should work fine now.
NAVE C 12:49 AM - 13 November, 2009
is there a way i can configure the knobs so that its like an on off switch instead of a scrolling type of midi signal?
Dj.Mojo 9:29 AM - 13 November, 2009
I would love to know that too! I got knobs to adjust loop length and......what else beside scrolling through the library can you use them for (not talking about effects in vsl).
With the scrolling type the "On-Off" Area is extremely small
NAVE C 5:48 AM - 19 November, 2009
Quote:
I meant the K6 knob.

It is fairly easy. Close SL. Open the Akai editor.
At the preset number you enter "2"
When you take a look at k6 knob in the editor you see "CC".
Change the number next to it to any other number that is not already in usage.
Then save preset and click on Commit Upload.
Restart SL.

It should work fine now.

thanks, works now!
SuckaDJ 5:54 AM - 19 November, 2009
Isn't this so much better?
www.guitarcenter.com
NAVE C 6:07 AM - 19 November, 2009
Quote:
www.guitarcenter.com

nano key, not a fan at all!

check out

www.akaipro.com
danielthewave 2:38 PM - 19 November, 2009
Quote:
is there a way i can configure the knobs so that its like an on off switch instead of a scrolling type of midi signal?

+1
SuckaDJ 4:11 PM - 19 November, 2009
Adjust the settings of the knobs? Adjust the high/low's so that you barely have to turn the knob for it to activate.
NAVE C 4:18 PM - 19 November, 2009
Quote:
Adjust the settings of the knobs? Adjust the high/low's so that you barely have to turn the knob for it to activate.

so i should set it to be low 1 hi 2? or low 1 hi 5 something like that?
DJ Sniffles 4:29 PM - 19 November, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
www.guitarcenter.com

check out

www.akaipro.com

The nanokey is a cheap piece of shit. I bought that for travel and the damn keys just pop right off. That Akai LPK25 is nice though
SuckaDJ 4:34 PM - 19 November, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Yea, try that out and let me know if it works
SuckaDJ 4:35 PM - 19 November, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.guitarcenter.com

check out

www.akaipro.com

The nanokey is a cheap piece of shit. I bought that for travel and the damn keys just pop right off. That Akai LPK25 is nice though

LPK25 looks NICE
OhCeeDee 4:31 AM - 30 November, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

usually if you want to use a CC message that goes from 0 to 127 (like the knobs on the LPD8) as an on/off switch, the switch happens at 64, aka the middle point of the knobs full range of motion. when it passes above or below 64 (0-64-127) it will switch the software mapping from on to off and visa versa.

so you might have to set the knob to something like 63 at the low end and 127 at the high. this way you only need to turn the knob up (from the far left position) a tiny bit for it to pass the "64" point and trigger an "on" message in serato.

i havet tried this with serato and the LPD8 yet specifically, but i know this is how its worked for me in the past with other midi software/hardware...
danield 12:52 AM - 6 May, 2010
Does someone know if is there a way to the PADs keep light on when you press it, and only light off when you press it again ? This would be great for me, as i'm using the pads to turn on/off the effects.
OhCeeDee 5:08 AM - 6 May, 2010
Go into the LPD8 Editor software and switch the pads from momentary to toggle, should give you what you're after.
gevola 7:23 AM - 6 May, 2010
Quote:
Go into the LPD8 Editor software and switch the pads from momentary to toggle, should give you what you're after.

I have tried this configuration .. but serato togle the effect only when the "PADs sitch to on".
So in this case you need to press the PAD to enable / disable the effect ...
But probably I done something wrong.
If you find how configure the LPD8 and Serato .. please let me knwo.
OhCeeDee 8:20 AM - 6 May, 2010
you have to switch the mapping in serato to the correct midi message type.

press the c key while the mouse is over the control you have mapped to youre LPD8 and it will cycle through the different modes.

one of them will give you the behavior you're looking for.
gevola 8:22 AM - 6 May, 2010
thanks OhCeeDee .. I will check tonight.
gevola 12:40 PM - 7 May, 2010
hmmmm probably I made somethink wrong.
I configured the PAD of LPD8 as toggle. Then changed the configuration od Serato ( on/off mode ) and the result is .........

when the pad is ON ( light on ) the effect is OFF,
when the light PAD is OFF the effect is ON.

I made something wrong ?
Is there someone that have configured properly the LPD8 ?
OhCeeDee 8:52 PM - 7 May, 2010
try all of the different message modes. one of them should work :)
BERTO 4:26 AM - 13 May, 2010
Im pissed i bought the damn thing because it was supposed to be backlit keys!!! i dont care if they turn on when u press them i want them on all the time so when its dark i can see wat im hitting, FML any hints or help would be great
gevola 7:05 AM - 13 May, 2010
Hi BERTO, finaly i solved ...
This night I will write some notes to configure correctly LPD8
BERTO 1:21 PM - 13 May, 2010
let me know
BERTO 4:37 PM - 13 May, 2010
Quote:
hmmmm probably I made somethink wrong.
I configured the PAD of LPD8 as toggle. Then changed the configuration od Serato ( on/off mode ) and the result is .........

when the pad is ON ( light on ) the effect is OFF,
when the light PAD is OFF the effect is ON.

I made something wrong ?
Is there someone that have configured properly the LPD8 ?
same thing here
BERTO 6:00 PM - 13 May, 2010
figured it out! to keep pads light with effect on/ off for effect off
went into editor and put all the cc's in numerical order to start so the knobs wont mess with the pads controls. Im using preset 2 for my effects so i put the pads in the editor to toggle in preset 2, then commit upload and saved preset as preset 2
ok now close akai editor. open ssl go to your preset (1,2,3 or 4) that u set for effects with toggle. open midi setup screen with cc lit in the akai lpd8 press the pad twice first time wont do anything second time it will asign, the green box will say absolute, hit tab and your set, save your midi setting under setup screen for serato and there you have it. got the lpd8 yesterday and i figured it out!!! the pads stay on with effect on and off when effects off good luck
BERTO 6:01 PM - 13 May, 2010
^^^ oh and if you dont change all the cc's in all the presets and the cc number is the same for more then one pad or knob they will clash.
gevola 9:22 PM - 13 May, 2010
Quote:
open ssl go to your preset (1,2,3 or 4) that u set for effects with toggle. open midi setup screen with cc lit in the akai lpd8 press the pad twice first time wont do anything second time it will asign, the green box will say absolute, hit tab and your set, save your midi setting under setup screen for serato and there you have it. got the lpd8 yesterday and i figured it out!!! the pads stay on with effect on and off when effects off good luck

Hi BERTO ...
yes ... thsi is what I did ..
Good to knwo that to you are now happy to work with this controller.
BERTO 9:47 PM - 13 May, 2010
!!!!!
OhCeeDee 1:32 AM - 14 May, 2010
yeah i forgot that by default some of the pads are assigned to the same CC message as some of the knobs.

why in gods name they did that i may never know.
BERTO 4:09 PM - 14 May, 2010
Quote:
yeah i forgot that by default some of the pads are assigned to the same CC message as some of the knobs.

why in gods name they did that i may never know.

yea i was pissed when i mapped all my stuff changed programs and the knobs controlled the on/offs for effects
DJ_Hotpoint 5:22 PM - 17 May, 2010
Hey guys. I've just got one.
How do I set it up?
Any links to any set-up videos???
Thanks,

Ben
BERTO 5:26 PM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:
Hey guys. I've just got one.
How do I set it up?
Any links to any set-up videos???
Thanks,

Ben

how do you want it set up?
first things first, go to editor software that came with or download and change all the cc numbers to numerical order in all the presets make sure they dont repeat, for knobs and pads, 1-64 then hit that upload button and save.
DJ_Hotpoint 5:51 PM - 17 May, 2010
Just in serato.

cue points, loops and sample player on the buttons.

Fx on the knobs (no cock).

Never set up a midi controller before...
BERTO 6:11 PM - 17 May, 2010
ok well u still have to go into the akai editor and do the CC thing, tnen you want to follow these instructions www.scratchlive.net you can map pretty much everything you want the key is to make it less keyboard you can use the knobs to tweak effects, scroll in library ect, you can use pads to trigger samples, auto loops, turn effects on and off ect. take your time and make it you
spiker6750 6:58 PM - 17 May, 2010
is there any reason why you guys are changing the CC's?...i didnt install the cd, i just set up the controller in the midi section of serato, and it seems to be working fine.
BERTO 7:29 PM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:
is there any reason why you guys are changing the CC's?...i didnt install the cd, i just set up the controller in the midi section of serato, and it seems to be working fine.

well i personally changed the cc's because when they reoccurred the knobs in program 2 matched the buttons in program 1 so when i turned the knobs the button would flash on and off for the effects because the cc was the same number or the akai.
BERTO 7:29 PM - 17 May, 2010
number on the akai*^^^^
spiker6750 8:32 PM - 17 May, 2010
ohh i guess im not having the same problems as u guys because the way i have mine set up is so that the pads trigger the cue points and the knobs are for the wet and dry amounts
BERTO 8:33 PM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:
ohh i guess im not having the same problems as u guys because the way i have mine set up is so that the pads trigger the cue points and the knobs are for the wet and dry amounts

how many programs are you using?
spiker6750 8:35 PM - 17 May, 2010
i just have one program set.
BERTO 8:42 PM - 17 May, 2010
try using a second program and ull see y i had to change ccs
spiker6750 9:33 PM - 17 May, 2010
will do...ill check it out tonight, i really want to see what other kinds of configurations i can come up with, i just really wish someone would do a video of some of there configurations. im sure a video would help a lot of people out there and it would definitely stop the 9 million thread topics that keep showing up all over this forum about the lpd8. lol
fcprod1 11:23 PM - 17 May, 2010
@spiker
i think the reason why BERTO did this is so that the backlight will stay on when a pad is pressed and turned off when it is hit again. Otherwise its good right out of the box with no CD install or cc's programming.
spiker6750 1:16 AM - 18 May, 2010
yea i figured that much lol....to me thats not all that big of a deal. but thanks man
DJ_Hotpoint 5:53 PM - 18 May, 2010
Do the knobs do different things depending on which bank you've selected or do they do the same thing whatever bank you're using?
BERTO 6:00 PM - 18 May, 2010
Quote:
Do the knobs do different things depending on which bank you've selected or do they do the same thing whatever bank you're using?

they change with the programs so you can map the each knob 4 times
DJ_Hotpoint 6:28 PM - 18 May, 2010
Sweet ok, thank you very much.

One last question, and this might sound stupid ( I didn't get any instructions with my LPD8), but what's the exact function of the 4 buttons of the left - ie what do they each do?

Program
Pad
Prog Chang
CC

Do any buttons need to be held down for 1+ sec of pressed in combinations?

www.gigacrate.com
BERTO 7:32 PM - 18 May, 2010
program will light up one of the lower pads to and enable you to choose the scene (program 1-4) www.akaipro.com heres manual!
JMills 3:21 PM - 9 June, 2010
Yo,

I mapped everything out on my LPD8.

But I can't for the life of me understand what I'm supposed to do with the CC and PROG CHNG buttons??

I don't even understand what they do?

Could someone explain what these buttons do interms of SSL 2.0??
djbanno 12:00 PM - 10 June, 2010
Umm...

Quote:
program will light up one of the lower pads to and enable you to choose the scene (program 1-4) www.akaipro.com heres manual!
ClubVpose 5:31 PM - 13 June, 2010
Quote:
I can't for the life of me understand what I'm supposed to do with the CC and PROG CHNG buttons??

I don't even understand what they do?

Could someone explain what these buttons do interms of SSL 2.0??

Yesss please, someone explain!!
ClubVpose 11:22 PM - 15 June, 2010
And I've started a thread wondering how to map Loop Rolls.... is that even possible?

Check it: scratchlive.net
djbanno 12:33 AM - 16 June, 2010
^^honestly guys, you need to read this thread from the top to the bottom.
Every thing you are asking is answered above.
Anyway, here ya go...
www.scratchlive.net
Watchwww.youtube.com loop roll (same in 2.0) (konix's vids here= www.scratchlive.net)
www.akaipro.com Login, download and read the manual like i did.
DVE 12:17 PM - 16 June, 2010
My buttons are still lighting up incorrectly for the effects buttons. Has anyone properly figured this out? I found the best setting was "relative on/off" the other settings weren't properly responsive, the only problem is that when the effect is on the light turns off. I do have it set as "toggle" in the editor.
BERTO 11:44 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
My buttons are still lighting up incorrectly for the effects buttons. Has anyone properly figured this out? I found the best setting was "relative on/off" the other settings weren't properly responsive, the only problem is that when the effect is on the light turns off. I do have it set as "toggle" in the editor.

Quote:
went into editor and put all the cc's in numerical order to start so the knobs wont mess with the pads controls. Im using preset 2 for my effects so i put the pads in the editor to toggle in preset 2, then commit upload and saved preset as preset 2
ok now close akai editor. open ssl go to your preset (1,2,3 or 4) that u set for effects with toggle. open midi setup screen with cc lit in the akai lpd8 press the pad twice first time wont do anything second time it will asign, the green box will say absolute, hit tab and your set, save your midi setting under setup screen for serato and there you have it. got the lpd8 yesterday and i figured it out!!! the pads stay on with effect on and off when effects off good luck
DVE 11:58 PM - 16 June, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I followed this procedure several times. For some reason after I assign the button in scratch live, pressing "tab" makes no change what so ever. Does anyone else have this problem?
DARRIUS751 4:37 AM - 18 June, 2010
Has anyone experienced that the LPD8 pads needs to be hit with significant force? I trigger and the backlit light comes on (no sound), softer hits get no response. I take it that the unit is being set to read max velocity hits only. Is there a way to soften up the pad strike response? There are no pad velocity settings in here right?
DVE 6:03 AM - 18 June, 2010
^^^ Its depends what your midi settings are in SSL. If you set the midi assignment setting to "relative on/off" you'll find that you don't have to hit it with much force at all (that is if your trying to set it up for on on/off type situation in CC mode). Only problem is that the pads light up the wrong way around on this setting (light off for on/light on for off), which is the problem I'm trying to figure out.
DARRIUS751 6:05 AM - 18 June, 2010
ok, i'll try it, thxs
Foolio 11:04 AM - 18 June, 2010
Thanks for all the info - took a few goes but I got there.
Still having a bit of trouble with reversing commands with tab - seem to get it sorted then pads seem to randomly revert to non-reversed state every so often... Any ideass??
Foolio 12:27 PM - 19 June, 2010
me again...
seem to have got this sorted now. confused messages if you sometimes activate toggle buttons other than thru the lpd8?
now I want to figure our how to scroll (fx) using ONE pad - anyone know how to make serato jump back to the top of the drop down list once you get to the end? I just end up going thru *blank*blank*blank...
BERTO 2:30 PM - 19 June, 2010
Quote:
me again...
seem to have got this sorted now. confused messages if you sometimes activate toggle buttons other than thru the lpd8?
now I want to figure our how to scroll (fx) using ONE pad - anyone know how to make serato jump back to the top of the drop down list once you get to the end? I just end up going thru *blank*blank*blank...

if you assign to a knob you can scroll up and down i have a knob assigned to scroll down playlists and songs
Foolio 5:55 AM - 20 June, 2010
hmm, nah... I want all the knobs for effects - depth, feedback etc. I have a couple of favorite fx which stay selected. I only want to scroll on one of the three effects selectors - and do it with one pad (and three pads triggering effects each side).

and I'm back to having problems with reversing toggle pads - lit/on, dark/off. I can follow your excellent previous advice and get everything sorted out how I want, but after a while (a few hits, sometimes fairly rapid) the pads revert to lit/off, dark /on. what's up with that? have you ever had it happen?
BERTO 3:13 PM - 20 June, 2010
Quote:
hmm, nah... I want all the knobs for effects - depth, feedback etc. I have a couple of favorite fx which stay selected. I only want to scroll on one of the three effects selectors - and do it with one pad (and three pads triggering effects each side).

and I'm back to having problems with reversing toggle pads - lit/on, dark/off. I can follow your excellent previous advice and get everything sorted out how I want, but after a while (a few hits, sometimes fairly rapid) the pads revert to lit/off, dark /on. what's up with that? have you ever had it happen?

yea i figured it out lets say you have effect on (pads lit) and u switch scenes and leave pad on the software leaves the effect on but the pad turns off the light for the scene, so when you go back to it it is reversed, work around is to turn effect off and then switch banks or you loose the backlit on pad , you can also reverse this to get it back to lit
Foolio 5:55 AM - 21 June, 2010
thanks - but it's not happening when switching scenes, it just happens when i'm hitting pads when in the same scene.
i'm toggling on/off quickly sometimes - maybe too quick? it happens pretty randomly, can't always make it happen when I try...
changing scenes then back again is a work around to get back to how tings should be, but it's still catching me out
DVE 10:07 AM - 21 June, 2010
^^^ Have you tried changing the midi assign in SSL to "relative on/off" mode. It responds to SSL correctly, but the lights will be the wrong way around.
BERTO 12:15 AM - 22 June, 2010
Quote:
^^^ Have you tried changing the midi assign in SSL to "relative on/off" mode. It responds to SSL correctly, but the lights will be the wrong way around.

+1
Foolio 10:24 AM - 22 June, 2010
yeah, works better. though you've got to hit all pads on each time you out of and back into that scene. i'm not sure what is more annoying...

have you guys had this problem reversed the commands reverting to not reversed?
DARRIUS751 4:49 AM - 23 June, 2010
ok here's some observations about midi and what I implemented myself after really sitting down with the LPD8.
1. The software is ok, I used it to fix my overlapping CC issue somewhat, I still have a hard time knowing if it has several mapping changes at once via upload. For instance uploading Toggle to a pad hasn't worked yet. . .

2. I can make serato presets without the software. But I can't keep the pads lit and I tried the thread comments. Maybe it goes back to the editor issues.

3. Only when I map under my preset (1,2,3 or 4) within the PAD am I able to use the pads and knobs to control different aspects in Serato together, ie Cue pts and pitch. If Im in CC mode the pads and knobs use the same CC signals and do not work independently so what gives?

4. Has anyone used PC#'s yet? It doesn't appear that Serato utilizes them.
ClubVpose 11:17 PM - 30 June, 2010
I dont think it's been cover on this thread but.... could any Akai LPD8 user explain how we can use the rotary knobs to control the SL effects in ALL the 4 programs available in Akai LPD8?

I tried changing the CC's on the editor as suggested somewhere on this thread but nah... and I just can't get my head around it.

Nice one!
Mr Jimdobalina 9:39 PM - 1 July, 2010
Hey, i followed this thread's advice and managed to configure the pads to stay lit while the FX were on, and it worked a treat, but this no-longer works in the new 2.1public beta.

I've tried to map the pads to all FX on/off buttons (including the new Ultra-Knob), but they only work in absolute (midi mode). relative signed bit, relative on/off, etc do not work, they only activate the gui button, but no effect is heard!!

I've submitted a bug report, so if anybody else is experiencing this please confirm here www.scratchlive.net
Biz79 4:17 AM - 2 July, 2010
Quote:
I dont think it's been cover on this thread but.... could any Akai LPD8 user explain how we can use the rotary knobs to control the SL effects in ALL the 4 programs available in Akai LPD8?

I tried changing the CC's on the editor as suggested somewhere on this thread but nah... and I just can't get my head around it.

Nice one!

I haven't changed my presets around in awhile, but don't you number all the knob CC's the same if you want them to trigger the same effects in each scene?
Biz79 4:17 AM - 2 July, 2010
Quote:

Nice one!

I haven't changed my presets around in awhile, but don't you number all the knob CC's the same if you want them to trigger the same effects in each scene?
Biz79 4:32 AM - 2 July, 2010
Ahhh nm I guess it doesn't work that way.
Biz79 4:52 AM - 2 July, 2010
Quote:

Nice one!

Ok was messing around and what I said above does work actually sort of. So you need to have the knobs all set to the same CC numbers in each scene. Then, also make sure to change Preset Midi Channel to 1 in each scene. This way the knobs in each scene will be set to Channel 1, CC#1-8 or whatever you have them numbered.
j_dim 9:40 AM - 23 July, 2010
Has anyone figured a workaround on how to make the pads light up when the effect is on, and for it to not light up when the effect is off?
ive tried the methods mentioned but seems that no one has it figured out yet
Dj.Mojo 2:07 PM - 4 August, 2010
I am trying to achieve that the pads stay lit while the effect is on.
The procedure posted here works 90% for me.
2 out of three times the pad´s light turns on and the effect turns on.
But from time to time the pad doesn´t trigger the effect.
When I press the pad again it eventually triggers the effect.
Then it changes the pads behaviour: Effect on --> pad is off / Effect off --> pad is on.

I have changed all the cc numbers before... I don´t know what I am doing wrong.

Can anyone help?
kalibhakta 8:09 PM - 4 August, 2010
Do you have to set up the LPD8 every time you want to use it?

I just got one and mapped the pads to cues, but after unplugging it and turning everything off it isn't working.

When I get home I'll mess with it, but it is a new toy and I am new to MIDI controllers with Serato.
Dj.Mojo 9:33 PM - 4 August, 2010
You can save the midi settings to scratch live under settings-->midi.
gevola 9:13 PM - 5 August, 2010
Quote:
I am trying to achieve that the pads stay lit while the effect is on.
The procedure posted here works 90% for me.
2 out of three times the pad´s light turns on and the effect turns on.
But from time to time the pad doesn´t trigger the effect.
When I press the pad again it eventually triggers the effect.
Then it changes the pads behaviour: Effect on --> pad is off / Effect off --> pad is on.

I have changed all the cc numbers before... I don´t know what I am doing wrong.

Can anyone help?

I have the same problem
I think that is a problem of PAD controller.
Someone solved this issue ?
BERTO 9:42 PM - 5 August, 2010
i have had no problems
gevola 10:57 PM - 5 August, 2010
Quote:
i have had no problems

I'm using SL 2.0 on MAC with 10.6.3 OS
Which is your set-up ?

Dj.Mojo, wich is your set-up?
BERTO 12:11 AM - 6 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
i have had no problems

I'm using SL 2.0 on MAC with 10.6.3 OS
Which is your set-up ?
same excact 13 inch mbpro unibody
Dj.Mojo, wich is your set-up?
Dj.Mojo 12:09 PM - 6 August, 2010
I am still on leopard 10.5.8. Scratch live is 2.0.
casket hands 4:07 PM - 6 August, 2010
anyone have a midi setup they'd like to export and share with the group that uses a ttm57 and an LPD 8?
UrbanLife 7:40 AM - 17 August, 2010
Quote:
anyone have a midi setup they'd like to export and share with the group that uses a ttm57 and an LPD 8?

+1
King Shaolin 2:44 AM - 4 October, 2010
I just bought an LPD8 and following the advice here, Ive pretty much mapped it out how I want it. However, there is 1 tweak that id like some help trying to configure if at all possible.

I am trying to configure a single rotary knob to use the sp6 sample pitch bend in both the positive and negative directions. In other words lets say i have the rotary knob centered. I want to turn it to the right and have it activate the the positive bend and turn it left to activate the negative bend.
I know this is acting a bit much, but does someone have a solution for my idea?

Thanks........
BERTO 2:45 AM - 4 October, 2010
Quote:
I just bought an LPD8 and following the advice here, Ive pretty much mapped it out how I want it. However, there is 1 tweak that id like some help trying to configure if at all possible.

I am trying to configure a single rotary knob to use the sp6 sample pitch bend in both the positive and negative directions. In other words lets say i have the rotary knob centered. I want to turn it to the right and have it activate the the positive bend and turn it left to activate the negative bend.
I know this is acting a bit much, but does someone have a solution for my idea?

Thanks........

try hitting c when mapping and rotating through the options
mat the alien 9:38 PM - 6 February, 2011
ive got most of my lpd mapped
but im having a problem with the fx on-off
mine does light up and turn the effect on but when i hit the pad again the effect is still on but the light is off
thenwhen i hit the pad again the effect is off but the pad is lit then i hit the pad again and the effect is off
hamual 3:12 AM - 11 February, 2011
Hey, I'm thinking about buying one of these (as I've heard the nanokey is crap + akai stuff is usually good the only thing putting me off is the lack of buttons. I'll use it for triggering samples sometimes but other times I'll be using INSTEAD of the turntables.

I've tried mixing with just the laptop keyboard for when I can't/won't take turntables
& it's ok but just too awkward for my liking so wondered would something like this be any good.

Can you assign a fader knob for the pitch shift? So twisting all the way to the left gives you -8 and +8 the other way? If so I think I'll buy one cos I can use the pads for pitch bend and play/rev

Thanks
snob dee-jays 12:08 AM - 12 February, 2011
i use the lpd for cue point 1,2 and 3 and loop roll and super knob
mat the alien 12:14 AM - 12 February, 2011
i got mine working
i had to map the effect then ctrl click and map it again then it seemed to work so when i press the pad it lights up and effect is on and hit it again and the light goes off and the effect is off
DJ Deebar 10:48 PM - 8 March, 2011
Can you use LPD8 with VDJ 7.0? together with a Laptop? I'm trying to do some expirement on that...
Akswun 5:10 PM - 28 March, 2011
ok so I just bought an LPD8 ... read the thread up and down....

I can map out prog1 and 2

problems
-when I map out prog 3 and try to go back to prog 1 or 2 the mapping I did are screwed up and don't work

What I'm trying to achieve is 4 different banks... I can get 2 of them to work but when i move on to 3 everything is mashed up. I've reassigned the CCs through the editor from 1-16. Even did this for all 3 progs. I've saved the presets in serato as well.

What am I doing wrong? when choosing a program do i have to hit pad or cc? I've been using pad and it works for the first 2 programs but 3 seems to mess it all up. If I can figure this out I'll make an extensive guide.
Akswun 5:18 PM - 28 March, 2011
I'm using 2.1
Akswun 5:36 PM - 28 March, 2011
ok I kinda figured out the problem but no fix.....

It looks like I have to load each midi setup in serato and then choose the bank that was assigned... ie. Program 1 then go to setup and load setup1(or user1)

Is there a way to go straight loading the setup through the LPD8 without going to the setup screen to load the different setting? or will I have to do load each setting each time I want to use a different bank? If so I think I'm going to return this :/
BERTO 12:12 AM - 29 March, 2011
Read my post on this
BERTO 12:17 AM - 29 March, 2011
I can email you my midi setting pm me
wtfbollos 2:15 PM - 7 April, 2011
you need to plug in the lpd8 after you boot up ssl..taken me about an hour to work that out :/

i've got one of the buttons as a toggle, but i have to press it twice each time to trigger the toggle, i'm using it to switch on an effect, anyone know how i can set it so when it's on it's on and when it's off, it's off?!

cheers :)
wtfbollos 2:22 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
you have to switch the mapping in serato to the correct midi message type.

press the c key while the mouse is over the control you have mapped to youre LPD8 and it will cycle through the different modes.

one of them will give you the behavior you're looking for.

bingo thx!

now all i need to do is turn off volume sensitivity for sample triggers..
mat the alien 3:22 AM - 10 August, 2011
did anyone find a easy way to do this ive tried the editor a few times seems to work sometimes then doesn't
alh61266 1:38 PM - 8 October, 2011
lots of posts here .. I primarily do alot of loops with instant doubles. I use the SL4. is this piece worth the $100? is it totally mapable.. dials and pads?
BERTO 1:45 PM - 8 October, 2011
Not 100 dollars its like 55-65 dollars
BERTO 1:45 PM - 8 October, 2011
Yes totally mapable
mat the alien 4:54 PM - 8 October, 2011
I like the lpd for the sampler but like the trigger finger for cues then you can use all 5
And other pads for anything else you use a lot
alh61266 9:59 PM - 9 October, 2011
i got it for $42 at guitar center because of "columbus day" sale? still cannot map it on SL4 on secondary decks.
Akswun 2:09 PM - 15 October, 2011
yeah the LPD8 has been on sale as of recent. Under $50.

alh61266... I don't have a SL4 but a SL1. what do you mean you cant map it on secondary decks?

I use all 4 banks...
Bank 1: hot cues for both sides 1-4, 5-8
Bank 2: mapped to the DjFx using the pads to activate and knobs for wet and dry
Bank 3: SP6
Bank 4: 1/2, 2, 4, 8 bar loops
Takes a little getting used too but I've gig'd with it. I have a 56 and it changes the dynamic of it all. I prefer the LPD8 over the dicers. The akai pads are perfect!
alh61266 12:55 AM - 19 October, 2011
got a slight issue. i am mapped on the LDP8 program 1 for left deck, program 2 for right side deck, BUT when i am off midi mapping program and on REL my left and right decks are acting in duplicate on both program 1 and 2. for example i set for the first cue... both effected and so on and so on
Dj Nyce 9:49 PM - 22 October, 2011
all buttons have the same cc #. so even though you are in program 2 and a different note # is being triggered, the same cc# is being triggered as in program 1.

the way around this is if you want a pad or knob to control only one parameter in a specific program you need to make sure that no other pad or knob in that program or any other program has the same cc#.

so if you want program 1 only left cues, program 2, 3, 4 must have different cc# than program 1.

if you want a pad or knob to have the same function regardless of what program you are in, make sure the cc# are the same.

i have all pads as as different cc's, some of the knob's on different cc's and some of the knob's on same cc's.
BERTO 12:24 AM - 24 October, 2011
I went into control software and changed all ccs to diff numbers so each bank doesnt trigger same midi mapping
mat the alien 8:13 PM - 25 October, 2011
yeaah different ccs and i realised the lpd editor has to have all other usb deviced unplugged to work
got it all set up eventually
CLK 12:04 PM - 9 November, 2011
Greetings,
I own an Akai LPD8, I've succesfully mapped it to Serato SL1 sw.
ver. 2.3.1 and saved the settings.
Is it possible to export the settings in any kind of file and
transfer it to another computer (via flash disc) so I don't need to
do the mapping on other PC's all over again? Or is there any other
way to transfer the settings?
Thank you for your answer.
P.K.
BERTO 12:50 PM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Greetings,
I own an Akai LPD8, I've succesfully mapped it to Serato SL1 sw.
ver. 2.3.1 and saved the settings.
Is it possible to export the settings in any kind of file and
transfer it to another computer (via flash disc) so I don't need to
do the mapping on other PC's all over again? Or is there any other
way to transfer the settings?
Thank you for your answer.
P.K.

Yes the editor file, two your midi file in serato folder
djwerd77 11:02 PM - 1 December, 2011
Is anyone using the LPD8 with the TTM-57SL? I like to use the LPD8 for the dj fx and I use the midi on the 57 for cue points and to scroll through crates and tracks. After an hour or so the midi on my 57 will freeze up and no longer work. Im still able to use my mixer but have to use the keyboard to scroll tracks. Has this happened to anyone else? I just got a 15" MacBook Pro and this issue is still happening. Thanks.
dj_soo 11:19 PM - 1 December, 2011
i would throw a post in the help section - include all the details including your version of scratchlive, 57 firmware, type of computer you have, etc. etc.
Chris Cracknell 12:04 PM - 3 March, 2012
Can I make the lights on the pad stay on, so that I can see when I have an effect on?
Dj Nyce 8:23 PM - 3 March, 2012
Yes if you switch To control change. The problem is that you need to send a cc MSG twice for the pad to light up. You'll need to send another 2 to turn the light off.

There are some hacks in traktor that lets it light up properly but this cannot be done in serato.
Chris Cracknell 10:19 AM - 7 March, 2012
I'll have a look in the manual, maybe email Akai to see if there is a firmware thing they can do?

Seems like lots of things work in Traktor and not Serato.
dj_soo 11:20 AM - 7 March, 2012
serato has no midi out - simple as that.
Dj Nyce 12:17 PM - 7 March, 2012
Quote:
serato has no midi out - simple as that.

once again in 2012 basic features such as midi out has been overlooked or omitted.
DJ Wonder - Hardtime Productions 2:56 AM - 2 January, 2013
The pads can be configured correctly to light up. Must be in CC mode and you must select the correct midi map option in serato ie. relative on/off worked for me. If you have any question message me.

Old thread so I am sure most have resolved this already.
Dj Jong 4:43 PM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
yeah the LPD8 has been on sale as of recent. Under $50.

alh61266... I don't have a SL4 but a SL1. what do you mean you cant map it on secondary decks?

I use all 4 banks...
Bank 1: hot cues for both sides 1-4, 5-8
Bank 2: mapped to the DjFx using the pads to activate and knobs for wet and dry
Bank 3: SP6
Bank 4: 1/2, 2, 4, 8 bar loops
Takes a little getting used too but I've gig'd with it. I have a 56 and it changes the dynamic of it all. I prefer the LPD8 over the dicers. The akai pads are perfect!

Hi Just wondering if you can share the mappings? let me know thanks
dj_soo 4:56 AM - 24 March, 2013
before I got a 62, I used to run an lpd8 and dicers with the lpd focuing mainly on effects and things like instant doubles and key lock on/off...

Don't really need that with the 62 anymore tho...