Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

VCI-300 power adapter...doesn't seem to work

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
StevenWayne 6:09 AM - 28 October, 2009
Product: itch
Version: 1.1
Hardware: vestax-vci-300
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.6
---

i have a question regarding the power adapter for the vci-300. i picked one up at radio shack, the same one most folks around here are using. i'm not sure if i'm doing this right, but i dont seem to be getting power into the vci when using this adapter. i plug the adapter in, select the swith to ADAPTER, and the unit doesnt power up. am i doing something wrong? when i have the computer and usb cable hooked up (without the adapter plugged in), i select the switch to USB POWER, and alls good and everything powers up. i'm assuming that when the computer is disconnected and i have the power adapter plugged in and select the switch to ADAPTER, this should power up the unit....right?? for some reason, it's not powering up. any suggestions?
Serato
Aroha 2:01 AM - 29 October, 2009
Hi StevenWayne, no it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Perhaps there is something wrong with the power supply? Can you try another one?
StevenWayne 4:33 AM - 29 October, 2009
hey there. i took the adapter back to radio shack and they tested it with a volt meter, and all registered good. i'm starting to think that i might have a bad vci300. i tried a few things out tonight. i plugged in my ipod to the the THRU and heard a very low volumed signal from it. i tried switching the THRU to PC and back, then all of a sudden, i get no sound now. i've tried several combinations (USB POWER to ADAPTOR and THRU to PC), but cant seem to figure this out. i dont think it should be this complicated. any suggestions would be great.

one of my main question is...if the computer is completely unplugged from the vci, and i have the adaptor plugged in, and the switch set to ADAPTOR, should the unit power on and light up?
DeezNotes 7:29 PM - 29 October, 2009
I always wondered the same thing. I'll try to give this a try (if I have a PS that will fit).
Serato
Aroha 10:08 PM - 29 October, 2009
Yes, the power light should illuminate if you're using the power supply and have it set to Adaptor. It could well be that there is something up with your VCI-300. I'll get in touch with one of the guys from Vestax, who can give you info on what to do from here. Hold tight :)
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 12:34 AM - 30 October, 2009
Dear: Steve

Can you please give me the specs of this power adapter from Radio Shack please.
Sometimes there are issues with the power adapters tip being on backwards. Does this adapter have a tip like this? If so reverse it and try that.

Also if the unit does not turn on at all it could be due to the power adapter shorting out the unit. Here is the link to our distributors so we can get you the help needed to get this issue resolved.

CONTACT INFO: U.S.A.
American Music & Sound 5304 Derry Avenue #C Agoura Hills, CA 91301
phone: 866-474-7711 fax: 818-597-0411
www.americanmusicandsound.com

Thank you for your time and post on the Serato ITCH forums

Thank you,
Carl
Vestax USA
StevenWayne 1:29 AM - 2 November, 2009
hi carl. thanks for the response. ok, i might've figured this out. i've reversed the polarity on the adaptor, and alls good now. oddly, i'm doing the opposite of what the instruction manual (of the adaptor) says, and now it works. i was hesitant of doing this cuz i know that reversing polarities could posibly smoke the adaptor or the unit, but looks like it worked. thanks again for the suggestion.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 7:04 PM - 2 November, 2009
Hey Steven

I know what you mean. I did the same thing at a club when i was djing and saved the day! Good thing i remembered about positive and negative :) Also the adapter is hard to see cause it is white and not marked well. Have fun with the Vestax VCI-300!!!

Thank you,
Carl
chims 12:03 AM - 14 December, 2009
This is some scary ass shit to test out. I had the same issue here and I did what StevenWayne did—put the tip on my radioshack PS to + instead of - and the power worked. No smoke, everything works still. WHEW!
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 6:32 PM - 14 December, 2009
Yea i have not seen a unit get fried from the power adapter, but you have to be careful when you buy the aftermarket brands.

Thank you,
Carl
1:16 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.