DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Building Energy

automagp68 11:04 PM - 27 October, 2009
Hey guys

I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas

Im very new to SL3 and serato in general. A promoter friend of mine asked me for a cd. Ive never really done a big club before and this is kinda my little shot at the big dream. So here is my question.

What is the key to building energy in a set. I know there are going to be a million opinions on this, ( read the crowd. blah blah etc etc) but id like to hear them any way. Right now i need to put together a 30 or 40 min mix of all banging stuff. Last hour material. Im just curious what everyone thinks about a real banging demo cd. The club im going for is your typical dance club, mostly top40 remixes and some house music mixed with a few classics. If any one has any track suggestions on bangers right now that would be awsome as well. Thanks again!
DJ AFS 11:25 PM - 27 October, 2009
Whoa buddy.

Mixes ( for a point of reference):
Register @ SKAM Artist's website and listen to their mixes, they know what's up
Goto Beezo and listen to all of the Deckstar dude's mixes, they also know whats up

Tracks:
Goto Crooklyn Clan, Crack 4 DJs, Rated H, Strictly Hits for "hot remixes"
Check radio playlists for what's popular/listen your local top 40 radio station.

Building Energy:
Go out to the most crackin spot in town and see how the dj does it.

Good luck with that.....
mastermind 11:28 PM - 27 October, 2009
Quote:
Hey guys

Im very new to SL3 and serato in general. A promoter friend of mine asked me for a cd. Ive never really done a big club before and this is kinda my little shot at the big dream. So here is my question.

What is the key to building energy in a set. I know there are going to be a million opinions on this, ( read the crowd. blah blah etc etc) but id like to hear them any way. Right now i need to put together a 30 or 40 min mix of all banging stuff. Last hour material. Im just curious what everyone thinks about a real banging demo cd. The club im going for is your typical dance club, mostly top40 remixes and some house music mixed with a few classics. If any one has any track suggestions on bangers right now that would be awsome as well. Thanks again!

Sorry to be a downer for you but if you have to ask then YOU ARE NOT READY!!!
djbigboy 11:40 PM - 27 October, 2009
I was kinda thinking the same thing...everyone has their own way of building energy...sometimes its quick mixing and getting a reaction...sometimes its just programming...sometimes its just a matter of getting a flow of non stop music (no breaks or sudden drops)...sometimes its just a matter of clean mixing and not disturbing the groove...

good luck!!!
FreshMess 11:55 PM - 27 October, 2009
Quote:
Whoa buddy.

Mixes ( for a point of reference):
Register @ SKAM Artist's website and listen to their mixes, they know what's up
Goto Beezo and listen to all of the Deckstar dude's mixes, they also know whats up

Tracks:
Goto Crooklyn Clan, Crack 4 DJs, Rated H, Strictly Hits for "hot remixes"
Check radio playlists for what's popular/listen your local top 40 radio station.

Building Energy:
Go out to the most crackin spot in town and see how the dj does it.

Good luck with that.....

+1...thats whatt i always say to randoms that ask me....
DJ Benny B 12:06 AM - 28 October, 2009
just play the songs the crowd will like and that 90% of them will be able to singalong to. during the last hour they want classics and shit they know.
FreshMess 12:10 AM - 28 October, 2009
yup def...throw some zingers in there.. u think they wont expect at the club...thats are classic.. dont play a crooked i track from his 97 mixtape..lol
automagp68 3:28 AM - 28 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys

Sorry to be a downer for you but if you have to ask then YOU ARE NOT READY!!!

If you arnt going to be helpful then shut up. Its not worth listeing to you. Its not that im not ready genius ive been djing my whole life. I go to the club 4 nights a week and hang out with all the other dj's that work there. How you think i got the job? Duh. I just was hoping for a few pointers from some dudes that have been in club land for a long time besides the guys i know. Not someone to shoot there mouth off. Take it eleswhere. Thanks to all with the ideas. I use crooklyn and crack 4 now and have been for a long time. 9 inch isnt bad also.
DJDaveOtt 3:35 AM - 28 October, 2009
If you've been DJing your whole life, then you should know this....man.
automagp68 3:46 AM - 28 October, 2009
So because i ask the opinion of some other people how THEY build energy automatically means that i dont know how? How about i was looking for some suggestions. This is why i never bout serato, because this is the b/s u get on the serato boards. Ive been on VDJ for years and the denon boards and u never get any of this crap. Just nice guys over there always looking to help. I forgot serato people are gods gift to the universe so asking an opinion on how they build energy make the asking person an idiot! Thanks again for the help. Just close the thread because its useless to get help here
DJDaveOtt 4:02 AM - 28 October, 2009
Don't get ur panties in a bunch dude... Relax. Just a lot of ball bustin on these boards..
DJS/R 4:11 AM - 28 October, 2009
Dude, its not that people are hating neccessarily, its just that if I had to describe club djing in one word, it would be energy. So that would leave many people skeptical when you come on here and ask a question that only EXPERIENCE can answer.

Also, you have to realize this board has tons of guys who join that same day, and ask for playlist help... actually almost like everyday, and it does get annoying. To me/(Us) our music and Playlist is how we distinguish ourselves, and how we make our money. So it is going to be difficult to get much more than some hints or suggestions, because usually too much more than that, is just too much.

With that said: Energy USUALLY (word used loosely) can be equated to bpm. But just because a song has a high bpm does not make it high energy. Take the OG Day and Night- Kid Cudi... One of the most chill 138 bpm songs I have every heard.
Energy is really off reading crowds and what gets them going. For me it usually starts with some classics around 75-100 bpms to get everyone going then building up to the bangers at around 126-132 range.

But this is a VERY loose "guideline" if you will, every night is different.

So that is my advice.

I would also advise that next time you post that you have "djing your whole life" in your post.

Also, can't wait for sixx to get on this. *Thread Tracked*
DJDaveOtt 4:15 AM - 28 October, 2009
Oh, and by the way, I've been on both vdj and denon boards. They suck (no homo) what I'm sayin is, you ate going to get wisecracks like that here. But what you can learn here greatly outweighs what the other boards can't teach you, even though they are polite...

We are like a large family here.. We bust each others balls on here all the time. So welcome to the serato family. ;)
DJDaveOtt 4:20 AM - 28 October, 2009
Quote:

Also, can't wait for sixx to get on this.

oh boy..
•tracked•
automagp68 4:35 AM - 28 October, 2009
Quote:
Oh, and by the way, I've been on both vdj and denon boards. They suck (no homo) what I'm sayin is, you ate going to get wisecracks like that here. But what you can learn here greatly outweighs what the other boards can't teach you, even though they are polite...

We are like a large family here.. We bust each others balls on here all the time. So welcome to the serato family. ;)

Thanks

Quote:
Dude, its not that people are hating neccessarily, its just that if I had to describe club djing in one word, it would be energy. So that would leave many people skeptical when you come on here and ask a question that only EXPERIENCE can answer.

Also, you have to realize this board has tons of guys who join that same day, and ask for playlist help... actually almost like everyday, and it does get annoying. To me/(Us) our music and Playlist is how we distinguish ourselves, and how we make our money. So it is going to be difficult to get much more than some hints or suggestions, because usually too much more than that, is just too much.

With that said: Energy USUALLY (word used loosely) can be equated to bpm. But just because a song has a high bpm does not make it high energy. Take the OG Day and Night- Kid Cudi... One of the most chill 138 bpm songs I have every heard.
Energy is really off reading crowds and what gets them going. For me it usually starts with some classics around 75-100 bpms to get everyone going then building up to the bangers at around 126-132 range.

But this is a VERY loose "guideline" if you will, every night is different.

So that is my advice.

I would also advise that next time you post that you have "djing your whole life" in your post.

Also, can't wait for sixx to get on this. *Thread Tracked*

Thanks
DJDaveOtt 4:47 AM - 28 October, 2009
Do we need to hug it out? Group hug!
enoise 5:15 AM - 28 October, 2009
If you ask me , no matter what some people say, in your set you should have tracks that bring the atmosphere down just for a little bit, to make the new bangin tracks more significant and more hype. If you play the 10 newest, hottest tracks after one another, crowd won't respond to it AS hype.
DJDaveOtt 5:19 AM - 28 October, 2009
^^agreed.
It's like a rollercoaster..up and down.
DJDaveOtt 5:24 AM - 28 October, 2009
Sixxx forgot his flamethrower... I'm shocked. I guess he figures we flamed him enough..
kryptonitednb 5:30 AM - 28 October, 2009
There is an interesting article on Mixed In Key's forum about building energy on the dance floor using harmonic mixing:

community.mixedinkey.com

I have been dj'ing for about 12 years now and just started using MIK when I got Serato. I have tried the tips in the article and have had good results. Only thing I don't like is that sometimes I feel too robot like. With that said, the theory behind it is sound.
djbigboy 8:59 PM - 28 October, 2009
I think if you dj with any amount of regularity, you will kinda get that robotic feeling, that you have played every song to death....

About the forum, you gotta have a tough skin to roll through here...

Anyone ever get the feeling that everyone hates our forum, but its because we are honest, and don't like bs? I have trolled around other forums, and for the most part, they seem to have a lot of beginners looking for free <insert what you want here> .

I don't think people mind sharing and giving advice but its pretty routine for someone to buy serato, come into the forum and ask how to set up their gear...they get that for a cuople of weeks, then ask for "where doyou get your music" then its how do I set up my crates, how do I get a club gig....

There are certain lines that most djs won't cross, at least experienced ones, but the inexperienced ones, they'll pretty much do and ask whatever they can to try to get ahead, we are only hoping that these peeps learn from real experience...

I thought this was a good topic...er, think its a good topic, but its also one of those things where a lot of djs like to keep certain secrets to themselves
djbigboy 9:03 PM - 28 October, 2009
wow that mixed in key artlcle is crazy - why do people get into such high detail into the technical aspects? As technical as we are, I can't dig in that deep, plus I think with a lot of djing, its not all technical, its also programming and emotional....if you ignore all that and just went into the technical aspects of djing, I dunno....
Audio1 9:19 PM - 28 October, 2009
You gotta reach down within yourself and find the groove.

Hahhaha J/K

But seriously, Its really up to you to decide how to build the energy. If you know your keys, Thats one way to build energy LEVELZZZ, drop em then bring em back up. Sometimes its just the vibe or the music you are playing. No one is perfect from the get go. I think way too many new people to DJing want instant gratification and getting your programming/crowd rocking abilities take time, effort and gaining knowledge thru experience.

This year alone with the deaths of DJ AM and Michael Jackson happening, Its made for some pretty interesting nights of genre-bending around the world. You have to take into account your crowd and what they like but definitely rock it your way. Never give in too much.
sixxx 10:04 PM - 28 October, 2009
Quote:
Sixxx forgot his flamethrower... I'm shocked. I guess he figures we flamed him enough..

Never. It's been on recharge mode.

------

So here it goes.

First of all, (and it has been said already) that you can't ask these types of questions if you've, in fact, been DJing all your life. And also, if you hang out with other DJ's, and you haven't asked them already - or you asked them and they think you suck so therefore they don't want to help you - that should tell you something.

Then, you have the whole "Whaaaaa.. I'm used to VDJ... waaaahhhh... kids in the other board treat me better and they let me play with their balls". Yeah. I said balls.

With that kind of attitude, you're going to get flamed more.

So, #1 rule of SSL forums is:

1. Don't come asking for help then pretend you don't need it because you have been DJing all you're life. Or, pretend that you've been DJing all your life because it's a message board and you think people won't catch the lie.

------

.... and before I forget, here's the helpful part of my post:

You say you go to clubs 4 times a day. Well, go to the club you're trying to get and listen to what they play. Then, discard all the fucked up mash ups and remixes they might be using and concentrate on original material that is in fact, energetic, without the need for fatman hamburger scoop of ice cream to be yelling on the mic over the whole damn song.
mastermind 10:10 PM - 28 October, 2009
like i said before..... IF YOU HAVE TO ASK,THEN YOUR NOT READY!
eder 10:20 PM - 28 October, 2009
Hey guys can someone give me a list of good songs to put in my next mix? I listen to the radio and go to clubs all the time and I've been DJing since I was 3 but I still have no idea what to put in my demo nor do I know what any popular, high-energy song is called.

Thanks I'm new.
mastermind 10:24 PM - 28 October, 2009
lol
djbigboy 11:30 PM - 28 October, 2009
ha
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:45 AM - 29 October, 2009
I'll be Mr Nice Guy and give you a lil tiny tip that I have learned in my 25+ years of spinning....

Start at a Higher BPM and work down NOT up on occaision. Let's say you playing BEP - Boom Boom Pow which is 128 IIRC, try and find a song with energy that is a lower BPM (126). Songs played slightly faster have the perception of more energy.

Of course this depends on WHAT the song is (if it has "energy" to begin with) but if your next song was 132 and you are playing on "green" it may reduce energy slightly because it may sound like it is dragging....

Don't do this all night because eventually everything will be chipmunking @ +8, but that is where programming and knowing your songs kicks in.

As others has said, it is a rollercoaster, energy should build and slightly decline over the course of the night (people may go drink when energy drops - flip the floor - bar makes money - owner is happy).

Ok, continue flaming...
automagp68 1:23 AM - 29 October, 2009
This thread is so unproductive and full of b/s im not going to waste my time replying to any of this.
I wasnt asking for secrets genius. I was asking for opinions. I know how i would do it.

And i forgot that because all you guys here are verterans at the club life. SUPOSIDLY that your to good to offer help. You would rather shoot off your mouth. Thats why this board has a bad rap. I may have just bought sl3 but that doesnt mean i dont have a clue. Ive been spinning vinyl and cds for years and just got sick of carrying media around.

I will no longer reply to this waste of bandwith on the site. Thanks to all that offered opinions and the rest of you that did nothing but bash me probably didnt offer suggestions because they DONT HAVE ANY!!! because there gear doesnt leave the BEDROOM!!

Carry on!
sixxx 1:25 AM - 29 October, 2009
The Waaaaambulance just came to pick you up, didn't it? lol
eder 2:36 AM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
This thread is so unproductive and full of b/s im not going to waste my time replying to any of this.
I wasnt asking for secrets genius. I was asking for opinions. I know how i would do it.

And i forgot that because all you guys here are verterans at the club life. SUPOSIDLY that your to good to offer help. You would rather shoot off your mouth. Thats why this board has a bad rap. I may have just bought sl3 but that doesnt mean i dont have a clue. Ive been spinning vinyl and cds for years and just got sick of carrying media around.

I will no longer reply to this waste of bandwith on the site. Thanks to all that offered opinions and the rest of you that did nothing but bash me probably didnt offer suggestions because they DONT HAVE ANY!!! because there gear doesnt leave the BEDROOM!!

Carry on!

1. I rarely spin clubs.

2. If you have a cap on your bandwidth you're failing at life.
eder 2:39 AM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
the rest of you that did nothing but bash me probably didnt offer suggestions because they DONT HAVE ANY!!! because there gear doesnt leave the BEDROOM!!

Carry on!

1. it's "their", not "there"

2. I must have a warehouse for a bedroom then: djdg.la
DJ Michael Basic 2:42 AM - 29 October, 2009
Hey...I've only been Djing for 2 weeks, not all my life like that other guy...but the way I build energy is...drugs. Lots of drugs.
sixxx 3:08 AM - 29 October, 2009
lol
DJS/R 3:17 AM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
because there gear doesnt leave the BEDROOM!!

Actually, you are right. You got me there. My equipment does stay in the bedroom, but that is only because at my club THE TURNTABLES ARE ALREADY IN THE BOOTH. haha.

Also, I see that you have caused trouble before. as seen here: scratchlive.net

It seems to me like you are:
Quote:
the b/s u get on the serato boards.
sixxx 3:21 AM - 29 October, 2009
Good find DJS/R.... it amazes me when people DON'T CONTRIBUTE SHIT TO THIS FORUM then, talk crap about it. Listen, contribute first, talk shit later. lol
sacrilicious 3:31 AM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
fatman hamburger scoop of ice cream to be yelling on the mic over the whole damn song.

Haha A+
Swizzle 6:00 AM - 29 October, 2009
I dont say this often but...........automag is a lil Spark-plug!

Some great advice has already been given in this thread automag, stop worrying about the other stuff.

I have a mix on Beezo and i think it's cute :)
Caramac 10:08 AM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
like i said before..... IF YOU HAVE TO ASK,THEN YOUR NOT READY!

Agreed and adding to this in the nicest possible way but if you've been doing it for as long as you said then maybe djing isn't for you. No bullying or anything but maybe you have talents that lay elsewhere. Not everyone is a dj or a rapper or a chef or a lawyer or whatever they would like to be.
DJ Shameless 10:42 AM - 29 October, 2009
i couldn't resist... so i googled it.
www.buildingenergyus.com
CMOS 4:44 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
SUPOSIDLY

Wtf is that?
sixxx 5:02 PM - 29 October, 2009
He says there's an idle suppository in his ass.
mastermind 5:36 PM - 29 October, 2009
lol
DJDaveOtt 8:40 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
Good find DJS/R.... it amazes me when people DON'T CONTRIBUTE SHIT TO THIS FORUM then, talk crap about it. Listen, contribute first, talk shit later. lol

+10000
sixxx 9:13 PM - 29 October, 2009
hahahahaha. That's a classic misquote Steve Dub. Well done sir.
DJS/R 9:14 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys

I was hoping you guys could give me some advice

Im very new to sex and women general. An older friend of mine asked me if I knew how to do "it". Ive never really done "it" before and this is kinda my little shot at the big dream. So here is my question.

What is the key to building energy in bed. I know there are going to be a million opinions on this, ( read the vagina. blah blah etc etc) but id like to hear them any way. Right now i need to keep my penis hard for 30 or 40 min so I could bang that stuff. Im just curious what everyone thinks about really banging a hot chick. The sex im going for is your typical cougar, mostly 40yr old house wife mixed with a few ass licks. If any one has any suggestions on banging right now that would be awsome as well. Thanks again!

If you have to ask..............

HaHaHaHa, that is great.

Wait, I thought you have been having sex your whole life? HaHa
DJDaveOtt 9:21 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
Wait, I thought you have been having sex your whole life? HaHa

i guess that includes being molested...
sixxx 9:23 PM - 29 October, 2009
lol DJDaveOtt.... playing with your weenie all by yourself doesn't not mean having sex your whole life. :P

hahaha
CMOS 9:24 PM - 29 October, 2009
It does the way i do it.
DJS/R 9:25 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
It does the way i do it.

+1 (No Homo) haha
sixxx 9:29 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
It does the way i do it.

hahaha!
sixxx 9:29 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
It does the way i do it.

+1 (No Homo) haha

lol
mastermind 9:30 PM - 29 October, 2009
jajajajajaja
DJDaveOtt 9:33 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
lol DJDaveOtt.... playing with your weenie all by yourself doesn't not mean having sex your whole life. :P

hahaha

Damn, I'm busted...
DJS/R 10:22 PM - 29 October, 2009
Quote:
Damn, I'm busted...

Busted? Wait, what did you bust? (No Homo x2)
Martin McFly 5:54 AM - 30 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys

I was hoping you guys could give me some advice

Im very new to sex and women general. An older friend of mine asked me if I knew how to do "it". Ive never really done "it" before and this is kinda my little shot at the big dream. So here is my question.

What is the key to building energy in bed. I know there are going to be a million opinions on this, ( read the vagina. blah blah etc etc) but id like to hear them any way. Right now i need to keep my penis hard for 30 or 40 min so I could bang that stuff. Im just curious what everyone thinks about really banging a hot chick. The sex im going for is your typical cougar, mostly 40yr old house wife mixed with a few ass licks. If any one has any suggestions on banging right now that would be awsome as well. Thanks again!

If you have to ask..............

eff'g classic
Caramac 8:44 AM - 30 October, 2009
ha ha you've been Initiated.
DJ-NEO 10:16 AM - 30 October, 2009
F***ing cry baby not evan me and im a new booty. . . . bet i can spin better than this guy lol ;)
Jader 2:06 PM - 30 October, 2009
Quote:
Hey guys can someone give me a list of good songs to put in my next mix? I listen to the radio and go to clubs all the time and I've been DJing since I was 3 but I still have no idea what to put in my demo nor do I know what any popular, high-energy song is called.

Thanks I'm new.

pretty much
isaiahjeremiah 9:25 PM - 1 November, 2009
+1 to this discussion.
DJ TOGTFO 9:31 PM - 1 November, 2009
just press teh "crush it" button... its the new easter egg on 1.9.3