Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Serato Needs to the Fix Needle Tracking Problems

mattice 8:16 AM - 22 October, 2009
I'm sure anyone who uses the SSL with control vinyl knows what I'm talking about, when you are playing a song and the needle stops tracking the record properly and the music cuts out to this scratchy, distorted noise mid-set. I've tried everything, cleaning my control records, carrying a brush to get the dust off of the vinyl, constantly wiping my needles, I even purchased the digitrack needles. However, none of these seemed to completely fix the problem stated earlier. I know this problem is happening to many DJs, for example Hi-Tek came to Toronto about a month ago and it happened to him mid-set and he caught himself some boos. Second example is the video posted interviewing A-Trak a while back Watchvimeo.com.

We all love the way SSL has recreated the feel of vinyl, but there needs to be a way to stop this problem from happening. Maybe come out with your own needles. I don't know how you would technically go about fixing this problem, but I know every DJ using the control vinyl would love SSL that much more if there were no more needle tracking issues.
KaBoom 9:16 AM - 22 October, 2009
-Do you calibrate properly, including the thingy for background noise interference?

-Check the contacts on the tone arm, I clean them with a cotton bud and isopropol alcohol. I've lost a channel on the deck before and it's done that.

-Dust bunnies.

-Some processors just don't like serato, my bro has a turion and it fucks out from time to time, with all the set up and shit sweet. Could be your laptop.
mattice 9:42 AM - 22 October, 2009
Yes, I do all of these things and I have a new macbook so that isn't the problem.

But the purpose of this post was to get rid of all this headache, such as checking the contacts on the tone arm. I play in a different club every night of the week, not all of the turntables are going to be perfect, in reality most of them are in bad condition. Also, in a loud club the needles are naturally going to vibrate, especially when the monitors are in the booth. I understand that it's not SSL's job to work with crappy turntables, but if there is a way around this whole headache it should be looked into.

What I am suggesting is not an easy fix, I don't want to use CDJs, I don't want to constantly be replacing/cleaning needles and records and I don't want to be checking my calibration settings every other song I play. What I want is to just plug in my SSL, throw on a pair of records and play out with never having to worry about tracking problems. I know a lot of DJs would agree with me on this one. I don't expect something like this to come out in version 1.9.3, but maybe somewhere down the road (2.0 maybe) us as DJs will never have to worry about tracking problems again.
s3kn0tr0n1c 3:09 PM - 22 October, 2009
all you need to do is wipe needle every new song you put on...

i do it by quickly pressin "int"

lift needle, wipe dust off

put needle back near start of record then back into "rel"

i very rarely get this problem but my friends do all the time and thats when were all in my living room using the same setup........keep telling em keep yer needles clean
s3kn0tr0n1c 3:10 PM - 22 October, 2009
and thers a meter that goes red to warn you way before it happens anyway so keep an aye on that
KaBoom 10:20 PM - 22 October, 2009
that meter on above the virtual deck shows the quality of the signal coming off the control vinyl, will turn red if there's a dust bunny on the needle, the turntable's dropped a channel, the control vinyl's dirty, there's no earth, or too much background noise.

I always flick back to the setup scope any time the signal isn't perfect, to check what the problem is.

check this to diagnose.

scratchlive.net
KaBoom 10:40 PM - 22 October, 2009
Quote:
But the purpose of this post was to get rid of all this headache, such as checking the contacts on the tone arm. I play in a different club every night of the week, not all of the turntables are going to be perfect, in reality most of them are in bad condition. Also, in a loud club the needles are naturally going to vibrate, especially when the monitors are in the booth. I understand that it's not SSL's job to work with crappy turntables, but if there is a way around this whole headache it should be looked into.

You gotta put in the time brother, if you ain't gonna do the setup and calibration properly, you're not going to get decent results.

Even if you're just playing actual vinyl, you still need to know how to balance a tonearm and set the weights, clean the contacts on the cart/tonearm, keep your vinyl clean and replace your carts, sounds like you need to show some love to your gear.

I've got a few residencies, over a couple of months I serviced the decks in all of them, calibrated the clock speed (sets the quartz zero in the right place), set the pitch gain (makes sure the pitch does what it says and the decks are matched properly), cleaned and lubed up the pitch faders so they don't wander in the mix, and cleaned the contacts on the tone arms so the contacts onto my carts are sweet.

The only problem I have these days is having a beer to many on the long sets, and pushing a wrong button on my midi controller. ;-)

You only get out what you put in bro.
mattice 11:51 PM - 25 October, 2009
I completely understand this KaBoom, I take care of all my gear, clean it, and make sure it is always serviced properly. The point I've been trying to make is that SSL has already made the DJs life easier, why not continue this trend and develop a product such as a specialized needle to eliminate any tracking problems that may occur. A product like this would definitely make the DJ's life easier because there would never be any embarrassing needle problems and since SSL already dominates the digital DJ market, introducing a specialized needle or a similar product would in turn allow them to dominate the needle market.

I understand that to many people reading this I just sound like a complainer, those are not my intentions. I just see an area where SSL can better their product and help everyone, including the people on this forum, remove a tedious problem out of their life.
Millz 2:04 AM - 26 October, 2009
One way to easily fix this issue would be to have an option within SSL to either enable or disable something like If red tracking meter goes above 80% it will automatically go into INT mode...
nik39 3:18 PM - 26 October, 2009
Quote:
One way to easily fix this issue would be to have an option within SSL to either enable or disable something like If red tracking meter goes above 80% it will automatically go into INT mode...

Nice, so when Jazzy Jeff starts to cutting it up it will go:

abs-int-abs-int-int-rel-rel-int-rel-int - mode?
Joshua Carl 7:37 PM - 26 October, 2009
this sounds like a dust bunny issue for sure...

my first few weeks on SSL this got me a few times.

after some research:

Keeping on record on the platter with felt slip mats & plastic allows for a larger
build up of static. (which we all know)
Groove Glide has a mild anti-static agent in it, and is a quality cleaner.
I hit me CV's once a week with this.
this is PREVENTATIVE maintenance.
during the gig I swipe the Styli after every track, its muscle memory now.
dont even think about it.
also a few times throughout the night I take the groove glide pad (untreated) to
the CVs.

magnetism is something we cant expect technics (panasonic) or Rane to fix for us.
we just have to take the measures to stop it from making us look like a rookie.
Ive still, even after all that, heard the noise starting to creep in and IMMEDIATLY
go into internal mode, clean the record and go back... takes all of 8 seconds.
nik39 8:47 PM - 26 October, 2009
Quote:
magnetism

?
Joshua Carl 9:12 PM - 26 October, 2009
en.wikipedia.org

when the turntable is positively charged it attracts negatively charged things
(IE Dust bunnys)

Im going back to 10th grade here.
nobspangle 10:32 PM - 26 October, 2009
Quote:
en.wikipedia.org

when the turntable is positively charged it attracts negatively charged things
(IE Dust bunnys)

Im going back to 10th grade here.

Magnetism is to do with metals, you're thinking of static en.wikipedia.org

I've always found that dust build up is more of a problem with ortofon carts. Since I switched to sures I've never had a problem.
Joshua Carl 11:38 PM - 26 October, 2009
are you guys serious?

the platter has a HUGE magnet in it.

(not that its the sole cause of dust bunnies...we ALL know that comes from a static electricity charge....)
Millz 12:15 AM - 27 October, 2009
when you guys are scratching, does the red line ever go over 80%? shit if thats the case, just make it so that if it goes and stays over 80% for X amount of time it switches to internal...like i said this could be something that is checked on or off...for club mixshow styled djing that I do, this would be perfect...
mattice 4:30 AM - 27 October, 2009
Quote:
when you guys are scratching, does the red line ever go over 80%? shit if thats the case, just make it so that if it goes and stays over 80% for X amount of time it switches to internal...like i said this could be something that is checked on or off...for club mixshow styled djing that I do, this would be perfect...

Ya I think we are starting to get somewhere, this would be a good way to quickly fix tracking problems if the needles stop tracking mid-song.
KaBoom 6:38 AM - 27 October, 2009
I don't know what I'm doing right, but this NEVER happens to me eh, occasionally I've had the same symptom from a dirty connection onto the cart, but I never get dust bunnies. Perhaps I got that muscle memory thing that someone said and I just pick em off. Hopefully I ain't pickin or scratchin anything I shouldn't while I'm playin.

I do 5-6 hours at a time when I play, no dramas, I use stanton groovemasters.
nik39 8:32 AM - 27 October, 2009
Quote:
the platter has a HUGE magnet in it.

The magnet does not attract dust, unless the dust contains metal.
nobspangle 8:34 AM - 27 October, 2009
Quote:
The magnet does not attract dust, unless the dust contains metal.

Exactly and most dust is made from clothing fibres, hair and dead skin so no metal there.
mattice 4:12 PM - 29 October, 2009
I'm not sure if the CVs already use this but, what if they were built like the old battle records that were anti-skip. They used deeper grooves, so even if there is some wear and tear on the CVs the needle would still go over the damaged part of the record without a hiccup.
DJ Heigh7' 4:36 PM - 4 November, 2009
Dust on the needles and worn out control records. I clean my needles every 30 mins or so when I mix, and buy new control records every 5 to 6 shows to make sure they are not worn out. That really helped me out when I had this issue as well.

Good luck!
mattice 1:15 AM - 5 November, 2009
Every 5 to 6 shows?! Wow, thats a lot of money unnecessarily spent if you ask me.
nobspangle 5:29 PM - 8 November, 2009
Quote:
Every 5 to 6 shows?! Wow, thats a lot of money unnecessarily spent if you ask me.

I'd agree, especially if you keep a set just for playing live and use different records when you're at home. I always keep a spare set in my bag, if tracking starts to go suspect I just throw new ones on. The old records can be relegated to scratch practice use.
DJACK5 4:07 PM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:

+1
Eli Lilly 4:02 PM - 2 January, 2010
At some point in either the 1.8 or 1.9 series, it seems like SSL became more sensitive to tracking problems. I posted on here when I first noticed it, a control record I'd been using for ages started creating a small glitch in the music due to a extremely small pop on the control vinyl, but the older versions of SSL tracked it with no problem. Even an out-of-the-wrapper control vinyl will do it, I've ran a test by generating a 1khz sine wave audio file and loading it into SSL, then open a new control vinyl and use it to play back the 1khz tone. I record the audio output into the PC and you can see the minor glitches in the waveform. It's not big or a lot but I've never seen a brand-new control vinyl that wouldn't glitch at least one time in the first 5 minutes. It's just so damn sensitive to pops and clicks now and it wasn't always like that.

-E
antimatter 5:05 AM - 2 June, 2012
I recently purchased the sl-3 bout two months ago. have to say iam extremly dissappointed with it for the same reasons listed above. the control vinyl is just plain crap and i dont get it because its the cheapest part of the whole system. I played on my friends sl-2 for a couple hours and enjoyed it before i bought it. then i get mine and within probably ten tracks pop! then more pops! defintily not dust bunnies. and clening the control vinyl didnt do much either. Asked my friend what was up and he told me its not my needles its the control vinyl is super touchy. He said he bought 2 brand new ones at guitar center when he picked up some new sylus and one of the records had a tiny scratch and sure enuf at 1min37secs it skiped and jumped to 1min 52sec. making it unusable.BRAND NEW! I was like dang wish u wulda told me that before i shelled out $650. Any who tried to take it back to guitar center but it was over the 14 day limit. scott hooked me up wit some new suzuki serato slipmats and 45th anivery picture disks and thats helped some. CANNOT believe serato hooked me up with such lousy control vinyl after i spent the money i spent. This product gets a 2 out of 5 stars and thats only cause of scott. This product makes me yearn for the days before serato came out and everybody was pressin vinyl (at least drum and bass).U c usarecords.com around anymore? wonder why? Really felt i was kindof pushed into to this cause nobody does press vinyl anymore and its cause of this lackluster program. nothing at all like real vinyl. oh and my control vinyl and my friends were definitly the 2.0 version. Serato u f'd the pooch on this one.
Sporadik Styles 11:45 PM - 4 June, 2012
I've never had issues and owned SL-2 for a year or almost a year now. I question if there is a grounding problem. The control records it came with are fine and same with the ones I bought afterwards. I understand feeling forced into though as a junglist, everything now is digital tracks. Even when my 44-7s are crazy dusty and nasty I never have issues with tracking and pops. I question if its the vinyl or something else going on. I noticed with SL-2 its grounded from the RCA outs, not USB or floating ground
antimatter 9:52 AM - 5 June, 2012
I think that my problem also mite have somthin to do wit the software. I saw someone say that they noticed it changed around version 1.9. this is a brand new sl-3 and it has the latest version on it. My guess is that serato improved the sound and didnt improve the control vinyl. Making it super touchy. I have had better luck with these picture discs. Only heard one or two pops so far and they went away with one cleaning. That wasnt the case with the original cv02. I recently ordered a pair of tcv control vinyls off ebay from hollywooddj. they advertise that they are superior to the serato. Lets hope so. I wouldve liked to have purchased some serato performace series but they are no longer available.
I cannot understand at all why serato cares that people are making aftermarket control vinyl for their system. Competition is a great thing. and i have never met a consumer who wanted less options insted of more. All sicwax did is fill a void serato is definitly stugling with. To take that away from your consumer via software is just plain underhanded and malicious. I think im going to write a letter to the BBB and let them know serato is running a monopoly on control vinyl via their software. And how long did it take for tcv to get around your litle 2.0 dealie? People are going to do this no matter what you do. The faster serato embraces this the more succesful thay will be. And isnt it enuff already that we spent hundreds if not thousands of hard earned dollars on your system to begin with?
I also think its time serato dumped stokyo. I know me my friend and a few people on this website have recieved defective vinyl brand spanking new. I honestly believe if u guys look around u will find a much better wax maker in the U.K. or maybe here in the U.S. I really feel like they left serato and their consumers hangin on the performance vinyl. They are no where on ebay either.
I defintly dont think i have a grounding problem. My equipment was bought brand new from guitar center in 04 and consisits of 2 mk5s and a djm-600. Ive kept these babies in mint condition. All the conections are tight and i have calibrated the poop out of serato. I run 44-7s at home and ortofon djs on the road. The computer without running serato plays the tracks fine. Both my needles play real vinyl fine when i use the thru button. It has to be the software or the control vinyl from my point of view.
I know some people probably think im a slacker for not wanting to clean my cv's durring my set. You probaly spin house or trance. Most house tracks are about 8 minutes long and the dj gets about 5 minutes to mix it in. Jungle you gotta cut that time in half cause its a much faster pace and the tracks are shorter. A needle wipe is no big deal. But to clean my cv takes a good 60 secs. I defintly dont have that kindof time nor can i afford the crowd to hear a loud pop every few minutes. An example of how much time means to me is that i put all my album covers into seperate crates and just use white paper sleeves to protect my real vinyl cause it saves a few seconds. Anyone who spins fast paced music will tell u its a realy big deal.
DJ Shash'U 5:42 PM - 5 June, 2012
yea, control signal being lost cause of dust , or dirty contacts in the headshell is obvious,wires too u can figure that out.... but I what I think is a major prob, that happens with SL1 cards, and that I'm afraid might happen to others,... is losing signal down to 0% , but still see a bit of red meter, as if u'd have one more hit b4 u die, and the track is movin suppppperrrrr slowwwwwwww in reverse.. like suppperrrr duper slowww in reverse...., when u try moving the plate, spinnin it fast.. makes the track move a tiny bit,.. but really nothing usable. this has happened using cdj and vinyl turntables. whats also strange, It could happen while being daisy chained, like me every saturdays I mix with my partner, he has SL1 and I SL2, i'm runnin control signal, from his thru connections, and sometimes he'll lose one side, but I'll still get both.. so its not a wire issue.. nore a cdj or vinyl issue... I tried , changing buffer size, flippin line/phono back forth in setting to see if it would react and wake up, I even unplugged n back in Serato, still nothing. the only way to fix it at the moment, is to close serato software & reopen it. ..could it be a power management that might jump and messup the softwares reading or somethin? .. pc or mac both happen. it happens every 15-20 times using SL .. but it happened that it went off twice in one night, and its usually only one side.