DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Underground Hip Hop Acts To Look For

funk21 3:48 AM - 15 August, 2006
Hey ALL,

I've been on the prowl for new and interesting groups(new to me) to look up/into. Here is a sample of some of the ones I've found over the last little while and am really diggin-Little Brother, Edan, Atmospher. Basically intelligent Hip Hop, nothing against that bling bling/Crunked out stuff but not my bag. Any suggestions would be great. Also if there are any break beat artist to look out for say like a Mr. Scruff please forward their names too!!!!.

Thanks
B
DJ Evil One 3:54 AM - 15 August, 2006
yo...if you like shit like that, you should check out older styles of beyond stuff...
funk21 3:41 AM - 17 August, 2006
I've been a fan of Styles of Beyond for a while so thanks for the suggestion. Anybody else out there got suggestions?
double B 9:44 PM - 17 August, 2006
Zion I?
sG 10:43 PM - 17 August, 2006
off the top of my head....

Planet Asia,
Hieroglyphics,
Living Legends,
K-Os,
Eyedea & Abilities
Rambo The Impeccable 10:56 AM - 18 August, 2006
The groups these guys are mentioning have been out for a good while. Here are some up and coming cats worth a listen,

Chapter 13
Deux Process
The Procussions
Strange Fruit Project
Project Move
eder 4:38 PM - 18 August, 2006
murs
cali agents
agent orange
black star
dead prez

i'll think of some more...i'm a bit groggy from my meds
Teknikscian 7:26 PM - 18 August, 2006
sad part is. most of the groups mentioned are old and have been around. no new good hiphop is comin out... im going to cry.
decaman 7:33 PM - 18 August, 2006
keep an eye out for my man from phoenix Rocca Dolla hes sounds like a mix of new dre with rakim and a lil nas but makes club friendly hits...homies sick with it
DJ Jayzon 7:38 PM - 18 August, 2006
The new Defari album had a few nice tracks. Still, the nicest underground hip-hop was released in 95-98 in my opinion.

East Flatbush Project
Concrete Mob
Money Boss Players
Rasco
Red Foo & Dre Koon

Lots of good stuff back then, I might have to do a mixtape of that shit for my own pleasure. Anyone have some song suggestions?
society 7:51 PM - 18 August, 2006
Did you check the Danger Doom album? There's not likely to be another one, but the one they made is pretty good. I didn't like it at first (almost didn't buy it) but it grew on me big time. Check "Mince Meat"--it's the headphone head-noddin' winner in my books.

Also, I don't know much by them, but I heard a track by the Sound Providers the other day and I'm itchin' to buy their album--track was dope.

Good call on Edan--dude is so good!
funk21 3:51 AM - 22 August, 2006
I really like Rosco but every time I try to find stuff of his on the net all I get is some bling bling rapper who can't rhyme to save his life. Hey Love is one of my favs of his. Does anybody know the names of his album's are called(if he has any)?. I know he has done stuff with Peanut Butter Wolf but that's all I know.

As for the Danger Doom album, I listened to it and it was alright. Maybe it as you say one that you need to give it a few listens to!!.

Rambo, I'll take a look out for those cats. Interested in hearing some new sh*t!!.

B
GoodVibez 10:01 PM - 22 August, 2006
Animal Crackers
GoodVibez 10:01 PM - 22 August, 2006
7L and Esoteric
DJBlisk 10:27 PM - 22 August, 2006
I think you're thinking of Rasco.

And his best song is "the unassisted"

ands down, one of best underground songs to come out of the Bay.

Quote:
I really like Rosco but every time I try to find stuff of his on the net all I get is some bling bling rapper who can't rhyme to save his life. Hey Love is one of my favs of his. Does anybody know the names of his album's are called(if he has any)?. I know he has done stuff with Peanut Butter Wolf but that's all I know.

As for the Danger Doom album, I listened to it and it was alright. Maybe it as you say one that you need to give it a few listens to!!.

Rambo, I'll take a look out for those cats. Interested in hearing some new sh*t!!.

B
DiƱolito 10:28 PM - 22 August, 2006
Lone Catalysts
Sound Providers

not too underground, quite mellow, but definitely worth checkin' out live
eder 2:22 PM - 23 August, 2006
on the cartoon network site, you can download free remixes of dangerdoom's stuff...
Living Legends
Felt (Slug and Murs)
Emanon (Aloe BLACC and DJ Exile, this shit is hot)
tig ol' bitties 2:32 PM - 23 August, 2006
a couple of these 100% do not fit in here..well slightly but nto really

Hieroglyphics is my favorite group. They are the most under rated and under appreciated group out there. Every one of the dude possess great skill.
Del - his rhymes and flow and unlike any other. intelligent and untouchable
Pep Love - The fire water wizard, pshh blows away 90% of the rappers in the game
Op - you know he dope, dude is the backbone of the group. His delivery is so on point its sickening.
Nevermind, Tajai, Casual, A plus, Domino (beats), and the other dudes..Hiero was been around since the early 90's if they aint been recongnized by the mass yet it aint gonna happen. I would say Boston reps them the hardest on the east coast tho.

Zion-I as well. Dudes have been around for a hot minute. They already got like 4 albums out. Zion and Amp live are very ill. Amp live reps texas, but they are based out of Oakland and they deliver. Deep Water Slang 2.0 is a very dope album.

Its a shame that two groups like these are still being considered underground and "acts to look for". They are better then 97% of the garbage out right now, and i really hope they break thru soon. These are groups that will not change who they are if they get big and thats what hip hop needs right now.

sorry im bored.
tig ol' bitties 2:32 PM - 23 August, 2006
Quote:
Lone Catalysts
Sound Providers

not too underground, quite mellow, but definitely worth checkin' out live

i feel you on these
b-random 3:57 PM - 23 August, 2006
Lyrics Born
Binary Star
DJ Greyboy
El-P
Sweatshop Union
Cage
DJBlisk 4:08 PM - 23 August, 2006
Blue Scholars - "Commencement Day"

It sounds like a nostalgic 90's track.
GoodVibez 4:29 PM - 23 August, 2006
DJ Sparechange
legacy1281 4:46 PM - 23 August, 2006
If you like smoothed out underground, here are some of my favorites...

DJ Jazzy Jeff - The Magnificent
One Be Lo - S.o.n.o.g.r.a.m.
Foreign Exchange - Connected
Dave Ghetto - love life?

and if you ain't heard the jay-z white album, by kno of cunninlyguists, you don't know what your missing. that's gotta be one of my favorites of all time. i've heard all the other ones too (grey, brown, silver, black album remixes, purple, etc.) and none of them even come close.
tig ol' bitties 4:48 PM - 23 August, 2006
is the white one like all the beatles shit?
djtonypsalms 5:16 PM - 23 August, 2006
Giant Panda
Live Radio
Rhythm Natives
Trek Life

Will add more later... :)

BTW, most of the cats are L.A. based.
legacy1281 5:45 PM - 23 August, 2006
is the white one like all the beatles shit?

No. That's the grey album, by dangermouse. He used Beatles samples from the white album, and used jay-z acappellas from the black album and called it the grey album. The white album is something different all together. Its all beats produced by kno from cunninlynguists and jay-z vocals. It's straight fire though...
DJBlisk 10:30 PM - 23 August, 2006
The white album is ridiculous. It was produced by Dangermouse of now Gnarls Barkley fame. The remix album is what really put him on the map.

Quote:
If you like smoothed out underground, here are some of my favorites...

DJ Jazzy Jeff - The Magnificent
One Be Lo - S.o.n.o.g.r.a.m.
Foreign Exchange - Connected
Dave Ghetto - love life?

and if you ain't heard the jay-z white album, by kno of cunninlyguists, you don't know what your missing. that's gotta be one of my favorites of all time. i've heard all the other ones too (grey, brown, silver, black album remixes, purple, etc.) and none of them even come close.
DiƱolito 11:34 PM - 23 August, 2006
there's also a brown album, all remixes by Kev Brown, another name to remember.
FS2-4salePM @ soon-2-be-ex-FSuser 11:51 PM - 23 August, 2006
underground ? for this u have to using some of the shovel so digging . its too hard? sorry
b-random 1:33 AM - 24 August, 2006
One Be Lo is really good. I was gonna list him but I just posted binary star (his group, now broken up) instead.
funk21 3:29 AM - 24 August, 2006
Thanks for all the heads up. I've just downloaded a bunch of Zion 1 stuff today and it also sounds pretty dope. I had no idea they also were doing D&B stuff. I'm pretty familar with the Hiero stuff all really good recommendations.

As for the Rasco update, good looking out on that front. I'll make sure to follow it up and try and find that joint. Any album names though?
legacy1281 3:37 PM - 24 August, 2006
Yeah people are still getting the Jay-Z White Album (Produced by Kno) mixed up with the Jay-Z Grey Album (Produced by Dangermouse). There is a difference. The White album is hard to find, but if you can find it, then you'll see what I'm talking about. It really blows that Grey album out the water. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a dick cause I like the Grey Album too, just saying that the White Album by Kno is something that is really a must listen...
funkymonks444 1:24 AM - 1 March, 2007
Check out:
POS (my favorite hip hop act of all time)
Sims
Aesop Rock
Brother Ali
Mike Relm (amazing dj, check out his video mixing on youtube)
DJ Abilitles.
Doomtree and Rhymesayers always produce amazing artists.
DJBlisk 1:44 AM - 1 March, 2007
Quote:
Yeah people are still getting the Jay-Z White Album (Produced by Kno) mixed up with the Jay-Z Grey Album (Produced by Dangermouse). There is a difference. The White album is hard to find, but if you can find it, then you'll see what I'm talking about. It really blows that Grey album out the water. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a dick cause I like the Grey Album too, just saying that the White Album by Kno is something that is really a must listen...

white album????? what????
Serato
Bill M 3:53 AM - 1 March, 2007
Got to mention Diverse. His full length called One A.M. is one of the best underground hip-hop records so far this millenium. productions by RJD2, madlib, and Prefuse 73 to name a few.
Dj Cassidy 4:03 AM - 1 March, 2007
This cat is out of Boston

Mighty Mystic

If you really want some hot reggae/rap artist to jump off your set this is the guy that will do it. He's gonna be the next Sean Paul .

Support good music. mightymystic.com
djheadhoncho 2:56 AM - 2 March, 2007
all this & no one mentioned Jedi Mind Tricks ......

Apathy
Sage Francis

check em out !!
DJ Distrakted 3:26 AM - 2 March, 2007
Quote:
all this & no one mentioned Jedi Mind Tricks ......

on the same line: Immortal Technique is a hardcore mo-fo who spits the harsh reality

thanks tig ol butties! Hieroglyphics and Zion-I are some underrated and underplayed groups that really hold down the west coast with their sick rhymes and smooth beats
TheMightyThor 5:47 PM - 2 March, 2007
what about brother ali? definately the most talented person in the rhymesayers family.
people under the stairs, another one of my favs.
apathy
louis logic
copywrite
murs
shiestO! 6:25 PM - 2 March, 2007
i disagree. brother ali is the man... but not the most talented person in the rhymesayers family. you can have your opinion though i'm not arguin just disagreein. (slug wins for me)
Marquest77 6:29 PM - 2 March, 2007
How bout some......Visionaries

Their song "Crop Circles" makes me want to up-rock and do some windmills and back spins..
scotty B 4:29 AM - 3 March, 2007
Visonaries are whats up!!!

DiLAted Peoples..... Nuff said.
Concept 7:29 PM - 3 March, 2007
Move.meant!
Asamov/The AB's
Mr. $weetlife 6:18 PM - 4 March, 2007
Murs, Felt (aww...hell yeah!), RJD2, Soul Position, Boom Bap Project, Atmosphere, Marc Mac
DJ d.range 8:58 PM - 4 March, 2007
hell razah got a song with talib kweli & mf doom, project jazz, shit is fire!!
vega 9:46 PM - 4 March, 2007
i shoulda peeped this thread earlier, but for those who haven't heard of MAYDAY, get up on them!!!

they just released a SOLID album not too long ago. Check the single they did with Cee-Lo and DJ craze.. I'm sure some of you have seen it, it was a smash on youtube: Watchwww.youtube.com

if any of you are coming down to Miami for winter music conference, then let me know if you want to see them. They are pretty much doing a show every night of the week. And their live show is sick, live band and all. PM me son!
dj Gds 10:34 PM - 4 March, 2007
Madlib
Quasimoto
Declaime
all the Stoupe productions
Cunnilynguists

and all the old stuffs, during partys I play stuffs from the 90's which sounds great, unknown, but dope...

Sterophonics
K-otix
Krondon,
Rise & Shine
Amad Jamal
Cali Agents
Virtuoso
Mykill Myers
Rip Show
Main Flow
DV aka Khrist
Pacewon
push button object
and THE BAD SEED

the bad seed is a kind of Dead prez style, peaceful, constructive hip hop

or another idea: try to search in English Hip Hop, it's dope
or some stuff from trip hop, productions from Vadim, Krust and so on
Peace and good searchs
TheMightyThor 10:46 PM - 4 March, 2007
slugs a pussy. have you seen both of them live? thats what makes me thinkg ali has the most talent, dude can rock shows better, can sing real good, and i just like his music more.