DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What songs can I mix with "Get Me Bodied" and Before I Let Go--Frankie Beverly

DJNFERNO 6:51 PM - 14 October, 2009
I'm a wedding DJ and videographer and I despise that when I shooting videos at weddings, most of the DJ's that I work with can't mix at all. I mean, the song ends, and you hear about a second or two of dead silence and they play another song. I hate it. When I DJ, I keep it flowing nonstop. Which brings me to this question, what are some good songs to mix with "Get Me Bodied" by Beyonce and "Before I Let Go" by Frankie Beverly. For the Beyonce track, I tried "Chillin" by Wale and Lady GaGa being from the DMV (DC, MD, VA) and all, but it cleared the floor. Any suggestions on both songs would be appreciated.
Kool DJ Sheak One 6:54 PM - 14 October, 2009
you should try that feature Traktor pro has where it tells you what song to play next.
Shit is the future son!
djpuma_gemini 7:12 PM - 14 October, 2009
Chromeo - fancy footwork

Luke - its your birthday

SWV - So weak
DVDjHardy 7:17 PM - 14 October, 2009
The Cupid Shuffle
R-Tistic 7:22 PM - 14 October, 2009
It's a milli songs to follow up after Get me bodied...even played out "Single ladies" which you'd probably be using for the bouquet toss LOL. But just depends where you wanna go...a few Swizz Beatz tracks would work, or some more R&B like Keyshia Cole Let it go or even a booty shakin type track since it is a N.O. bounce influenced song.

As for "Before I let go," I actually have trouble finding a song to follow it up at times. I usually go with Gap Band "Outstanding" which doesn't have as much energy, but is close enough. Isley "For the love of you" is great for the cha-cha, and similar BPM, but a whole different energy from that track. Luther "All my love" is a bit faster, but has a close vibe.
DJ Michael Basic 7:24 PM - 14 October, 2009
I remember when I was a shitty DJ who didn't know how to pick what song to go next...I used to always preface my questions with a little bit of shit talking about other DJs who I thought were shittier than me so that I wouldn't feel bad about being such a shitty DJ.

I don't know why that's relevant to this post...just thought I'd share.
sixxx 7:30 PM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:
I remember when I was a shitty DJ who didn't know how to pick what song to go next...I used to always preface my questions with a little bit of shit talking about other DJs who I thought were shittier than me so that I wouldn't feel bad about being such a shitty DJ.

bwahahaha!
sixxx 7:30 PM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:
you should try that feature Traktor pro has where it tells you what song to play next.
Shit is the future son!

lol
DJNFERNO 7:31 PM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:

First off, I'm nowhere near shitty--DJ isn't my livelyhood, but something that I enjoy doing and getting paid for. It beats the hell out of working retail. Secondly, I'm not sure what your silly comment was for. I just asked a simple question, and you gotta be a dumb jack*** and respond with an immature comment like that. I guess you have nothing better to do than to sit around an insult people. Get a life my friend! For the ones that gave me suggestions, thanks. These are two songs that African American crowds in my area, really love to dance to at weddings, so I just try to find an even flow.
CMOS 7:33 PM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:
most of the DJ's that I work with can't mix at all. I mean, the song ends, and you hear about a second or two of dead silence and they play another song. I hate it. When I DJ, I keep it flowing nonstop.

Now tell me which songs to mix.

Maybe now u see?
sixxx 7:37 PM - 14 October, 2009
This thread has potential.

*tracking*
DJ Michael Basic 7:52 PM - 14 October, 2009
Like I said...I just felt like sharing...I don't know what my post had to do with your post...but if you, or anyone else wants to draw parallels that's up to you/them. But I think you're onto something...the best way to endear yourself to others is to tear someone else down.

Way to go!
sixxx 7:58 PM - 14 October, 2009
lol
freshtodeath 8:21 PM - 14 October, 2009
this dude plays wale at weddings- i dont even play that shit in the club
dj_soo 9:20 PM - 14 October, 2009
wow - now people aren't just asking what songs to play at events, they're asking what songs to mix into songs?

here's a suggestion. Listen to music. figure out the mixes yourself.

jeez.
Caramac 9:38 PM - 14 October, 2009
*tracked*
DJ Sniffles 10:29 PM - 14 October, 2009
You could try not playing "Get me bodied".......maybe?
mic 5:33 AM - 15 October, 2009
Funky Lyrics - Ron C 92 bpm, will fit nice right after Get Me Bodied. That song always reminds me of my weddin
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:13 AM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
Like I said...I just felt like sharing...I don't know what my post had to do with your post...but if you, or anyone else wants to draw parallels that's up to you/them. But I think you're onto something...the best way to endear yourself to others is to tear someone else down.

Way to go!

ROTFL....

Tracking thread
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:05 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
These are two songs that African American crowds in my area, really love to dance to at weddings, so I just try to find an even flow.

I was wondering what kind of crowd you had.....And since you said African American, I can't let them down....(even if you are a shitty DJ)....lol

Try playing 'Just Us" after the Frankie Beverly jawn...

THIS HAS BEEN A MIXING TIDBIT BROUGHT TO YOU BY DJJOHNNYM.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:08 PM - 15 October, 2009
BTW, the reason I even GAVE him that answer was because he had the actual BALLS to come in here and ask what 2 songs to mix...

+10 for balls!

-5 for not doing your own research...but hey...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:09 PM - 15 October, 2009
Oh, and "Just Us" was done by Two Tons Of Fun AKA "The Weather Girls"....

Let us know if you need a download link, or if you need us to come play it for you...

Thanks!
Caramac 12:20 PM - 15 October, 2009
ha ha.
sixxx 4:35 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
Oh, and "Just Us" was done by Two Tons Of Fun AKA "The Weather Girls"....

Let us know if you need a download link, or if you need us to come play it for you...

Thanks!

hahahahaha

Classic!
Strom Carlson 5:19 PM - 15 October, 2009
I wonder if anyone is going to be dumb enough to mention that secret DJ trick no one is supposed to know about where you extemporaneously pick the next song based on its the tempo and key relative to the one you're playing.

I mean, hell, I don't think any professional DJ has ever let that secret loose upon a non-DJ. Ever.
sacrilicious 5:56 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
I wonder if anyone is going to be dumb enough to mention that secret DJ trick no one is supposed to know about where you extemporaneously pick the next song based on its the tempo and key relative to the one you're playing.

I mean, hell, I don't think any professional DJ has ever let that secret loose upon a non-DJ. Ever.

Post reported.
O.B.1 6:28 PM - 15 October, 2009
"extemporaneously" is a big word...
sixxx 6:29 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
"supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" is a big word...

indeed it is.
O.B.1 6:31 PM - 15 October, 2009
antidisestablishmentarianism...
DJ RICKGEE 7:23 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
Funky Lyrics - Ron C 92 bpm, will fit nice right after Get Me Bodied. That song always reminds me of my weddin

Hahahaha!!! Classic joint!
CrowdCTRL 7:32 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
antidisestablishmentarianism...

did u get that from an episode of Leverage?? lol
DJ'Que 8:03 PM - 15 October, 2009
luke. may the force be with you. tracking this.
dj red 8:06 PM - 15 October, 2009
After Before I let go try Chubb Rock Treat em right
djbigmark 8:12 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
I'm a wedding DJ and videographer and I despise that when I shooting videos at weddings, most of the DJ's that I work with can't mix at all. I mean, the song ends, and you hear about a second or two of dead silence and they play another song. I hate it. When I DJ, I keep it flowing nonstop. Which brings me to this question, what are some good songs to mix with "Get Me Bodied" by Beyonce and "Before I Let Go" by Frankie Beverly. For the Beyonce track, I tried "Chillin" by Wale and Lady GaGa being from the DMV (DC, MD, VA) and all, but it cleared the floor. Any suggestions on both songs would be appreciated.

i cant beleive a dj asking whatto mix...just pay me and i will rock your party and while your at it sell all your equipment. Your DJ License has been revoked..damn newbie!!!!
Kool DJ Sheak One 8:25 PM - 15 October, 2009
Your Moms in my buisiness...
Logisticalstyles 9:36 PM - 15 October, 2009
Cheryl Lynn- To Be Real
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:55 PM - 15 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

First off, I'm nowhere near shitty--DJ isn't my livelyhood, but something that I enjoy doing and getting paid for. It beats the hell out of working retail. Secondly, I'm not sure what your silly comment was for. I just asked a simple question, and you gotta be a dumb jack*** and respond with an immature comment like that. I guess you have nothing better to do than to sit around an insult people. Get a life my friend! For the ones that gave me suggestions, thanks. These are two songs that African American crowds in my area, really love to dance to at weddings, so I just try to find an even flow.

I get exactly what your saying here cause I'm the same way, I think pro photographers are overated so I got a digi cam and not I take paying gigs from those scam artists who say photography required "talent" btw mabye you can help me when photographing the bride and groom is the left or right side better? When should I take the pic? And don't worry about the immature comments that are replied here people who know what their doing have waaaay too much time on their hands and tend to be asses.... Gotta do something when you don't have to ask the world how to do your job ..... Oh and to answer your question stanky leg will keep the party jumping no matter what you play it after play it loud and often and you'll never go wrong

practice and enjoy :)
O.B.1 12:07 AM - 16 October, 2009
Quote:
Your Moms in my buisiness...

I love that old K-Solo joint, I had the cassette tape in 8th grade!
Swizzle 12:52 AM - 16 October, 2009
Quote:
It's a milli songs to follow up after Get me bodied...even played out "Single ladies" which you'd probably be using for the bouquet toss LOL. But just depends where you wanna go...a few Swizz Beatz tracks would work, or some more R&B like Keyshia Cole Let it go or even a booty shakin type track since it is a N.O. bounce influenced song.

As for "Before I let go," I actually have trouble finding a song to follow it up at times. I usually go with Gap Band "Outstanding" which doesn't have as much energy, but is close enough. Isley "For the love of you" is great for the cha-cha, and similar BPM, but a whole different energy from that track. Luther "All my love" is a bit faster, but has a close vibe.

I'd do and have done Luther - "Never Too Much" after "Before I Let U Go".

And after Single Ladies, i'd drop EU - Da Butt.
DJ Sniffles 1:30 AM - 16 October, 2009
I think my post was over looked but here it is again.....why not play something good, and not play Beyonce songs?

I mean, you're killing two birds with one stone
Swizzle 1:47 AM - 16 October, 2009
Quote:
I think my post was over looked but here it is again.....why not play something good, and not play Beyonce songs?

I mean, you're killing two birds with one stone

Because at an "African American" wedding reception....it's hard imagining one without a Beyonce or Cha Cha slide request from a drunk Aunt visiting from the south.
Big K 1:58 AM - 16 October, 2009
Yea you cant do a African American wedding without some Beyonce
pdidy 2:32 AM - 16 October, 2009
before i let go
i found lovin -fatback band
i want to thank you- alicia meyers
love thang- first choice

Beyonce
get right - jennifer lopez
enough cryin- mary j
tambourine- eve

your welcome
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:49 AM - 16 October, 2009
Quote:
After Before I let go try Chubb Rock Treat em right

Hmmm, 103 to 116 if I remember right. That is a little stretch. I was avoiding pulling out the laptop but this thread has me curious.

Off the top of my head, I think last time I played "Before I Let Go" I followed it with "Believe In Love" by Teddy Pendergrass (98) but I didn't like it. Watchwww.youtube.com It was a energy dip but I needed to go back down in Bpm's for some stupid request. It was a Grown & Sexy/30 and up gig so it worked

Shit I would probably drop the Instrumental of Peter Piper (fast forward past Mardi Gras sample to just the beats) and come back with the Vocal and take em Old School Rap for a minute.

Let me scan my library for more choices,
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:54 AM - 16 October, 2009
Quote:
I'd do and have done Luther - "Never Too Much" after "Before I Let U Go".

Good one, I was also thinking Queen Pen - "All My Love" on the stab breakdown,

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:05 PM - 16 October, 2009
....not sure if anyone has already mentioned this transition yet from "Before I Let Go" into Maxwell's "Asencion" (I actually haven't tried it out yet, curious if some one here could whip up a quick sound bite of what it would sound like and post here)

Being part of the "DJ" community, I appreciate threads & forums like this (sharing trade secrets of the craft, everything from gear <audio/lighting/video> questions to song selections questions to how we deal with angry guest song requsts/demands)

In addition, it's pretty amazing what is available at the tips of our fingers, not only DVS tools as Serato, but the use of Pandora & iTunes' Genius (if you like that, you'll like this)...oh, and that Shazam app on the celly

...what would be super wild is if you can combine all the programs listed above, having Shazam actively listening/scanning to what you got current in the mix and what's in your cue, then it can display recommendations of what you currently have that exist in your library/crates or display links to Serato's Whitelabel, Beatport, or any of the record pools you have subscriptions to.

...better yet, Serato shouldn't have any problems creating this feature --> making use of the "History" function, have a thumbs up & down 'button' where if the DJ likes what he/she just mixed or got a great positive crowd reaction, you can hit the thumbs up button and it'll link/associate the two songs and remember/save for use in later gigs in the form of a new tab called "recommendations" where you can pull up songs that you know from the past will work next in the mix & is right there ready to load (but it's up to you bet repetative or you can select from a list that is provided from the Shazam/Pandora hybrid). maybe i should post this in the suggestion section

....I wonder if there are open forums for magicians (hey, how do i change this lady into a panther or hey, how do i make this 747 disappear into thin air)
DJNFERNO 2:24 PM - 16 October, 2009
damn, you ask a simple question and get ripped to shredds. Obviously there are tons of songs to mix with the two based on BPM, flow, etc. But I couldn't quite find the right mix that would keep them going. Just figure, I asked some of the experts on here for a little advice and you get ripped a new one. for those that did offer suggestions whether it was sarcastic or not . . . thanks, for everybody else, "you can get the finger . . . THE MIDDLE!"
sacrilicious 9:49 PM - 16 October, 2009
Quote:
....not sure if anyone has already mentioned this transition yet from "Before I Let Go" into Maxwell's "Asencion" (I actually haven't tried it out yet, curious if some one here could whip up a quick sound bite of what it would sound like and post here)

Being part of the "DJ" community, I appreciate threads & forums like this (sharing trade secrets of the craft, everything from gear <audio/lighting/video> questions to song selections questions to how we deal with angry guest song requsts/demands)

In addition, it's pretty amazing what is available at the tips of our fingers, not only DVS tools as Serato, but the use of Pandora & iTunes' Genius (if you like that, you'll like this)...oh, and that Shazam app on the celly

...what would be super wild is if you can combine all the programs listed above, having Shazam actively listening/scanning to what you got current in the mix and what's in your cue, then it can display recommendations of what you currently have that exist in your library/crates or display links to Serato's Whitelabel, Beatport, or any of the record pools you have subscriptions to.

...better yet, Serato shouldn't have any problems creating this feature --> making use of the "History" function, have a thumbs up & down 'button' where if the DJ likes what he/she just mixed or got a great positive crowd reaction, you can hit the thumbs up button and it'll link/associate the two songs and remember/save for use in later gigs in the form of a new tab called "recommendations" where you can pull up songs that you know from the past will work next in the mix & is right there ready to load (but it's up to you bet repetative or you can select from a list that is provided from the Shazam/Pandora hybrid). maybe i should post this in the suggestion section

....I wonder if there are open forums for magicians (hey, how do i change this lady into a panther or hey, how do i make this 747 disappear into thin air)

Virtual DJ or something else has a track suggestion feature I think--and it streams it so you don't even have to download music from Limewire to DJ.
Joshua Carl 10:58 PM - 16 October, 2009
if we tell you, will you send us a portion of your nightly pay for it?

;-)
djatrain@hotmail.com 2:50 PM - 19 October, 2009
I love Before I let you go, that is my joint right there. When I am playing that song, it is too many songs you can mix with that. Cutie Pie, Disco Lady, Brick by Dazz, Bus Stop by Charile Green(Orginal), I'm In Love by Eveley Champagne King and my all time favorite Just Got Paid by Johnny Kemp. Or keep it with Maze and go Joy and Pain, Live version is hotter than the other version.
DJ Benny B NYC 3:25 PM - 19 October, 2009
Quote:
Cutie Pie

yup, this is the song i always play after before i let go. i loop up the first 4 bars so the loop ends with that bell.
lucky 7 3:42 PM - 19 October, 2009
Quote:
damn, you ask a simple question and get ripped to shredds. Obviously there are tons of songs to mix with the two based on BPM, flow, etc. But I couldn't quite find the right mix that would keep them going. Just figure, I asked some of the experts on here for a little advice and you get ripped a new one. for those that did offer suggestions whether it was sarcastic or not . . . thanks, for everybody else, "you can get the finger . . . THE MIDDLE!"

I think u got "ripped" because u came in talking shit about DJs that suck and can't even mix...and then proceed into asking what song mix. Just like a guy that can't mix is considered a shitty DJ to you....some of the guys on here consider a guy that has to ask what 2 songs to mix together a shitty DJ.
There is no right answer though. Because regardless of white, black, Hispanic, etc, ALL wedding crowds are different and your mixes will get a different reaction every time. Trial and error. Worse case scenario have another song ready to mix in asap if your initial choice is a flop.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:50 PM - 19 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Cutie Pie

yup, this is the song i always play after before i let go. i loop up the first 4 bars so the loop ends with that bell.

****DING!!!!*****

I love that song.
Dj Nyce 12:35 AM - 20 October, 2009
if you guys want to help the op you would tell him to learn how to mix, blend, and understand the various genres of music that he chooses to play.

op, there are a million songs that can be mixed with get me bodied and before i let go. if you cannot figure out what songs they are you should pack up your shit.

if you want to dj learn your music and learn how to mix.
djatrain@hotmail.com 1:41 AM - 20 October, 2009
Dj Nyce tryin to treat dude...............lmao
silentpartner 10:22 PM - 20 October, 2009
try Mt. Airy groove for the Frankie beverly song or Rescue Me by taste of honey
Audio1 11:05 PM - 20 October, 2009
whoohooo!
dj ductape 10:19 PM - 22 October, 2009
yeah sadly the only answer is reading the crowd... it will come to you and even when you think you are good at it ... you get a curve ball and then learn some more about it.
DJ Benny B NYC 2:16 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
if you guys want to help the op you would tell him to learn how to mix, blend, and understand the various genres of music that he chooses to play.

op, there are a million songs that can be mixed with get me bodied and before i let go. if you cannot figure out what songs they are you should pack up your shit.

if you want to dj learn your music and learn how to mix.

we're just trying to show off that we have all the old school records
mic 3:07 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:

Dammit... Now I gotta rip you for quotin Kris Kross. C'mon bro, I have things to do
DJ Dollar 3:53 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
Shit is the future son!

This feature will be in Serato 2.5.5
adhdj 4:36 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
Shit is the future son!

*facepalm*

I was reading about how VDJ does this now too, fucking LAME in my opinion. That's the part that is supposed to come with trial and error and time, not be handed to you from the jump...
Caramac 1:09 PM - 26 October, 2009
Quote:
Shit is the future son

Why bother paying for that feature. That's what the punters are there for I lie? Lol. To tell you when and exactly how you should play their song.
dj ductape 11:31 PM - 5 November, 2009
sadly djing has gone to computers doing it for us and soon..... we will all be outta work and replaced by ipods and laptops. just look at apples genious feature. freakin nuts. and torq can mix for you ??????? crazy
DJ Foots MD 8:59 PM - 7 June, 2014
For Before I let go you can use

too close by next
Outstanding
Dj Shamann 9:08 PM - 7 June, 2014
LOL damn I wish I didn't miss this thread when it originally aired.
DJ Irv 9:39 PM - 7 June, 2014
Most appropriate song to play at a wedding. Kanye West - Gold Digger (dirty version).
sumoJr 2:53 AM - 8 June, 2014
Quote:
Most appropriate song to play at a wedding. Kanye West - Gold Digger (dirty version).

before or after tlc no scrubs

bitches love that shit
DJ Ty-Ty 4:14 AM - 9 June, 2014
How I would transitiion the two- Get Me Bodied into Love on Top (Ted Smooth remix into Love on top Original (The last chorus) into Before I let go then id play a couple 80's block party jams after that.
DJMark 7:36 AM - 9 June, 2014
Quote:

Playing U2 "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" as a first dance "by mistake" would be fun...
CMOS 8:28 PM - 9 June, 2014
I went to a wedding 3 weeks ago, the mom/son dance was to Dear Mama by Tupac lol.
Smoothbrotha119 5:55 AM - 24 March, 2016
If your doing 2 fast and one slow or one fast and two slow. First of all you can go many directions with this situation you could play a new school song or another old school song. If you go old school Say Before I let go is the first song in the two fast song then you could do Skin tight, Roller coaster, Brick House ect. If you want to do a newer song behind it you could do cupid shuffle, or any line dance song that keeps the grove. Now if Before I let go is the second fast song in the two fast songs then your slow song could be Before I let you go, Dont leave by Black Street. Bump and grind, Slow Dance, Seems like you ready by R Kelly ect. It just depends on the mood of the crowd though.....
DJ KBZ (Texas) 9:44 AM - 28 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I get exactly what your saying here cause I'm the same way, I think pro photographers are overated so I got a digi cam and not I take paying gigs from those scam artists who say photography required "talent" btw mabye you can help me when photographing the bride and groom is the left or right side better? When should I take the pic? And don't worry about the immature comments that are replied here people who know what their doing have waaaay too much time on their hands and tend to be asses.... Gotta do something when you don't have to ask the world how to do your job ..... Oh and to answer your question stanky leg will keep the party jumping no matter what you play it after play it loud and often and you'll never go wrong

practice and enjoy :)

You guys are so mean. LOL Remind me to never ask for assistance.

Brotherly love no longer exists..
DJ KBZ (Texas) 9:49 AM - 28 March, 2016
Every song isn't meant to be mixed. Sometimes it just doesn't work & that's okay.

#FYI
DTweed 10:59 AM - 28 March, 2016
If you're playing getting me bodied (assuming remix) you can use your MC skills to do a transition at the point of when she says let's do an old school dance. Hit them with a "let's take it back now" and then drop before I let go on the 1. The intro to before I let go should get em hype. Don't mix it, djing requires creativity and you have to use that to your advantage
DTweed 11:09 AM - 28 March, 2016
Quote:

Sounds like pyro 😂😂😂
DJ Rexboogie 11:45 PM - 11 June, 2017
I'm my book there is only one record to play after "Before I let go." That is" I found lovin" by the Fatback Band