Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

IS DEADMAU5 a Real DJ ?

Cid K 1:01 PM - 8 October, 2009
I was wondering if he was REALLY a Real DJ or Just a new Live Act Performer.

What you guys think ?
djcerla 1:05 PM - 8 October, 2009
Thanx Cid K for de-hijacking my thread :)
Cid K 1:06 PM - 8 October, 2009
No problemo bro :-)
djcerla 1:08 PM - 8 October, 2009
I personally think he represents a new breed of Electronic music performer.

Techno-geek™?

He's great, very tight on the beat, and very exciting to watch, I definitely like him! But no, he's not a DJ. One could argue he could be "more" than a DJ, tho.
Cid K 1:12 PM - 8 October, 2009
Yup i agree on that, he's more or a "Producer/Live Act Performer" then a DJ.

I saw Dj Preach Owning him in front of everybody in a gig they played together. Joel's laptop had crashed, and Preach was like: Come On, Go on, Continue to play... Wiche was hilarious cuse Joel actually stoped playing and let Preach play.

Yes he's very tigh, how can you not be inside of Ableton but yeah he's probably better Producer and More creative then alot of us on the production side and yes he started a new Genre of Music.
I1Kirm 1:18 PM - 8 October, 2009
I think that with all the technology out there, there are endless abilities for live manipulation of pre-recorder music and since DJing is playing/manipulating pre-recorded music people like Deadmau5 are actually pushing DJing one step further.
On the other hand he is also a great producer but that is true for all the big names out there. It seems like you can't be a world famous DJ nowadays without producing.
Cid K 1:20 PM - 8 October, 2009
Thats been like that forever. If you only think djing will get you somewhere without making Beats, chances are it's gona be a hell of a ride.
djcerla 1:27 PM - 8 October, 2009
However, being a personal friend of Benny Benassi, the guy who won a Grammy for the Public Enemy remix, and is currently remixing each and every pop artisy, I can tell you he's a VERY old-school DJ, without much manipulation (while he's on Serato SSL). Just good-ol' crowd-sensing.

He told me last month he's learning to play Electric guitar to play it live, go imagine.

I like this approach better than the super-hyper-dense Deadmau5 frantic style. People want to hear some proper, structured songs from time to time, not only zipped loops. At least, that's what I like to imagine.
Cid K 1:32 PM - 8 October, 2009
AMEN to that, that's pretty much how i feel about the djing. Ok i probably dont have all the experience you have, i have started in '99 but still, ill prolly never move on to the LIVE ACT portion. I do my mashup's, bootlegs and original production at home in studio, i rather mix normaly then do all the crazy production stuff in LIVE.

Seeing PVD and Infected Mush doing it is amazing, but that portion isnt for me.
I1Kirm 1:36 PM - 8 October, 2009
It's all a matter of personal taste. Some hate scratching (perhaps the first ever form of manipulation) while others love it. Thankfully, there are endless possibilities and styles out there and lot's of people loving them. I am not saying that what Deadmau5 does is the feature of DJing, but he is pushing DJing one step further.
I am too an "old-school" pro DJ with almost 2 decades on my back and prefer mixing songs normally but I can also see something big is going on on the other direction.
djcerla 1:36 PM - 8 October, 2009
Phrase sampling... that's what I used to do back in 1993 (yes, ninety-ninety-three) on a Ensoniq sampler...

(first part of the video) --> Watchwww.youtube.com
(from minute 7'30")--> Watchwww.youtube.com

(thanx to breakermixer for the video!)
I1Kirm 1:36 PM - 8 October, 2009
*future (not feature)
Cid K 1:38 PM - 8 October, 2009
Of course it's gona change alot in the djing world, the more it goes and the more compagnies bring out awsome new controlers and new ways to control everything up.

So probably the Title of DJ will disapear and become something else, like Hybrid Dj or something. (Just speculating here hehehe)
djcerla 1:41 PM - 8 October, 2009
Beatz Pusher™
djcerla 1:41 PM - 8 October, 2009
Balls Crusher™
djcerla 1:43 PM - 8 October, 2009
Digital Freak™
DJ MDX 1:44 PM - 8 October, 2009
Quote:
Beatz Pusher™

LMAO - I like this one.....
I1Kirm 1:44 PM - 8 October, 2009
I think they already call it Controllerism™
djcerla 1:45 PM - 8 October, 2009
so, "Controllerist"?

it sucks hard!
I1Kirm 1:46 PM - 8 October, 2009
yes it does, lol
Cid K 1:46 PM - 8 October, 2009
heheheheh
djcerla 1:48 PM - 8 October, 2009
"Last Night a Controllerist Saved my Life"... uhmmm

suicides rate will skyrocket! :D
Cid K 1:49 PM - 8 October, 2009
mouahahhahahahahaha hilarious :-P
yourfriendgus 5:43 PM - 8 October, 2009
I just saw Deadmau5 on Sunday and he is definitely something different from a conventional DJ. Whether or not he's a "real dj" depends on how you draw the line. His act is a different type of performance from someone on tables for sure though. It's still improvisational and it's certainly tailored to the crowed, but there's some sort of strange voodoo going on. He doesn't wear headphones, everything is always in sync, and everything can be glitched and relooped live with a really high degree of precision. There are a few people who perform in the same way he does...

Pretty Lights (Ableton Live, Monome, BCD?)
Daft Punk for their Alive 2007 tour (Ableton Live, BCD-3000s, Lemurs)
Cid K 5:54 PM - 8 October, 2009
Dude thats the power of Ableton. Warp Feature and Master Pitch.
iiexist 6:26 PM - 8 October, 2009
djing has become more than just, "2 turntables and a microphone" and "yo dj, spin that record!"

now those phrases have somewhat morphed into, "3 controllers, 2 effects pads with a mic+vocoder" and "yo dj, press that button!"

deadmau5 is a performer/dj. his music and beats are original but yet he performs his music to an audience as a dj would.

btw, deadmau5 hates djs. lol
Cid K 6:40 PM - 8 October, 2009
Yes thats totaly true :-P
djcerla 6:43 PM - 8 October, 2009
He hates DJs = he doesnt consider himself as a DJ.
Why should we?
iiexist 6:56 PM - 8 October, 2009
djcerla 7:23 PM - 8 October, 2009
That's why I dont play his f***ing music.
He'd better care about how many times his computers hard crash during the shows instead insulting the category that made his famous.
iiexist 7:31 PM - 8 October, 2009
i think deadmau5 uses a xone3d...

wonder if he'll decide to transition to a xone dx...
iiexist 7:37 PM - 8 October, 2009
this whole thread could form into a seperate topic on "define your djing"
Cid K 7:52 PM - 8 October, 2009
Yes he uses a Xone 3D, maybe upgraded to a Xone 4D am not sure, i got a friend who has the same setup, and honestly, it's pretty much like producing in your bedroom, with a top notch Ableton controler but LIVE in front of a crowd.

You can have an almost infinite numbers of chanals and fx slot's, honestly Ableton is AWSOME.
l.rmx 7:57 PM - 8 October, 2009
Quote:
That's why I dont play his f***ing music.
He'd better care about how many times his computers hard crash during the shows instead insulting the category that made his famous.

haha
Cid K 8:00 PM - 8 October, 2009
And it does crash.... :-P
D-RoC71 10:02 PM - 8 October, 2009
He's a poser...saying he hates DJ's yet he uses the same equipment we do, mixes it the same way we do. He's just an Electro Producer but nothing more but a POSER!!!

Here's the link to his interview

www.djtimes.com
Maskrider 10:20 PM - 8 October, 2009
Fuck him....Personally I don't like him even before. He looks like an arrogant asshole.
elsupermang 10:24 PM - 8 October, 2009
I believe as long as you can consistently rock a crowd in a shape or form you can consider yourself a DJ. There are just different shades of blue if you ask me, you can categorize him on more of the live performance/producing side of DJing.

I don't agree with him dissing on the whole industry though. If you want us to respect the way you do your thing, respect the way we do ours. You can put him on the same list as Kanye West. Talented arrogant people who just don't know how to express their thoughts in a respectful way.
Antony Ellis 11:00 PM - 8 October, 2009
Got all you lot talking about him though and thats just a tiny %.

All about marketing yourself and getting noticed....in anyway you can!
djcerla 11:22 PM - 8 October, 2009
Quote:
I believe as long as you can consistently rock a crowd in a shape or form you can consider yourself a DJ.

really? ---> www.yorkblog.com

come on guys, a DJ is a DJ, and this asshole is definitely NOT, even by his own admission!

and do you know one thing?

One day nobody will care less about these "controllerists", loop-mangling nerds with no clues about what is a pussy, and DJs, real DJs, will still.. rock the house.
djcerla 11:22 PM - 8 October, 2009
Quote:
I believe as long as you can consistently rock a crowd in a shape or form you can consider yourself a DJ.

really? ---> www.yorkblog.com

come on guys, a DJ is a DJ, and this asshole is definitely NOT, even by his own admission!

and do you know one thing?

One day nobody will care less about these "controllerists", loop-mangling nerds with no clues about what is a pussy, and DJs, real DJs, will still.. rock the house.
Hoothoot 11:30 PM - 8 October, 2009
Love deadmau5's ideas and all his gadgets but hate the fact he mostly only plays his OWN TUNES...i think its hard to call him anything when noone here knows him.
I1Kirm 11:40 PM - 8 October, 2009
Before flaming the guy you should at least read his reaction after all the negative publicity he received.
trainspottr.com

I still believe that what Deadmau5 does is a new radical form of DJing. But in the people's mind a DJ is still a "Disk Jockey" and certainly he doesn't want to be a "Disk Jockey". Read his response and you will understand what I mean.

@djceria Wtf? Are you on something? At least everybody knows him, who the hell are you to talk about "real DJs"? And what does pussy has to do with being a "real DJ"?
djcerla 12:14 AM - 9 October, 2009
Quote:

@djceria Wtf? Are you on something?

I'm on my laptop.

Quote:
At least everybody knows him

so, the fact that "everybody" knows him (who? In Italy nobody but a few hardcore clubbers) gives him the right to spill tons of s**t on DJs, the people who put him where he is now?

Quote:
who the hell are you to talk about "real DJs"?

First, calm down. Second, you have a wonderful instrument named Google to do your research, don't be lazy. Third, and most important, I am free to give my opinion about everything in public forums. Don't you like other people's points of view? Well, let's discuss. But "WTF" is not a good way to start a constructive discussion.

Quote:
And what does pussy has to do with being a "real DJ"?

I've used that expression to depict that kind of geek. Don't twist other people's words, and we'll be fine.
kraal 12:27 AM - 9 October, 2009
all i have to add to this post and original question is 'who cares'
djcerla 12:31 AM - 9 October, 2009

Bottom line: "Yeah I think DJs seriously suck, except the ones who perform with the same toys I use, but my agent told me DJs all around the world are hating on me for that interview, so I need to apologize. It's not my fault, folks, hey I'm not that eloquent after all. F**k ya!"

:-)
djcerla 12:36 AM - 9 October, 2009
Quote:
'who cares'

it's a Dj forum after all, someone may care ;)
Cid K 1:46 AM - 9 October, 2009
Well me it was just an open question, i dont care much about Joel himself as a producer or dj or fake dj or wiche ever, i find that he has great ideas and trying to explore all of em, but that doesnt mean am in love with the dude.

I never played a single Deadmau5 track in my whole life, alot of peoples during my sets come up and ask me to play deadmau5.. i just ignore them, first of all its not my style, second, i dont play mainstream shit. But again got to admit, he has balls of steel to say what he said, and also to start a new music trend's, cause i remember before he was known, his style of music didnt really exist.

Then again, he got OWNED big time by one of the best technical dj in the world, so of course he doesnt wana be a dj, he doesnt know what it is to BE ONE!

:-P
kraal 2:25 AM - 9 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
'who cares'

it's a Dj forum after all, someone may care ;)

yeah just my personal opinion about him not saying tht to the opinions expressed in this thread ;)
iiexist 2:42 AM - 9 October, 2009
is there video of this so called deadmau5 ownage or computer crash?
Cid K 3:20 AM - 9 October, 2009
Yup ill ask Preach for it, will post it when i get :-)
BROCK aka dj brockstar 5:48 AM - 9 October, 2009
DJ CERLA:

I don't think you have any room to trash ANYONE, considering the garbage you proudly play... did I hear "Hadaway - What is Love" there???

Watchwww.youtube.com

As for deadmau5... the guy may be arrogant, ignorant, and full of himself... but he is definitely a DJ. I have seen him perform several times, and he KILLS IT every single time. He is as much as a performer as a DJ, which is very much what the genre needs to survive these days.

I think some of the Serato users should take a step back before bashing those that utilize Ableton or other software, as "cheating" can be defined many ways. Many of the top DJ's nowadays use technology to their (and the crowd's) benefit, making for sets that push conventional limits. I applaud those that are creative in their ways to make music, whether live or in the studio. Joel is definitely one that had risen to the top by unconventional methods, and I think alot of the hatred for him comes from jealousy. Give the guy props for what he has done, and move on!
czar 6:29 AM - 9 October, 2009
the only part that difwrs from a regular DJ to him is the lack of scratching the rest can all be accomplished with controlers and and extra lappy like he has. GL and Njoy
czar 6:30 AM - 9 October, 2009
dang my spelling lol
czar 6:32 AM - 9 October, 2009
of course he is a DJ. Thats what I think
czar 6:33 AM - 9 October, 2009
unless he popped in a cd and let it play from beggining to end hes manipulating music live so hmmm...
asimfiction 6:44 AM - 9 October, 2009
Had the pleasure of seeing him live in HK and bullied my way to the front to check out his ... ehum.. equipment - took a photo and tried to figure out what he was using, did not see the screen but must have been Ableton.

i990.photobucket.com

He is not a DJ. He is a live music performer. He basically went through his collection of music, transforming the sound from one of his "officially" released tracks to another track..... slowly.... over time.

He wasn't playing two songs and transitioning between the two he was composing a 2 hr song on the fly, pretty impressive although to be frank a some parts really got a bit dull and repetitive.

I absolutely believe that this is the way things are moving guys, you should see what kids are doing with cracked copies of Ableton. Its not as good a DJ platform as Serato but its enables you to go beyond DJing to live music production then seamlessly start DJing again.

Serato know this which is why I reckon they hooked up with Ableton.
czar 6:49 AM - 9 October, 2009
i see thanks for sharing. :)
yourfriendgus 8:12 AM - 9 October, 2009
Quote:
DJ CERLA:

I don't think you have any room to trash ANYONE, considering the garbage you proudly play... did I hear "Hadaway - What is Love" there???

Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

As for deadmau5... the guy may be arrogant, ignorant, and full of himself... but he is definitely a DJ. I have seen him perform several times, and he KILLS IT every single time. He is as much as a performer as a DJ, which is very much what the genre needs to survive these days.

I think some of the Serato users should take a step back before bashing those that utilize Ableton or other software, as "cheating" can be defined many ways. Many of the top DJ's nowadays use technology to their (and the crowd's) benefit, making for sets that push conventional limits. I applaud those that are creative in their ways to make music, whether live or in the studio. Joel is definitely one that had risen to the top by unconventional methods, and I think alot of the hatred for him comes from jealousy. Give the guy props for what he has done, and move on!

This.

Always view each component as a tool. One tool is good for one job, one tool is good for another. Use the right tool to create the sound you want, be it Ableton or Itch -- each has a context that it fits into.
iiexist 8:31 AM - 9 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
DJ CERLA:

Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

This.

Always view each component as a tool. One tool is good for one job, one tool is good for another. Use the right tool to create the sound you want, be it Ableton or Itch -- each has a context that it fits into.

word.

or.... +1 :P
djcerla 8:42 AM - 9 October, 2009
Quote:
DJ CERLA:

I don't think you have any room to trash ANYONE, considering the garbage you proudly play...

I am a dance DJ, and YES I proudly play dance music, among other styles video.google.com.

You can think dance music is garbage, and of course I will respect your opinion.

However, this doesnt't mean I can't have "room" here to criticize who offended in that shocking manner the whole DJ category. What's this? A nazi forum? Sure not. Respect (the "room" you are referring to) is due to all kind of DJs, dance DJs included; if you didn't like some comments, let's talk about those specific topics, without trying to blow down the credibility of the person who made it.

This said, I'm in the music business since 1993 as a producer and performer, my productions sold about one million singles, and I've performed in so many countries that I don't even remember, so I think I have enough knowledge of this industry to express my points of view with confidence.
Antony Ellis 12:06 PM - 9 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
DJ CERLA:

I don't think you have any room to trash ANYONE, considering the garbage you proudly play...

I am a dance DJ, and YES I proudly play dance music, among other styles video.google.com.

Fair play to ya like but.......whats that garbage your playing!!! :O)
djcerla 12:14 PM - 9 October, 2009
ahaha, it actually sounded like garbage at least in the beginning! :D

at the time in Germany people used to go crazy for those LFO synth sweeps.
I don't remember the title of this "song", it was a track from 2003.

BTW the guy dubbed as "garbage" stuff like the remixes of '90s music I play in my own remix-night BOMBON3RA. The crowd, about 1800 people every second saturday, like this mashup style, they sing and jump for 5 hrs, I have fun, and I also use many ideas coming from remixes for new productions. What's bad in this? I really can't figure this out... :(
Antony Ellis 12:18 PM - 9 October, 2009
I dont think there is anything bad in this, each to their own at the end of the day!

I do think you like to blow your own trumpet a bit too often though Cerla....just my OPINION. :O)
Cid K 12:29 PM - 9 October, 2009
One thing i wana clarify, i never said Deadmau5 was cheating in any way, i use Ableton all the time at home for production purpose.
djcerla 12:38 PM - 9 October, 2009
Quote:
I do think you like to blow your own trumpet a bit too often though

I know, and I accept this critique.

The fact is that i am very proud of what I've done so far, and sometimes it may look like I'm bragging. Sorry for that, you are perfecty right, but bragging was not my intention.

This time I had to respond to a very harsh and not constructive personal attack, however, to be honest, I could have deleted the last part of my post, because it doesn't add up to the concept that any DJ can express any opinion about anything in this public space, regardless of the music style or how successful he is.
Cid K 12:41 PM - 9 October, 2009
Amen to that :-) Nobody hate anyone here, we are just talking and speculating, theres no need to bash on someone, someone is allowed to love some dj's and some others are allowed to not like.

This could go the same way if we started to talk about Tiesto, or even Nike shoes.

My whole point of opening this thread was to chat with my buddies Serato users on how they think about Dead Mouse :-P How they see technologies and advancement in the near future.
Dj_Whites 1:17 PM - 9 October, 2009
i don't really understand....a DJ is a person who makes people dance....yea, the meaning is not simply contained here...ok...but is not important the equipment that uses ... is the result that counts !!!!!!!

read "Last night a dj saved my life"...and enjoy the true story about this world.

i know that the turntables made history...i know...a tt is again peraphs the best object to see in any consolle...
DJ Labrat 11:51 PM - 21 October, 2009
He may be a DJ...just not a good one. His sets are wack and boring. He should stick to just producing, that's what he's good at.
MrTM2 12:36 AM - 22 October, 2009
Boring? The last three I saw were amazing. He might not be a "2TT's and a 57" DJ, but his producing skills are awesome. It's like watching Tiesto or paul van dyk: yeah guys on a stage twiddling knobs, but it's pretty damn magical.
sacrilicious 7:11 PM - 29 October, 2009
Won free tickets from Mugasha.com and saw him last night. Was let down and definitely not impressed.

My DJ/producer buddy that came with said he repeated transitions identically from Sasquatch (music festival in May) and a few clips that were on the 'net. He let most songs play out for six or seven minutes and drank and talked with his manager or whomever else was on stage.

He also trainwrecked which I didn't think was possible with Ableton. And he definitely wasn't composing two hours worth of music on the fly.

Nonetheless, everyone went crazy. It was an all ages show so there were tons of e-tarded teenagers around and all it took was him putting his mask back on or dropping a loud 4/4 kick drum to throw fists in the air (of course he'd do this after a tediously long 2+ minute breakdown that seemed to happen every fifteen minutes)
sacrilicious 7:12 PM - 29 October, 2009
Ooops how did I post in the ITCH discussion? Ha
Cid K 7:22 PM - 29 October, 2009
naw its kool buddy that's what this post is all about. :-)
marvelles 10:59 PM - 29 October, 2009
+1
czar 3:43 AM - 30 October, 2009
long live deadmous... dead..live.. hmm not?
PPIP 7:27 AM - 30 October, 2009
Quote:
He let most songs play out for six or seven minutes and drank and talked with his manager or whomever else was on stage.

dropping a loud 4/4 kick drum to throw fists in the air (of course he'd do this after a tediously long 2+ minute breakdown that seemed to happen every fifteen minutes)

I never saw Deadmau5 in real live but I listened to a recording of a set of him. The first thing that bugged me was a break that lasted more than 3 minutes. I heard the crowd shouting an cheering wich I did not understand. How the hell can you get away with that long breaks as a dance DJ/Producer.
There was absolutely no energy in the performance what so ever.
Cid K 12:32 PM - 30 October, 2009
+1

Well you see, most of mainstream people dont know shit about music... and alot of times dont even know who's dj is mixing... They just want to hear those super commercial trax and when they do they get all hyped up.
czar 10:14 AM - 1 November, 2009
i can say i am kinda mainstream myslef but that sounds like people on drugs more than people trying to dance u know...z
czar 10:15 AM - 1 November, 2009
Id like to hear to that recording myself... got a link?
DJdaveZ 8:18 PM - 1 November, 2009
i think the most important question is why this thread has so much response... if we spent more time practicing instead of talking about a particular performer maybe someone would know who we are... haha.

btw... i look at it like this.. is deadmau5 a real dj = is t-pain a real singer
elsupermang 9:07 PM - 1 November, 2009
Are rappers real singers ? Most probably not..do they still make music? Yes. So they must be doing some type of singing lol. Rock your style and if you can make money off it fuck what everyone thinks i guess lol.
djcerla 9:51 PM - 1 November, 2009
Yes. Rappers are real singers.
Next question?
kraal 10:00 PM - 1 November, 2009
Quote:
i if we spent more time practicing instead of talking about a particular performer maybe someone would know who we are... haha.

good one..... that is one of the best staements
czar 11:40 PM - 6 November, 2009
if u think about money and thats why u DJ ahem... good luck...
Aleksndar 11:07 PM - 7 November, 2009
Deadmau5 himself says he ISN'T a DJ.

He's a live act performer. He remixes most of the tracks he plays live even his own.
nik39 2:46 PM - 8 November, 2009
Quote:
He's a poser...saying he hates DJ's yet he uses the same equipment we do, mixes it the same way we do. He's just an Electro Producer but nothing more but a POSER!!!

Here's the link to his interview

www.djtimes.com

An interesting interview. Thanks for the link.