Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Please help me gain support for Linux drivers!

czar 9:39 AM - 6 October, 2009
Please leave your comment if you'd also like to have Linux drivers. Thanks!
Dj_Whites 10:31 AM - 6 October, 2009
Linux drivers for vci-300 or ns7 ?

hey man, why this idea so crazy ? XD
kraal 2:23 PM - 6 October, 2009
how many dj's are using linux?

there are a few of us with comodor 64's on this forum but no need to add support :)
DJ Moorea 2:32 PM - 6 October, 2009
I agree with kraal.

Here's the thing czar -linux is a VERY hands on tweakers OS. If you're not into messing with the OS and doing things manually in your software -well honestly you probably won't even get linux installed properly. And the issue is that most musicians and DJ's aren't going to want to mess with their OS that much.

I mean a user who complains that tweaking Windows is a chore -is NEVER going to even consider linux.

Linux is an amazing OS -and while I do think driver support would be cool in that eventually someone would create the ultimate DJ OS based off linux, that did absolutely nothing except run itch flawlessly -my desire for that support is purely from my geeky side.

As far as practical marketability from Serato's point of view it would be a pretty worthless endevour at this point I think.

I mean I seriously doubt that even 1% of DJ's are running linux for music production or performance.
czar 8:34 PM - 6 October, 2009
I think Linux would be awesome. I'll pay for Serato but Mac and Windows hmmmm One is a crying baby wanting to grow up (win) the other a crying more adult baby that overcharges you. lol Linux sounds so goood it's not true and avergae person can't install Linux. Anyone can pop a CD and follow a simple "yes" "yes" screen. Linux is Unix based and supposedly more stable than win. Besides whoever doesn't want to buy a mac because of money or simple personal preference I'm sure would like to try out Linux vs windows on performance. In Linux you wouldn't need to have anything installed but Serato and YES! Liux! Just my 2 cents.
czar 8:36 PM - 6 October, 2009
I also read that Linux doesn't have that great Audio Video drivers so I see the problems. Yet grrr I would def like to sink my teeth on it.
DJ Moorea 9:12 PM - 6 October, 2009
I agree with you czar -except the installation thing. I am not saying that linux is difficult to install for the reasonably saavy user...

but many musicians are not tech saavy users.

Windows is easier to install than linux -and users still have probelms with it. That's my point is all. That and really the difference is after the installation. Linux requires a more technical know how than Windows -or especially Mac OS.

You are right that it's more stable and would allow for some amazing possibilities as far as an optomized OS -but the work and technical experise that it would take to do that in linux is something that most musicians don't want to deal with. There are exceptions -such as yourself, however...

MOST musicians just want to plug in and start playing without worrying about the OS AT ALL.
PPIP 6:17 AM - 7 October, 2009
Why would a company put much effort in an os where there will be a small amount of DJ's? I am a Mac assict but at this moment there are allready more Windows 7 users online then Linux users. Windows 7 is not even in the shops!
Dj_Whites 8:10 AM - 7 October, 2009
i'm working with gnu/linux and *bsd systems from 1999 :D but not in djing or music production... but in server environment... ;)
czar 4:30 PM - 7 October, 2009
OLPC were supposed to ship with Linux I believe but Microsoft kicked in and offered free office licences if OLPC agreed to install windows. psss apparently OLPC never heard of Open Office.
Quote:
Why would a company put much effort in an os where there will be a small amount of DJ's? I am a Mac assict but at this moment there are allready more Windows 7 users online then Linux users. Windows 7 is not even in the shops!

Because unless Windows addressas it's "stability" issues I am sure there can be created a huge Linux DJ base even Mac user would be switching. The benefits? Faster computers than Macs running stable Unix.
czar 4:31 PM - 7 October, 2009
I don't wanna talk no more! I wanna DJ!
kraal 4:33 PM - 7 October, 2009
Quote:

Because unless Windows addressas it's "stability" issues I am sure there can be created a huge Linux DJ base even Mac user would be switching. The benefits? Faster computers than Macs running stable Unix.

not likely it is easier to tweak a pc than it is to switch to linux. remember most dj's are just that dj's the computer just carries our music for us
czar 4:54 PM - 7 October, 2009
true but if someone provided with the computer already set up.. kinks and stuff but I would like to see a linux driver you know at least for us the "geeky" ones until someone finds the way to profit from it and it expands to the regular DJ that doesn't care about what carries the music as long as it's powerful and opens possibilities artisticaly. wow lol
kraal 4:55 PM - 7 October, 2009
problem is it never will expand till it expands to the mainstream home users
DJdaveZ 6:46 PM - 7 October, 2009
czar, why did you start this discussion? you dont even use linux already, correct? just got get your itch controller and plug it in to whatever computer you are typing up this nonsense on and start DJing... no need for another OS...
czar 1:39 AM - 8 October, 2009
HAHA it's no nonsense. Linux is Unix based so it is supposedly more stable than windows. Notice I said supposedly. If you think this is nonsense don't waste your time typing anything here in the first place. This is for people that have something interesting to say not for you.
sl1pm4t 8:23 AM - 8 October, 2009
didn't the original stanton "scratch live" equivalent run from a linux boot disk? thus there is absolutely no OS install necessary. a bit slow booting from CD/DVD, but could be done from USB instead.

However, I don't think it would be worth it. Suport for iTunes would be difficult and as pointed out previously sound hardware support in linux is lacking. On top of this, Linux may be stable but the GUI code is slow, even worse than Mac.

I'd rather Serato just focus on new features and stability for MAC and Windows.
sl1pm4t 8:25 AM - 8 October, 2009
Also, linux isn't based on Unix. The kernel was written from scratch but a lot of it was modeled on Unix.

MacOS *is* based on Unix however.
djcerla 8:44 AM - 8 October, 2009
Quote:
the GUI code is slow, even worse than Mac.

Compared to aging Windows XP? Or to hugely successflul Vista?
And what Mac. a 1997 Performa? :D

Looks like some Windows users think we still live in year 2000, when Macs were actually much slower than PCs! Welcome to the new decade...
sl1pm4t 8:52 AM - 8 October, 2009
haha oops sorry couldn't resist. you are correct.
the amount of mac vs windows bashing on this forum is awesome.
skratchworx 9:24 AM - 8 October, 2009
I had a poll running on skratchworx to ask the question "what is your DJ and music making OS of choice?". These were the results:

OS X: 42%
Windows XP: 38%
Windows Vista: 13%
Linux: 2%
Mixture: 5%

Total number polled: 2862

Given those figures, do you feel it's a good idea to pump a serious amount of resource into an OS that works for just 2% of their customer base?

And for the record, I use Macs. But use whatever you want. Apple doesn't need anyone's help evangelising their products anymore.
I1Kirm 12:20 PM - 8 October, 2009
That would be great
KLH 6:33 PM - 8 October, 2009
The iPhone is the next major platform - make ITCH for that! The NS7 can use bluetooth to interface with it! YEAH!

In all seriousness, keep doing what you're doing guys...

-KLH
kraal 7:00 PM - 8 October, 2009
I got itch for a vic20
yeahdef 7:39 PM - 8 October, 2009
im going to go ahead and throw my hat into the ring and say itch for linux would be cool. the only thing comparable is MIXXX and its considerably lacking in the usability dept.
KLH 9:54 PM - 8 October, 2009
Load "*",8,1

-KLH
fall0ut 5:48 PM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:
how many dj's are using linux?

sure not many... i blame that on no support. imagine if serato did not support macs... how many dj's would be using macs? not many.

with that said linux is making headway in the DJ arena with free projects like Mixxx (www.mixxx.org)

i moved from windows to linux over 2 years ago. when i installed ubuntu linux on my laptop, everything just worked. no need to tweak anything. i was even able to get world of warcraft working with minor work arounds, that a quick google search fixed.

i am new to the DJ scene and the only reason i reinstalled windows on my old desktop, was because serato was not supported in linux.

i wish serato would port over as well...
kraal 5:52 PM - 14 October, 2009
i think you are wrong about due to lack of support. dj software is made for macs due to the use of macs in the music production pipeline. If there were more dj's using Linux then there would be a need ...but there isnt and really no demand to start either
fall0ut 5:58 PM - 14 October, 2009
regardless of why macs are supported... if there was more support for linux then there would be more dj's using it.
kraal 6:53 PM - 14 October, 2009
i still think you have that backwards :)
most dj's dont know much about computers. So since linux systems are not readily avaliable at the mall or bestbuy ect then there is never going to be a real demand for it to dj's. cause honestly what can switching to linux provide for the dj? nothing it is a switch that may mean something to a computer savy person but that's it
KLH 7:03 PM - 14 October, 2009
IMHO, there are too many ways for things to go wrong on the Linux distributions RIGHT NOW for this idea to be entertained by Serato... UNLESS Serato puts out an ITCH Linux distribution that ONLY supports running ITCH.

I dunno. Doing this seems like it would result in two steps forward and three steps back. I'm a HUGE Ubuntu fan, but wouldn't run it with ITCH EVEN IF it were released.

-KLH
czar 9:08 PM - 14 October, 2009
I started this thread because I bilieved Linux "is/was" stable??
czar 9:13 PM - 14 October, 2009
I hateRRR to be wrongEERR!!! Wait ins't Linux more stable than Windows? I'm confusedEE.
KLH 12:16 AM - 15 October, 2009
The Linux OS distributions are more stable than Windows, but the apps typically aren't - because they haven't typically EXISTED as long as those on the other OSes.

IIRC, most distributions don't have as much real-time i/o throughput as MacOS or Windows either - which is the problem. Maybe there's ASIO on Linux now. Regardless, there's a TON more libraries and reusable code on both the MacOS and Windows that the Uni/Linux OS don't have (right now).

At the end of the day, an OS is just an OS. ALL of them have their specific issues.

-KLH
Jules_VCI300 8:53 AM - 25 May, 2010
+1 for ubuntu lucid lynx drivers
I have made the switch to ubuntu. (havent installed itch yet in wine,) native drivers would be awesome !!
Jules_VCI300 8:54 AM - 25 May, 2010
ps sorry to dig out this old thread...
hamzter 7:11 PM - 27 June, 2010
I agree. I just installed a fresh version of 10.04 32Bit and it seems pretty good at the moment.

It would be cool to run Itch or SSL on this platform.
jshpro2 7:37 AM - 29 June, 2010
Add linux drivers. Or open source the Windows drivers so we, the programming community can port the code.
_Jinj_ 8:08 AM - 29 June, 2010
Sure it will be awesome ...

I'm going to test with lucid lynx 10.34/Wine on a pc wich cannot run properly itch and the ns7 under Xp (Drop out, Freeze)

I will post the result :p
jolt 9:43 PM - 29 June, 2010
+1

(!!!)
niceboobs 4:04 PM - 5 September, 2010
I'd like linux drivers also. For using with latest Ubuntu version.
zaguama 4:15 PM - 5 September, 2010
how will apple make business? this is not going to happen.
djcerla 6:07 PM - 5 September, 2010
In related news, iOS just surpassed the freefalling Linux in global web usage.
czar 6:18 PM - 5 September, 2010
cerla no body called you to rant on how well apple is doing.

im afraid market share or OS usage is irrelevant.
yeahdef 7:51 PM - 5 September, 2010
Quote:
im afraid market share or OS usage is irrelevant.

lol
KLH 7:57 PM - 5 September, 2010
Warning, possible thread-jack coming...

Quote:
In related news, iOS just surpassed the freefalling Linux in global web usage.

Are you pushing for development of ITCH onto the iPad so that the controllers can be used (via the camera kit)?

-KLH
djcerla 10:11 PM - 5 September, 2010
No. I'm just underlining that Linux is fading away into irrilevancy (<1%).
KLH 3:56 AM - 6 September, 2010
^ I dunno, bro. Android - which runs a streamlined version of Linux - is poised to displace BOTH the iPhone and the iPad.

IMHO, Apple is the crossroads that it faced back in 1988 when the Mac was making inroads with desktop publishing and the business world. There was a competitor that was behind it, Windows/286, but clearly the Mac was better... if only Apple licensed the OS, they'd make a mint... but they didn't.

Advance the clock to 2010, they have the iPhone and iPad and both are being chased by a company with deep pockets who will NOT stop, but WILL license the technology... will history repeat itself?

I think so.

-KLH
KLH 3:58 AM - 6 September, 2010
Lemme "pull a Czar" here and continue my post and bring this full circle: should Serato make drivers for the hardware to make it ALSA compatible?

No, but the controller manufacturers should and the rest will take care of itself...

-KLH
djcerla 7:58 AM - 6 September, 2010
History seldom repeats itself. And by the way Apple is now the #1 tech company in the world so it must have done something very right, taking its risks (a la iPad), pushing on innovation (the industry seems now in perennial Apple-cloning mode) and refusing the logic of price wars/race to the bottom.

But I took the iOS's surpass into this discussion only to say that Linux market share is now dramatically shrinking, so a company like Serato would hardly invest on it.
czar 8:10 AM - 6 September, 2010
the day linux dies is the day theres no longer poverty in the world and even then linux will still live.
djcerla 8:17 AM - 6 September, 2010
Linux will not die indeed, as it's a great choice for some important applications.
czar 8:27 AM - 6 September, 2010
android is linux and it has gained impressively very quickly. why do u think that is? I will answer that. It is because people want freedom and free brings tons of "free"dom.

seems there will always be this sad kind, willing to waste money (resources) for comfort and my kind the ones willing to learn to save money and accomplish more things with our lives like bringing as much goodness to everyone in the world as we can. (better resource allotment)

dont worry., while the lazy and deaf to all advice kind deforests the amazon and rapes the earth for comfort my kind plants the seeds that will bring fresh air to your offspring's lungs.

you are but a tool where I am a carpenter son!
sl1pm4t 12:43 PM - 6 September, 2010
Quote:

DjCerla:
Linux has <1% market share of what?
I assume you mean the Desktop computer market, in which case you are correct.

If you meant the market share on computer Servers then you would have stated a figure more like a 40%.
Of course, servers are hardly relevant to Serato users but Linux market share is scientifically proven to be a hell of a lot more market share than Mac OSX Server enjoys.
So to say that Linux is fading away into irrelevance is nothing short of a lie. But I'll forgive you because you've posted some kick ass clips on YouTube.

In saying all this, should Serato put development effort into a Linux version of Itch / Scratch Live?
....... Hell no.

It goes like this:
The beauty of developing for Mac is that there is consistent hardware and software platform which the Serato developers can work against. i.e. Apple controls the hardware and the OSX, so there are very few variables.

Developing against Windows there is at least a consistent Operating System, but the hardware can vary, which means a large possibility for variations, and more effort for Serato.

Developing against Linux is the software equivalent of aiming for a moving target. There are endless permutations of hardware + software combinations, and a mixed bag of software support for the actual hardware (i.e. poor drivers for hardware - and in particular audio support on Linux has always been lacking).
On top of this, as DJ Cerla points out, Linux on the desktop PC is not common.

IMO It is just.not.worth.it to even consider Linux for Itch development. I would much much rather see Serato put the effort into new features for Windows/Mac. And I say all this as a daily user of Linux on the Desktop (and Windows).
djcerla 12:55 PM - 6 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

DjCerla:
Linux has <1% market share of what?
I assume you mean the Desktop computer market, in which case you are correct.

of course we're not talking servers on the ITCH forum!

I know very well that Linux rules for certain applications (i.e. supercomputer clusters)
nik39 1:53 PM - 6 September, 2010
Quote:
History seldom repeats itself. And by the way Apple is now the #1 tech company in the world so it must have done something very right

So did you say the same about Microsoft when it was number one?

Quote:
I took the iOS's surpass into this discussion only to say that Linux market share is now dramatically shrinking

Linux market dramatically shrinking?

You mean on servers? No. You're wrong.

You mean on desktops? Dramaitcally shrinking? Are you again blowing everything out of proportion? ;)

You mean on mobile phones? Well, I think you are misled. Android is getting stronger and stronger and it is derived from Linux.

You mean on coffee machines? Maybe. Don't know about it, because I don't drink coffee. ;)

I think you said a few days ago: "As a rule of thumb, always get your facts straigth before ranting".

I agree, but this is not restricted to rants ;)
KLH 3:54 PM - 6 September, 2010
Quote:
So to say that Linux is fading away into irrelevance is nothing short of a lie. But I'll forgive you because you've posted some kick ass clips on YouTube.

And it's sl1pm4t for the win! That's the best reply on this thread!

And yes, Cerla has put kick ass videos on YT. That is a fact!

-KLH
nik39 5:38 PM - 6 September, 2010
Uh, I totally missed sl1m4ts response.

Quote:
The beauty of developing for Mac is that there is consistent hardware and software platform which the Serato developers can work against. i.e. Apple controls the hardware and the OSX, so there are very few variables.

True, but that doesn't make the combination immune - there are a few prime examples where this combination has been proven to fail as well.
nik39 5:39 PM - 6 September, 2010
(but I agree - in general it's easier to support such a system with far less variables)
sl1pm4t 11:29 PM - 6 September, 2010
Even harder than developing Serato for Linux would be supporting Serato on Linux.

Imagine our hardware profile pages:
On top of the "Operating System" and Version question, would be:

Distribution: Ubuntu / RedHat / Suse / Debian / Fedora / CentOS / custom (good luck)
Kernel version: (1.6 million possibilities) <<-- This may not be accurate.
Kernel modules installed: (46 billion possible combinations) <<-- probably accurate.
Window Manager: KDE or Gnome or XFCE or
blah:
blah:

It would be a support nightmare.

The only way it could work is if Serato made their own distribution. But why bother.
nik39 11:36 PM - 6 September, 2010
+1 on everything you said.
zaguama 3:36 AM - 7 September, 2010
sl1pm4t you definitely nailed it, i second that.
sl1pm4t 3:57 AM - 7 September, 2010
Quote:
sl1pm4t you definitely nailed it, i second that.

:-)
czar 3:50 AM - 8 September, 2010
czar 4:04 AM - 8 September, 2010
niceboobs 11:13 AM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:
Even harder than developing Serato for Linux would be supporting Serato on Linux.

Distribution: Ubuntu / RedHat / Suse / Debian / Fedora / CentOS / custom (good luck)
Kernel modules installed: (46 billion possible combinations) <<-- probably accurate.
blah:
blah:

The only way it could work is if Serato made their own distribution. But why bother.

Although performance is half of what it should, Serato ITCH 1.7 already works with Wine 1.2. I just scratched one track with the mouse and freed some nerd-orphins lol

What I want is Linux drivers for VCI-300, but wait, isn't it a matter of Vestax rather than Serato's? What are we doing here?
DJ GaFFle 3:11 PM - 10 September, 2010
No support for Linux... it distracts from support of Mac and PC users.
thebulge 1:09 AM - 17 September, 2010
And who would serato go to when issues are discovered with hardware / os / drivers?

Just think of the recent issues with USB and new core I5/I7s.... Serato is able to go to Apple for a workaround in the OS / drivers.

It's a pain in the ass for Windows guys, as the issue required multiple vendor fixes, ie. Windows, drivers and BIOS patches.

Imagine the nightmare supporting a commercial product that you (the end user) just wants to work as advertised. Linux is supported by a community all with vested interests. Who would be held accountable? Serato wouldn't want to open that can of worms.

A waste of time for such a niche market of tweakers. I (and most people) just like my shit to work out of the box.

Like it, or hate it, the computer market is finally starting to mature. iOS is the next evolution of computing. Back in the day you needed to have mechanical knowledge to own a car, now you just drive. Computers are going the same way. I see this as a good thing.
czar 5:01 AM - 30 September, 2010
AT^ 7:50 AM - 2 October, 2010
I would rather run ITCH in Linux. Just gotta boot into that partition :)
jshpro2 5:22 AM - 28 November, 2010
Quote:
Apple is now the #1 tech company in the world so it must have done something very right.

They make minor improvements to their products which require you to go out and buy new hardware each time. Essentially making money and making quality products are mutually exclusive, that's why linux is so great.
casket hands 6:41 AM - 28 November, 2010
down for some linux drivers. just discovered ubuntu and I really really like it.
dj ask 7:27 PM - 28 November, 2010
amen.
PHOdaMentals 6:31 AM - 6 December, 2010
I would love to see a Linux-native version of Serato, however from a business standpoint, I do not think it will happen for a long time, if at all. :(

I am primarily a Linux user, and the only time I boot into Windows on my personal set-up is to run Scratch Live.

Just curious though: Has anyone with a mid to high-end laptop executed Serato virtually? (i.e. Host operating system is Ubuntu Linux and guest OS is Windows XP.) Video? Setup?
djcerla 8:37 AM - 6 December, 2010
Quote:
making money and making quality products are mutually exclusive

Explain why.
djcerla 8:39 AM - 6 December, 2010
Quote:
that's why linux is so great.

Actually, Linux is very small.
minuscipher 2:07 PM - 23 December, 2010
ubuntu linux is one of the most user friendly OS you dont need to be tech savy to use it at all, i disagree with the theory that musicians are not tech savy. music is changing its not the same anymore, most musicians produce their music on computers now, the reason why linux does not have many dj users is because the lack of programs and support for linux. not only is linux more stable than windows its not a heavy OS like windows, i've never owned a mac so i cannot speak for macs. i've never had any problems with linux just the lack of support is what kills the OS, because serato does not support linux i still have windows 7 installed on my DJ laptop otherwise i would have linux. personally i think that serato is afraid of releasing support for linux because some way some how, a linux user will tinker with the source code. i still have hopes for serato-linux but not holding my breath, i just think they should say yes we are working on it or no that will never happen, that way we can go on with our lives and continue to DJ. until then linux users try www.mixxx.org i heard it supports the SL1 with no problem.
Papa Midnight 9:17 AM - 24 December, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Linux. I've been using Red Hat since version 6 (Red Hat Linux 6, not RHEL6 which just came out, lol) as well as the Fedora arch since it was known as Fedora Core (I am not a fan of Ubuntu. I do not like it. At all). Hell, I've even used FreeBSD and still do for my NAT and firewall installations.

But here comes the inherent problems with attempting to support Linux: Unlike Windows and MacOS where the basic environmental variables is relatively similar for everyone, Linux can vary by extremes depending on who's using it and what they chose to install on first run, how they compiled their copy and/or what distribution they used, etc., etc. There are far to many variables when looking at Linux to possibly provide any reasonable support for it.

If someone wants to go about their own and see how well it works using WINE, then that's one thing, but asking a company to support 2 major OS' in addition to (what is presently, in the personal computing environment - but certainly not in terms of server environments and in mobile environments) a niche OS with more possible variables than I care to account for is asking just a little to much.

The following by sl1pm4t pretty much says it all:
Quote:

blah:
blah:

I'm actually reminded now why cPanel makes their own distribution of CentOS pre-configured with cPanel right off their own website...
hamzter 10:45 PM - 1 May, 2011
I'm a Linux person and would definitely use Serato on this OS.

As a matter of fact, I just got my RHEL6 RHCSA Cert last Tuesday...

Anxiously awaiting Linux support.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 5:34 AM - 2 May, 2011
Quote:
i just think they should say yes we are working on it or no that will never happen

No, that will never happen.

To date, Serato have made a grand total of 0 products for Linux and this is not going to change in the foreseeable future.

But I can't comment on whether or not our hardware partners will provide hardware drivers for their products. That's their decision.
conArtist 6:14 PM - 8 May, 2011
Quote:
No, that will never happen.

Wow. That's lame. Especially since in the foreseeable future Linux is going to be making huge strides. With the majority of smart phones and tablets being based on *nix and linux it would seem like a marketing blunder to not tap into that market at least.

If you think linux is going no where then you are dead wrong. The majority of webservers on the net are guess what. Linux servers. Thats just the beginning. Linux window managers have come along way and now that ubuntu has dumped xorg (and all its window managers) for unity, I think we will see big things happen. Plus you can't beat free. In this economy people will be looking to cut corners. The more $ people can save on an OS and computer, means the more money they have to spend on rane products.

yes yes yes....hackintosh....but for the people that want to stay legit, hackintosh is not an option even if you own your an OEM copy of osx.
djcerla 6:19 PM - 8 May, 2011
If you're a DJ, money on a Mac is saved, not spent :)

Also, the success of tablets means Serato will probably look into iOS and Android developement, not Linux for sure :)
djcerla 6:23 PM - 8 May, 2011
Also, which other competing software is Linux-compatible? Not Traktor, nor VDJ. Not even Ableton.

Final Scratch had its own Linux distro for PC at the beginning, but they scrapped it as soon as Windows was good enough for real time audio.

So, it's not "lame", it's just how things have turned out.
conArtist 6:24 PM - 8 May, 2011
um ios is based on unix and android is based on........yes linux.

If you have the money for a mac, get one. if not, there should be better options then windows. Entry level to be mobile with mac is what, $800 with your student discount on a macbook. Yes you could buy OSx for 120 and then build a hackintosh rig for under 5 bills. But what if you are not technical enough to do so....and what if you are trying to stay legit.

Quote:
Also, the success of tablets means Serato will probably look into iOS and Android developement, not Linux for sure :)
djcerla 6:28 PM - 8 May, 2011
You can get a perfectly suitable Mac for ITCH second hand for a good price.

Quote:

you need an iOS version, not a Linux/Unix version, to enter the App Store.
conArtist 6:42 PM - 8 May, 2011
Quote:
You can get a perfectly suitable Mac for ITCH second hand for a good price.

Quote:

you need an iOS version, not a Linux/Unix version, to enter the App Store.

Yes, cause there is an unlimited supply of used macs out there. Not to mention the risks involved with buying used. Listen, I am not bashing mac, I love macs. I own a macbook, which i run serato on. Not trying to piss off any fan boys. but your last comment shows your ignorance no offence. What does the App store have anything to do with developing for linux. Do you buy ALL your rane products and software from iphones appstore? Does Rane only make and sell products on the appstore. My point is that Rane already develops for a unix systems, that's what OSX is at the core. Linux is not very different then unix. Linux and OSX have more in common then windows and OSX. With the smart phones and tablets explosion (which are all mostly based on unix and linux), not to mention the shift to cloud computing (which most clouds are hosted on linux systems already), I think its a poor choice to completely disregard development for linux. That imo, is indeed lame, if that is how things turn out.
djcerla 7:13 PM - 8 May, 2011
ahahah you're funny.

YOU were talking about tablets, and as at current iPad makes for 86% of tablets, Serato would need an iOS app in order to break into this new market. Not a linux software. I'm not bashing Linux here, just addressing your point about tablets.
conArtist 7:42 PM - 8 May, 2011
lol, you are right djcerta. As of right now 86% of tablets are ipads. and I imagine that would be the initial platform they develop on if they choose to enter the tablet market. But that will soon change. Remember when iphone was that dominant when smart phones first got popular. (Arguably iphone made smart phones popular). But that percentage has been slipping. Android phones have been trending big time. I think we will see the same for tablets. ipad will remain the biggest of course but there will still be room for android. i do understand where you are coming from; you can still use serato (already owned) on a mac for under $800 technically if there is an ipad version.
sl1pm4t 5:25 AM - 9 May, 2011
Ubuntu hasn't ditched Xorg, Unity is just a tweaked Gnome 3.
hologram 5:31 AM - 9 May, 2011
wow did you all forget that when the first tool like Serato came out "final scratch" It only supported Linux. Something about windows wasn't stable enough.....
sl1pm4t 5:44 AM - 9 May, 2011
yeah and final scratch dropped linux support too!
hamzter 1:37 PM - 9 May, 2011
To say never is very very bold. At least say currently we do not support Linux. I wonder if someone in the Open Source world would make a DVS system on Linux, would it be more stable than Mac or MS...

Hmmm...
nik39 2:05 PM - 9 May, 2011
Quote:
I wonder if someone in the Open Source world would make a DVS system on Linux

www.xwax.co.uk <- click.
skratchworx 2:51 PM - 9 May, 2011
And Mixxx too: mixxx.org
hamzter 7:42 PM - 9 May, 2011
ok, I guess then we should stop asking... haha.
hologram 7:56 PM - 9 May, 2011
My point was it was easier to make it work on Linux.
They dropped support because of what was posted earlier that the user base wasn't there and not technical enough to use linux in the masses.
So their isn't any hard ship reason to support linux.
thebulge 3:11 AM - 10 May, 2011
It's an economic decision. They are a small software company, building and supporting a niche platform is not viable.

It's a perfectly legitimate reason for them not support linux. Linux is great platform, don't get me wrong, but maybe not in this target market.
sl1pm4t 3:57 AM - 10 May, 2011
Agreed. I use Linux daily for my work (Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS) and love it. In fact I'm writing this from Linux.
But I can't see Serato justifying dev time supporting Linux any time soon.
Numark, Support
sbangs 7:50 PM - 11 May, 2011
Numark has provided the source of the NS7 and V7 drivers to the open source DJ developer MIXX
Numark, Support
sbangs 7:52 PM - 11 May, 2011
Quote:
It's an economic decision. They are a small software company, building and supporting a niche platform is not viable.

It's a perfectly legitimate reason for them not support linux. Linux is great platform, don't get me wrong, but maybe not in this target market.

Indeed we have found in the past that computer based Linux products dont sell well in this market. DJs are scared by having to tweak their settings and OS massively.
hamzter 8:03 PM - 11 May, 2011
sbangs, in your opinion, does Linux tend to be more stable once it is configured? For me, My MAC does well, better than Windows. But I am Linux by trade, so I don't like to play with it when I want to Play with my DVS, Music or Video software.
Numark, Support
sbangs 8:07 PM - 11 May, 2011
Quote:
sbangs, in your opinion, does Linux tend to be more stable once it is configured? For me, My MAC does well, better than Windows. But I am Linux by trade, so I don't like to play with it when I want to Play with my DVS, Music or Video software.

Personally I dont think so but others may disagree. I use macs because they offer a closed system with ensured results. When you start custom building things the risk of conflicts and instability goes up and up. Now factor in that there are very few commercial Linux builds and updates depend on the community things start to look a bit scary. Linux is great for some things im not convinced audio is one of them.
hamzter 9:14 PM - 11 May, 2011
I tend to agree with you there. I am comfortably familiar with all the OS including Unix... not just Linux. But for me, each one has it's place, like each tool has it's job. So I completely understand.
conArtist 6:07 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:
Ubuntu hasn't ditched Xorg, Unity is just a tweaked Gnome 3.

Sorry buddy (sl1pm4t). The whole point of developing unity was to ditch xorg. Gnome is just a window manager that works atop of xorg. Sure they may have borrowed some libraries and or other files. (That is the linux way, duh)

just Google wayland vs xorg and you will be informed.

If you don't know, Unity is based on wayland (opengl display protocol) not Xorg
sl1pm4t 10:58 PM - 12 May, 2011
Well I stand (mostly) corrected. If Linux is finally getting a better display manager then I'm all for it.

However, the Unity WikiPedia page says "Unity is a shell interface for the GNOME Desktop Environment"
en.wikipedia.org(desktop_environment)

Which seems to clash with what you're saying:

Quote:
The whole point of developing unity was to ditch xorg. Gnome is just a window manager that works atop of xorg
If you don't know, Unity is based on wayland (opengl display protocol) not Xorg

It seems clear from what I've read that the *intention* is to replace X with Wayland, but thats not been achieved with 11.04.

For instance, I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity, and I don't even have Wayland installed;

matt@matt-XPS:~$ sudo apt-cache policy unity
unity:
Installed: 3.8.12-0ubuntu1
Candidate: 3.8.12-0ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 3.8.12-0ubuntu1 0
500 au.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
3.8.10-0ubuntu2 0
500 au.archive.ubuntu.com natty/main amd64 Packages

matt@matt-XPS:~$ sudo apt-cache policy wayland
wayland:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.1~git20110214.e4762a6a-0ubuntu1
Version table:
0.1~git20110214.e4762a6a-0ubuntu1 0
500 au.archive.ubuntu.com natty/universe amd64 Packages
conArtist 11:46 PM - 12 May, 2011
@ sl1pm4t

did you clean install or upgrade?

Its definitely available in the repos. Like everything new in linux its considered "beta"....You will probably have to use the opensource drivers as opposed to branded drivers, such as the universal nvidia drivers etc. by 11.10 or 12.4 it will be default I am sure. If not, its not hard to install. Just refine your google search you will find the way, trust me ;).
sl1pm4t 12:37 AM - 13 May, 2011
Mine was a fresh install.

Yes its in the repos, and I could install it. I might try it out when I get a chance.
anicetohevia 3:58 AM - 27 December, 2011
what am i doing?

I still cant djing from my ubuntu, but i linked my Wine directories to _serato_ on my win7 partition (the same on a virtual machine via virtualbox) so i can organize my music, my library w/ my favourites app from ubuntu and prepare my set and my crates (offline) on itch (via wine)

When i have to work, reboot from win7 launch Itch and, volia, my sets are ready to rock the dancefloor (algo es algo)

for me it's so good because i live w/ my ubuntu ON, not only working with the music, and in the win7 partition i have nothing installed but itch (not even an antivirus).

djing production? linux distros are plenty of apps to produce professional sounds, just have to learn to use the jack audio server ;-)

Dj aniceto
CINELLI 10:00 PM - 3 January, 2012
You actually shouldn't and don't need anything special at all. WINE works great at handling Serato Scratch. I've been running it for about 3 months now. With the compatibility layer up (WINE) there's no need to dual boot.
Papa Midnight 11:08 PM - 3 January, 2012
Cinelli: Any chance of recording a video? By the way, many ITCH products are FAR more resource intensive than SSL. I'm just pointing that fact out. While you might be able to get away with SSL, you might not have such luck with a high resource requirement ITCH controller.
anicetohevia 1:25 AM - 4 January, 2012
maybe i don't known how configure WINE, I have Itch running, but it doesn't recognise the midi controller (and appears always Offline)

I don't like to reboot everytime, I would love stay on Ubuntu (or any linux distro).
CINELLI 2:34 AM - 5 January, 2012
Quote:
Cinelli: Any chance of recording a video? By the way, many ITCH products are FAR more resource intensive than SSL. I'm just pointing that fact out. While you might be able to get away with SSL, you might not have such luck with a high resource requirement ITCH controller.

I'll work on a video tonight if I have some time. Which others were you wondering about? I'll try to see what I can do on getting them installed with WINE then I'll write-up a tutorial with screenshots on each and submit it to the guys on the website to see if they'll post it.

I'll just start running through all the downloads and installing them and see how it goes.
CINELLI 2:21 AM - 6 January, 2012
Went out of town for a few days and just got back. I was thinking. Have you guys tried using Mixxx? istead of SSL..It fully supports SL1 and recognized my gear without a problem at all. And it's layout is pretty spot on to SSL. I had Itch working last night. I need to get some video's up. I've been too busy taking notes and writing a script for it to be a seamless transition since things got a little hairy with priority over the driver when I went from Mixxx to Serato.

Anyone else still working on it? Or am I the only one?
Krasslig 3:37 PM - 8 February, 2012
1 linux is not harder than windows to install? ever tried installing ubuntu? much easier imo drivers etc gets installed with nu hustle.
2 dj using linux would grow if we had some support, the only reason i don't use linux to produce is that the software i prefer isn't available on linux, so i have two OSes installed.
3 Linux is growing and with support for it i'm sure you'd gain some money
4 Linux is awesome :D
dj lashes 4:28 PM - 8 February, 2012
Serato + Linux = DJ N.E.R.D take over
"PUT YOUR HANDS UP IN THE AIR!!! PUT YOUR HANDS UP IN THE AIR!!! OK PARTY PEOPLE HOLD ON JUST NEED PLUG IN MY NEW 100TB HARD DRIVE'' HELLLLLL NOOOOO
Papa Midnight 7:10 PM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
1 linux is not harder than windows to install? ever tried installing ubuntu? much easier imo drivers etc gets installed with nu hustle.

Oh...? I say this as a person who uses multiple distros of Linux: Have fun installing PROPER support for NVIDIA gpus.
CINELLI 5:03 AM - 29 February, 2012
serato.com -- I added a little write-up discussing this issue. Take a read.
dj lashes 3:12 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
serato.com -- I added a little write-up discussing this issue. Take a read.

thanks nice read...
elsupermang 9:54 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
2 dj using linux would grow if we had some support, the only reason i don't use linux to produce is that the software i prefer isn't available on linux, so i have two OSes installed.
3 Linux is growing and with support for it i'm sure you'd gain some money
4 Linux is awesome :D

Installing Linux is not hard. Roughing out the edges it whats a pain in the ass. From graphics drivers to media codecs, there's always something that just doesn't work quite right out of the box. God forbid you update down the road and break half the things you fixed. I'm an IT pro and frankly tweaking and playing around was fun back in my teenage years but I don't have time to mess around trying to keep basic things working anymore. It's a good free alternative but it doesn't come without its cons.
diezdiaz 11:23 PM - 29 February, 2012
+ 1

on my second laptop ive got it dual booted with the linux partition for internet exploring. installing linux was like painless.
Viz 3:39 AM - 19 March, 2012
Being able to run itch on fedora or ubuntu would be amazing...

+1 for linux support.

Or even a bootable image of itch that ran on linux. Toss it on a flash drive, plug in a external or internal drive with music and boot it...
Harmonicdreams 5:37 PM - 4 April, 2012
Traktor Runs in Wine. I may Attempt to Get Itch running in Wine aswell I have an older system that with linux low resources may make a very stable solution as well as being able to build a small system with a small lcd into a briefecase without any out of pocket money.
mr187 6:03 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
I don't wanna talk no more! I wanna DJ!

then buy a Mac
mr187 6:27 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Oh...? I say this as a person who uses multiple distros of Linux: Have fun installing PROPER support for NVIDIA gpus.

bump
nvidia drivers are picky if the card wasn't made by nvidia it's self
Massatuho 7:10 AM - 31 August, 2012
I would also like to see a linux version of Itch. Not sure what's the point with everybody bitching about people who would like to have a very stripped down, robust setup for their gig's. I'm constantly worrying that even my stripped down Win7 setup starts doing something crazy during a gig.
Massatuho 7:11 AM - 31 August, 2012
Also, not spending money on a Mac, thanks.
mr187 4:05 PM - 22 October, 2012
a striped down basic version is the best thing to dj with less stuff interfering with Itch
Spectro (Chris) 4:50 AM - 31 October, 2012
Wow Comodor 64 users i salute you
AsylumET 7:00 AM - 28 March, 2014
I have used Linux to 'play' audio but due to the lack of support by any mainstream DJ software titles I do not use Linux to DJ. If the option were available you would likely be amazed to find many DJs would be happily using Linux. I wont hold my breath but it would certainly be nice.
wb303 6:58 PM - 28 August, 2014
I have hesitated to buy serato hardware because it has no linux support. I am in the process of getting all of my hardware away from OSX because I strongly dislike design decisions made in 10.9 and up coming 10.10. If they supported ubuntu with scratch live I would pay thousands tomorrow for serato hardware. I've already invested in bitwig on ubuntu, I hope bitwig is the straw that breaks the "no support for linux" back.
Eric Mosaic 9:30 AM - 1 September, 2014
Ubuntu has come along way of recent years. Now easy to install. Full hardware support by default. You can tell the times are changing as the big game manufacturers are now making their games Linux/Ubuntu compatible.

Ubuntu is the 3rd choice after Windoze and Mac. Hope Serato show they are a forward thinking company and start supporting Linux
assemblyx 11:42 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Ubuntu has come along way of recent years.

Eric Mosaic you are totally right. I just purchased a decent ASUS laptop and it was super friendly for installing duel boot Windows and Ubuntu. Only reason I keep windows around is for Serato and Adobe. I'd pay extra if Serato would support Linux for sure!! Only problem is according to wiki Linux only holds 1.4% of the market. Some how Other beat out Linux whatever other is?!?!

en.wikipedia.org
rebelnz 2:33 AM - 5 July, 2015
+1 for linux support - especially with the way apple is going - some of us like to be in charge of our operating systems - for example install updates as we need - not have them forced on us...
D.u.G 1:47 AM - 9 July, 2015
linux support +1
Mustafa Albazy 9:17 AM - 24 August, 2015
Please support Linux
wb303 3:42 PM - 15 September, 2015
At least support Ubuntu LTS editions, you could even distribute Serato via Steam on linux and they would probably cut a deal to support it.
khy 8:44 PM - 3 May, 2016
mixx
zgrmrts 5:51 PM - 2 May, 2018
Linux support will be appreciated
+1
17tr2 9:13 PM - 2 May, 2018
Has anyone ever tried running Serato under Wine?
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:59 PM - 2 May, 2018
Quote:
Has anyone ever tried running Serato under Wine?

Red or white?
DJ TooHypE 9:12 PM - 1 July, 2018
Quote:
Linux support will be appreciated
+1

Only curious how I'll run.