Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Weird BPM Glitch

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
eder 4:51 AM - 11 July, 2004
I don't know if this has been discussed before (i looked throught the forums and didn't see anything), but when i have a program, like flatfeetpete's or the mixmeister auto-bpm thingy detect the BPMs for files automatically and then have the programs automatically write it into the ID3 tag, all i get is SSL are five squares, like it's unable to display the characters. Is there anything i can do for this short of entering in all of my BPMs manually?
thanx
eder
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 10:41 AM - 11 July, 2004
Could you please email a smallish mp3 with one of these tags (before you play it in Scratch LIVE) to support@serato.com thanks.
Couin 11:24 AM - 11 July, 2004
Quote:
all i get is SSL are five squares, like it's unable to display the characters.

Me too, with the same soft (MixMeister). I think it is because MixMeister give this bpm form : 135,75 (for exemple) and SSL can read that bpm form : 135 (without ,75).

Is it that ? Will it be able to read decimals ?

Thanks !

Couin
nik39 1:45 PM - 11 July, 2004
Couin 2:14 PM - 11 July, 2004
Thanks Nik ;-)
DJ C-Zer 8:30 PM - 15 July, 2004
This is a topic I have brought up that a user at the non-official forum brought up. He recommended me to use MixMeister. So I did and I received the same blocks. The reason for this is that MixMeister puts say for example a 92bpm song in the format of a decimal place 0.92 and by reading it with a good bpm editor ID30-Tag-It (google that app), you can see that in ID3v2 the BPM field is fille diwth 0.92. If you remove the "." you will get 92 which is the accurate value. I have no clue why MixMiester sets it's values in percentage format. SSL will read the value correctly. So my process is:

1) Use mixmeister to BPM values as accurate as possible
2) Use ID3-Tag-it to go through each mp3 and edit out the "."
Please note: some values are 1.0 = 100. So you have to be aware that you have to remove the "." and add two places to the right of that. Basically it's common sense. Hip Hop songs are usually in the low bpms 80s - 105 or so. Higher engergy stuff (house/trance) 115-180.
3) Then use "Steve W" suggestion and delete the database file in your Serato folder (mine is located in my documents/My Music/...)
4) Once the file is deleted, open up SSL and it will reread the bpm fields. This can also be achieved by mapping each track that you changed the bpm values. This can be tedious, but usefull if it's only a few songs changed.

All values should be update. I hope this helps.
djjb 4:20 AM - 21 July, 2004
After working with DJ C-Zer on this, it looks like ID3-TagIT doesn't like BPM's with decimals. Same files tested on some other tagging progs have no problem with what came out of the MixMeister BPM analyzer.
Dj Stubby 6:35 AM - 28 July, 2004
Can the SSL makers please fix the BPM problem on the next version? It would be much appreciated. I'm using the BPM analyzer from Mixmeister as well because its free, automatic, and very efficient. It's very tedious to change each song's bpm tag in SSL so it would be great if we could get this BPM thing figured out. Much love, thanks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 1:43 AM - 29 July, 2004
Hi Stubby. We are looking into it.
DJ C-Zer 6:09 PM - 30 July, 2004
Thanks Sam!
Dj Stubby 5:20 AM - 31 July, 2004
Yes thanks a bunch. I recently was able to get SSL to read the BPM tags but when I mapped it, it showed up as squares again. Its a work in progress.
DJCQ103 12:12 PM - 31 July, 2004
i'm having the same problem at dj stubby. ssl reads bpm but later shows up at squares again while track is playing....weird
Couin 1:11 PM - 31 July, 2004
Because MixMeister makes xxx.xx BPM , and SSL can read xxx bpm (without decimals).
DC Shine 10:34 PM - 1 August, 2004
Using Mixmeister, I analyze the mp3s, i get all squares in SSL, so I open all the files in Dr. Tag and round to the nearest decimal point, and in SSL a recognizable, and working BPM...
DJ Dynamight 3:55 AM - 2 August, 2004
The only way I can get SSL to read BPMs calculated by MixMeister BPM Analyzer is to use iTunes to convert the id3 tags to v2.3 after they've been scanned by MixMeister.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 4:07 AM - 2 August, 2004
The next release of Scratch LIVE will support reading BPM tags with decimal places.
DJCQ103 8:00 AM - 2 August, 2004
yay!
T-One 8:17 AM - 2 August, 2004
cool!!
STRyk 7:10 PM - 2 August, 2004
Hummmm... i think there will be a problem: iTunes manages only 3 digits fot BPM in tags...
nik39 8:28 PM - 2 August, 2004
iTunes only takes integer BPMs anyway... I doubt you have songs which have more than 3 digit-integer bpms :-)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:30 AM - 3 August, 2004
Scratch LIVE will only display whole numbers in the BPM field.
However, it will read BPMs with decimal places, and not remove the extra information.
Dj Stubby 8:15 AM - 3 August, 2004
Right on. Thanks Sam. Any idea of when the new update will be available?
techonenyc 3:34 AM - 29 September, 2004
3) Then use "Steve W" suggestion and delete the database file in your Serato folder (mine is located in my documents/My Music/...)

Hey thanks this sounds like it'll definitely work! but, what's the database file name u need to delete, and where's it at?

appreciate it!
nik39 10:01 AM - 29 September, 2004
Its call "database" and its stored inside the ".ScratchLive" folder on each drive where the mp3s reside, except the c: drive on windows, there it will save it in the folder "my documents.../.....". You have to make sure that your explorer shows you hidden directories and files.
techonenyc 4:15 PM - 29 September, 2004
Hey thanks Nik39 :)
i'll check it out later when i get home... busy at work, ha-ha.

i tried figuring out a way to export the id3 tag info from id3-tag-it in a batch, but had no success. figured it would be great to be able to automate everything, but it doesn't look that way,,, or i'm just cross eyed.
nik39 4:35 PM - 29 September, 2004
What do you mean you want to export the id3 tags from your app in a batch? Export from your app to ... ?
techonenyc 7:44 PM - 29 September, 2004
BPM and id3 tagging (please disregard this nagging nik39,)

three hours of research, and nothing still... perhaps if it is this involved it may not be worth it... djing should not be like computer programming.

i've tried various tag editing programs, all can export. but when editing the tag the bpm tag is never included, nor is it detailed in the exported file.

re-Importing a list is also quite a task, mapping fields are required, none of which have bpm (is tempo the tag label? because it is blank when checking it using tag editors, but the windows property labels bpm as bpm)...

anyways, i've convinced myself to sit down and enter all the bpms into serato manually... it's got to be done...

just trying to keep spinning from becoming a J-O-B.

where are the lady dj's out there?
nik39 8:19 PM - 29 September, 2004
Hm, I still dont understand your problem. What I understood is, you want BPM tags in your tracks. You entered them with a different app, and then you switch to SSL and the bpms dont show up? Is that what you mean?
Ratko 3:11 AM - 30 September, 2004
I am glad I am not the only one who got this BPM problem!
Hope the Guys from Serato will fix this soon.

Anyway got my SSL today! And I'm lovin it!

I think I will still use my vinyl records for the next 2-3
Months, till my MP3 and iTunes Colection is good enough!
techonenyc 4:26 AM - 3 October, 2004
Quote:
Hm, I still dont understand your problem. What I understood is, you want BPM tags in your tracks. You entered them with a different app, and then you switch to SSL and the bpms dont show up? Is that what you mean?

yep... i use id tag it to tag the music, and it does show up, just fine in ssl... so that part is GREAT.

if only beatmeister would edit the id3 tag perfectly life would be peachy. instead beatmeister puts strange characters in and one correct digit of the bpm... so i've been editing them manually... no biggie.

i figured even if i figured out how to batch process the bpm, i would still have to edit it somewhere, even if it were in excel. so... i'll manually enter them... once their done, their done... wooo haaaa.

thanks all the same nik39... u guys post !quick!
Ratko 9:12 PM - 3 October, 2004
I tried to modify the ID3 Tags manually.
Still won't show up right on SSL.
Got about 6 ID3 Tag Editors.
Which Application are you using techonenyc?
Can U post a link?

THANKS
nik39 10:03 PM - 3 October, 2004
Ratko, you MUST re-read the tags! Delete the database (search this forum how to do that) and then restart SSL, it will rescan all files and their tags.
Ratko 10:27 PM - 11 October, 2004
Thanks nik39!

I figured that already out on my own!

:-)