Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Anyone else think that the ITCH GUI isn't pretty.

chims 3:51 AM - 2 October, 2009
I'm just being critical with my opinion, but still a devoted user—real talk.

Serato's GUI looks good—not great. The ITCH interface looks... well, like MAC OS 8. It's very flat and blocky for the lack of a better description. It's sort of like a well developed website that's designed by the developers if you know what I mean. ITCH has a chance to evolve not just as software, but it's whole personality. It's fairly new and has lots of room for growth and improvements. I hope in the future versions of ITCH comes improved GUI. Just sayin...
Cid K 4:15 AM - 2 October, 2009
+1
djricky305 4:20 AM - 2 October, 2009
+1 here too.
kraal 5:01 AM - 2 October, 2009
i like it... all othe GUI's look like a game of candy land to me :)
PPIP 5:10 AM - 2 October, 2009
I tink the looks are just fine. When you see Itch for the first time you immediately understand what everything means. It is real WYSIWYG. The contrast in colors are good in a darker environment like a club.

So for me please no fancy looks. I use Itch for serious business and not to please my eyes.
casket hands 5:58 AM - 2 October, 2009
As long as it looks like ssl I'm happy to ride the proxy positivety in the face of all the haters.
chims 6:06 AM - 2 October, 2009
I'm all for the minimalistic approach as there already is too much going on. All I'm saying is, it could be better—much better.
KLH 6:19 AM - 2 October, 2009
I too used to think that the GUI was ugly. After I realized that the goal is not to be glued to it, I warmed to it. It's basic and functional.

Any prettier and it'd be a distration.

-KLH
l.rmx 6:44 AM - 2 October, 2009
i like it
marcA 6:54 AM - 2 October, 2009
it is a functional gui, not eye candy
building apps myself, this is not an easy task to get the right balans between eye candy and staying on top of what the screen needs to provide.
and i guess serato is investing a lot of time in designing the screen/colors.

but i must say that the screenshot i saw containing 4 decks was not what i expected :), but then again i didn't have to think about it how to design it...

overal, being minimalistic isn't that bad, as long as you have the info you want to see
$.02
djtornado 8:44 AM - 2 October, 2009
i do not like the GUI of itch .. it does not look pro.
kraal 8:45 AM - 2 October, 2009
so what actually'looks pro' ?
djtornado 8:46 AM - 2 October, 2009
ssl does.
kraal 8:48 AM - 2 October, 2009
actually i should say 'define pro'
cause what ever the gui looks like it isnt what the customers see. and even if they do they don't care :)
djtornado 8:57 AM - 2 October, 2009
sure the customer do not care , but we as djs care .. don't agree that all our careers we r looking for the right tool to dj , coz when u have that right tool u can give the best of u... the right tool means that feeling between u and ur equipment . don't u see that djs customize and add colors to their cdjs ,mixers , turntable .... we too would like that with itch. it's that comfort that some djs get from certain color.. that comfort will definitely shows in their mixes.
chims 9:06 AM - 2 October, 2009
kraal and djtornado, you guys lost me. Aren't DJs the customers?

Don't get me wrong, the functionality is there, but the GUI sort of looks like the birth child of this OS (www.harding.edu) and this OS (appledifferent.com) after they boom boom powwed. just sayin...
kraal 9:09 AM - 2 October, 2009
ok i am backing out of this conversation cause look professional and able to customize are two completely different things to me... so i have nothing further to add
djcerla 9:11 AM - 2 October, 2009
A girl should be "pretty"... a GUI is a tool of work. It has to deliver tons of infos at a glance, in the chaotic club environment. That's where Traktor, VDJ fail miserably.

ITCH GUI was love at first sight for me... and I know a thing or two about usability and ergonomics. This said, things will evolve, 2.0 will look slightly different (More cluttered IMHO, but someone likes clutter here)
DJdaveZ 9:48 AM - 2 October, 2009
i remember that apple OS!!! :)
KLH 3:42 PM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
so what actually'looks pro' ?

Quote:
ssl does.

Umm - SSL has the same GUI with more "on it" because SSL doesn't have dedicated hardware. Now that I'm used to ITCH, SSL seems very busy and distracting.

Quote:
... so i have nothing further to add

+1 - this is a needless thread. To put more eye-candy on the GUI is contrary to the REASON for ITCH's simplicity.

-KLH
DJ.AJ 10:16 PM - 2 October, 2009
as a software builder myself, it's ok. i would like the ability to hide some stuff though or maybe auto hide/show
Cid K 10:25 PM - 2 October, 2009
Yeah that be nice feature. Like on Traktor, where you can hide stuff or maximize stuff at will.
seratosnatch 1:18 PM - 3 October, 2009
I think it is minimal and clean, but I think a slight tweak in design and maybe closer to SSL style of design would be nice for a future update.
elsupermang 9:37 PM - 3 October, 2009
I think the ITCH GUI is fine. Personally I thought the SSL GUI looks a lil sloppy but it has so much more stuff on there anyways.
KLH 3:31 AM - 4 October, 2009
Bottom line: it's good enough for right now. There are bigger things that are currently missing. In terms of priority:

* Effects
* Sampler
* Video
* Efficiency (meaning optimized code)
* Ableton integration
* SSL interchangability
* Stability improvement
* (Bunch of other things that I cannot think about)
* GUI

-KLH
Maskrider 5:05 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:
A girl should be "pretty"... a GUI is a tool of work. It has to deliver tons of infos at a glance, in the chaotic club environment. That's where Traktor, VDJ fail miserably.

ITCH GUI was love at first sight for me... and I know a thing or two about usability and ergonomics. This said, things will evolve, 2.0 will look slightly different (More cluttered IMHO, but someone likes clutter here)

I stopped reading the post when I saw this.
djcerla 5:08 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:
I stopped reading the post when I saw this.

could you please elaborate? thank you.
Maskrider 5:15 PM - 4 October, 2009
That GUI's should'nt be cluttered and easy on the eyes. I personally hate Tractors GUI.
djcerla 5:19 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:
I personally hate Tractors GUI.

+1, even if I've spent a lot of money on every release of Traktor since 2003! (maybe that's exactly why I hate it)

Sorry Maskrider, I thought you disliked my post, my bad.