Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Vestax VCI 300 & Serato Itch VS Pioneer CDJ 800s & Serato Scratch Live?

josue-alou 9:23 PM - 30 September, 2009
Hey guys, I've been a happy owner of my vestax vci 300 for a few months now, but feel like i want to upgrade. I'm looking @ a set of pioneer CDJ 800s and serato scratch live?

Anyone out there have both the vci 300 and pioneer CDJ 800s? Can you tell me how the response on the cdj 800s compares to the vci 300 platters when scratching? Which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
kraal 9:28 PM - 30 September, 2009
whats you reason for choosing those ?
DJ MDX 9:36 PM - 30 September, 2009
I have SSL and had CDJ-800/1000s and currently have DVJ's.

I will tell you that I use the VCI more than the others and I LOVE the 1 to 1 of midi control on the VCI.

I would say to answer your question in regards to, "Can you tell me how the response on the cdj 800s compares to the vci 300 platters when scratching?" I would say their response is exactly the same with maybe a little tighter on the VCI due to no time code.

If your only reason for "updgrading" is for platter response then you really won't notice much difference - preference is what you may notice more in terms of size and differences in ITCH and SSL.

I hope that helps.
djcerla 9:43 PM - 30 September, 2009
I'd rename the topic: "VESTAX VCI 300 & SERATO ITCH VS PIONEER CDJ 800S & SERATO SCRATCH LIVE & ANDREA BOCELLI IN CONCERT", just to spice things up a bit.
Zuck 9:46 PM - 30 September, 2009
LOL. What, seen this questions before or something...

I have both, the CDJ 800 MKII's and Scratch as well as the VCI-300 and Itch. I like them both. I tend to use the VCI a little more just because of ease of use and portability but it really depends on what type of gig I'm doing.

As far as scratching goes I feel the response is the same but the feel of the 800's is better. You have a larger surface so you can get a broader stroke to to your scratch motion and your wrist doesn't feel all cramped up. The VCI platters have more "weight" to them but at the end of the day it just comes down to what feels go to you.

Look, I'm not gonna act like I'm a turntabelist by any means but my simple opinion is that if you're deciding between the two and you got the money and don't care about lugging them around then the 800's just feel better. The deciding factor may be more about the sampler or other features that differ between Itch and Scratch.
josue-alou 2:36 AM - 1 October, 2009
Thanks for your opinions/feedback so far guys.

My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are the features that scratch has over itch (sampler, better sound etc) I'm also looking at getting a ttm57sl which would enable me to use fx in scratch.

I'm not sure though yet though, cus I really really like the vestax vci 300. I just feel a bit limited with it sometimes.
kraal 5:27 AM - 1 October, 2009
wait for the 2.0 update before spending any money....
Rebelguy 6:25 AM - 1 October, 2009
Quote:
Thanks for your opinions/feedback so far guys.

My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are the features that scratch has over itch (sampler, better sound etc) I'm also looking at getting a ttm57sl which would enable me to use fx in scratch.

I'm not sure though yet though, cus I really really like the vestax vci 300. I just feel a bit limited with it sometimes.

The 57 FX are pretty medicore. Hopefully the 2.0 effects are better.
chims 6:25 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been a happy owner of my vestax vci 300 for a few months now, but feel like i want to upgrade. I'm looking @ a set of pioneer CDJ 800s and serato scratch live?

Anyone out there have both the vci 300 and pioneer CDJ 800s? Can you tell me how the response on the cdj 800s compares to the vci 300 platters when scratching? Which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I have both setups. If you're just asking about scratching... Coming from traditional 1200's and Vestax 07 setup, I'd go with the CDJ's + 57SL. Much more responsive when it comes to scratching. I have to beg to differ about Zucks response. IMHO, the scratching on the VCI-300 seems to have a latency issue, or perhaps the crossfader isn't nearly as sharp as the 57SL. It takes some gettin used to. But you should hit up a GC or Sam Ash or wherever to get your hands on and try it for yourself to make the decision based on your comfort. As djs Deeznotes and Senile prove, you can still fuck shit up on the VCI-300 just as hard.

The 300 does the job well for any event in terms of mixing. It's another story if you're asking about effects and midi and control and quality and so on and so on...
Pilotuser 8:22 AM - 8 October, 2009
With ITCH 2.0 ... Scratch Live will not be as much as an Upgrade anymore ... ITCH seems to be moving Pretty Fast FWD ... However SL is long established and way more stable soft/hard from what we hear here...and will sure not be left behind track vs ITCH. I am looking for a SL3 box for me to use with my CDJ 400s

800s great platters givivng u breathing Room ...and Pioneer Quality is Top Notch!! ... but no HID support .. no MIDI ... So u need Timecodes and will miss info in cdj display.

In Addition if u just decide to buy an SL3 box u will have to use ur mouse a lot , unless u get a MIDI controller hooked up for library scrolling ,,,sampler triggers etc...IF u get the TTM it has all u need in terms of controlls there to avoid mouse..

Your question sounds like good looking women...I want them ALL! ...
sheeno 9:15 AM - 8 October, 2009
If you want scratching performance, why dont you get a second hand pair of sl-1200s to use with SSL? They are gong dirt cheap and will last forever.

Also a point to note is that whatever gear you decide on, the performance (latency) will only be as good as the laptop you are using...
unofficialghost 8:58 AM - 1 March, 2010
i have both setups. honestly i love the vci for mixing and parties, but when it comes to scratching i stick with tts or cdjs. I'm not sure what you've heard, but, for me, the latency on the cdjs is pretty low with my macbook 2.4 ghz. i can barely tell the difference. the vci response is much slower i think, plus it crashes every now and then. not a real big deal, just a little irritating. i think if you are gonna dish the cash flow out, you should go ahead and get some used mark 2 cdjs instead of 800s OR get some denon s3700s (they take usb devices as well and can act as a controller in ssl). There isn't that much of a difference b/w a cdj 1000 mk3 and an mk2. what i like about the mk2a is you can use the hotcue features if you decide to just use cds. Also, if you get scratch you can also use turntables, so that is a definite plus. I think, i use my vci the most for parties, but if i had a preference i would use my cdjs with serato and my denon dnhc1000 (it gives the hotcues back to the cdjs and the autoloop function is just like the vci's!).
djp818 9:11 AM - 23 June, 2011
I would go with the cdj800. Your at a gig and your PC crashes. You can put about 100 mp3s per cd take 20 cds with you and you got 2000 songs.