DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

so the rane power supply rs1 IS a phone jack...

djphilly 4:27 AM - 31 July, 2006
been doing some reasearch and found that it's an RJ11 6pin connector. thought it was interesting.
s42000 5:59 AM - 31 July, 2006
..... we've dealt with this before -> scratchlive.net
rfnunchuks 6:14 AM - 31 July, 2006
i still think that sucks ass. why can't it have the same power chord as the rest of my equipment. every thing i own either has the computer chord type input or the 2 prong-ish input. hmmm.. that sounded really technical. i'll look it up on google when i'm not so "lazy."
MusicMeister 8:55 AM - 31 July, 2006
If you read the Rane site you'll know that they appealed to the the ISAC for consideration to create a standard external power adapter. This went on for more than a year with no success. The power supply design is not an easy thing to do and a standard would have solved a LOT of problems.

However, in the end a lot of Rane equipment uses the same power supply as a result. That includes my Rane FPM 42.
Dj KaGeN 6:05 PM - 31 July, 2006
Granted the little clip is easy to break off, but the tool to replace the end and getting a new clip is rather inexpensive. Having a slim phone cable is much nicer than the bulky thick cord that the PC world has taken as a standard.
Pete Moss 6:14 PM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
You can also use a regular phone splitter and phone cords to run power to a couple Rane items and only use one power supply. I've been doing it for years.

It really does work, I only have one power supply in my rack
punosion 6:18 PM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
Granted the little clip is easy to break off, but the tool to replace the end and getting a new clip is rather inexpensive. Having a slim phone cable is much nicer than the bulky thick cord that the PC world has taken as a standard.

I simply disagree with that...especially in a setup where someone might disconnect the cable, wrap it up, then reconnect the gear, over and over. That tab catches on pretty much anything and is so easy to pull out...that, and no stress relief with those cables. If they had molded ends with stress reliefs, like some of the "deluxe" ethernet cables, that'd be much nicer.
nik39 6:21 PM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
If they had molded ends with stress reliefs, like some of the "deluxe" ethernet cables, that'd be much nicer.

Agreed. How often has it happened that I pulled those cheap ethernet cables and broke the tab? Too often.

Good that with the TTM57 its a standard 3pin power cable connector.
Dj KaGeN 6:27 PM - 31 July, 2006
Being in IT, I guess I don't pull those cables like that due to that happening. I generally take a little more care to feed the wire thru - not yank. I do see your point, broke a few off in my day, and got practice fixing them...
punosion 6:29 PM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
Being in IT, I guess I don't pull those cables like that due to that happening. I generally take a little more care to feed the wire thru - not yank. I do see your point, broke a few off in my day, and got practice fixing them...

Yep yep, I'm just thinking of the general populace who might not take care of their gear as they should. ;) I completely support Rane's thinking on the whole universal power supply idea, though.
NOMOLOS JD 7:13 PM - 31 July, 2006
Speaking of which, Does anyone on these message boards, here in Atlanta, have the tools to fix my power supply for my 56? I refuse to buy the necessary tools to fix the RS1 Plug. So if anyone here in ATL wants to fix mine for free, PM me, I'll get you high or buy you a beer or somethin.
s42000 9:53 PM - 31 July, 2006
Quote:
Speaking of which, Does anyone on these message boards, here in Atlanta, have the tools to fix my power supply for my 56? I refuse to buy the necessary tools to fix the RS1 Plug. So if anyone here in ATL wants to fix mine for free, PM me, I'll get you high or buy you a beer or somethin.

PM Me
DJ Jayzon 10:02 PM - 31 July, 2006
I seem to be losing those little fuckers all the time.

Two weeks ago I was playing out and brought my mixer, got drunk, played some music, got home, changed bags, went to airport (still very very drunk). Two weeks later without touching a record I thought it would be quite fun to do some mixing, not very fun without any power to the mixer though!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:06 PM - 31 July, 2006
has anyone tried plugging their phone jack into the mixer? you can make long distance calls for hella cheap rates

thanks im new
jizzer 11:04 PM - 31 July, 2006
^^lol
Dj KaGeN 11:05 PM - 31 July, 2006
"If you'd like to make a call, please hangup and try again. If you feel as though you have reached this recording in error, please hang up and dial the number again. Thank you."
DJ GaFFle 2:32 AM - 1 August, 2006
Though I think the TTM56 is a near perfect mixer, the decision maker(s) of that wack a$$ RJ-11 power plug need to be fired!
Julls 2:37 AM - 1 August, 2006
I answear mixer for my phone. I can help. Thanks i'm new.
punosion 3:07 AM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
Though I think the TTM56 is a near perfect mixer, the decision maker(s) of that wack a$$ RJ-11 power plug need to be fired!

Erm...this was something bred out of the company's product philosophy. What would you do...fire the whole company? Check it out:

www.rane.com
MusicMeister 5:09 AM - 1 August, 2006
Actually, the plug is a great design - downright ingenious if you ask me. The problem lies in the fact that we tear down and set up multiple times a week. If you had everything in a coffin case and didn't unplug it constantly would you still have a proble? Think about it...

Besides, with the RJ11 design you don't have to worry about it unplugging like catching a 'normal' barrel style plug will.

And if you're replacing the plug on the end you can always slap a stress relief on the end similar to the ethernet style if you can find one - or use the ethernet version and put some silicone sealant around it to hold it in place.
punosion 5:06 PM - 1 August, 2006
It's definitely a compromise to some people, depending on which way you go. Why not use the 3-prong grounded power supply like a computer? Did Rane just go a step further to differentiate their standard from others already established?
MusicMeister 5:11 PM - 1 August, 2006
Using a 3 pronged power supply feeds 110/220 volts into the device. Keeping the power supply externally allows for a number of things:

1. It's safer. You don't have any high voltage/high current in the device that could shock you if you spill a drink on your mixer.

2. It's quieter. The noise generated by power supplies can be VERY high and impact the audio quality greatly. By leaving the power supply external you remove the noisy electronics from the dedicated audio portion.

There are plenty of other reasons, but these are the big ones...
punosion 5:27 PM - 1 August, 2006
Yeah...kinda' forgot that "keep the power supply away from the electronics" idea, which is a huge factor in their whole power brick philosophy. So, you can have a computer power supply cable going from the wall to the brick, but then you have to do something from the brick to the mixer...hence the phone cord jack. Hmm, need more coffee...thinking aloud, don't mind me...
nik39 5:27 PM - 1 August, 2006
...good reasons.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:04 PM - 1 August, 2006
ok, this just in.

i inserted my RJ45 CAT5 cable and now have highspeed broadband internet connection (1.5Mbsp give or take a few kilobits) on my Rane MP22z.

thanks i'm u know watt (knew)
DJ GaFFle 7:22 PM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
Actually, the plug is a great design - downright ingenious if you ask me. The problem lies in the fact that we tear down and set up multiple times a week. If you had everything in a coffin case and didn't unplug it constantly would you still have a proble? Think about it...

Besides, with the RJ11 design you don't have to worry about it unplugging like catching a 'normal' barrel style plug will.

And if you're replacing the plug on the end you can always slap a stress relief on the end similar to the ethernet style if you can find one - or use the ethernet version and put some silicone sealant around it to hold it in place.

I don't agree. They know mixers are used by mobile DJ's and it must take road rigors and other abuse. That plug is the TTM's 'achilles heel'. Why should the consumer have to go and install some barrely-style plug on their $700+ mixer? The manufacturer should have at least done that.
Enuff ranting though. I'll take my TTM56 over anyone's Hak, d2 or Vestax anyday.
Pete Moss 7:32 PM - 1 August, 2006
My mixer never leaves it's case; it's ten years old and has zero fatigue or stress at the power supply.
NotoriousM.I.T. 7:56 PM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
ok, this just in.

i inserted my RJ45 CAT5 cable and now have highspeed broadband internet connection (1.5Mbsp give or take a few kilobits) on my Rane MP22z.

thanks i'm u know watt (knew)

wow that is the nice. i inserted the dialup and now i have aol on my ttm56. i have 1000 free hours!!! now i can play online and do the final scratching

thanks im new.
Pete Moss 8:04 PM - 1 August, 2006
Can I dial in and listen next time your playing?
rfnunchuks 8:13 PM - 1 August, 2006
mike tried to hack into my mixer but my liarwall caught his bullshit.
Pete Moss 8:17 PM - 1 August, 2006
I hate when I get pop-ups on my mixer. Just the other day "Flashdance" popped up.
MusicMeister 4:36 AM - 2 August, 2006
Just a quick FYI....

Phones lines carry a -40VDC voltage so plugging them into your mixer isn't a good idea.... and if it rings when you're plugged in you just put over 100volts through your mixer.

Want to have fun sometime? Give a friend the two wires from a phone connection and dial the number.

If you plug into a digital phone network the voltages can be much, much, higher...

All that aside....

you guys crack me up...
Hawk 6:12 PM - 22 March, 2009
I thought I'd bump this rather than start a new thread. I just ran into the ttm 56 power issue after the clip on the connector broke as I was setting up for a gig Friday night. The mixer lost power twice during my gig despite being taped in place, and of course while vigorously scratching - ARRRGH. Very embarrassing. Anyway, I went to Source (formerly Radio Shack here in Canada) and got a 3-1 crimping tool and a pack of 10 or so 6-pin connectors. Even though I've never done this kind of repair before, it was very easy (helps to have the right tool for the job - the crimper also has a cord stripper on it) and my power cord is as good as new. From now on, the crimping tool and a few extra connectors will be in my emergency tool kit which I take to gigs. Here's the crimping tool, which cost $39.95:

www.foodfunk.ca
Hawk 6:13 PM - 22 March, 2009
Oh, that should read 3-in-1, not 3-1.
Dj Shamann 8:05 PM - 22 March, 2009
I thought 56's used a standard U Ground, I could've swore the couple that I've rented were on this plug. I have a 54 so I'm cursed with the flimsy RJ11 but I thought they had done away with that after the 54
Tunecrew 8:28 PM - 22 March, 2009
i think economics are a big factor in the external supply too:

1 - only have to design and manufacture one supply for many products- economies of scale kick in

2 - i think items that run on mains need to be UL listed (for liability reasons probably) - this costs time and money. Once you have the supply approved though, you don't have to UL list the products they power, since they're not hooking up directly to the main
Hawk 9:00 PM - 22 March, 2009
Quote:
I thought 56's used a standard U Ground, I could've swore the couple that I've rented were on this plug. I have a 54 so I'm cursed with the flimsy RJ11 but I thought they had done away with that after the 54

Nope. RJ11 on the ttm 56 too. Now that I know I can easily replace it in a minute flat, I'm actually really happy with it.
feniks 2:09 AM - 29 March, 2009
random 56 rant --> kinda bummed they took away the fader modes on the new 56S.

continue.
djdragon 3:28 AM - 29 March, 2009
there is a great story behind why Rane uses a phone jack for the power plug, and it has to do with their founder being a nut job LOL
DJ TOGTFO 9:13 AM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:
there is a great story behind why Rane uses a phone jack for the power plug, and it has to do with their founder being a nut job LOL

lol... I never heard the story and couldn't find the answer via google. Can soeone please enlighten me?
nik39 1:03 PM - 29 March, 2009
What's a "nut job"?
djdragon 3:28 PM - 29 March, 2009
I was told this story 15 years ago by a Rane rep.

Supposedly back in the early late 80's, early 90's there was a meeting to discuss the design of piece of equipment (as I recall it was a Dj mixer) and when he was questioned why use a telephone jack for the power supply he took the unit and started swinging the unit around above his head by the power cable and proclaimed "because it works".
DJ GaFFle 3:56 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
I was told this story 15 years ago by a Rane rep.

Supposedly back in the early late 80's, early 90's there was a meeting to discuss the design of piece of equipment (as I recall it was a Dj mixer) and when he was questioned why use a telephone jack for the power supply he took the unit and started swinging the unit around above his head by the power cable and proclaimed "because it works".

The dumbass should of at least used an RJ-45 with a jacket protector. Dumbest power-supply ever...
Ben Butter 2:09 AM - 9 January, 2015
Quote:
What's a "nut job"?

Nik39--
to answer you 6 years later--
the term "nut job" means "crazy, not a normal thinker" or "a person whose ideas make NO sense."
Ben Butter 2:13 AM - 9 January, 2015
I've been using a Sixty-One since spring 2014 and I'm about to sell my TTM-56 (bought in 2003, greatest mixer ever). It's in perfect condition...EXCEPT a piece of the phone-like plug broke off many years ago. I never replaced it...I just put 1 piece of tape over the jack and kept the 56 in a case all the time. I just bought some 6-pin plugs and a crimping tool from Radioshack to attach one before selling it.
dj bmanic 12:59 AM - 16 April, 2016
does anyone know where to buy a RJ11 power supply for the tom 56? on line or locally in the New York Area???? thanks guys great tips
Ben Butter 8:49 PM - 25 September, 2016
BManic--I hope you found one/can find one. Do you have one already that is damaged...or do you not have one at all?
DJ Ed Wong 8:25 PM - 21 March, 2017
f you want to "roll your own" Rane Power Supply, this will help explain what to do and WHY

www.epanorama.net

Here's the spec sheet for the "OEM" power supply, if you would rather replicate that

www.rane.com

and here's the "why" of what appears to be a half baked idea (which really isnt)

www.schematicsforfree.com

I haven't built my own substitute power supply yet, but I plan to - as Rane equipment MISSING the power supply box can be had for cheap.

Basically - a pair of $10 wall warts, an RJ-45 "wall plate" from Home Depot, and standard RJ-45 6 conductor (flipped or straight through - it wont matter!) and some work with a wire cutter and violia - Rane Power Supply.