Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Songs skip when using 1 turntable to control both decks

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
prof. rockwell 4:24 PM - 29 July, 2006
OK, tried doing a search for this, but was not finding any relevant results, so apologies if this has been addressed before.

I occasionally use SSL with one turntable to control both decks on the computer. I've noticed that when switching between decks (using ctrl-shift-/) sometimes one of the decks will cut out and throw my mix off beat. Do I need to fiddle with my buffer size to compensate for this?

G4 Powerbook 1.5gHz
1.25 gig RAM
SSL version 1.5

thanks!
prof. rockwell 4:30 PM - 29 July, 2006
forgot: OS X 10.4.7 and I disable my wireless/airport as well.
nik39 1:07 PM - 30 July, 2006
Exactly when does this happen? How does your tracking look like? Do you get any usb dropouts? Did you try SSL version 1.6.1?
prof. rockwell 5:16 PM - 1 August, 2006
Quote:
Exactly when does this happen? How does your tracking look like? Do you get any usb dropouts? Did you try SSL version 1.6.1?

It happens when I switch the control from one deck to another when both decks are playing simultaneously: i.e. deck one is in rel. mode, deck two is in abs. mode. I drop the track loaded in deck one into the mix, and switch over to deck two (ctrl-shift-/) to mix out (backspin/stop/powerdown, etc) and as I hit the reverse input command, deck two will drop out for a split second causing my mix to get thrown off.

tracking is good - 95-100%, no USB dropouts. Tried it with SSL 1.6.1 and had the same problem. But it doesn't happen EVERY time. maybe every 2nd or 3rd time I reverse input during a mix session.

I tried different USB buffer and audio cache settings to no avail.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:05 PM - 1 August, 2006
Mixing with only one turntable

The following is a step-by-step description of mixing using a standard 2-channel mixer, with one turntable set up on the right
hand side of the mixer. In this example, all mixing is done with the mixer crossfader.
1. Load a track onto the right deck in Scratch LIVE and play it in abs mode. The crossfader is set to the right hand side.
2. Put the left hand deck into int mode and load a track.
3. Flick the reverse input control switch. The physical record now controls the left hand deck in Scratch LIVE, and the right hand channel of Scratch LIVE plays on in int mode.
4. Cue the record and mix in the track. Note that you will be using what feels like the wrong channel of your DJ mixer to do this the crossfader will be moving away from the turntable.
5. Having completed the first mix, flick the reverse input control switch. The track you just mixed in will play on in int mode, and the physical record is now back to controlling the right hand deck in Scratch LIVE.
6. Load a track on to the right deck in Scratch LIVE, and mix as normal.
7. Flick the reverse input control switch.
8. Load a track on the left deck, and mix — moving the cross fader the wrong way.
9. Flick the reverse input control switch, and repeat.

It should work properly using it this way.
prof. rockwell 5:46 PM - 3 August, 2006
Hey Zach,

The procedure you listed is exactly how I have been using one turntable with SSL (albeit my tt was on the left, not the right) and the problem I have is on step 5, when I flick the reverse input control swith after completing the mix, the song that switches from int mode stutters or skips, thus throwing off my mix by a beat. I did notice that you specified ABS mode, and I was using REL mode. would this cause the stuttering/skipping problem?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:00 PM - 3 August, 2006
This mode is intended to be used once you've completed your mix from one song to the next.
When you've finished your mix into the current track you click 'input reverse' to switch sides.
You said in a previous post that you were using Abs and Rel modes?
Is that true?
prof. rockwell 8:50 PM - 7 August, 2006
Quote:

You said in a previous post that you were using Abs and Rel modes?
Is that true?

I'm using Rel and Int modes.
prof. rockwell 9:35 PM - 7 August, 2006
so, you're not supposed to use the reverse input switch while both decks are playing back? I think that may be my problem because I am reversing input while both decks are playing back at the same time...
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:46 PM - 7 August, 2006
No.. switch it over once your finished the mix:)
prof. rockwell 6:13 PM - 9 August, 2006
Quote:
No.. switch it over once your finished the mix:)

got it. Thanks zach!