DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My new DDJ 1000 SRT, Well here are my first impressions.

Gjem1 11:40 PM - 7 May, 2020
I just swapped from my one year old DDJ SX3 to the DDJ 1000 SRT.

Being a new DJ ( 1 year ) and since i never used any other controller or CDJ's before, I'm a bit half and half about my new controller.

The goods (imo) of the 1000 compare to the SX3:

-CDJ size and adjustable jog wheel with a bit of info on them.
-14 Fx directly from the controller and all post faders.
-Better location of the pitch slider
-Direct beatgrid slide adjustment.
-Cueable sampler.
-Better crossfader.

The not good (again imo) of the 1000 compare to the SX3.

-All the faders are on the flimzy side compare to the SX3. (loose knobs, up/down and sideways.)

-Beat looping (other than 4 beats) is awkward, you always need 2 hands to chose other than 4 beats... I find the beat looping on the SX3 better than the 1000 since you can pre-determine and select easely in advance the lengh needed (8-16-32) for your upcoming mix without having to press Hold and other buttons (hence 2 hands) and it snap to the beat grid. Big Big negative for me as i use 8 and 16 beats looping quite a bit.

-The sound color JET effect button on the SX3 is replace by a Pitch button that i just find terrible. I tried to play around with enigma Jet and it is just not the same. I loved my JET button effect...

-The flip is awkward and not displayed at all but i rarely use it anyway. (Only on old disco songs that have no intro or breaks)

Sooo, just because i wanted bigger jog wheels with info on them to look more ''professional'', there is not much more to this controller than my SX3 and i almost wish that i could return it but the merchant is not willing to help me with that. I will keep my SX3 just in case i decide to get rid of the 1000 in the next month or so... or maybe i will eventually get use to it...

Like i said, they are my very first impressions lol.

Cheers
dj_soo 12:14 AM - 8 May, 2020
Just remap the looping controls to the same as the sx3 - it’s fairly easy to do.
funkyfresh2012 1:22 AM - 8 May, 2020
IMO, the SX3 feels like what a controller should feel like and the SRT feels more like traditional CDJ’s and a DJM mixer. Depending on your style of mixing, both are great. I love my SRT and prefer it over the SX3. I sold my SX3 and never looked back.
djhouse 1:59 AM - 8 May, 2020
Gjem1; I have a DDJ1000 (Rekordbox version) and a DDJ1000SRT. The Rekordbox version seems more responsive (jog wheels) for some odd reason and the graphics on the jog dial are color. They took shortcuts on the Serato version for some reason. I’m not sure what’s going on with Pioneer but they’ve seemed to have had a great relationship with Serato and I’m sure their rationale is profits. Diehard Serato users will never switch to Rekordbox, at least the majority won’t. I used to have the first SX and moved to the DDJ-SZ which is a lot better all around but I wanted something more compact for weddings and small events. Try using SRT more and it will grow on you. As Funkyfresh said, you’ll never look back.
DJ Unique 2:07 AM - 8 May, 2020
Quote:

-Beat looping (other than 4 beats) is awkward, you always need 2 hands to chose other than 4 beats... I find the beat looping on the SX3 better than the 1000 since you can pre-determine and select easely in advance the lengh needed (8-16-32) for your upcoming mix without having to press Hold and other buttons (hence 2 hands) and it snap to the beat grid. Big Big negative for me as i use 8 and 16 beats looping quite a bit.

Quote:
Just remap the looping controls to the same as the sx3 - it’s fairly easy to do.

This works well.
I've mapped on both my Macs and all is well.

Here is the video explaining how to do this.
Watchwww.youtube.com

By the way, I love my 1000SRT
Gjem1 2:13 AM - 8 May, 2020
But you guy's, don't you feel the fader not tight at all? they are wigeling all over the place.

Quote:

Do you have a reference to show me how to do that?

thanks
Gjem1 2:38 AM - 8 May, 2020
DJ Unique ! Thank you for the youtube post !!!!
I will do this right now.
That just made my day .
DJ Unique 2:48 AM - 8 May, 2020
Quote:
DJ Unique ! Thank you for the youtube post !!!!
I will do this right now.
That just made my day .

Cool...
Gjem1 11:37 AM - 8 May, 2020
I did the remapping of the beat loops and all is much better !
While at it, I even remap the Censor button to other effects as well. ;-)

I stored the SX3 in the other room... lolll
vboyd666 5:36 PM - 8 May, 2020
Let us know how you get along over then next dozen gigs or so with the DDJ-1000SRT to see if you've revised your assessment.

I am in the same boat as you. I have an SX3 and love it but love the form factor of the 1000 even more. My complaints are very similar to your observaions.

Now however I am thinking of moving away from the 1000SRT and to the XDJ-XZ. I have all but made up my mind on that and am looking at picking up a XDJ-XZ probably next year once I've recovered from the loss of income over this Pandemic.

The main reason (and I don't believe that the software/hardware is quite there yet) is I'd love to dump the laptop and be able to just play off the equipment again with a USB key.
Chino 6:01 PM - 8 May, 2020
Quote:
-All the faders are on the flimzy side compare to the SX3. (loose knobs, up/down and sideways.)

I agree.

Quote:

Re-Mapping the loop controls makes a BIG difference!
Chino 6:13 PM - 8 May, 2020
@Gjem1- I've found that the p-lock fader caps Pioneer uses seem (IMO) to make the faders more wobbly from side to side. I replaced them with a set of Coolor Caps and its a noticeable improvement.
Gjem1 6:23 PM - 8 May, 2020
Quote:
Now however I am thinking of moving away from the 1000SRT and to the XDJ-XZ. I have all but made up my mind on that and am looking at picking up a XDJ-XZ probably next year once I've recovered from the loss of income over this Pandemic

Yeah, i was thinking about it too but it is like 2000$ more for this unit and i find the screen a bit on the small side (compare to the Denon Prime 4) to let go of the laptop yet. It will be strong option for me if the screen goes to 10''.
benictrs 7:57 PM - 13 July, 2020
I want to sell my SX3 to buy the DDJ1000SRT .
I have one question for those of you who own both .
Witch one sounds better ? DDJ1000SRT ? DDJ-SX3 ?
I'ts wery important for me . The sound quality.
Thx in advance for your reply
Gjem1 8:42 PM - 13 July, 2020
I have both and i cannot tell the difference. They both sound very good. You would have to look up the full details specs to really "see" if there is a difference.
Most of the time the controller is connected to a PA systems that is noisy to start with...
In fact if it wasn't for the bigger jog wheels and the sound effects directly on the controller, i would have stick with my SX3.
djvtyme85 11:10 PM - 13 July, 2020
Quote:
I want to sell my SX3 to buy the DDJ1000SRT .
I have one question for those of you who own both .
Witch one sounds better ? DDJ1000SRT ? DDJ-SX3 ?
I'ts wery important for me . The sound quality.
Thx in advance for your reply

I have both cant tell a difference. The gain structure is more akin to a DJM 900 mixer on the 1000 but the sound overall is the same as the SX3.