DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SOMEONE PLZ HELP!!!!!

D.J. Hop 3:15 AM - 28 February, 2020
WTF??? I showed up at my gig, set up and then found out there was no internet at this venue which meant when I went to pull up my serato dj pro program none of my crates were there, just some demo free ones...I talked to numerous dj's and they said they dont even need wifi when djing, so why do I? And trust me, I have tried troubleshooting with my home wifi off and still not working....So apparently when I get to a gig that dont have wifi am I just screwed or what the hell am I doing wrong???? I have a ddj sb3 using serato dj pro and my laptop is new running windows 10.....I am at a loss here, I need lots of feedback plz, ty
pdidy 3:58 AM - 28 February, 2020
Sounds like you're using/streaming Spotify or Apple Music In Serato.
D.J. Hop 4:19 AM - 28 February, 2020
yes pididy, but heres the deal when I saved all my tracks, I saved them to playlists and not crates {I have no crates with music, all my songs are in seperate playlists} so, is there anyway to transfer playlists to a new named crate?
D.J. Hop 4:38 AM - 28 February, 2020
Quote:

What other methods are there to get music to Serato without using streaming?
pdidy 4:38 AM - 28 February, 2020
Doesnt matter if its crates or playlists because none of the music files are physically on your laptop. They are ALL streaming from the internet, think of it like Netflix whereas you need an internet connection to view all movies. I'm guessing you assumed that you were really saving music files to your laptop that you could play at any time without wifi? Nope....
pdidy 4:48 AM - 28 February, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

What other methods are there to get music to Serato without using streaming?

Pretty much all professional djs use a music/record pool with downloadable MP3, wave ect.. files. WE NEVER rely solely on streaming.

Streaming is typically used by Wedding djs or djs who take alot of requests. But when songs are mission-critical, standards or must-haves, even wedding djs will always download them and never risk wifi interruptions.
D.J. Hop 5:00 AM - 28 February, 2020
Exactly, but now what can I do? I have 2500 songs that can only be played with wifi on...omg !!!!! Im screwed, I have 2 weddings coming up and they 100% have no internet. How do you or other dj's get music to Serato without using streaming?
pdidy 5:05 AM - 28 February, 2020
Use your phone as a hotspot!!!!!

Is it risky? hell yea but you dont have a choice when its mission-critical.
pdidy 5:15 AM - 28 February, 2020
Most weddings use less than 100 songs the entire event so start by downloading your priority songs first from a record pool.
D.J. Hop 5:18 AM - 28 February, 2020
Pdidy,,,ty so much for all ur help, seriously........It looks like I have to start from scratch grrr.
Culprit 6:09 AM - 28 February, 2020
Hard lesson to learn. Streaming should always just be a last resort situation.

Start with some good record pools

bluebuzzmusic.com

Here is a good reference. Yes you will need a credit card or paypal account. Trust me in the long run its totally worth it my dude.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:58 AM - 28 February, 2020
All I can do is laugh at how dump and unprepared you are for gigging
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:58 AM - 28 February, 2020
Lol meant dumb
metroplex2005 9:54 AM - 28 February, 2020
Quote:
Exactly, but now what can I do? I have 2500 songs that can only be played with wifi on...omg !!!!! Im screwed, I have 2 weddings coming up and they 100% have no internet. How do you or other dj's get music to Serato without using streaming?

Buy music.
Terrence Stokes 1:21 PM - 28 February, 2020
If your all in on streaming only, buy a wireless hotspot from your wireless phone dealer. That way you will always have wifi available. Get the new 5g version and your set.
577er 5:39 PM - 28 February, 2020
This thread is a perfect example for real DJs to show their prospective clients 🤘 thank you DJ Hop for perfectly explains why pros don’t work for peanuts . We owe you.
dj_soo 6:46 PM - 28 February, 2020
saving this as another example on why you should never rely on a streaming service and why the entire industry is implementing it just to attract more n00bs.
Gio Alex 9:10 PM - 28 February, 2020
Could always use your phone as a hotspot for emergency if the signal is solid. Wouldn't really recommend it, but then again, I wouldn't recommended not having any local music on your computer either.
Gio Alex 9:11 PM - 28 February, 2020
Quote:
saving this as another example on why you should never rely on a streaming service and why the entire industry is implementing it just to attract more n00bs.

Yup
Gio Alex 9:11 PM - 28 February, 2020
Quote:

This too.
metroplex2005 9:57 PM - 28 February, 2020
Quote:

+1
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:00 PM - 28 February, 2020
and how did the client react when you said you have no music...

i'm still laughing at the fact you did a gig but do not know how streaming works
pdidy 10:07 PM - 28 February, 2020
Quote:

i'm still laughing at the fact you did a gig but do not know how streaming works

Puts knife in....... then proceeds to twist and turn.
pdidy 10:12 PM - 28 February, 2020
Question, im a hiphop, r&b, reggae dj.......which service is best for me Spotify or Apple Music?
DJ Unique 5:17 AM - 29 February, 2020
WTF?
What a crazy story
LOL
metroplex2005 6:28 AM - 29 February, 2020
Quote:
Question, im a hiphop, r&b, reggae dj.......which service is best for me Spotify or Apple Music?

Both won’t work. Buy music.
D.J. Hop 8:26 PM - 29 February, 2020
Quote:

I had to use hotspot, and yes hard lesson learned but Im new at djing. So keep being ur smartass self and tell me how that works out for ya.
D.J. Hop 8:28 PM - 29 February, 2020
So, ty everyone {except Sparky, assmunch} I am now using BPM Supreme where my music is there always istead of streaming, like I said hard lesson learned.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:40 PM - 29 February, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

I had to use hotspot, and yes hard lesson learned but Im new at djing. So keep being ur smartass self and tell me how that works out for ya.

Working out great for me, when I show up, my shit works and I'm prepared,

when you hire a $50 dj what you get is a chump like you with a SB3 and no clue
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:40 PM - 29 February, 2020
and no music 🤣
DJ JulioYEG 4:08 AM - 2 March, 2020
dj hot spot tell me how much your charge your clients for a event like the one where you had no music?
RonDu 7:09 PM - 2 March, 2020
I've yet yo use a streaming service. If it's not on the list and I don't have the song then I just don't have it. The party is not gonna stop because of a few songs.
DJ Unique 7:35 PM - 2 March, 2020
Quote:
I've yet yo use a streaming service. If it's not on the list and I don't have the song then I just don't have it. The party is not gonna stop because of a few songs.

Exactly... or log onto iTunes / Amazon or whatever and purchase one song only if absolutely necessary
D.J. Hop 8:27 PM - 2 March, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Working out great for me, when I show up, my shit works and I'm prepared,

when you hire a $50 dj what you get is a chump like you with a SB3 and no clue

Quit acting 12 and grow up, I made a mistake geez, Im new to this, no reason to bash me over my simple question.
DJ JulioYEG 11:36 PM - 2 March, 2020
its not just a mistake. That's your brand thats your image and your dj services you are charging for because of your lack of knowledge. I hate to be that guy but you are not at all ready yet to charge people for your services or be responsible to play music for people's events. What if it was a wedding and you had no music. bride and groom and walk down the aisle. no ones dancing etc that would be brutal. Do better. figure out how to dj first. grow your library. dj small parties for your friends. put the work in. and change ur dj name lol your brands already tarnished restart after you are ready. just my 2 cents .
popnwave 11:44 PM - 2 March, 2020
This is the future of DJing.... *cries*
DJ JulioYEG 11:51 PM - 2 March, 2020
Quote:
This is the future of DJing.... *cries*

we are not going anywhere lol.. maybe my hearing will gocause it hasn't come back in my left ear since Sat night but at least ill be able to type on the forums lol
Laz219 12:38 AM - 6 March, 2020
Honestly stuck between laughing at this and shaking my head,

You'll find the reason everyone is questioning you is because...if you're so new you don't even know how the music library works- why are you booking multiple gigs, especially weddings?
BrentMeder 11:48 AM - 20 March, 2020
Quote:

The same here and have never had any issues.
Physik 4:26 PM - 21 March, 2020
I don't use streaming at all. Never. Ever. Not once. Don't have an Apple account, no Spotify, nothing. I can't imagine my set being dependent on a client's wifi, sound's like a recipe for disaster. Now, instead of berating people who do, i will tell you what i do.

I have all my music as mp3 files on my laptop and/or an external hard drive that i USB to my laptop. Here is how to get your mp3's into Serato.
1) Open Serato and minimize the window (exit full screen) so you can access other programs on your laptop
2) Open File Explorer or (whatever the Apple equivalent is) and navigate to the folder/directory with the desired song(s)/album(s),
3) In Serato click "Make New Crate" (the brown box with the + sign). Name the Crate then select the crate by clicking it once (your "Crate Track List" panel in Serato will be empty because you haven't imported songs into it yet)
4) Drag and Drop songs from File Explorer into the "Crate Track List" panel. You'll then see the song tile, artist, etc.. appear.
5) Repeat for every track you want in that crate.

Now you can use Serato without an internet connection. Just remember that if all your music is stored on an external hard drive you'll need to bring that drive with you to the gig or Serato will go looking for the song and not find it. But once you plug the hard drive into your laptop Serato will automatically recognize it and fill up the crate with the songs you imported previously.

Where you get your MP3s is up to you. I am a member of both Franchise (now known as frp.live) and BPM Supreme (each is only $20/mo for unlimited downloads, if i'm not mistaken). I supplement those with various other sources of music like bandcamp.com.

Hope that helps.