DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Proof DJing has Gone to Shit

eder 1:52 AM - 3 August, 2009
losangeles.craigslist.org

This fool is so lazy he can't even dig through blogs for his music. What a fuck fuck.
BTW I didn't know a country singer had a DJ opening act.
kue 2:01 AM - 3 August, 2009
Haha, do this but choose nothing but horrible songs for his crate
DJMuErTe 3:12 AM - 3 August, 2009
lmao you know i thought about having someone to help me organize more than twice but at the same time i didnt want anyone to know what i have.

This is funny
Rebelguy 3:26 AM - 3 August, 2009
This is really nothing new. I have read quite a few stories about big name electronic DJs having assistants to help with music organization, editing, etc. I really don't see anything wrong with it. He isn't asking the guy to pick the music. He is just asking for an assistant to download it. He will probably review it later.

I think he is smart for delegating authority and his time management.
vega 3:51 AM - 3 August, 2009
sound smart.. time is money
DVDjHardy 5:24 AM - 3 August, 2009
I agree with eder.

DJing is one of the few jobs where you get to do what you absolutely love. I love digging for all kinds of music, in any way possible. I don't see how a DJ even considers having someone else do the leg-work for him/her in this business...

If "time is money" applies to everything, I'd love to help out a few busy celebrities by "taking care of" their wives, LOL. They won't even have to pay me $8/hr...
SuckaDJ 5:33 AM - 3 August, 2009
Quote:
I agree with eder.

DJing is one of the few jobs where you get to do what you absolutely love. I love digging for all kinds of music, in any way possible. I don't see how a DJ even considers having someone else do the leg-work for him/her in this business...

If "time is money" applies to everything, I'd love to help out a few busy celebrities by "taking care of" their wives, LOL. They won't even have to pay me $8/hr...

lol

hey as long as he gots gigs, seems like a busy mofo
vega 5:37 AM - 3 August, 2009
ummmm... taking care of their wives?? you sound like you're 14

people join record pools for the same reason. Not only to save money, but to save time from having to find new shit and organizing all the crap that comes out.
frost-9 6:33 AM - 3 August, 2009
[quote What a fuck fuck.

lol..
Rebelguy 7:00 AM - 3 August, 2009
Quote:

But how do you even know what the job entails. What if the job is to go to a list of sites and just download everything on there for him to review later.
dj vegas 8:34 AM - 3 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

But how do you even know what the job entails. What if the job is to go to a list of sites and just download everything on there for him to review later.

+1
SuckaDJ 8:49 AM - 3 August, 2009
i bet if he didn't post his myspace, everyone would be hatin?
Caramac 9:06 AM - 3 August, 2009
Must be doing alright for himself to shell out a $100 for 10 hours work.
DVDjHardy 1:17 PM - 3 August, 2009
I guess you guys have your way and I have mine. I'm all for working smarter and after taking a peek at his myspace, it looks like he's doing something right. I just prefer to do my own leg-work when it comes to DJing.

Vega, you sound like you're 70. Get a fucking sense of humor.
djchope 1:42 PM - 3 August, 2009
i don't let anyone touch my music collection :D
its like my baby
DJ Benny B NYC 1:55 PM - 3 August, 2009
Quote:
Must be doing alright for himself to shell out a $80 for 10 hours work.

well if you have the money and you are really busy with gigs why the hell not. it sounds like something an assistant would do anyway
sixxx 7:44 PM - 3 August, 2009
I don't see anything wrong with having an assistant.
SuckaDJ 9:08 PM - 3 August, 2009
yea tour djs can def use the help
DJ McKay 9:35 PM - 3 August, 2009
i dont see anything wrong with having an assistant but i am the type that does all i can do then when i start getting tooooo busy then i have my assistant jump in. for example when i show up at a gig 9 times out of ten i have my assistant rig up the lighting, then if he or she is done i have them make sure the wires are as clean and tight as they can be, as for me i do all the audio and that kind of thing myself.
DjWoody 9:44 PM - 3 August, 2009
I didn't read the post cuz it's flagged down, but from what I'm reading here, I gotta say this...

There's been TONS of times when I thought about paying someone to organize my music, label it all correctly, and make it all Serato ready. I don't want the person to download it, I just want them to organize what I already have.

But dayum, organizing is a pain in the ass. That shit is time consuming and it never ends. But, finding someone with a good ear for different genres is gonna be hard. lol
O.B.1 9:50 PM - 3 August, 2009
i saw a craigslist ad for 100 gb of serato ready playlists (id3, bpm tagged, genre, etc.)
-but i would never go "that" route... my ASSistant would be out of a job,

fun & joke aside, i just got done archiving ALL my vinyl (what a chore!)
sixxx 9:59 PM - 3 August, 2009
Quote:
I didn't read the post cuz it's flagged down, but from what I'm reading here, I gotta say this...

There's been TONS of times when I thought about paying someone to organize my music, label it all correctly, and make it all Serato ready. I don't want the person to download it, I just want them to organize what I already have.

But dayum, organizing is a pain in the ass. That shit is time consuming and it never ends. But, finding someone with a good ear for different genres is gonna be hard. lol

I agree. I don't think anyone but yourself knows how to organize stuff. Sure, you can teach someone how to do it, but in the end, it's never going to be to your liking. I rather just have someone get everything for me and I can see what I like and don't like and categorize it, etc.
SUBSTANCE 10:12 PM - 3 August, 2009
who cares if some big name DJ does it? it's lazy in the extreme.
DJs with day jobs have more reason to use an assistant than a full time DJ.
I'm gonna go make a beat now... when my assistant finishes choosing & editing all the samples for me. (/sarcasm)
Organizing your own library helps you to move around it faster = DJ staring into laptop less.
vega 10:23 PM - 3 August, 2009
i bet one of the haters on this thread flagged it. LOL.. bunch of lames on here yo, always worrying about the next man
dj vegas 10:48 PM - 3 August, 2009
Quote:
i don't let anyone touch my music collection :D
its like my baby

yes i under stand that for shure! But downloading for me if i have no time for new blogs im cool with that who knows it might just be for the easy ones like 8th wounder dj city with only top 40 ish? but i could not have any one touch my hard drive! More info is needed befor i through him under the bus though!
djchase 3:50 AM - 4 August, 2009
Quote:

sounds like something i can do....im facing the same problem but now i kinda ran out of stuff to organize wouldnt mind getting paid to do what i do everyday
SK1 5:06 AM - 4 August, 2009
I read the post and replied to it.. never heard back. I figured it was perfect for me.
-The guy lives in the same area as me... most likely within a couple of miles.
-I work at my university computer lab.
-While at work, I'm always searching for new music.

I figured, why not get paid for it...twice.
DJ Benny B NYC 1:25 PM - 4 August, 2009
dudes - i HOPE i get to the point where i am djing 5 nights a week and making so much money i can hang out at the beach or whatever all day and have some guy sit in my apartment and tag/cue/organize my stuff for $8 an hour. he also better be good at laundry, dishes and dusting...
O.B.1 5:31 PM - 4 August, 2009
how about: SHE also better be good at laundry, dishes and dusting...
(among other things)
R-Tistic 11:12 PM - 4 August, 2009
Not really horrible to me...I know older DJ's who had their apprentices who they would actually send out to go to different clubs to scope out new music for them, and they might even say "here's $100....go the the record store, and bring me back a mixture of new shit to break and classics that I don't have." They'd warm up for them til 12 and all else...so in concept, it's nothing all that new.