DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Hey Pdidy....so what CONTROLLER has the best sound card?

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:53 PM - 22 December, 2019
Yeah, I know...smh....
dj_soo 7:16 PM - 22 December, 2019
Roland 808 hands down
Thundercat 1:59 AM - 23 December, 2019
Oh boy here we go...LOL. So I'm going to be the last one dragging techs out?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:10 PM - 23 December, 2019
Quote:
Oh boy here we go...LOL. So I'm going to be the last one dragging techs out?

Man no....

I just want to be PREPARED, and KNOWLEDGEABLE, just IN CASE I need to go the controller route...

There is NOTHING to justify me purchasing it yet, but a lot of people use them on my system, and I'm having difficulty adjusting the sound to what I'm used to, or is it the fact that they just don't put out a signal equal to a Mixer and SL3...
Thundercat 10:09 PM - 23 December, 2019
Definitely a different "flavored" sound than your mixer+sl3. I can hear the difference between you vs Oakie/Steve/Truth/etc. As for knowledgable, I feel you. You saw it took me half the evening to get right my 1st time on that thing when E fell ill. Back on topic, everything I read seems to concur with soo on the Roland, but the Pioneer seems more user friendly for what it is.
lvmez 12:18 AM - 24 December, 2019
No controller will ever compare to a good mixer the it comes to sound. With that being said, I see lots of pioneer controllers being used on big stages. Depending on your budget, I like the new Pioneer SRT-1000.

The best choice if you decided not to use a controller would be one Rane Twelve with a Rane 72. That is what I use.

photos.app.goo.gl
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:27 AM - 27 December, 2019
Quote:
Roland 808 hands down

Speaking as a proud owner I concur.
dj_soo 7:17 AM - 27 December, 2019
If you want to call the Rane 72 + Twelves setup a controller (which it technically is), then I'd say it has the edge over the Roland, but it's pretty damn close imo.

After Roland, I'd say Denon controllers sound great.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Mixars Primo as well but I have no idea where i ranks.

Johnny, chances are most of the controllers you run on your system are Pioneer controllers which imo ranks near the bottom in sound quality for controllers. You generally have to "EQ the pioneer out of them" imo and even then, they don't sound good.
HighTopFade 9:40 PM - 27 December, 2019
Using a pair of Yamaha DBR12s, the Roland 505 sounds better than the Pioneer DDJSX and DDJSR2. I don't notice any difference with the Roland 505 and Rane 62. Sure, my ears don't work as good as the used to but, that's my observation. The 808 must sound amazing with its better sound card over the 505.
Res-Q 11:06 PM - 27 December, 2019
Can't talk about Roland, but Mixars audio quality is far superior compared to Pioneer controllers worth 2X more. Phono pre-amps as well, and Mic Pre-amps too.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:03 PM - 28 December, 2019
Quote:
Johnny, chances are most of the controllers you run on your system are Pioneer controllers which imo ranks near the bottom in sound quality for controllers. You generally have to "EQ the pioneer out of them" imo and even then, they don't sound good.

Bro, I thought it was just me being "Biased" over controllers...

And yes, the majority of controllers that come thru my system are made by Pioneer.

So I'm guessing even that Pioneer DDJ1000SRT's output is trash compared to an SL3.

And an SL3 is OLD....by technical standards...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:05 PM - 28 December, 2019
Quote:
Definitely a different "flavored" sound than your mixer+sl3. I can hear the difference between you vs Oakie/Steve/Truth/etc. As for knowledgeable, I feel you. You saw it took me half the evening to get right my 1st time on that thing when E fell ill. Back on topic, everything I read seems to concur with soo on the Roland, but the Pioneer seems more user friendly for what it is.

Yeah man, it's crazy...And of course we can use them because we had it in us to figure stuff out, but to play like we play on turntables is another story...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:06 PM - 28 December, 2019
Quote:
If you want to call the Rane 72 + Twelves setup a controller (which it technically is), then I'd say it has the edge over the Roland, but it's pretty damn close imo.

Yeah, but that's the equivalent of me bringing 12's and a mixer as far as portability is concerned...
SG SOUNDS 4:56 AM - 30 December, 2019
Quote:
No controller will ever compare to a good mixer the it comes to sound. With that being said, I see lots of pioneer controllers being used on big stages. Depending on your budget, I like the new Pioneer SRT-1000.

The best choice if you decided not to use a controller would be one Rane Twelve with a Rane 72. That is what I use.

photos.app.goo.gl

You are wrong, the Roland Dj808 sounds just as good or dare I say better than my Rane 72, I have both and A/B them numerous times and I find that my Roland Dj808 has a even more fuller sound than my Rane 72..I would have never believed it until I A/B them myself

When you really look under the hood, the Roland dj808 is 32 bit soundcard that has 411khz, 48khz, and 96khz settings compared to the 72 24bit 48khz settings
SG SOUNDS 5:00 AM - 30 December, 2019
Quote:
Roland 808 hands down

Totally agree, I just bought the srt1000 ( because customers prefer pioneer controllers) although it sounds much better than the sx3 if falls short on sound quality to the Roland dj808..
dj_soo 10:34 AM - 30 December, 2019
The 72 is 24 bit A/D and 32 bit D/A just like the Roland but the Rane is Floating Point - not sure about the 808. Roland has the higher sample rate, but it's honestly moot at that point.

I've A/B'd the 505 and 707M with my 72 and I still prefer the Rane, but damn do Roland controllers sound fucking amazing. Better than the DJM 900 NXS2 imo.
SG SOUNDS 3:00 PM - 30 December, 2019
Quote:
The 72 is 24 bit A/D and 32 bit D/A just like the Roland but the Rane is Floating Point - not sure about the 808. Roland has the higher sample rate, but it's honestly moot at that point.

I've A/B'd the 505 and 707M with my 72 and I still prefer the Rane, but damn do Roland controllers sound fucking amazing. Better than the DJM 900 NXS2 imo.

Yes you are right, I checked the specs this morning

The Rane 72 without a doubt is a amazing sounding mixer, but when I A/B together with the 808, I shockingly had to give the 808 a slight edge, (note I said slight edge) others who was there with me also agreed, maybe it's the higher sample rate like you mentioned, who knows, I'm just happy to know I own both the 72 and the 808, best of both worlds

By the way the comparison was done on my JTR set up.
SG SOUNDS 3:10 PM - 30 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

The Rane 72 without a doubt is a amazing sounding mixer, but when I A/B together with the 808, I shockingly had to give the 808 a slight edge, (note I said slight edge) others who was there with me also agreed, maybe it's the higher sample rate like you mentioned, who knows, I'm just happy to know I own both the 72 and the 808, best of both worlds

Recently bought the srt1000, sound quality has improved but no where near the dj808
dj_soo 7:42 PM - 30 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I think when you get to that level, it's just personal preference.
djcrap 9:01 PM - 30 December, 2019
Just out of curiosity! How does the Ns7iii sound compared to pioneer controllers
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:47 AM - 31 December, 2019
Be sure to tune into next weeks episode where DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 upgrades his analog watch to a digital one
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:48 AM - 8 January, 2020
Quote:
Be sure to tune into next weeks episode where DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 upgrades his analog watch to a digital one

NEVA!
djcrap 7:07 PM - 9 January, 2020
I would think the best fit controller for djjohnnynm would be an Ns7iii since he is a hardcore vinyl or direct drive platters kind of individual. But then again I thought about it and I could foresee him complaining about weight of the Ns7iii
djcrap 7:09 PM - 9 January, 2020
Ns7iii weight is about 29 pounds
But then again with a flight case your looking at doubling that weight
dj_soo 7:32 PM - 9 January, 2020
Quote:
Just out of curiosity! How does the Ns7iii sound compared to pioneer controllers

I've never done an A/B, but a lot of the owners of the NS7s say they sound pretty damn good.
pdidy 1:24 AM - 15 January, 2020
Sorry I missed your post, I don't read the threads as often anymore. But honestly, I would be the worst person to ask at this point because I am a soundman, sound provider for rentals and I regularly DJ with multiple DJ's. Therefore my priority is NOT what controller has the best sound quality..........My priority is what controller is in highest DEMAND or The controller DJ's standard that every DJ Is willing to play on.

That said I'm well aware of the talk on the streets regarding the Roland808 and Denon options but they are totally irrelevant to me until they become the Controller Standard.

So for that reason I've added the Pioneer DDJ1000SRT to my inventory as it fills ALL of my controller demands from my paying rental clients, DJs I DJ with and I personally love its performance.

Now if this Is only for your personal use, disregard everything I said and take their advice. But the last I checked our DJ biz is a lot alike and YOU are not the soul DJ at most of your events........The Roland808 quite possibly has better sound quality but If no dj wants to play on it or gives you the "screwface".......now you have a problem and wasted money.

BTW I've been introducing my DJ clientele to the Rane 12/72 and they are loving it. The 1200's are staying at home more often.

photos.app.goo.gl
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:18 AM - 15 January, 2020
Yeah, I check this spot erry now and again...and NOPE I've never seen a Roland out near me, but they are fiendin' over that 1000SRT...sigh...
pdidy 7:57 AM - 15 January, 2020
Quote:
they are fiendin' over that 1000SRT

This is true, Ive offered clients higher quality CDJ and 1210's and they be like "Naaa, im good with that new Pioneer controller you got" lol....
dj_soo 8:01 AM - 15 January, 2020
yea, if you're renting your controller out to people, then go with what's popular.

But you were asking about the best sounding controller and Pioneer ain't it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:21 AM - 18 January, 2020
Quote:
and Pioneer ain't it.

You got that right....

But I wanted to make sure I wasn't hearing things or doing something wrong.

It's crazy because it's popularity makes you THINK "Oh, this MUST be good, everybody got or wants one...smh.
dj_soo 7:55 AM - 18 January, 2020
Nah, it’s just a disappointing confirmation that most djs and people really don’t give a shit about sound quality.