Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Music files on external hard drive

DJ KooBreeZ 5:27 PM - 21 November, 2019
I recently fell in love with SDJ, I began deejaying with Virtual DJ (don't boo).

Long story short, I have an external hard drive with all of my music.
I have tried several times to analyze files and each time I complete analyzing all files, when I disconnect the external hard drive and then reconnect the hard drive to play again,
all of the files need to be analyzed again. no BPM or hot cues are saved. nothing is saved. like connecting for the first time every time.

I have the "backup files upon exit" box check before I completely exit the program but my files still need to be reanalyzed each time I disconnect and reconnect.

Please help.

the external hard was initially formatted to PC but I now use MAC. would that matter?
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:45 AM - 23 November, 2019
Quote:
the external hard was initially formatted to PC but I now use MAC. would that matter?

Yes it matters

You need to format the thing to ExFat (if you still plan to use it interchangeably with Windows and Mac)
Ian Williams 8:53 PM - 23 November, 2019
If it's formatted NTFS (& i'm guessing it is), it's effectively a "read only" drive on your mac.

As DJ Marv says, "ExFat" if you intend using it on both platforms, or "MacOS Extended (HFS+)" if just using it on your mac.
DJ BernieB (Toronto) 2:35 AM - 27 November, 2019
I’ve used a windows formatted NTFS external drive for years on Serato running off a Mac and it runs better than MacOSExtended HFS, Mac APS or Exfat and I DJ video. The trick is you need to install a third party software on your Mac in order to support writing to NTFS drives as Macs by default read NTFS only and that’s why your analyzed files never save permanently.

I use Paragon NTFS for over 10 years now. I think they changed the software name on new Mac OS’s now. Google Paragon and you’ll see their website with offered products. It works great even with my 8tb external drive formatted NTFS.

Cheers!!
DJ Unique 2:39 AM - 27 November, 2019
Quote:
I’ve used a windows formatted NTFS external drive for years on Serato running off a Mac and it runs better than MacOSExtended HFS, Mac APS or Exfat and I DJ video. The trick is you need to install a third party software on your Mac in order to support writing to NTFS drives as Macs by default read NTFS only and that’s why your analyzed files never save permanently.

I use Paragon NTFS for over 10 years now. I think they changed the software name on new Mac OS’s now. Google Paragon and you’ll see their website with offered products. It works great even with my 8tb external drive formatted NTFS.

Cheers!!

Yes
Dj Stylz-1 3:18 PM - 29 November, 2019
Hey guys,

Looking for a good recommendation on an external SSD.

Thanks
Ian Williams 3:34 PM - 29 November, 2019
Samsung T5
Dj Stylz-1 3:38 PM - 29 November, 2019
Quote:
Samsung T5

Any issues ? I've used a LaCie for years, and based on price and reviews this one is a front runner.
Ian Williams 3:48 PM - 29 November, 2019
I've had zero issues with mine, & been using it for over a year. .....nothing more to add really. :)
Dj Stylz-1 8:31 PM - 29 November, 2019
Quote:
I've had zero issues with mine, & been using it for over a year. .....nothing more to add really. :)

Perfect thanks
DJ BernieB (Toronto) 12:23 AM - 30 November, 2019
Samsung T5 2TB USB External Solid State Drive. You can get it on sale for a great price. I paid like $369 ($275 US) Canadian on sale.
Dj Stylz-1 5:22 PM - 2 December, 2019
Does anyone use it via thunderbolt by chance?
Dj Youkai 6:50 AM - 3 December, 2019
Quote:
Does anyone use it via thunderbolt by chance?

I use to.. But now I Find USB 3.0 Port Works Great.. And I'm Using Seagate 4TB & 5TB 2.5 externals.. Never Failed Me Yet *Knocks On Woood.
DJ KooBreeZ 2:50 PM - 4 December, 2019
Quote:
If it's formatted NTFS (& i'm guessing it is), it's effectively a "read only" drive on your mac.

As DJ Marv says, "ExFat" if you intend using it on both platforms, or "MacOS Extended (HFS+)" if just using it on your mac.

Thank you. That worked perfectly! Appreciate the help fellas!
DJ KooBreeZ 2:52 PM - 4 December, 2019
Thank you everyone! Way to be a team. I am new to Serato. so you will be seeing post often about things I'm stuck at. My next post will be about videos. I just can't get right. Stay tuned.

thank again!
Ian Williams 2:56 PM - 4 December, 2019
👍