Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Can disco lights cause USB dropouts?

Iffy Ranx 1:52 PM - 11 November, 2019
I was djing last week at a party and I ran into some problems. I was using my Numark NS6 controller, my ASUS i7 laptop (Windows 7) and Serato 2.3.0.
I placed my laptop in the booth and noticed there was a PAR 64 led disco light sat in very close proximity to my laptop but it didn’t cause me any concern. After about 10 minutes or so the sound started crackling and then the controller lost its connection and Serato went into offline mode. I restarted the laptop and the same thing happened.
I have played in this venue with the same equipment before and I never had these issues so I deduced it must be down to the PAR led light so I turned it off. This rectified the problem and I played all night with no more issues.
My question is this. Was the fault due to the PAR being on the same mains circuit and it was affecting the laptop power supply, or was the PAR somehow affecting the USB port/cable as it was positioned immediately Next to my laptop?
metroplex2005 7:41 PM - 11 November, 2019
Quote:
My question is this. Was the fault due to the PAR being on the same mains circuit and it was affecting the laptop power supply

Quite possible.

Quote:
or was the PAR somehow affecting the USB port/cable as it was positioned immediately Next to my laptop?

I don't think so.