DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

In late 2019.... is there anything like the DDJ-SZ? (For Both Serato AND RB)

Savadelic.com 7:41 AM - 9 November, 2019
I've been trying out Rekordbox at my local guitar center, I really like the effects and the bar/phrase counting (I know Serato counts bars but it's a bit harder to follow while it's scrolling and I just prefer the RB counting), but I've been on Serato for 10+ years on a VCI-380, and really like the Prepare option and the better file analysis... So I'm tryin to find a way to use both softwares whenever I feel like using either/or, ideally on one controller...

I'm not tryin to break the bank, but understand might have to spend over $1,000.... I can NOT afford to buy 2 separate controllers that are over $1,000. I saw on some videos that the original DDJ-SZ worked with BOTH Serato and Rekordbox, and I was ready to buy one, but just found out that they moved onto the SZ2 to lock out Rekordbox Users. Now the only DDJ-SZ's I can find are used on Ebay.

So my questions are...
1. Is there any option for a controller now that works with both SDJ and RB? Is the SZ the only option?
2. And to follow up on that, does anyone who owns a DDJ-SZ use it on both Serato DJ Pro and Rekordbox? Does it still work well for both? The videos I saw were from a few years ago, but it definitely seemed to work well in Rekordbox although it was marketed as a Serato Controller...

If I have to get another used controller (DDJ-SZ) in order to use both softwares, I guess I'm willing to, but don't want to waste my time/money if it doesn't work with current versions of both... Thanks in Advance for any help/input.
Savadelic.com 7:54 AM - 9 November, 2019
I just found the SX2 also apparantly works with both as well.... as soon as I posted the above...
but yeah, anyone have any input on the SX2 as well?
Thanks again.
RR437T 8:22 AM - 13 November, 2019
Quote:
I just found the SX2 also apparantly works with both as well.... as soon as I posted the above...
but yeah, anyone have any input on the SX2 as well?
Thanks again.

I have an SX2. It will definitely work with both. Also, if you end up getting one, start the 30 day trial for performance mode in RB. If you keep setting the date on your computer back before the 30 days are up, the trial never runs out.
Savadelic.com 8:57 PM - 13 November, 2019
Quote:

I have an SX2. It will definitely work with both. Also, if you end up getting one, start the 30 day trial for performance mode in RB. If you keep setting the date on your computer back before the 30 days are up, the trial never runs out.

How do you like the sx2?

Does the sound quality sound good to you?

They still sell new sx2s at guitar center (albeit only in red but still), but the dj rep at my local GC says he doesn’t like the small jogs, sound quality and non-magvel faders. I think he was just trying to push me towards a ddj-1000...
RR437T 3:20 AM - 15 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

How do you like the sx2?

Does the sound quality sound good to you?

They still sell new sx2s at guitar center (albeit only in red but still), but the dj rep at my local GC says he doesn’t like the small jogs, sound quality and non-magvel faders. I think he was just trying to push me towards a ddj-1000...

I like the SX2 better, especially if you are using Serato. If you need the controller to emulate a club setup for practice, the 1000 may be the better choice. If not, the layout of the SX2 makes more sense. The build quality on the SX2 seems to be a little better. Its has a more substantial feel to it, where the 1000 feels hollow. That's just my own assessment. Both units function OK for me. As for the cross fader, I don't use it. I really don't know what makes one better than the other. I would say the SX2 has an advantage because you can easily replace it without opening the unit up. The pitch sliders on the SX2 are definitely better. The ones on the 1000 have a cheap, plastic on plastic feel to them. As for the jog wheels, I don't know what everyone sees in them. To be clear, I don't scratch, but even if I did, I don't see why someone would like the 1000's better. Even with the lowest tension setting on the 1000's wheels, they still feel heaver and are not as easy to move back and forth as the ones on the SX2. They also feel like big pieces of plastic. Again, I don't scratch, so I could be missing something important that would make the 1000 better.

For sound quality, this is interesting. I don't notice any real difference between the 2. And, to be honest, there shouldn't be. I work in audio and do sound quality for a living. My work has nothing to do with DJing, but the same fundamental factors for sound quality apply to all types of audio equipment. I'm convinced the people who don't get good sound are not setting their gear up properly, and not using quality source material. This is a pretty big topic, but one of the drawbacks of playing music, and adjusting volume/gain in the digital domain, is a problem you run into called bit stripping. Essentially, in order for you to get full resolution, your volume/gain setting(s) have to be set to maximum. For example, if you play a 320k mp-3 file, its only 320k if your digital volume controls are set to maximum. As you lower the volume, you lose resolution. So what you think is 320, is really something less, and if you start with a mid to low quality file (128-192), you're pretty much screwed. If you DJ with software and a controller, bit stripping is something you can't avoid because there's no way you can keep all your volume controls at their max setting. In order to deal with it, you need to keep all your digital volume controls as high as possible. For example, if you are plugging your controller into a separate mixer, you can lower the volume on the mixer so you can keep the volumes on your controller higher. Using the best quality files also makes a very big difference. For mp-e's 320kbps is really a must, but for best results, go lossless if at all possible.
Savadelic.com 8:37 AM - 15 November, 2019
Quote:
For sound quality, this is interesting. I don't notice any real difference between the 2. And, to be honest, there shouldn't be. I work in audio and do sound quality for a living. My work has nothing to do with DJing, but the same fundamental factors for sound quality apply to all types of audio equipment. I'm convinced the people who don't get good sound are not setting their gear up properly, and not using quality source material. This is a pretty big topic, but one of the drawbacks of playing music, and adjusting volume/gain in the digital domain, is a problem you run into called bit stripping. Essentially, in order for you to get full resolution, your volume/gain setting(s) have to be set to maximum. For example, if you play a 320k mp-3 file, its only 320k if your digital volume controls are set to maximum. As you lower the volume, you lose resolution. So what you think is 320, is really something less, and if you start with a mid to low quality file (128-192), you're pretty much screwed. If you DJ with software and a controller, bit stripping is something you can't avoid because there's no way you can keep all your volume controls at their max setting. In order to deal with it, you need to keep all your digital volume controls as high as possible. For example, if you are plugging your controller into a separate mixer, you can lower the volume on the mixer so you can keep the volumes on your controller higher. Using the best quality files also makes a very big difference. For mp-e's 320kbps is really a must, but for best results, go lossless if at all possible.

As far as this, how high do you recommend setting your internal volume with Serato? I'm talking about the little white knob in the upper white corner of the screen.
Then after that, how high do you set your master volume on your controller's output?
Once those are their highest optimal setting, I'm assuming I should adjust the master out only using the physical knob on the controller rather than the internal setting to avoid bit stripping?
RR437T 1:03 AM - 17 November, 2019
Bit stripping is going to happen no matter what if you are using software. All you can do is take steps to mitigate the damages. I find with lossless files, I can do pretty much what ever I want, and don't hear any loss in SQ. The average kbps for a CD quality lossless file is 1000. You would almost have to try to get your bit rate down to the highest quality MP-3 of 320.

Most DJ's use MP-3's, so the most important step to take is to use 320 files. As for your equipment setup, don't obsess over it because it can never be perfect. As long as you are aware of the issue, and take reasonable setup precautions, you should be fine. Keep in mind that the people who typically have bit stripping issues, don't even know what it is, and have no idea that its a cause of poor SQ.

The master/global gain setting on your controller is analog, and is set by going into the utilities mode. All other volume/gain settings that you use when DJing are digital. Your strategy would be to set the analog global gain as low as possible, while still retaining what you would consider to be full volume when DJing. As for the different software controls, just make sure to split them up fairly evenly. You don't want one control to be very low, and others to be very high. Again, don't obsess over it. Just the fact that you are taking these steps, pretty much insures you won't have any problems. Reading my earlier posts, I can see how I may have made you a little paranoid. Don't be. Ultimately, all this has to pass just 1 test. Does it sound good? That's the end result you are looking for. If it sounds good, it is good. You won't have the same problem with this as people who just don't know anything about it.
Savadelic.com 7:57 AM - 18 November, 2019
Cool thank you for the clarification