DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New QSC sub - ks118

dj_soo 7:57 PM - 2 October, 2019
Looks like the replacement to the kw181.

www.qsc.com

It seems... the same I guess? Other than the cardiod feature and the “3600” watts, specwise it doesn’t seem like a leap forward to me.
577er 9:12 PM - 2 October, 2019
Except it’s like 20 lbs heavier! But the other specs looks suuuuper close. Weird.
577er 9:20 PM - 2 October, 2019
16 lbs heavier... still 88 lbs was my upper limit.
DJ Unique 1:28 AM - 3 October, 2019
1 decibel louder
5" taller

On website, KW181 is 93.6 lbs so this KS118 is 10-11 lbs heavier.
577er 3:26 AM - 3 October, 2019
I noticed that the QSC website now says that, but look up all other documentation on the 181 and it says 88 lbs.
DJ Unique 6:10 AM - 3 October, 2019
Quote:
I noticed that the QSC website now says that, but look up all other documentation on the 181 and it says 88 lbs.

I wonder if it's 88 lbs without casters and 93.6 with
577er 3:20 PM - 3 October, 2019
Then the question becomes is 104 lbs on the 118 without casters?

Also odd they have side feet but no side pole mount.

There is a plate you can screw to the back that covers the control dial to “lock” the unit for installations and rentals. That’s kinda cool.

Ialways figured their main market was small one man operations that need light weight gear vs the instal market that usually go unpowered.

Anyway it’s a great time to pick up the 181 in clearance sales
dj_soo 5:50 PM - 3 October, 2019
Quote:
There is a plate you can screw to the back that covers the control dial to “lock” the unit for installations and rentals. That’s kinda cool.

especially great if you want to use the cardiod mode and have to turn one sub back facing.
Mr.Dj-Jace 6:22 PM - 3 October, 2019
It's 104 pounds with casters. Without casters might be 102 pounds give or take. Wow, it hurts my back just reading the physical specs. I'll pass on these. I'm sure they will sound pretty good though. I'm enjoying my new RCF system with it's light weight. No way I'll go back to heavy. :-)
Mr.Dj-Jace 7:29 PM - 3 October, 2019
I just saw some youtube videos on these ks118. The comment section, people are saying the ks118 sub will crap all over the original kw181. It will over power the ev etx18sp. People who heard these are talking like this ks118 is on some other high level. I'm going to check them out at Guitar Center this weekend to see if there is one on display. I heard qsc released them today. If there is one, I'll test them out myself and I'll report back. I'll tell you how they are. Just curious to hear them, see what they are like.
SELECT 8:14 PM - 3 October, 2019
Ehh, same frequency response, doesnt go any lower than the old model. 136db is grossly exaggerated, but is one more than 135db KW sub. It should move more air and bump harder than the KW181 just because of size and weight. Nice DSP features as usual. $1500.00.
577er 8:32 PM - 3 October, 2019
Quote:
I just saw some youtube videos on these ks118. The comment section, people are saying the ks118 sub will crap all over the original kw181. It will over power the ev etx18sp. People who heard these are talking like this ks118 is on some other high level. I'm going to check them out at Guitar Center this weekend to see if there is one on display. I heard qsc released them today. If there is one, I'll test them out myself and I'll report back. I'll tell you how they are. Just curious to hear them, see what they are like.

I’ll be very surprised if the 118 is a noticeable upgrade from the 181. A single DB is nearly inpreceptible especially at loud volumes. If this thing an down to 35hz at -+3 dB that would be something but the same frequency response from a heavier box, meh.

The Presonus Air18S sounds much deeper and just as loud to me. And it’s lighter...
Culprit 8:50 PM - 3 October, 2019
the kw181 is officially discontinued

www.qsc.com
Culprit 9:04 PM - 3 October, 2019
dj_soo 10:17 AM - 4 October, 2019
My guess is that it probably throws further and the volume curve runs up a lot faster than the kw181 and likely has a higher continuous spl so it probably feels overall louder despite maxing out at the same spl
Culprit 4:37 PM - 4 October, 2019
How do you guys like the new height?

You think stacking two of these and throwing a kw153 on top would be too high? I like the dual 18" configuration with the kw153 currently which is my main rig, x2.

If they blow out existing stock might just pick up an extra set of 181s and single 153 just to have
Culprit 4:39 PM - 4 October, 2019
I also saw in a picture it can be side stacked to accomplish a similar look and height, I know the majority will probably stick to a single sub and top to save on the budget
Mr.Dj-Jace 10:12 PM - 4 October, 2019
I just left Guitar Center. Unfortunately my store location doesn't have the ks118 yet. Can't test it. On the other hand, the kw181 is on clearance now. $1199 is the price tag new in a box.
DJ Tracktion 4:54 PM - 7 October, 2019
Quote:
I just left Guitar Center. Unfortunately my store location doesn't have the ks118 yet. Can't test it. On the other hand, the kw181 is on clearance now. $1199 is the price tag new in a box.

Wonder how much lower you could get it for if this is now the advertised price.

I know you could get it for this (and even lower) if you know how to get a hook up at retail places when it was $1499 advertised.

I have 2 kw181 and was thinking either get 2 more or switch to the rcf 80004.
Culprit 6:19 PM - 7 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I know you could get it for this (and even lower) if you know how to get a hook up at retail places when it was $1499 advertised.

Good chance these will be blown out during black friday as well. After that these will be hard to find new
577er 6:52 PM - 7 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good chance these will be blown out during black friday as well. After that these will be hard to find new

However parts for the KW181 will be available for a long while as they sold hundreds of thousands of these which makes it an even better investment when on sale.
Culprit 9:46 PM - 7 October, 2019
Quote:
However parts for the KW181 will be available for a long while as they sold hundreds of thousands of these which makes it an even better investment when on sale.

I believe QSC keeps parts for 5 years max
thorissr 3:31 AM - 8 November, 2019
Quote:
My guess is that it probably throws further and the volume curve runs up a lot faster than the kw181 and likely has a higher continuous spl so it probably feels overall louder despite maxing out at the same spl

Spot on Soo!

This is my overall experience after picking one up 3 weeks ago. Having owned SRX/ETX/Yamaha/PRX/KW181 subs I can safely say it's a step up from the previous model (KW181) and on par with the SRX series. It doesn't go as low as the SRX, but man this thing hits hard and is very loud!...I mean you can feel the bass reverberating through your chest from a good distance!

I will be picking up another one once when Black Friday deals start popping up in the price range I'm looking to snag one for.
dj_soo 5:52 AM - 8 November, 2019
The Yorkvile PS subs are the same way. They peak at a relatively standard level, but the average, continuous level seems pretty high comparatively that they push out a lot more sound than the specs indicate.
Culprit 4:52 PM - 8 November, 2019
My only complaint is why Black Friday has to be before NAMM every January 🙁

Do we take advantage of qsc trying to get rid of old kw181 stock or do we try and sell what we have and upgrade
SELECT 8:12 PM - 8 November, 2019
Well its a 104 lb subwoofer. Anything in that weight/size should bump. As far as max SPL aka loudness this is what QSC has to say.

Question-
On the Specification sheet, the Maximum SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of the KS118 appears to be only 1 dB higher than the KW181. Does the KS118 only go 1 dB louder than the KW181?

Answer-
When measuring the maximum SPL of a loudspeaker or subwoofer, the peak level is taken into account, but not the QUALITY of the sound at that volume. While the KW181 does a great job at performing clearly and loudly, in order to achieve maximum SPL it is well into DSP limiting and protection, and may not sound as clear at high volumes as it does at lower volumes. With the larger amplifier and new woofer in the KS118, there is significantly more headroom and dynamic clarity before the onboard limiter and protection circuitry are activated, giving you a clearer, fuller sound at higher SPLs than you could previously achieve with the KW181
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:23 AM - 9 November, 2019
Quote:
My only complaint is why Black Friday has to be before NAMM every January 🙁

Do we take advantage of qsc trying to get rid of old kw181 stock or do we try and sell what we have and upgrade

I'm looking to get the old stock.
dj_soo 3:25 AM - 9 November, 2019
You really think any store is going to put brand new gear on a huge discount if any? More likely they’re going to blowout the old 181s
dj_soo 3:27 AM - 9 November, 2019
Quote:
Well its a 104 lb subwoofer. Anything in that weight/size should bump. As far as max SPL aka loudness this is what QSC has to say.

Question-
On the Specification sheet, the Maximum SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of the KS118 appears to be only 1 dB higher than the KW181. Does the KS118 only go 1 dB louder than the KW181?

Answer-
When measuring the maximum SPL of a loudspeaker or subwoofer, the peak level is taken into account, but not the QUALITY of the sound at that volume. While the KW181 does a great job at performing clearly and loudly, in order to achieve maximum SPL it is well into DSP limiting and protection, and may not sound as clear at high volumes as it does at lower volumes. With the larger amplifier and new woofer in the KS118, there is significantly more headroom and dynamic clarity before the onboard limiter and protection circuitry are activated, giving you a clearer, fuller sound at higher SPLs than you could previously achieve with the KW181

It’s why I wish putting continuous spl rating would be the norm, but companies like the impressive peak numbers and not the more realistic continuous numbers.
djcrap 6:59 PM - 9 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Question-

Answer-

It’s why I wish putting continuous spl rating would be the norm, but companies like the impressive peak numbers and not the more realistic continuous numbers.

Lmao 😂 Bassboss 4 life! Enuf say

I wonder if one bassboss ssp118 subwoofer can give two ks118 a run for there money. Bass wise and sound wise?
577er 2:31 PM - 11 November, 2019
Only problem with Bassboss is weight (and cost). There are lots of amazing heavy subs. Now that QSC is making their 18” sub heavier they are loosing their best advantage over the better subs of the world. The 181 did the job and you could carry it up and down a flight of stairs by yourself. At 120lbs that ain’t going to happen for most one person operations with an ssp118 or even a ks118 at 104lbs. Yes some people move big subs by themselves but most can’t / won’t / don’t
Jon-Paul Evans 4:00 PM - 27 November, 2019
(on paper) I would go with the Yamaha DXS18XLF over the KS118. Same price. Better cover (functional cover). Better specs. Only a few pounds heavier. Better warranty.
schatzi 1:31 AM - 16 December, 2019
i just bought my first real dj setup on craigslist and did a show with it. it was SO AWESOME! People loved it, but I was worried about the sub the entire time. i was pushing it hard and i had to adjust it each song. What 18" do you think I should upgrade to? I got a yamaha DXS15 for a great deal, but it might not be adequate for me. It was really great, but I think I need something that feels the bass more. Maybe that sounds stupid, but I want it to absolutely make you feel like you are being punched in the chest on the floor. I assume two cheaper 18" are better than one really good 18" b/c of the cardiod effect? Seems like the cardiod effect would make it feel so much more intense than just having one really good sub? Was looking at the EKX-18SP, two of them in cardiod mode! They seem light enough and people say they are loud at lower frequencies. My tops are are two DXR12s, which seem quite adequate for very loud levels!
577er 2:48 AM - 16 December, 2019
Cardioid means heart shaped = less bass behind the sub not more in front. Also one good sub is better than two/three/four cheap subs.

What you want are a pair of Yorkville es18p. Or es21p. Then you will feel that stupid fat bass that you want.
dj_soo 7:52 AM - 16 December, 2019
even the ES15Ps are pretty damn good. Louder than the grand majority of midrange 18" subs
schatzi 2:23 PM - 16 December, 2019
sweet. thanks for the recommendations.
Johnnynights 6:29 PM - 16 December, 2019
I got 1 qsc ks118 sub and it's a good sub louder and a bit deeper than the kw181 only con right now I would give it is the casters make noise when is on but can be done with a simple fix or remove them..

The subs the top guys mentioned are also good,since I read you got some dxr12 tops the yamaha dxs18 I believe is called it's a very good sub too.
schatzi 6:44 PM - 16 December, 2019
i was thinking about the dxs18xlf too. not much info. from users online.
Hugabone 8:27 PM - 16 December, 2019
Quote:
I got 1 qsc ks118 sub and it's a good sub louder and a bit deeper than the kw181 only con right now I would give it is the casters make noise when is on but can be done with a simple fix or remove them..

The subs the top guys mentioned are also good,since I read you got some dxr12 tops the yamaha dxs18 I believe is called it's a very good sub too.

How would you compare the KS118 to the Bassboss SSP118? I just bought a KS118 and used it for two gigs this weekend and it sounded pretty good. I don't bring out my VS21's too much but I will do a side by side comparison between the two one day. The KS118 has some punch but I want to see how they compare to my VS21's and SSP118
dj_soo 9:12 PM - 16 December, 2019
I would think the bassboss would just be in a different class - especially for depth
Johnnynights 12:03 AM - 17 December, 2019
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="13">

How would you compare the KS118 to the Bassboss SSP118? I just bought a KS118 and used it for two gigs this weekend and it sounded pretty good. I don't bring out my VS21's too much but I will do a side by side comparison between the two one day. The KS118 has some punch but I want to see how they compare to my VS21's and SSP118
I own 1 ssp218 I know its 2 speakers vs 1 but the ks118 does not come close,I have tried 2 ks118 coupled and the bassboss sound quality and deepness is in another level.

But I got to say that the ks118 is really worth it,i recommend it...same thing with me I been using it more than my bassboss ssp218 due to portability.
Johnnynights 12:05 AM - 17 December, 2019
Quote:
i was thinking about the dxs18xlf too. not much info. from users online.

If you have the yamaha tops I would go for the yamaha sub..
Johnnynights 12:06 AM - 17 December, 2019
@Hugabone how are you liking your vs21s?
Hugabone 9:18 PM - 17 December, 2019
Quote:

I love them, I really haven't had a chance to see what they can do. Though they are heavy, they are actually easy to move around due to their height. My only problem is I lay them flat in my SUV instead of owning a van and just rolling them right in, which is the reason I don't use them much.
Johnnynights 5:26 AM - 18 December, 2019
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="7">

I love them, I really haven't had a chance to see what they can do. Though they are heavy, they are actually easy to move around due to their height. My only problem is I lay them flat in my SUV instead of owning a van and just rolling them right in, which is the reason I don't use them much.
Yeah the bassboss subs are heavy hope I dont end up selling them later cuz of that lol.

I was going to ask you on the qsc ks118 are you using deep mode?

I run mines without deep mode and to me It sounds good that way.
Hugabone 5:49 AM - 18 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah the bassboss subs are heavy hope I dont end up selling them later cuz of that lol.

I haven't had a chance to touch the DSP yet so I don't know what deep mode sounds like. A buddy asked why don't I just get rid of my Bassboss and I said naw, I will be using them more in the future. My next vehicle will be a van and I will have no problem transporting them.
Hect, loading the KS118 into my SUV can be a pain because the wheels don't lock when you roll it in, laying it flat on its feet is a pain too. I still have to lift it in. As mentioned earlier the VS21's are extremely to move, I just need a van.
Johnnynights 6:25 PM - 18 December, 2019
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="20">

<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="9">

I haven't had a chance to touch the DSP yet so I don't know what deep mode sounds like. A buddy asked why don't I just get rid of my Bassboss and I said naw, I will be using them more in the future. My next vehicle will be a van and I will have no problem transporting them.
Hect, loading the KS118 into my SUV can be a pain because the wheels don't lock when you roll it in, laying it flat on its feet is a pain too. I still have to lift it in. As mentioned earlier the VS21's are extremely to move, I just need a van.

To me the ks118 without deep sounds good,yes even though my bassboss ssp218 is heavier I just stand and tilt it inside the truck..I feel you on lifting part..

Do your casters on the ks118 rattle in very loud volumes?
schatzi 12:37 AM - 21 December, 2019
i was thinking about it and maybe it makes sense to just buy an 18" subwoofer that is common in the rental market around my area? Then I can use it for gigs and add one or more rental units of the same make/model as needed for bigger gigs? probably means a KW181 i would guess, or maybe I could go with a KS118 and add either some rental KS118s as they become more common or older rental KW181s to it?
dj_soo 2:31 AM - 21 December, 2019
Quote:
maybe it makes sense to just buy an 18" subwoofer that is common in the rental market around my area?

I always suggest this when choosing subs.