DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My Really Fresh Summer Mix - by djbandoma DL Link inside..

bandoma 7:29 PM - 28 July, 2009
So here’s my new summer mix that I’ve been working on for the past month. Initially, I recorded a live mix that was pretty clean but after a few listens I knew that it could sound better.

I really took my time on this one and I think that it’s my best mix yet. I made a few personal edits and restructured a bunch of house tracks to make them shorter. I also utilized and chopped up a bunch of acap loops to make the house tracks sound more interesting. The mix starts off with an intro, then goes into a few summer classics, some MJ, some mainstream house, some funky house, some techy house, some 90’s house, some electro then finishes off with Duck Sauce and a skratch – outro.

My favorite part of the mix is from tracks 19- 28.

“My Really Fresh Summer” Track List

1) My Really Fresh Summer “Office” Intro
2) Doin Time – Sublime
3) Doin Time Remix – Pharcyde
4) Doin Time Transition - Pharcyde into Dove Shack
5) Summertime in the LBC – Dove Shack
6) Summertime – DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
7) PYT – MJ
8) Working Day N Nite – Morsy
9) Day N Nite Edit – bandoma
10) Day N Nite – Kid Cudi (Agent X Remix)
11) I got a feeling (aka the ed hardy shirt of songs via dj spider) – BEP
12) I got a feeling (David Guetta) Who in the club acap out – bandoma edit
Download edit here - www.mediafire.com
13) Who in the club (Studio Dukes) Sean Kingston ft DMX
14) Fire Burning (Dave Aude Remix) Sean Kingston
15) Patron Tequila (DJ Dan Remix) Paradiso Girls
16) Let the bass kick – Dj Chuckie ft JD
17) Supernova (Calvin Harris Remix) – Mr. Hudson
18) Waking up in Vegas (Calvin Harris Remix) – Katy perry, bandoma edit
19) Why don’t you – Gramophonedzie
20) Northern Hustle – Oliver Lang, Mark Trophy
21) Mucho Mambo (Sway) – Shaft
22) Mucho Mambo / Feel the house edit - bandoma
23) Sweet Child of Mine (2009 Dario Nunez Remix) – Julian the Angel
24) Sweet Child of Mine / We rock the body edit – bandoma
25) Pon di floor (Studio Dukes) – Major Lazer
26) Cross the Dance floor / Shake that bounce edit – bandoma
27) Cross the Dance floor (Laidback Luke) – Treasure Fingers
28) Show me love (Afrojack) – Steve Angello and Laidback Luke
29) Show me love – Robin S
30) I’m gonna get you – Bizarre Inc
31) Push the feeling – Synth Loop
32) Hotel Room (English Break) – Pitbull
33) Check up on it – Chelley
34) Check up on it / take over the dancefloor – bandoma edit
35) Moar Ghosts N Whatever (Deadmau5) – bandoma 32 bar scratch sesh
36) Moar Ghosts N Whatever – Deadmau5
37) 5th Symphony / Rockin / I’ll be Rockin (Wolfgang) – bandoma edit
38) 5th Symphony – Wolgang Gartner
39) Whatcha Doin (Villains Remix) – N.A.S.A. ft MIA
40) Whatcha Doin / Bounce Back / Skratch outro – bandoma
41) Sex on Fire (Richard Sharkey and Peter Sar Remix) Kings of Leon
42) Here we go - Zuper Blahq
43) She don’t know – DJ Nonficition (homie from OC that plays at Focus Tuesdays made this track)
44) aNYway – Duck Sauce
45) Skratch Outro – bandoma

You can download or stream the mix at my new website:

www.djbandoma.net (djbandoma.com will be up in a month – long story)

Big shout out to the homie Ricky J (Si Rocket) for the web design and album artwork. The homie is mad talented and I highly recommend him. A bunch of people here have used him and are happy with his work.

www.96firm.com
DJ Overpour 7:32 PM - 28 July, 2009
downloading now.......looks dope
DJ Overpour 7:32 PM - 28 July, 2009
Nice website man
DVDjHardy 7:39 PM - 28 July, 2009
downloading!
terrible1fi 8:07 PM - 28 July, 2009
downloading man this looks dope
SiRocket 8:19 PM - 28 July, 2009
Bandoma,

Whether or not i was chosen to do the artwork, design and more for the promotion side of this mix.....

I think this mix is one of the hottest mixes put out during 2009, pulling michael tributes, obama fixes, and other current/past events to remember this year, its summer and more to remember. It tells a story, it just isn't one track slammed, faded, or scratched into another, its something that you can play over and over.

Shit, it motivated me last night at midnight to setup my decks in my living room (random i know) and get mixing.... i was up till 4am. LOL!

AWESOME!! don't sleep on this people.
Audio1 8:28 PM - 28 July, 2009
Really dope mix... I got the link early on before it went live. Simply amazing, Well thought out and executed, incredible transitions and segues between genres and themes.
CQ 8:35 PM - 28 July, 2009
Incredible mix, lovin the creativity throughout
eder 8:44 PM - 28 July, 2009
downloading now...been waiting for this for a minute.
dj_KaSE 8:48 PM - 28 July, 2009
I clicked on the site link only to find a black background with a small blue cube in da center of da page. Not iPhone/non-flash friendly apparently.
:-/
SiRocket 8:59 PM - 28 July, 2009
not the designers problem that its flash and apple is in the stone-age... ;)
uno seis 9:22 PM - 28 July, 2009
just listened all the way through...dope mix! my favorite part is
D-Twizzle 10:01 PM - 28 July, 2009
thanks, downloading..
bandoma 10:28 PM - 28 July, 2009
thanks for checking out the mix. hope all of you like it. a bunch of you here from CQ to audio to dub to uno...really push the envelope when it comes to creativity. in other words, thanks for keeping all of us on our toes and thanks for the inspiration.

peace
Audio1 10:32 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
just listened all the way through...dope mix! my favorite part is
Yes, Im loving this part. Nice skratch patterns and word play.
DJ Alkemy 11:00 PM - 28 July, 2009
Nice mix...while it aint my usual type of music that I listen to it was mixed real nice....nice subtle transitions, really could picture yourself in an open air club in the Summer lol...two thumbs up..oh, nice cutting too.
SiRocket 2:49 AM - 29 July, 2009
bandoma doing it big!
dj_KaSE 4:01 AM - 29 July, 2009
K I'm finally on my computer. Gonna start downloading. It's been a long week and it's only Tuesday, so looking forward to this.
dj_KaSE 4:09 AM - 29 July, 2009
Whoa bandoma's large mug took over my browser lol (no misquotes)
dj_KaSE 4:10 AM - 29 July, 2009
Sick flash site, Ricky.
Panic City 4:56 AM - 29 July, 2009
bandoma is not a joke. sick ass site homie. dling now
bandoma 4:57 AM - 29 July, 2009
Quote:
Whoa bandoma's large mug took over my browser lol (no misquotes)

hey...at least its a good looking mug :p
SiRocket 6:08 AM - 29 July, 2009
yea believe me, i had to photoshop it abit ;) I KID!

All came together great! Thanks KASE!
billybobbarmcake 2:09 PM - 29 July, 2009
This mix is really fresh.

Loved it from start to finish man, really nice mixing, really nice cuts, a lot of creativity.

This is a must download people.
Sticky K 3:11 PM - 29 July, 2009
Nice mix man!
dj Juarez 6:01 PM - 29 July, 2009
Very nice mix! So fresshhh and so clean clean!
bandoma 9:47 PM - 29 July, 2009
yo yo yo! i'm on beezo.net now. if ya liked the mix, can you click here

www.beezo.net and give me an honest rating? appreciate it!

and if you're having trouble dl the mix from my site, you can also dl it at beezo.net

@steve, i mentioned that to ricky. forgot what he said...it went over my head. lol...but he could prolly explain it better.
SiRocket 10:53 PM - 29 July, 2009
in web design you have to compete with everyone having different screen resolutions... you could shrink it down to fit your 800x600 screen but then it will be too small or hard to read and not fill the screen on 1400xblah blah screen... the main "meat" of the site is 900 pixels wide and so forth... most people these days have 1024 or 1280xwhatever high screens these days.

Thats why some websites that you view on your "high tech new mac" might seem super small or have too much "non used real estate" on the screen ;)

Just how the ball rolls, if you end up making the site autosize to users screens then you have aspect ration issues too and then bandoma's head would look all lopsided if someone was on a "square" monitor instead of the letterbox "wide" style.....

I could go on and on about this topic... believe me.

5stars i rated!
SiRocket 10:53 PM - 29 July, 2009
aspect ratio*
bandoma 10:56 PM - 29 July, 2009
Quote:
in web design you have to compete with everyone having different screen resolutions... you could shrink it down to fit your 800x600 screen but then it will be too small or hard to read and not fill the screen on 1400xblah blah screen... the main "meat" of the site is 900 pixels wide and so forth... most people these days have 1024 or 1280xwhatever high screens these days.

Thats why some websites that you view on your "high tech new mac" might seem super small or have too much "non used real estate" on the screen ;)

Just how the ball rolls, if you end up making the site autosize to users screens then you have aspect ration issues too and then bandoma's head would look all lopsided if someone was on a "square" monitor instead of the letterbox "wide" style.....

I could go on and on about this topic... believe me.

5stars i rated!

told ya it was complicated...i let the professional do his thing.

thanks for the votes dub and ricky.

dub we need to have a quick sesh. lemme know when yer back in irvine
bandoma 11:26 PM - 29 July, 2009
i might cruise over. ask ryan if its cool. gonna hit the gym first
jnovakane 5:04 PM - 30 July, 2009
bump.

good ish bandoma
kue 5:06 PM - 30 July, 2009
Adding to the IPod!
Audio1 5:08 PM - 30 July, 2009
Sick mix as always... Def pushing the envelope for the SSL All-Stars on here.
Mike_P 8:36 PM - 30 July, 2009
dope! flawless mixes. and the site is dope too! good job bandoma & ricky!
dj_KaSE 5:00 PM - 31 July, 2009
bandoma, I didn't hear a single train wreck. Good job. Your mix, along with Woody's recent mix, got me from bakersfield to L.A. yesterday haha.

I was singing along until I got to the house set, then I got lost lol. Overall a great listen, and your cuts are dope as always.
DVDjHardy 6:00 PM - 31 July, 2009
I've been bumping this in my car and since I only drive 3 miles max to get everywhere I'm still only half way through...haha. I love all the house songs I've heard so far, this is really well-done!
J0be 7:46 AM - 4 August, 2009
Holy balls, can't believe I slept on this.

Dont worry though B, I'm all over it!

Intro is fucking wicked.....
J0be 7:54 AM - 4 August, 2009
Damn, this mix is hot! You got that creative edge mang.
J0be 8:05 AM - 4 August, 2009
.....bandoma 32 bar scratch sesh....good Lord!
geeunot 1:02 PM - 4 August, 2009
Quote:
bandoma, I didn't hear a single train wreck. Good job. Your mix, along with Woody's recent mix, got me from bakersfield to L.A. yesterday haha.

I was singing along until I got to the house set, then I got lost lol. Overall a great listen, and your cuts are dope as always.

its because its multi tracked like most well produced mixes that are put on beezo. half the time you dont know if its live or not, good mix, will listen again tomorrow. congrats on winning. the prizes seem pretty dope too.
bandoma 3:58 PM - 4 August, 2009
@J0be...lol homie. glad you dug the skratch sesh.

and yes this mix is definitely a multi track mix. beezo states that produced mixes have a better chance of winning than live mixes. i have nothing wrong with djs making multi track mixes as long as they could rock it live.
sixxx 4:01 PM - 4 August, 2009
Quote:
i have nothing wrong with djs making multi track mixes as long as they could rock it live.

+1
gotchuckz 6:29 PM - 4 August, 2009
i always read about multi track mixes. So what's the right definition of a multi track mix?
dj_KaSE 8:19 PM - 4 August, 2009
Good question.

Quote:
bandoma, your mix, along with Woody's recent mix, got me from bakersfield to L.A. yesterday haha.

K it's revised lol
DJ Michael Basic 8:39 PM - 4 August, 2009
Just listened through...dope as always.
geeunot 9:57 PM - 4 August, 2009
Quote:
i always read about multi track mixes. So what's the right definition of a multi track mix?

i think it's a mix that is produced and prerecorded before hand that can't be reproduced live and everything is super on beat and clean. you can usually tell its multitracked if the mix is super clean with 100% no mistakes haha.
bandoma 10:07 PM - 4 August, 2009
^ with serato you can actually reproduce a "multi track" mix by creating the multi tracked parts into edits or mp3's.

so i beg to differ, i could make edits of the multi track portions of this mix and rock it live.

like i said before, i have no problem with djs making multi track mixes as long as they could rock it live.

My goal was to win this contest and it paid off. Why would you hand out a mix with your name on it if your scratches were sloppy, your mixing was off beat and your levels were off?

@mike thanks for checking it out...just trying rock it like you!
Audio1 10:09 PM - 4 August, 2009
Geeunot, No Diss but I know Bandoma.... He can pull alot of the mixing on this mix LIVE and cleanly too... He never said it wasnt a produced mix. On the contrary, He admits it. The difference here is, BANDOMA actually is dope LIVE vs most DJs who multitrack their mixes suck ass LIVE.

Bandoma is on point 100% of the time both mixing and skratching. Need proof? Here's Bandoma, at SUTRA, rocking a live crowd. 100% party rocking in my opinion. Watchwww.youtube.com Real crowd, Real party, No fuck ups...
geeunot 10:14 PM - 4 August, 2009
yup no doubt, he can rock it live, i didn' t say he couldnt. haha I agree with all you guys man. i do multitrack mixes too. big ups to bandoma. nice site also, im gonna holla @ si rocket to see if he can make me one. i didnt mean to contradict him or anything.
DVDjHardy 10:30 PM - 4 August, 2009
Those cuts in that Sutra vid are nice!
DJ Alkemy 10:36 PM - 4 August, 2009
Multi track mixing is fine in my eyes...If I buy a mix CD i want it to be spot on..I dont wanna hear the part where the guys cat walks over the turntables haha...I remember when I used to make mix tapes...the C90's...I would be nearing the end of my set and would do a horrible mix or super sloppy scratching...boom, start again lol...so yeah, I say as long as the guy has the skills (which Bandoma clearly has) then multi tracking is A-ok...dont really think that geeunot was dissing him anyways but nevermind, my tuppence worth.
geeunot 10:43 PM - 4 August, 2009
yeah i wasn't, i never said there was anything wrong w/ multirack mixes. i guess i should have rephrased "prerecorded before hand that can't be reproduced live ".
Audio1 10:45 PM - 4 August, 2009
word up. rephrasing was def in order. all good.
bandoma 10:56 PM - 4 August, 2009
Quote:
yeah i wasn't, i never said there was anything wrong w/ multirack mixes. i guess i should have rephrased "prerecorded before hand that can't be reproduced live ".

word all gravy.

on another note...we're having the cd release party this friday at sutra. if you're in so cal, come through.

i158.photobucket.com
sixxx 11:29 PM - 4 August, 2009
Quote:
I dont wanna hear the part where the guys cat walks over the turntables haha

hahaha. That happened to me several times. I had to restart my mix as this was when all was done in one take.
Victor L 2:43 PM - 14 August, 2009
2 month old Baby DJ here - listening to this mix as I am typing this, can feel the envy creaping up, very nice. I just got a 57sl, 2 1210m5gs, and a 15" mbp. HOW DO I DO THIS?? I still don't understand what you mean by multirack. Tell me where I can learn more about making these mixes. When 'recording' this are you doing it continuously - meaning that it took you exactly 69:40? One shot? Thanks!
DeezNotes 2:47 PM - 14 August, 2009
Not continuous. Stopping and starting to layer tracks. Not in one shot... many shots.
Victor L 2:57 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
Not continuous. Stopping and starting to layer tracks. Not in one shot... many shots.

To be clear, you can play 30 seconds of a track, hit stop - que up a sound effect, sample, next track, scratch, WHATEVER ... then continue recording? And do this over and over and over til you're done? That sounds awesome, how do I do this, where is the book?
bandoma 3:29 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
2 month old Baby DJ here - listening to this mix as I am typing this, can feel the envy creaping up, very nice. I just got a 57sl, 2 1210m5gs, and a 15" mbp. HOW DO I DO THIS?? I still don't understand what you mean by multirack. Tell me where I can learn more about making these mixes. When 'recording' this are you doing it continuously - meaning that it took you exactly 69:40? One shot? Thanks!

Victor, it takes a lot of time to put together a mix like this. Since you've been djing for 2 months, I'd recommend just getting down the basics of djn before you try a multi track project.

As I said in my other post, I have no problems with djs making multitrack mixes as long as they could rock it live.

If you have the basics of mixing down i.e., mixing on beat, on bar, having the correct fade ins and out, making sure your phrasing is correct...etc then go ahead and try a multi track project.

Once you become good at djn live on the turntables, then move forward with making the multi track mixes.

I know there are some kids out there that are really good at computer programs. They put together are really clean, produced, multi track mix. The problem is that when they play live, they sound completely different. I've seen people look uncomfortable touching the turntables. I've seen people who were literally scared to touch the record. And the worst of them all is I've seen djs who don't know how to pick up a needle.

So in other words, get your live mixing and basic turntable skills down first. Then move on to other things once you master the basics.

peace
djpuma_gemini 3:36 PM - 14 August, 2009
Bandoma killing it as always. call me dj envious. (NH)
Victor L 3:46 PM - 14 August, 2009
bandoma - basics are in the back pocket, also I am very good at the baby scratch (j/k) . Seriously though, I played drums for years and picked up the basics pretty quickly. Problem is, there is no manual or players guide that I know of - so I'm not sure of what is 'next' per say. I know there are a couple schools in NYC that offer DJ classes, but I live outside of Detroit and there is nothing like that here. Once the basics are down, what then? Sampling? Juggling? Effects? How long have you been DJing? How long did it take you to put this mix together? Is there a DJ dictionary somewhere out there? Guide me sensei
bandoma 4:01 PM - 14 August, 2009
If you have basic mixing down, try recording a live mix and ask for constructive feedback here.

As far a multitrack mixing, there are many programs out there that you can mess around with. Audacity is a good one to start out with, its very easy to use and if you play around with it long enough you could teach yourself. Same thing goes for cool edit pro which is now known as adobe audition.

After you get the basics down, its up to you on what skills you would like to learn next.

The mix took me about a month to put together. I really took my time on this one because it gave me the chance to evaluate what sounded well and what didn't.

Not sure if there is a dj dictionary - google? lol

I've been djn for 16 going on 17 years now.
djpuma_gemini 4:53 PM - 14 August, 2009
Quote:
bandoma - basics are in the back pocket, also I am very good at the baby scratch (j/k) . Seriously though, I played drums for years and picked up the basics pretty quickly. Problem is, there is no manual or players guide that I know of - so I'm not sure of what is 'next' per say. I know there are a couple schools in NYC that offer DJ classes, but I live outside of Detroit and there is nothing like that here. Once the basics are down, what then? Sampling? Juggling? Effects? How long have you been DJing? How long did it take you to put this mix together? Is there a DJ dictionary somewhere out there? Guide me sensei

basics in the back pocket after 2 months. I dunno. Try like bandoma said, make a mix, hell just 5 or 6 songs one take no editing and post it up for feedback.
Mixman 5:02 PM - 14 August, 2009
Up to 4 mins and already loving it! Good Job bandoma :)
gotchuckz 6:53 PM - 14 August, 2009
what program? u should hit SAVE every 2 minutes.
Victor L 7:13 PM - 14 August, 2009
basics in the back pocket after 2 months. I dunno. Try like bandoma said, make a mix, hell just 5 or 6 songs one take no editing and post it up for feedback.

gemini you could very well be right - depends on what you consider the basics. what seems to work for me is to beat match the qued track, and 'baby scratch' it in until its perfect, loop it, fade it over at the appropriate time, drop the mids(sometimes), slowly bring them back, and hit que 1 or 2 in time taking it back to somewhere near the beginning of the track. I do this the majority of the time. Occasionally I mashup songs that are simple and essentially the same i.e. These Sounds Fall into My Mind by the Bucketheads and I Know You Want Me by Pitbull, David Bowie & Diddy Lets Dance, etc. To make a big bpm change I'll either backspin, brake, or just let it hangout and everyone gets to hear how it happens. Other than that, I honestly rely on my ability to read what the crowd is digging and taylor it to them, if they are having a good time then I am happy. I DJ right now at 2 sports bars on Thursday and Friday nights. I don't know if they've had complete losers there before or not but I seem to be getting compliments pretty often and business has picked up a lot for them on those nights.

I know this isn't the thread for this (sorry bandamo) so I will start a new one and I will take any and all suggestions. I will call it Help Vic Become A Better DJ Faster

question - Can you sell your mixes, like this one, legally?
2 - what is DJ code for playing certain parts of another DJ's mixes in your set? As in - I think I'm gonna put 5 ques into bandamo's summer mix and throw it in tonight?

- Justs wants to get better
gotchuckz 7:22 PM - 14 August, 2009
the DJ code is NOT to do that at all. play ur own ish.
bandoma 7:26 PM - 14 August, 2009
YES ITS A MAJOR VIOLATION OF THE DJ CODE IF YOU PLAY OTHER DJS MIXES!

do not put 5 cues in my mix. if you want to play one of the tracks i edited...scroll up, i posted a download link there. feel free to play that.

Aside from that, I am NOT SELLING this mix. This mix is for PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY as I am using it to promote the artists that are featured.

and yes, please start your own thread so you can reach help.
SK1 7:40 PM - 14 August, 2009
Loving it Bandoma... slept on this one, but I'm wide awake now. Lately I've been thinking about multi tracking for promo mixes. I just never got into it because I like to do "one take" mixes, Everything on my myspace was done in one take.... but I'll try multi tracking for my next cd project.
Victor L 10:44 PM - 14 August, 2009
bandoma, great mix bud, keep it up and best of luck to you
bandoma 10:58 PM - 14 August, 2009
np dood...don't take my words as a diss or negative feedback. i understand where you're coming from and I wanted to give you the best constructive feedback to help you with your dj skills.

good luck to you too.