Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DDJ 1000 SRT vs DDJ SZ2

Nathan Looney 1:00 AM - 18 August, 2019
Any significant differences between the new DDJ 1000 SRT and the Pioneer DJJ SZ2?

Are the sound cards the same? What makes the SZ2 more expensive?
Philmixit 1:52 AM - 18 August, 2019
Yes it 's for SERATO DJ PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
djrz 3:05 AM - 18 August, 2019
I've wondered the same thing, so I'll save you some time researching...
Here's what I found so far...

SZ2 Has the following that SRT doesn't have (AFAIK)
Needle Search strip
Stop time / brake knob
Dedicated Flip Controls
'More' loop control buttons (no need to use shift as much)
Serato FX controls - activate and adjust
Physical cross fader tension and curve adjustments (also still not sure if SRT can reverse xfader even thru software)
Velocity performance pads (haven't been able to confirm if SRT pads are velocity)
Panel view button
Capacitive jog wheels
Power is AC straight in - whereas SRT is DC in from external AC adapter (could reduce cost?).

SRT has ;
Pressure activated jog wheels (slightly bigger by 4mm) with visual information in jog wheel
Different mixer and inbuilt beat FX

Even though the list is bigger for the SZ2 those two new features on the SRT are a big plus IMO

Price... well don't know how or why the price is worked out... licensing, component count, quality, manufacture process, internal power vs external power...

As far as the sound cards etc. it's hard to tell as there don't seem to be a lot of specs available. The simple soundcard specs on the Pioneer website are virtually identical.
djccccc 4:41 AM - 18 August, 2019
The loops!!!

I’m sorry to say but the looping method on the SX2 Or SZ2 - is far superior than the DDJ 1000 SRT.

The SRT has got so much potential it’s just needing a bit of “ revisions “ ... when it comes to the next set of firmware when they update.

There are some Early teething problems - not major problems - just niggles
DJ Tecniq 6:22 PM - 18 August, 2019
SZ2 much bigger than the SRT. SRT is more compact & mobile friendly.
10830448 1:35 AM - 20 August, 2019
I have the SZ2 and love it!! yes it's big but hey if it works for you go for it, it definitely works for me

I bought the DDJ 1000 SRT as a back up unit, after playing around with it, I noticed that there would be bad sound coming out of it, I mean all I had to do it touch the level depth knob on the echo and it would get static, same thing when I moved the up down fader on a channel that wasn't even loaded or even hooked up.

I took it back.
Que Yi 2:48 PM - 2 December, 2019
I’ve owned the SX2, SZ, and the 1000. Comparing the SZ to the 1000 is more apples to oranges. They are built on two different hardware and software platforms. I am more of a hands on the platter DJ. I started with vinyl and am used to 1:1 touch and control factor. In my opinion the jog wheels on the 1000 and the cross fader are more in sync than the touch capacity technology on the DZ. The DZ series is also a great controller as well. Again in my opinion both units offer a DJ what they need: effects, controllability, good sound, features ( pitch n time & Flip) and loops.

One thing I noticed is that for mobile work the DZ has a grander appearance which helps in perception.
Dj Farhan 3:14 PM - 2 December, 2019
How would you differentiate the job wheels exactly? Trying to understand the feel
Que Yi 4:10 PM - 2 December, 2019
The Jog wheels on the 1000 are pressure sensitive like on Nexus CDJ's. You have to physically press down on them to manipulate the tracks. I prefer that tactile feel since I'm slightly heavy handed. The jog wheels on the DZ are touch sensitive and from what I've read and experienced respond to heat from your fingers in order to manipulate the track.
Dj Farhan 5:16 PM - 2 December, 2019
ok thanks, i figured it would be easier to use the jog wheels on the dz since u dont have to exert that much pressure as compared to the 1000
DJ Varmintbaby 2:28 AM - 6 December, 2019
I currently have an SX2, and my holy grail controller right now is the SZ2. The size of it, 4 channels, the jog wheels look beautiful and I prefer touch jogs as opposed to pressure. It's what I started on and prefer now. Also the SZ2 has Serato FX controls on the controller which the SRT does not. Sure the SRT has beat FX or whatever, but the SZ2 has color FX, some beatFX AND Serato FX controls. It also has needle search which can be a godsend in a pinch. Both have DVS capability, but I've heard that the larger size of the SZ2 makes moving between a turntable on each side of it a bit more difficult. That's probably more exaggeration than anything because it's not THAT much bigger than my SX2. It's not table long or some shiz. Anyway if I had the money to by either, I would definitely go with the SZ2. The jog displays on the SRT don't have much pertinent info that's not already on your laptop screen (which you'll still have to look at with the SRT since no waveforms). Overall I just think the SZ2 and even the regular SZ is a better controller. It's the flagship Pioneer controller for Serato for a reason. If money is an issue, you can go for the SRT and I'm sure you'll be happy though. Good luck!
Dj Farhan 7:45 AM - 6 December, 2019
^ i hear ya. thanks for the insight. I guess the only thing i am missing and wish i had on the sz2 is the mixer fx the SRT does