DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RCF 705as ii Subwoofer

Mr.Dj-Jace 12:28 AM - 30 July, 2019
Hello my fellow DJ's? I have a few questions in regards to RCF. I'm planning to sell off my QSC equipment this weekend. My old body with a bad lower back is having trouble lifting the kw181 in and out of my vehicle. I'm planning to start over from scratch by rebuilding up a more compact rig where lifting will be a breeze. I want light weight, yet still being able to have plenty of headroom and have great sound quality.

I've did some serious research online, read tons of forums and product reviews. I come down to giving RCF a shot. Problem is, I never seen a RCF speaker before. Never heard one. None of the music shops in my area carry that name brand. I always like to test before buying. I'm going to bite the bullet and trust what I read online and trust what the pros here think.

I'm starting with the subs, I need something easy to move. I just ordered a pair of RCF 705as ii. I am a little nervous and hope I made the right choice. 63 pounds shouldn't be a problem. My shows are weddings, birthdays and anniversary parties. Normal average crowd of 100 to 150 give or take.

My question is, which tops would be perfect for the RCF 705asii ? RCF has so many 10 inch and 12 inch two way boxes to choose from. I never seen a speaker company with so many choices and being close in price. Is there really a difference? Specs all pretty much look identical. Any feedback would be great, thanks.
577er 1:03 AM - 30 July, 2019
I want from KW181s & K12s years ago to RCF 705ASii subs with RCF HD10 MK4 tops. Very happy I did. Much lighter but plenty of power for weddings of 150. I do keep a pair of K8s for ceremonies and cocktail hour because having the RCA inputs and basic mixer comes in handy for those kinds of things. I also use a pair of RCF Evox12 and love them but the 705ASii & HD10mk4 tops are a cheaper way to get great lightweight sound quality. ProAudio Star had the best prices when I was shopping around. They often have RCF packages that include free protective bags.

Just to put your mind at ease RCF are great speakers.
Mr.Dj-Jace 1:20 AM - 30 July, 2019
Yeah I was thinking about the HD10a. One thing I was wondering about is the crossover. I've always used crossover settings at 100hz. In fact that's all I've used. The 705asii only has a choice of 80hz and 110hz. Does the hd10a handle the bass above 80hz pretty good? Don't you sometimes wish you had the hd12a when you have your system up in volume? Just wondering. I was debating between these two, I like the full grill look.
577er 8:11 PM - 30 July, 2019
The HD10MK4 does lack bass when used by it’s self compared to a 12” but combined with the subs they sound really good. The reason for the HD10MK4 vs a 12” was how small and light they are.

The subs reach their limit before the HD10s.
Mr.Dj-Jace 12:18 AM - 31 July, 2019
@577er. I appreciate you helping me out with this. I've googled rcf dealers in my area. I've found one place which is a hour drive away. I've called them to see if they had Rcf, they said yes they have the HD series line and the evox 12. I'm going on a little road trip tomorrow to see for myself. My subs won't be here til Friday. Looking forward to hearing them. By the way, I see what you mean about the box size comparison. I saw both boxes on youtube. The hd12a looks like a giant sitting next to the hd10a.
Mr.Dj-Jace 4:13 AM - 3 August, 2019
Just an update. Finally got my new set-up. I got a pair of Rcf Hd10a and a pair of Rcf 705as ii. Listening to it in my living room. Very nice. Subs are very clean, very smooth sounding. My 10 inch two way tops are the cleanest sounding tops I've ever owned. Vocals are crystal clear.

I have a question with gain settings. Where exactly is unity on these speakers? I'm assuming it's the 12 o'clock position, the manual is not clear on this. I want to make sure before I set out to my first gig with these in the near future. Thanks.
Mr.Dj-Jace 4:16 AM - 3 August, 2019
I have the latest tops. Hd10a mk4 , not the original.
577er 9:01 AM - 3 August, 2019
Nice! Congratulations on the new system.

I find the tops work best with the gain all the way up and the subs at noon / half way up. Kinda weird but that what i’ve found in using them.
Mr.Dj-Jace 5:24 PM - 3 August, 2019
Hey thanks. I've done some research on Rcf and you are right about maxing out the gain knob on the Hd10a mk4. I've read the max position is unity. I hope what I found online is accurate. I'm also thinking if you have the switch set on mic, then the 12 o'clock position now becomes unity. I really like these speakers, they sound light years better than the qsc k10.2. Thanks for recommending the Hd10a mk4.
dj_soo 12:13 AM - 5 August, 2019
don't set the switch to mic - you'll engage the preamp and it's not worth the risk of blowing out your speaker.
Mr.Dj-Jace 12:43 AM - 5 August, 2019
Quote:
don't set the switch to mic - you'll engage the preamp and it's not worth the risk of blowing out your speaker.

I won't. My new toys are permanently switched to line level. I always use my Yamaha mixer.
KAHLUA1 11:12 AM - 6 August, 2019
RCF 745 mark2 would be my1# choice
Have you heard the Bose F1 system? I have a pair and they bang plus fit inside my Dodge Challenger.
They bang like QSC 181 with a BBE & weighs 55lbs!
KAHLUA1 11:15 AM - 6 August, 2019
You should’ve got the RCF Evox 12 if you want portability
KAHLUA1 11:16 AM - 6 August, 2019
Quote:
Have you heard the Bose F1 system? I have a pair and they bang plus fit inside my Dodge Challenger.
They bang like QSC 181 with a BBE & weighs 55lbs![/quote. F1 Subs that is!1000watt rms
Mr.Dj-Jace 11:18 PM - 6 August, 2019
@Kahlua1. I've researched all of these sound systems. I'm sure the Bose system and the rcf evox12 are nice sounding and portable. It's as portable as it gets and able to sound big.

I went with the cost effective route. 577er is right with recommending me the Rcf Hd10a mk4. I got a great deal on them. Only paid $395 each for the tops and only $1800 on a pair of Rcf 705as ii brand new in a box. My new system overall only costed me $2590. Plus I was able to get most of my money back on selling off the QSC.

My system = $2590
Pair of evox12= $5000
Bose system = Over $4000.

I believe I got this right. I can fit my new system in a Honda Civic. I am very happy with my new RCF set-up.
desmorider 3:36 AM - 7 August, 2019
Quote:

No such thing as RCF ART745 mkII. They have ART745A and ART745A MK4
KAHLUA1 3:42 AM - 7 August, 2019
How does the RCF 705AS11 Sub compared to the Evox12 Sub?
577er 1:52 AM - 8 August, 2019
Quote:
How does the RCF 705AS11 Sub compared to the Evox12 Sub?

The 705s are a bit better as it’s a dedicated sub. The EVOX12 bottoms have a pretty high crossover point that’s designed to match the tops. The 705 also have the 80 or 110 low pass selection to get the sound you prefer.
Mr.Dj-Jace 8:48 PM - 22 August, 2019
Anybody here ever had issues with RCF the way they package their stuff when it ships out? I had to send one of my subs back three times. Both times they came back and the wood was chipped or the coating was all scrapped off on the corners.

First time it was damaged.
Second time the sub was in perfect shape but it was dead on arrival.
Third time its damaged but not bad like the first one. I just sent it back again. Waiting for a 4th time. It's driving me crazy. Has anyone experienced this with RCF subs?
577er 12:52 AM - 23 August, 2019
Yikes!!! No issues here and I have 7 RCF speakers in total. Who did you order them from? I’ve ordered from both ProAudio Star and Chuck Levin’s.

I recently had a hard case for a controller show up smashed badly in transit. That’s not easy to do.
Mr.Dj-Jace 1:47 AM - 23 August, 2019
Guitar Center in New Orleans, La. They sent the first one back, then it was back ordered. So they ordered directly from RCF U.S.A. with no middle man and now it's becoming a pain in the ass. RCF needs to do better packaging their products. Putting a sub in a plastic bag then putting it in a box with only 2 layers of cardboard only protecting the top and bottom is not enough. Needs styrofoam in the corners. My tops are perfect, my other sub is perfect. Getting my 2nd sub in new condition is adding more greys to my head.
Mr.Dj-Jace 4:34 PM - 27 October, 2019
@577er. Hey, I have a question about the RCF system we have and I am still learning and getting a feel for it. I did my first show with them last night. My question is about the crossover setting and volume balancing between tops and subs.
Which crossover setting is your preference? I read lots of forums on this RCF 705asmk2 sub and most prefer the 80hz crossover setting over 110hz. During my sound check before the wedding, I tested the 80hz vs. 110hz and I've found the 110hz sounded night and day better than the 80hz. The 80hz sounds like there is something missing like there is a dip in the upper bass frequencies, I even tried adjusting the sub's volume and was unable to find that balance. The 80hz just seems something is not quite right with it. The crossover switch was engaged. My tops gain was maxed and subs were set at 1 o'clock using 110hz.

What's your thoughts on this? How do you use the 80hz setting and how you have the gain volume set? By the way, the wedding reception went great, RCF's are very impressive.
577er 7:49 PM - 27 October, 2019
Glad to hear from another 705mk2 fan!

I sound check each room when selecting the 80 vs 110 cross over as well as if I high pass the tops. Every room is different and even where you set up in the room changes the bass significantly. I’ve noticed the 110Hz setting can sound bad when you are standing directly behind the subs but not when you’re out on the floor.

I usually don’t high pass the signal to the HD10 tops as I prefer to couple the 705s and have the HD10s on either side of the dance floor up high around 7 feet especially if the dance floor is small or close that way it’s not overly loud for the dancers or me! I haven’t noticed any cancellations or other bad sounding artifacts form running them full range with subs.

I always prefer to aux feed the subs as their gain should be around noon vs the tops which should be all the way up. I’ve run them with the signal into the subs then high passed to the tops but always prefer to have that extra level of control where I can boost the bass on old school songs and bring it back down on modern music with plenty of bass.
Mr.Dj-Jace 8:50 PM - 27 October, 2019
I might try running my tops full range as part of a test while running the sub in 80hz. I just ran a PA tone tester earlier in my living room. I don't know if you know this or not, but the 80hz/110hz switch has no change or effect on subs output high pass, only the sub itself changes with the switch. Only the Link/crossover switch has effect on the output weather if it's full range or high passed. I'm sure RCF has the crossover slope set-up on the output one way where it accommodates with both 80hz and 110hz, obviously. I've always thought the 80/110 switch changes the output to the tops as well, but it doesn't. I find that to be unusual. I would like to know what type of high pass crossover slope it uses.
577er 9:18 PM - 27 October, 2019
Weird, I figured it would be the crossover and output crossover.
Mr.Dj-Jace 10:07 PM - 27 October, 2019
Personally, I think what's real here is this: The RCF 705asii sub really only has one crossover spot when the crossover switch is engaged. Exactly which frequency is crossed will remain as a mystery. The 80hz/110hz switch is really not a true crossover switch but only behaves as an eq control. 80hz setting is really a (deep tone bass) switch and the 110hz setting is really a (tight punchy bass) tone switch. After running my test today with a PA tone tester. I am convinced this is how the sub really works. Talk about being mislead in buying a product. I still love this sub, great sound. However the controls in the dsp doesn't operate the way as one would think.

577er? Test this out for yourself. I hope I'm wrong.
desmorider 1:14 AM - 28 October, 2019
According to the manual the 80/110hz setting should effect the outputs to the tops if the xover out/link switch is set to xover. Maybe your sub has a problem.
Mr.Dj-Jace 2:40 AM - 28 October, 2019
Quote:
According to the manual the 80/110hz setting should effect the outputs to the tops if the xover out/link switch is set to xover. Maybe your sub has a problem.

I thought the same thing earlier when I was running my sound test if my sub was a defect. I pulled my 2nd sub out my closet to check it as well only to find my other rcf 705as ii did the same thing. I am hoping 577er would see if his subs do the same thing. If it was a defect, what are the odds of me owning 2 subs with the same identical issue? Both my subs do the same thing.
DJ Unique 6:12 AM - 28 October, 2019
Earlier this year I also switched to RCF from QSC due to weight and happy with my choice.
I went with HD32A & SUB905 ASii
SELECT 2:40 PM - 28 October, 2019
Quote:
Personally, I think what's real here is this: The RCF 705asii sub really only has one crossover spot when the crossover switch is engaged. Exactly which frequency is crossed will remain as a mystery. The 80hz/110hz switch is really not a true crossover switch but only behaves as an eq control. 80hz setting is really a (deep tone bass) switch and the 110hz setting is really a (tight punchy bass) tone switch. After running my test today with a PA tone tester. I am convinced this is how the sub really works. Talk about being mislead in buying a product. I still love this sub, great sound. However the controls in the dsp doesn't operate the way as one would think.

Sounds like the crossover is working perfectly! I think you are very confused as to how it all works. Its not a tone switch, its a frequency adjustment. Do you want the sub to operate at below 80hz, or below 110hz? What you described is exactly what you should hear. I personally leave my RCF 708 subs open up to 120hz. I get the full spectrum of mid and low bass. 80hz over, sounds strained at high volumes. Only good for cocktail hour and dinner music or close by sessions. What you are forgetting is that you also have to hit the xover button for the tops aka (OUT) if not they will run in full range tops, not crossed over. Once you do that it will keep the tops over 80hz or 110hz, hence crossing over the tops and bottoms so they don't overlap.
Mr.Dj-Jace 4:30 PM - 28 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like the crossover is working perfectly! I think you are very confused as to how it all works. Its not a tone switch, its a frequency adjustment. Do you want the sub to operate at below 80hz, or below 110hz? What you described is exactly what you should hear. I personally leave my RCF 708 subs open up to 120hz. I get the full spectrum of mid and low bass. 80hz over, sounds strained at high volumes. Only good for cocktail hour and dinner music or close by sessions. What you are forgetting is that you also have to hit the xover button for the tops aka (OUT) if not they will run in full range tops, not crossed over. Once you do that it will keep the tops over 80hz or 110hz, hence crossing over the tops and bottoms so they don't overlap.

I have done all these things. While running a song with good bass, Xover button out, the output on the tops is full range. Xover button in, top's bass is almost cut out. Left the xover button in, now pressing the 80/110hz button in and out, in and out. Pressing it in , now pressing out. I'm listening closely, Nothing changes with the top speaker's sound. I even turned the sub's volume completely off only to hear the tops only. Xover button engaged, now switching back and forth on the 80/110hz with music going, no changes to the high pass roll off to the tops. Turned volume back up on sub, now switching 80/110 button back in for a few seconds, now back out while the xover button pushed in this whole time, only the sub tone changes and not the tops. Maybe both my subs are a defect. Who knows.
SELECT 4:49 PM - 28 October, 2019
"Xover button in, top's bass is almost cut out. Left the xover button in, now pressing the 80/110hz button in and out, in and out. Pressing it in, now pressing out. I'm listening closely, Nothing changes with the top speaker's sound".

Yup its absolutely working correctly. There should be no bass coming from the tops. You are also using 10 inch speakers for the tops. Which by default will not be a dramatic change from 80hz to 110hz. They are just not that strong. I use rcf 735a tops with my 708 subs. They have more mid/low end bass so its slightly noticeable, but even then it's still all highs.

That 705 sub sound best at 110 hz, fully open, mid and low bass. The 10 inch tops will also be able to go louder and they arent being strained from trying to bump all the low end as well. Overall you should be aiming for it to sound clean and not muddy, muffled.
Mr.Dj-Jace 6:30 PM - 28 October, 2019
Quote:
"Xover button in, top's bass is almost cut out. Left the xover button in, now pressing the 80/110hz button in and out, in and out. Pressing it in, now pressing out. I'm listening closely, Nothing changes with the top speaker's sound".

Yup its absolutely working correctly. There should be no bass coming from the tops. You are also using 10 inch speakers for the tops. Which by default will not be a dramatic change from 80hz to 110hz. They are just not that strong. I use rcf 735a tops with my 708 subs. They have more mid/low end bass so its slightly noticeable, but even then it's still all highs.

That 705 sub sound best at 110 hz, fully open, mid and low bass. The 10 inch tops will also be able to go louder and they arent being strained from trying to bump all the low end as well. Overall you should be aiming for it to sound clean and not muddy, muffled.

I have a great idea. When I get off from work, I'll go home and do one more thing. How about I hook up my sub to the other sub? If the first sub is set with the xover button in and set at 80hz and the second sub also set at 80hz, can we all agree by doing this, the 2nd sub in the signal chain should go completely quite? This will prove the 80hz/110hz switch has no effect on the sub signal output. Let me try this idea later today.
Mr.Dj-Jace 6:45 PM - 28 October, 2019
2nd sub should be reduced but I should be able to hear frequency shifting when I go in and out on the switch. I'll check it later
SELECT 7:35 PM - 28 October, 2019
Ok I think I see where you are confused. The middle Xover button ONLY affects the sub frequency and where it will operate, it does not cross over the tops. It gives you the option of choosing where you want it cut at, 80hz or 110hz. There is a separate button for the tops to be xover.

The top (link/xover/out) button will activate the crossover to the tops. Connect the 2nd sub to the link out. Leave the top button out and it will LINK both subs, full range. Push it in and it will XOVER aka cut off all low frequencies. All you will get is highs going through that 2nd sub. That sub goes up to 120hz, so you should have some mid vocals coming through.
SELECT 8:17 PM - 28 October, 2019
RCF manual is even more confusing. I'll test it out on my setup later this week as well.

Link/xover out switch: the output link is flat when the switch is OFF (the
output signal is the same as the input signal), or is high passed when the
switch is ON (to connect a satellite speaker).

Xover switch: this switch sets the crossover frequency of the OUTPUT
SIGNAL at 80 Hz or 120 Hz.