Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

steven wynen 4:44 AM - 17 July, 2019
The video update is a HUGE improvement!

everything works pretty smooth. even with output set to maximum.

a little tip, set the buffer size not to maximum what your computer can handle. as the waveform 'smoothness' is also updated, this eats some video power. (my serato screen setting is also set to 'high res screen display' for the retina display)

in my case the video card is 2GB.
when set to 2, the waveforms are stuttering a bit. when set to 1, the waveforms are really smooth. and the video performance is still really good (left + right 150 buffered frames, 58 frames output, when using 720p video files)

also the 'yuv handling' can be set to 'default' again. I needed to set this to 'software only' in order to get serato video working with mac os moyave (serious frame dropping)
now set to 'default', working great, and the little blur is gone (what occurred when set to 'software only')

greeetz
boo-lee 10:44 AM - 17 July, 2019
That's good to hear! Are you using a Mac or Windows machine?
steven wynen 10:47 AM - 17 July, 2019
Quote:
That's good to hear! Are you using a Mac or Windows machine?

no macbook pro
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 12:50 PM - 22 July, 2019
Actually,

I have a new 13inch Macbook pro with the 2.4 i5 and prior to 2.2 it never stuttered and was smooth. updated to 2.2 mid last week and at gig this past weekend, could not use SV, even at 720p and medium settings.

I had SDK pro opened, no problems doing audio.
Open Soundswitch. No problems at all
Add SV, orange red dot and audio dropouts right away.

Restart laptop, only use SDJ and SV and same thing
Wondering if it could be the dongle I have, but it runs perfect for everything just gets hot. But works when not using SV

Prior to the upgrade I tested the wedding videos I needed to use on the flat screen and SV and worked at 1080p high. did not have soundwitch running but was on same setup as one of my tests and nothing. only difference was 2.2

Ive done the optimizations and never an issue until this.
and my last macbook the 2011 pro 15 with 512mb amd would do medium 720 and be ok but never setup soundswitch also. but this newer iris pro 655 actually has better FPS scores in benchmarks

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Kevin
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 1:10 PM - 22 July, 2019
I should add that I'm running the power through that Dongle and my mixer (numark nv) is hooked up to a separate port with a small usbc to usb adapter.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 1:17 PM - 22 July, 2019
Wifi disabled and Dropbox "start automatically at windows start up" unchecked and system rebooted.
steven wynen 12:19 AM - 23 July, 2019
I also had the red dot coming up one time since 2.2.
When doing some testing this week at home.
I ignored it, but indeed that is not normal.
Something to follow up...
djcyph1 2:08 PM - 23 July, 2019
I'm noticing a huge improvement playback wise! I just did a comparison of FPS from 2.1 to 2.2. I'm in my home studio with my MPB 2016 hooked up just to an external tv monitor, no controller. In 2.1 with that setup, I get a varying FPS between 50-58, it's alway fluctuating. With 2.2, I'm getting a consistent 58 FPS with the decimal only fluctuating slightly and sometimes going to 59 FPS. These are all 1080p videos. Real test will be when I play live where I run this, jammtext and sometimes soundswitch. With all 3, video can be jumpy at times on 2.1.

ughh one BIG issue I just realized, and I know can't be fixed, is now they are using AVFoundation so all my resolume (DXV) files will no longer play in serato video. super annoying but I know that's an Apple thing. Is there no way to have Quicktime decoder and AvFoundation?

I can confirm that Quartz files are working again but rather have them broken and be able to play 3rd party codecs!
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 11:00 PM - 23 July, 2019
that is good to hear, How did you get the FPS to appear in the video windows?

I had tested at home with everything on and no issues what so ever.

I did just read a post about the quality of the HDMI wire possibly being an issue, or the USB2 issue with the T2 chip.

I hardly use video anymore but it does come up for weddings. in this case i used VLC and audio jack out into another channel on mixer and that worked for their wedding video, would not work for Karaoke, lol
djcyph1 5:53 PM - 24 July, 2019
Quote:

when playing, go to settings, expansion packs, video, then info tab and you'll see it.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 5:35 PM - 25 July, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

when playing, go to settings, expansion packs, video, then info tab and you'll see it.

Thanks noticed that if I have my settings to 1080P best and the original video is 720 or less, it stays at 58-59 FPS, true 1080P video is a bit tougher and fluctuates to 30's and back to high 50's so i put it to high or 720p high, and still its at 58-59, Now this is just with SDJ and SV playing with no other USB device connected, Ill test tomorrow with the mixer and Soundswitch connected to see what could be causing the red dot when I had all connected devices are running.
I did order a croma cable USB B to C in hopes that helps as well,
So many posts about the T2 chip and USB2.0 dropouts saying to get usb3.0 devices, umm not a lot of mixers are 3.0, and soundswitch is what? 2.0 even though its new.
or to get a true TB3 dock that has its own USB controller.
Others say the fix in MOjave recently fixed it.

What I do have to say is a lot of these issues are also happening on the fully decked out 15 inchers so this has nothing to do with the video card not being strong enough or not having enough memory. This really is an apple issue with USB2.0. Which is weird to be honest as wouldnt 3.0 be backwards compatible and not use as much traffic so should be less demanding on the system?
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 5:51 AM - 26 July, 2019
It seems the previous Mojave update fixed the issue.
Also using direct cables rather than adapters can help with issues. I use the chroma cables with good results.
steven wynen 6:31 PM - 26 July, 2019
ok finally did some serious testing (now with controller attached)

definitely something wrong with the new 2.2 + video
(also after the mojave update)

serious dropouts, only when serato video is in use
straight in de hdmi or via thunderbolt/hdmi dongle no difference

I will go back to 2.1.1 (and put the yuv handling back to 'software only)
and open a ticket with the support team

macbook pro 15 inch mid 2014
2,5 i7
16GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
500GB SSD
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 6:32 PM - 26 July, 2019
Good to know its not just me.
steven wynen 6:37 PM - 26 July, 2019
Quote:
Good to know its not just me.

I will reply here if I get an update from serato
Ozzy Castillo 1:55 PM - 27 July, 2019
Updated to 2.2 yesterday, been video mixing for years at a good 45-65 fps and yesterday after the update my MacBook would not work mixing videos. Red light would come on saying I’m maxed out on ram and my computer still had 6gbs free???
RICKY-SEKHON 5:24 AM - 29 July, 2019
steven wynen 1 can you help me....

I just bought the new 2019 quad core mbp but I'm having issues with my waves lagging a bit. I don't understand because non of my cpu bar or GPUs is a high use.

Quote:

a little tip, set the buffer size not to maximum what your computer can handle. as the waveform 'smoothness' is also updated, this eats some video power. (my serato screen setting is also set to 'high res screen display' for the retina display)

when set to 2, the waveforms are stuttering a bit. when set to 1, the waveforms are really smooth. and the video performance is still really good (left + right 150 buffered frames, 58 frames output, when using 720p video files)

also the 'yuv handling' can be set to 'default' again. I needed to set this to 'software only' in order to get serato video working with mac os moyave (serious frame dropping)
now set to 'default', working great, and the little blur is gone (what occurred when set to 'software only')

greeetz
DJ Tecniq 6:13 AM - 29 July, 2019
Quote:
macbook pro 15 inch mid 2014
2,5 i7
16GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
500GB SSD
I have the same laptop but can confirm I’ve had no video issues but I’m still on Sierra OS. Mojave didn’t interest me so i never updated. I did have video issues when i updated from Yosemite to High Sierra. I had extreme lag & video freezing. I figured the best idea was a clean install of the OS and it fixed everything. From now on i never update the OS it’s best to just start fresh esp when video cards are involved.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 1:43 PM - 29 July, 2019
Did not use video this weekend, kept buffer at 5MS and still waveforms were not smooth even though though had 4gb free ram and never went over 15% cpu usage.

Very strange.
steven wynen 3:28 PM - 29 July, 2019
thinks it's best to open a ticket right away.
if you use video, what helped for me was reducing the video memory buffer
serato replied to me to reduce the screen updates form 60 to 30, but that has no effect in my first tests.

Quote:

I just bought the new 2019 quad core mbp but I'm having issues with my waves lagging a bit. I don't understand because non of my cpu bar or GPUs is a high use.

Quote:

greeetz
steven wynen 3:30 PM - 29 July, 2019
I was talking about the video memory buffer within de serato video plugin...

Quote:
Did not use video this weekend, kept buffer at 5MS and still waveforms were not smooth even though though had 4gb free ram and never went over 15% cpu usage.

Very strange.
djcyph1 10:26 PM - 29 July, 2019
Quote:

Quote:

Very strange.

you guys both on 2.2? release notes saying the did major waveform improvements but either way, waveform lag has been an issue since the touchbar. It hasn't effected performance for me at all. check this link to help resolve it.

support.serato.com
steven wynen 6:25 PM - 30 July, 2019
yes 2.2 (this is also the name of this post on the forum)

yes waveforms are much much smoother in 2.2, but not anymore when using the video plugin

yes I know, stuttering waveforms don't affect audio or video performance
and is indeed not that important as other stuff

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Very strange.

you guys both on 2.2? release notes saying the did major waveform improvements but either way, waveform lag has been an issue since the touchbar. It hasn't effected performance for me at all. check this link to help resolve it.

support.serato.com
DJ Tecniq 7:01 PM - 30 July, 2019
Waveform has improved but not with Serato Video open. I went back to 2.05 where it’s much smoother. Tried 2.2 but was really jittery and blurry.
djcyph1 9:42 PM - 30 July, 2019
sorry forgot name of thread i was on lol

still havent live tested since slow season for me but ill report back when i get a chance in live setting!