DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Outdoor Event

XRayted 1:46 PM - 13 July, 2019
Hopefully I can get the information I need here. I am playing an outdoor event on the Coney Island Boardwalk in Brooklyn, NY. The following is the gear I am using for the event

2 EV ELX 115P (1,000 watts) I think this is peak
1 EV ELX200 15P (1,200 watts) I think this is peak also
2 QSC KSubs (2,000 watts) Definitely peak
1 Yorkville PS15S Subwoofer (1,000 watts) I believe this is peak also
1 Numark NS7II
1 Traktor Controller
2 MacBooks
1 microphone

I've been doing research and driving myself CRAZY trying to find out the power consumption of each piece of gear so I can determine which size generator I should get. I'm already aware about the pure sine thing and that the generator should be an inverter. But I've found a lot of conflicting info about the power consumption aspect. I have 2 generators I'm using. Both Honda. One is 2,200 watts. The other 2,000 watts. I believe the 2,200 watts is 25 amps and the 2,000 watts is 18.3 amps.

Here is the conflicting part: Some sites indicate that 1,000 watt speaker will use 8.3 amps. If that's the case, and all my speakers are at least 1,000 watts, then I'm gonna need a HUGE generator. But other sites have indicated that a 1,000 watt speaker will only use 2.0 amps or less if not used at peak power. Head is spinning over here. Can anyone help by giving me accurate info as to what size generator will be good? At the very least, can someone shed light as to how the power consumption aspect of each piece of equipment? Sorry for the long post. Appreciate y'all.
DJ Reflex 4:14 AM - 15 July, 2019
Solutions:
1) Look at the UL sticker/label near the power plug. It will tell you the max power draw for each item. The AC amperage/wattage has nothing to do with the wattage rating of the speaker. Those QSC subs only draw about 2 amps at full volume. You can theoretically run 8 of them comfortably on a single 15 amp (1800 watt) outlet.

2) Buy one of these: www.homedepot.com
For $20, you can measure all of this yourself. Best electrical investment you'll ever make!

As far as generators... Those numbers are pretty low - and also peak power ratings. Although they should work if not pushed too hard for long, you might want to consider renting a 5000 watt or higher generator. If you can't do that, then be sure to separate your electrical loads evenly between the two generators. Don't put all your heavy draw subs on one generator!
XRayted 10:15 PM - 16 July, 2019
Thank you for the information. From all the other blogs and threads I have read, your answers are consistent with those . I do have one more question. Even though the amperage draw for each speaker is a small amount, to start up each speaker I will need the equivalent wattage to get it started. For example, my tops are 1,000 watts peak power each and I’m using 3 so I’ll need at least 3,000 to turn them on and get the sound going. When continuously running the power consumption should decrease. That is my understanding. If the generators I am using do not provide sufficient wattage to turn them all on at once can I in theory start up each speaker individually instead of all at once and then still be able to use the generators at less than peak power?
577er 2:06 AM - 17 July, 2019
I can’t think of any reason any speaker would need to draw its maximum power draw as a result of turning it on. Am I misreading your question?
XRayted 2:58 AM - 17 July, 2019
@577er, that is my question exactly. May sound dumb but this is my first time doing an outdoor event. I was told that I would need a generator that can provide the total number of watts for the 6 speakers I'm using because they will draw a lot of power when I turn on the generator and the speakers. I'm using three tops. 2 at 1,000 watts each and 1 at 1,200 watts. I'm also using 3 subs. 1 at 1,000 watts (it's a smaller sub being used with one of the tops as monitors) and 2 more subs at 2,000 watts each. 3 controllers and 3 Macs and 1 mic. Keep in mind that that wattage I listed is peak wattage. Thoughts?
DJ Reflex 7:03 PM - 17 July, 2019
XRayted:

I think you're are massively confusing the speaker's claimed "output wattage" and it's actual electrical power draw form the outlet. These two numbers have little, if nothing, to do with each other.

The wattage rating for you're referring to is the amplifier's maximum power output to the actual speaker. This is also a measure of the amp's efficiency in part. The 1,000 watt rating is NOT the power draw from the electrical outlet.

Some quick math... P = A * V We'll start with volts (this is universal at 120 v - in North America). Now we throw in amps - The EZ ELX 115 draws 1.0 amps from the outlet. (This is shown on the back sticker near the power plug - see link.) www.electrovoice.com
We multiply to get 120 watts! That's all you need from your generator to run this speaker - at full volume. Two of them would only draw 240 watts. With your 2000 & 2200 watt generators, you'll have no issues with your speakers. I would keep each generator limited to 1800 watts of draw, just to be safe. Never use your generators at full capacity for extended time. Hope this helps.
DJ Reflex 7:05 PM - 17 July, 2019
If you can run all this gear off two outlets in your house (separate 15 amp circuits of course), then you will have plenty of power to run these off your generators.
577er 7:22 PM - 17 July, 2019
XRayted

Just as Reflex said this equipment will work with the two generators you have. There is no spike in power consumption when turning equipment on.
XRayted 9:41 PM - 17 July, 2019
DJ Reflex......577er.........thank you very much. You cats put my mind at ease. Appreciate y'all. Thank you again
XRayted 12:38 AM - 20 July, 2019
Fellas, one final thing. Do I need to keep the generators cool somehow? Perhaps keep them in a shaded area?
577er 3:16 AM - 20 July, 2019
in my experience no. More important is keeping any fumes from the generator away from inclosed areas and shutting the generator off if lighting is nearby.
DJ Reflex 5:48 AM - 21 July, 2019
Also, never shut off a generator while your equipment is plugged in. Always power down your gear first, then the generator.