DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

1.9.1 = FAIL

J H 7:38 AM - 27 July, 2009
Well, I thought 1.9.1 FINAL was a bit buggy out the gate the first time I unloaded a track and the "key" information in the corresponding deck failed to unload as well (no track loaded but still displaying the key of the previously loaded track in bright color).

It gets worse...tonight, at a gig, it froze up upon loading a track the same way the 1.9.1 RC2 beta did to me while testing it. The loaded track kept playing, but the GUI was completely frozen and Serato was completely unresponsive, forcing a manual powerdown (the Task Manager couldn't force Serato to shut down, even after multiple tries).

I managed to quickly re-boot, and re-install 1.8.3, and had no further issues.

However, my faith in these 1.9.0 and higher releases is at about zero. After two years of running Serato and not having a single issue up to version 1.8.3, I just can't trust these new releases. I run a PC with 3GB of memory and a 1.66 GHZ Core 2 Duo processor (windows XP, clean install, NO other programs other than Serato installed, and NO internet usage), so its not my computer specs causing any of this.

I tend to think these releases are being rushed out at this point, at the expense of program stability. Given that this software has made its name on being rock solid stable, perhaps you good folks at Serato might give more thought to the damage to your reputation that is going to be caused by rushing out unstable update versions with, IMHO, unneeded bells and whistles (specifically, the SP-6 sampler).

I just wish 1.8.3 had the same "History" function as 1.9 and higher do. Then I'd be content to just park my updating at 1.8.3 and fugehdaboutit.
DJWALDO 8:18 AM - 27 July, 2009
i run a mac... the 2 guys around where i am that do as many gigs a week as i do run pc's.... none of us have had an issue.... do a search for 1.9.1 and you will see this was brought a few days ago and already there are a lot of suggestions on thing to do so help with load times, track loading, the whole nine.... the release obviously isn't a "fail" as i play 4 to 5 nights a week yet to have an issue and so have many others....
DjWoody 8:21 AM - 27 July, 2009
That's why it's a good idea to keep a stable previous version of Scratch Live installed at all times. I know I have every stable version from 1.8.3 to the curren 1.9.1 on my Mac.
DJWALDO 8:28 AM - 27 July, 2009
oh and i have often opened up "spaces" and ran downloads for tracks i don't have on the fly, internet browser to check my email and still not one single issue.....
WarpNote 8:42 AM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
I just wish 1.8.3 had the same "History" function as 1.9 and higher do. Then I'd be content to just park my updating at 1.8.3 and fugehdaboutit.

Have a look at 1.8.4
nik39 8:49 AM - 27 July, 2009
Using 1.8.4 is not recommended!
J H 8:57 AM - 27 July, 2009
When you've used every version between 1.7.2 and 1.8.3 for hundreds of hours with NO problems, but have seen a plethora of issues with both 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 on the exact same computers in a relatively short period of time (April 2009 to the present), I think its quite safe to say 1.9.1 is a fail compared to earlier versions.

The volume of complaints against versions 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 pretty much speak for themselves. Also, all the little bugs (like the color dot sorting issue and the key issue I described above) never seemed to make it into past "final" versions. Now these version seem to be released on some type of forced schedule that ends up in imperfect versions being put into circulation and called "stable". I disagree with that assertion.

Update at your own risk, I say. ;)
WarpNote 9:11 AM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
Using 1.8.4 is not recommended!

really? why?
nik39 9:21 AM - 27 July, 2009
B/c it was never released officially and therefor not widely tested.
DJWALDO 9:24 AM - 27 July, 2009
.... ehh to each is own I play live 20 hours a week.... at this point with the complaints that i hear it seems to me that the more intensive versions of ssl are crashing on people which tells me that plain and simple the machine running the program can not handle it any longer so simply don't upgrade or step up your computer.... could simply be the older 1.66 ghz processor... i had a toshiba a while back with 2 gigs of ram a 160 gig drive windows 2000 with only operating programs and after 5 months it wouldn't even run torque... machine was bought in 02 used until 07 so i had to finally give in when i realized there wasn't enough ram in the world to make up for an obsolete processor with these new software programs.... after all rane states minimum on a pc is a 1.5 processor.... so at 1.66 its should barely run at all....
nik39 9:25 AM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
after all rane states minimum on a pc is a 1.5 processor.... so at 1.66 its should barely run at all....

Ehh... what?
DJWALDO 9:30 AM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
after all rane states minimum on a pc is a 1.5 processor.... so at 1.66 its should barely run at all....

Ehh... what?

ehhh minimum system requirements.... they have those for a reason.... it generally means that if you are operating with barely enough for what is stated the program needs to run you might have a problem or two....
nik39 9:33 AM - 27 July, 2009
Ah thank you. Now we know the whole story and the reasons for all the crashes.

We need to buy a new computer.
DJWALDO 9:45 AM - 27 July, 2009
well sorry to say but i have yet to see a problem or anyone i personally know have a problem.... all running new machines all with the 1.9.1...... it's either the operator or the machine.... if plenty of people are running this with 0 problems what so ever and plenty of people are running it with every problem known to man what does that tell you? it is the same program. so if it works for some and not for others then simply put... it is something wrong with the set up in which the people that are having the issues.... complain all you want, bitch all you want, get shitty when someone points out that the min is a 1.5 ghz processor and the person doing the complaining has a 1.66.... still is not going to change the fact that this macbook pro osx 10.5.7 2.4 ghz intel core duo with 2 gigs of ram has yet to fail or take longer than 10 seconds to load.....
J H 10:15 AM - 27 July, 2009
Waldo,

I suppose its possible that I could be wrong here , but given that I can adequately run Serato on a SINGLE core Pentium D 1.8 ghz processor, the 1.5 ghz minimum spec refers to a SINGLE core processor running at 1.5 ghz or above.

A dual core processor has exactly that...two processors, in this case both running at 1.66 ghz. That delivers an effective 3.32 ghz of processing power. Way, way, way above minimum spec. With two decks playing, and using a TTM57 (which pulls a bit more processing power than the SL1), I'm using like 12 to 15% of my available processing power, and a bit over a gig of memory. I think I'm "good" on both memory and processing power. The issue lies elsewhere.
WarpNote 10:17 AM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
B/c it was never released officially and therefor not widely tested.

Hm ok, thanks, updated to 1.9.1 then...
nik39 10:19 AM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
if plenty of people are running this with 0 problems what so ever and plenty of people are running it with every problem known to man what does that tell you?

I know a bit about programming, and what you said does not mean or indicate anything. It could still be the program code affecting a small percentage. But saying that it has to do with underpowered computer config's is a bit far fetched.

Quote:
complain all you want, bitch all you want, get shitty when someone points out that the min is a 1.5 ghz processor and the person doing the complaining has a 1.66..

Eh...

... forget it.
Rebelguy 3:34 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
That delivers an effective 3.32 ghz of processing power. Way, way, way above minimum spec.

Actually it doesn't mean that. It means you have two separate cores running at 1.66 that can run different separate tasks at this speed. My desktop is a Mac Pro running two quad core 3.2 processors. By your logic that would mean I am getting 25.6 ghz of processor power.
nik39 3:35 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
two quad core 3.2 processors.

WTF!
BattleFunk 3:41 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

WTF!

he must be trying to run traktor as well
nik39 3:44 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
he must be trying to run traktor well

Fixed. ;)
dj shadow from detroit 3:51 PM - 27 July, 2009
lol
BattleFunk 3:56 PM - 27 July, 2009
|:¬þ
Polanka 4:31 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
Well, I thought 1.9.1 FINAL was a bit buggy out the gate the first time I unloaded a track and the "key" information in the corresponding deck failed to unload as well (no track loaded but still displaying the key of the previously loaded track in bright color).

It gets worse...tonight, at a gig, it froze up upon loading a track the same way the 1.9.1 RC2 beta did to me while testing it. The loaded track kept playing, but the GUI was completely frozen and Serato was completely unresponsive, forcing a manual powerdown (the Task Manager couldn't force Serato to shut down, even after multiple tries).

However, my faith in these 1.9.0 and higher releases is at about zero. After two years of running Serato and not having a single issue up to version 1.8.3, I just can't trust these new releases. I run a PC with 3GB of memory and a 1.66 GHZ Core 2 Duo processor (windows XP, clean install, NO other programs other than Serato installed, and NO internet usage), so its not my computer specs causing any of this.

I tend to think these releases are being rushed out at this point, at the expense of program stability. Given that this software has made its name on being rock solid stable, perhaps you good folks at Serato might give more thought to the damage to your reputation that is going to be caused by rushing out unstable update versions with, IMHO, unneeded bells and whistles (specifically, the SP-6 sampler).

+1
Jesus Christ 4:40 PM - 27 July, 2009
WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quit your crying. You want professional software to work perfectly, but you buy the cheapest door-buster black friday laptop you can get your hands on? GTFO!!!

My suggestion, start carrying record crates again.
Rebelguy 4:51 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

WTF!

I got a hell of a deal on it. Couldn't pass it up.
DJWALDO 5:55 PM - 27 July, 2009
its actually 2 2.93 ghz quad cores optional on the mac pro.... (not the laptop)
Rebelguy 6:21 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
its actually 2 2.93 ghz quad cores optional on the mac pro.... (not the laptop)[/quote

Not sure if you are responding to me but on the current Mac Pros it is 2.93. On the last gen they went up to 3.2.
Rebelguy 6:22 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
its actually 2 2.93 ghz quad cores optional on the mac pro.... (not the laptop)

Not sure if you are responding to me but on the current Mac Pros it is 2.93. On the last gen they went up to 3.2.
J H 6:22 PM - 27 July, 2009
Jesus,

I do sincerely apologize for not having the most powerful processor currently available, but when I purchased that laptop 3 years ago, it certainly wasn't anywhere close to a door-busting black friday laptop.

I'd be happy to spend money on a new computer if it were necessary, as its obviously important to me not to have crashes. However, I simply don't see lack of processing power as being the related to the problem.

The tracks that crashed Serato out all had overviews previously built, and the computer you're hating on has never experienced a Serato hiccup (let alone a full on crash) hundreds of hours of successful use.

If I'm not mistaken, the posted minimum specs for running Serato haven't been changed on the download page since the release of 1.9.0 (which, in its defense, and despite all its buggy waveform behavior, never crashed the way 1.9.1 has). If 1.9.1 is crashing due to processor issues (ie it uses significantly more processing power than 1.8.3), shouldn't the posted minimum specs reflect this?

Following that statement, it seems logical that if the required specs haven't changed (and I'd agree that they haven't based on looking at how much processing power is being pulled in the Task Manager performance window - there is really no difference between 1.8.3 and 1.9.1), then this is a software, not a hardware issue.
Jesus Christ 8:21 PM - 27 July, 2009
Maybe it's the fact that the programmers at Serato have to account for every possible hardware combination on the PC platform (video card, sound card, processor, motherboard, etc) and only a few specific sets of combos on the Apple platform.

Professional equipment for professional people. Why don't people get it???

I am a professional DJ. I use professional equipment.
Dj Bert 8:30 PM - 27 July, 2009
buy a mac.

THREAD LOCKED.
nik39 8:56 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
buy a mac.

BRAIN LOCKED.

I see.
DJ Super Mario 9:30 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:

I do sincerely apologize for not having the most powerful processor currently available, but when I purchased that laptop 3 years ago, it certainly wasn't anywhere close to a door-busting black friday laptop.

Sorry to say... but 3 years is a long time in terms of computer equipment lifespan. Not to mention the fact that within those 3 years Serato code has changed significantly I'm sure...
Jesus Christ 9:56 PM - 27 July, 2009
My PowerBook Pro is over 3 years old. Cored2Duo 2.16 GHz with 2 GB Ram. Never had Scratch LIVE crash on me. EVER!
DJ Super Mario 10:00 PM - 27 July, 2009
But it's a Mac... they tend to age much more gracefully than PCs do... ;)
sixxx 10:01 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
But it's a Mac... they tend to age much more gracefully than PCs do... ;)

I agree with that. My PowerPC G5 (desktop) is still a work horse. I bought it 6 years ago. (If my memory serves me right)
nik39 10:05 PM - 27 July, 2009
Geez... shut up you fanboys ;) I have this PC, more than four years old and it runs SSL perfectly. :)
sixxx 10:14 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
Geez... shut up you fanboys ;) I have this PC, more than four years old and it runs SSL perfectly. :)

I still use my Atari. Shut up nik. :)
DJWALDO 10:15 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:

every once in a while the sun shines on a dogs ass :)
Jesus Christ 10:20 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Jimmy Styx 10:27 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:

I agreee, its too adavanced for my mac and seems to take up A LOT of memory. Im downgrading.
sixxx 10:28 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

every once in a while the sun shines on a dogs ass :)

lol
sixxx 10:28 PM - 27 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

lol
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:32 PM - 27 July, 2009
J H,

I hope you've reported your issues to the Rane and Serato support teams via an online Help Request. The majority of people using 1.9.1 are finding it very stable so it's possible there are issues with your particular setup.

If you haven't already done, you can make a new Help Request here serato.com or here scratchlive.net.
DJ Super Mario 10:46 PM - 27 July, 2009
Nik,

I'm far from a fan boy actually... I work full time as a Network/Systems Engineer and have had plenty of experience on many different platforms, and I'm sure you're far from a noob as far as knowing your way around a PC goes... with that said you'll have to admit that for the novice computer user, if you hand him a Mac and a PC out of the box, there's a pretty good chance he'll be more successful running Serato in a more stable fashion on the Mac.

It's just more stable out the gate... power users may be able to get their PC's to that same point of flawless performance, but many DJ's aren't power users.
djchrischip 10:48 PM - 27 July, 2009
i had a usb dropout on a mac this week
Serato
James 12:16 AM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
J H,

I hope you've reported your issues to the Rane and Serato support teams via an online Help Request. The majority of people using 1.9.1 are finding it very stable so it's possible there are issues with your particular setup.

If you haven't already done, you can make a new Help Request here serato.com or here scratchlive.net.
There are obviously a few individuals who are having problems with 1.9 and we'd like to solve those problems.

I hope you guys realize that making a help request is the best way to get your issues onto the development team's radar for the next version...

Our number one priority is still stability and performance, so the more information and help we can get from you guys the easier we can make it better.
J H 12:50 AM - 28 July, 2009
I'm not claiming to be a computer wizard, but I'm fairly knowledgeable and I believe my setup is as clean as can be...I installed my OS from a clean XP copy with no pre-installed bloatware. All my drivers are correct and up-to-date (chipset on down to my never-used wireless card), and even my BIOS has been flashed with the most up-to-date version available. I have no other software installed besides Serato and the Windows XP stock components. The suggested "Background Services" tweak has been set on my PC as well. And yes, after monitoring both memory/ processor usage, I see no issue with lack of either.

Jesus is correct - PCs are all configured differently from different manufacturers, with different hardware configurations (and different drivers to make them all go). However, if a new version doesn't play nice with certain hardware configurations/ drivers, while all previous versions did play nice, its a developmental step backwards.
Billy18bm 12:51 AM - 28 July, 2009
its the processor.. all im gonna say...
frost-9 1:02 AM - 28 July, 2009
J H,

Can you please do your bitching & crying in the help section?

Thank you,

-People that didn't buy their laptops off craigslist
Billy18bm 1:36 AM - 28 July, 2009
Lmao
al83 8:07 AM - 28 July, 2009
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the HELP area? Having a '1.9.1 = FAIL' thread in a general dj discussion area isn't going to encourage many people to use an otherwise very stable (and best yet IMO) release.
nik39 8:16 AM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
with that said you'll have to admit that for the novice computer user, if you hand him a Mac and a PC out of the box, there's a pretty good chance he'll be more successful running Serato in a more stable fashion on the Mac.

*sigh*

Both are equally stable. I've seen experts crying on a Mac, I have seen noobs crying on a Mac, same goes for PC's.

SSL runs very stable on *both* platforms. Saying SSL runs better on old Macs than on old PCs is just pure speculation and is not backed up by facts. I have even 6 years old PC's where SSL runs without hiccups.

Now... the table turns once we speak about VSL :)
al83 9:40 AM - 28 July, 2009
^^ Yeah true, will be interesting to see how Windows 7 fares. Anyone using it for gigs?

I used to play with a Vaio but then caved in and bought a Macbook Pro, and although both systems worked very well, I just feel safer playing with a Mac, silly but true.
frost-9 10:02 AM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
^^ Yeah true, will be interesting to see how Windows 7 fares. Anyone using it for gigs?

I used to play with a Vaio but then caved in and bought a Macbook Pro, and although both systems worked very well, I just feel safer playing with a Mac, silly but true.

Silly indeed ;) 10 years ago, people wouldn't be caught dead with those POS iMac's.. now everyone wants an expansion bay that allows for intercourse with their overpriced laptops. If Tractor is the microwave software of the DJ world, OS X is the microwave OS of the computer world, hands down, barring any knowledge on how to use the command shell of course (I'm not talking to the 3 of you on the entire forum that actually know how to operate inside a UNIX style filesystem).. Like nik said, both platforms run SSL and are equally stable in doing so, so Mac preachers need to STFU in general and buy some turtle wax for those shiny white cases you cult members are all so fond of. (not referring solely to the above poster, just speaking in general)
WarpNote 10:38 AM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
(I'm not talking to the 3 of you on the entire forum that actually know how to operate inside a UNIX style filesystem)

I get your point, however, I believe there's more than 3 of us here capable of running command lines ;-) (both DOS shell & Unix terminal)....

But yeah, I ran SSL under XP (dell mobile workstation) for about 1,5 year, then switched for OSX (Macbook Pro). They both work well. Its all down to preference, but I do have less issues now.... If you consider "microwave dj's" the ones less technically inclined, and using a stable operation system, then so be it... ;-)
This is turning into the o-so-old-and-tiresome OS war, sigh...

Bottom line, use whatever works for you, if you're having problems, try another computer, see if it helps. If there's no difference, don't upgrade...

Realtime applications like SSL will always need a little juice, low spec's will eventually pull you down. When investing in a pricey system like SSL, it only makes sense having a farily specced machine, no?

I consider fairly specced = dual core 2ghz, 2 gb ram or better..
eder 10:58 AM - 28 July, 2009
PC laptops age in dog years.

your 3-year-old PC is comparable to a 21-year-old Mac.
G_illn 11:28 AM - 28 July, 2009
well i just started using 1.9.1. i was loading files straight from import to a new crate and it froze. but it did not require for me to reboot. i just closed it and re opened. have yet to have another problem. i am using a pretty powerful and new hp.
RULE OF THUMB FOR SERATO, MACS DO IT BETTER.
G_illn 11:30 AM - 28 July, 2009
p.s. i know i use a pc , but i know a guy who uses a g4 mac, and has never even had a usb dropout, and his memory on the internal hd is almost full. uses all the time, have yet to see one problem, he runs 1.8.4
Logisticalstyles 1:11 PM - 28 July, 2009
Wow yet another thread ruined by the PC Mac debate.

How original.
WarpNote 2:39 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
...but i know a guy who uses a g4 mac, and has never even had a usb dropout, and his memory on the internal hd is almost full. uses all the time, have yet to see one problem, he runs 1.8.4

I tried to install 1.9.1 on my girlfriend's old iBook G4, needless to say, it doesn't fly...
Probably have a go with 1.8.3 just to try it, but don't think I wouldn't trust it for gigs ;-)
nik39 3:44 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:

lol
Jesus Christ 5:55 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:

AHAHAHAHA!!!
frost-9 9:21 PM - 28 July, 2009
whoever thinks macs age gracefully is suffering from some severe delusions of grandeur. Case in point.. try running OS X on a 500 Mhz Mac.. and do the same with a 500 Mhz PC. Oh yeah. PowerPC architecture sucked, so you needed to switch it up to Intel. It's amazing how you lie to yourselves without knowing wtf you're buying.
Jesus Christ 9:29 PM - 28 July, 2009
500MHz Mac? Who has a 500 MHz Mac any more? You're so 2001!
eder 9:31 PM - 28 July, 2009
it was a joke homie.

BTW the last time I used a 500MHz computer, I was 12.

New case in point: Serato won't run on either of those dinosaurs.
frost-9 9:32 PM - 28 July, 2009
the last mac I owned was 500 Mhz. It sucked. Hard.
sixxx 9:34 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
...but i know a guy who uses a g4 mac, and has never even had a usb dropout, and his memory on the internal hd is almost full. uses all the time, have yet to see one problem, he runs 1.8.4

I tried to install 1.9.1 on my girlfriend's old iBook G4, needless to say, it doesn't fly...
Probably have a go with 1.8.3 just to try it, but don't think I wouldn't trust it for gigs ;-)

Yeah. I stopped using my old iBook G4 around 1.8 too. It was getting too intensive for that.... but boy did I have some awesome gigs with it. :) That was the first one I bought when I got SSL in 2005?
nik39 9:35 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
it was a joke homie.

BTW the last time I used a 500MHz computer, I was 12.

Quote:
Yeah SSL worked okay on a P2 at 300MHz (but only at high USB buffersizes and low GUI refresh rates), it was not really fun working with it, and I think it would be a pain with such a slow PC building overviews. It was to proove how much resources SSL needs. This test has been done with 1.4 IIRC and I dont know how much additional (if...) CPU power 1.5 needs. On the other hand if you want good performance, the best out of SSL even the fastes Mac PowerPCs dont offer you enough, the GUI is sluggish compared to a up-to-date PC laptop. This will definitly change now Apple uses Intel CPUs.

1.4 ran ok on 300MhZ (!) PC.
sixxx 9:36 PM - 28 July, 2009
My 1.6GHz tower PowerPC G5 is still working great. I use it to encode videos (slowly but surely) and I have ProTools on it. My Macbook is obviously faster but not bad for having it bought in 2003? I could be wrong on that year btw.
Polanka 2:54 PM - 29 July, 2009
I might end up buying a Mac just to see how it runs serato.
dj shadow from detroit 6:00 PM - 29 July, 2009
save the money and get a nice dell for under $700 and do the tweaks.

or buy a macbook for $900 - for a pro $3,000 and dont do the tweaks.

if your doing video then look into a macbook pro.
C. William 9:20 PM - 29 July, 2009
I'd recommend getting a macbook pro. If you're strapped for cash get the 13" version.

I have an '08 white macbook and it just works.

I just bought and immediately sold a Dell XPS for use in my home studio. I'm not going to go into it here but it's safe to say I won't be looking at purchasing a Dell ever again.
balistikgelhed 9:35 PM - 29 July, 2009
I run serato on this
www.governmentauctions.org
BriChi 12:31 AM - 30 July, 2009
Quote:

or buy a macbook for $900 - for a pro $3,000 and dont do the tweaks.

if your doing video then look into a macbook pro.

you can get a great 13" macbook pro for $1500 or 15 inch for $1700 from the Apple store and it will run video perfectly, It's the same one I use at least 3 times a week to DJ
Dj Shamann 7:58 PM - 30 July, 2009
Quote:

RULE OF THUMB FOR SERATO, MACS DO IT BETTER.

Bullshit, my partner has a recent Macbook pro, the big silver wide screen "hey look at me" version, never goes on the net with it and the thing is a POS when it comes to running Serato and externals.

We plugged in the loaner Dell that I'm typing from right now, the one that is 3 1/2 years old, duo core 1.7, 1gb RAM... the one that I watch porn on, surf questionable sites and gig 6 hours a night on. and all around treat like an unwanted step child. Hooked it up to THREE externals, load time was under a minute, no drop outs, no freezes nada.

The one I was using before that, has an actual physical crack in it, I can take two hands and bend it so that the two pieces go up and down, the screen is so loose it's falling off, I beat the living shit out of that laptop on tour, which was an Acer (hardly more than a blowout sale PC), it's 3 years old and STILL to this day never had a problem with Serato, no crashing, no dropouts, nada. The only reason I'm not using it for my gig tonight, it has two big light streams running down the display and sometimes flickers, i can get it to look normal by physically shaking the screen (which still doesn't effect it's regular performance) but I got tired of that and got this loaner.

I've seen just as many "Help, my Mac won't run" threads in help as i do for PC's. The only difference is, because Mac users are so proud that "it just works" they're completely clueless to what to do if even the most minor problem happens.
DeezNotes 8:11 PM - 30 July, 2009
Quote:
the big silver wide screen "hey look at me" version

lol
BriChi 9:03 PM - 30 July, 2009
what problems was your partner having that you claim it is now a POS. It sounds like you guys may fall under your own category of

Quote:
they're completely clueless to what to do if even the most minor problem happens.

LOL
mastermind 9:21 PM - 30 July, 2009
Quote:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quit your crying. You want professional software to work perfectly, but you buy the cheapest door-buster black friday laptop you can get your hands on? GTFO!!!

My suggestion, start carrying record crates again.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
DJ Super Mario 9:27 PM - 30 July, 2009
Hrmmm... I use one of those "Look at me" 17" MacBook Pros and use it for EVERYTHING!!! and have NEVER had a single problem ever...
djdragon 9:39 PM - 30 July, 2009
Hello horse, meet flog.
mastermind 9:39 PM - 30 July, 2009
my "LOOK AT ME" 17 mbp s638.photobucket.com
DJWALDO 12:13 AM - 31 July, 2009
i'll keep my look at me mbp as well..... cause i really don't care if you look at me... if you are in one of my residencies all i care is that you hear me....
Dj Shamann 5:03 AM - 31 July, 2009
Quote:
what problems was your partner having that you claim it is now a POS. It sounds like you guys may fall under your own category of

Quote:
they're completely clueless to what to do if even the most minor problem happens.

LOL

LOL, I know what to do with computers when something goes wrong which is why i don't have problems and can plug in the biggest piece of shit PC and not worry about it. If you think my friend was going to let me fiddle with his super awesome better than a PC Mac to get it going you're mistaken, if you think I was going to pass up an opportunity to plug in an inferior PC and shut a Mac user up dead in his tracks you're a damn fool

;p

My solution, here friend, let me show you that hype you bought into is bull-shit. Watch this 3 1/2 year old Dell smash that myth to pieces.

And LOL at "the problem you 'claim' ". Condescend much?

Even if I didn't know a damn thing about them, the point is it still didn't "just work" like all the Mac fanboys "claim"
ryansupak 5:33 AM - 31 July, 2009
Unrelated thought: arguing on the internet is a tragic waste of time -- especially in a forum with as low an average "IQ" as this one.

The newest SSL is more buggy (and seemingly more processor-intensive though this may just be unrefined coding) than the last several official releases, though "fail" is going a bit far.

I'm still actively using it though, and with little worry.
rs
Dj Shamann 6:25 AM - 31 July, 2009
Quote:
Hrmmm... I use one of those "Look at me" 17" MacBook Pros and use it for EVERYTHING!!! and have NEVER had a single problem ever...

And now they're getting defensive, awesome. How many comments does it take to get a group of mac users up in arms? (Just fucking around ;p)

I never said all Macs have problems, I use them in the studio, I'm just saying that they're not as impervious as most would have you believe. The first thing the fanboy Mac user does is sum it all up to just being a PC. No matter what the problem is, it's "that's what happens with PC's...glad I bought a Mac". Because to them "it just works" like it was made from a golden unicorns horn, nothing could be more perfect then they're machine, and the only reason is. (besides not feeling like an idiot for paying that price tag on a machine they know nothing about except for "it just works").. they haven't been around enough machines. I never even owned a computer until i was 24, now I build them as a hobby. And over those few years I've seen issues on both sides of the fence.

And speaking of building as a hobby, I'm hyped about a G4 that my buddy is giving me to do up and use in the studio as a spare, so that should tell you I'm not dead set against the brand.

Quote:
Unrelated thought: arguing on the internet is a tragic waste of time -- especially in a forum with as low an average "IQ" as this one.

I don't think anybody's "arguing" here, I'm certainly not invested enough to get heated about it, and I never took the others comments as argument either and I doubt they're heated. Just a dicussion, we disagree, but then again I think some people have misconstrued what I said as having a stance that PC's are better than Macs which is not the case. I'm saying depending on who's at the helm, either platform is open to problems. I've worked in ALL Mac building where there were nothing but issues, and me as a novice Mac user at the time, was solving what should have been minor issues for people that had been on Macs for years. But as I said a lot of the times people who live under the "Mac's just work" shelter are gonna get rained on like a motherfucker when it starts to crack, only difference is they never learned to fix it because they thought it could never happen. Me? I'm gonna stay nice and dry, sipping a beer.

As for wasting time, I just finished playing out, I'm home and winding down, gotta kill time somehow.

;p
Dj Shamann 6:27 AM - 31 July, 2009
Dammit *nothing is more important than their machine*
Dj Shamann 6:28 AM - 31 July, 2009
Dammit again not important, "perfect". Fucking up my own edits, I need to quit before I'm in here all night

;p
BriChi 12:02 PM - 31 July, 2009
Yo Dj Shamann, I'm just playin around man. I don't argue on forums, just try and help people out and joke around when we can to take a break from work. Don't take my comment seriously. I work in I.T., been doing it for over 15 years so I am very familiar with pcs and macs, I just prefer my MacBook live on gigs. It's all about " what works best for you", that's it
Dj Shamann 6:15 PM - 31 July, 2009
Yeah no worries man, I don't take any of this to heart. The whole PC vs. Mac thing makes me laugh at times because some of the surrounding myths are a bit naive.
BriChi 9:04 PM - 31 July, 2009
exactly, the whole war is very played out
DJ C.ZAR 8:17 PM - 3 August, 2009
i just bought a sl3 and i'm using scratch live 1.9.1 .i've experienced "bugs" when i move through crates and itunes playlists and sometimes drops out when i use the instant double.
i have a mac book 13 .what it could be?
sixxx 8:25 PM - 3 August, 2009
C.ZAR.... where is your buffer setting at? Try moving it to +5
dj shadow from detroit 8:51 PM - 3 August, 2009
1.9.1 is buggy for me.

this is the only version since 1.5 that has been bad for me.

drop outs.

with mac and pc both above specs.

im going back to 1.8
djchrischip 9:06 PM - 3 August, 2009
shadow please let us kno if it helps
djdannyd 10:22 PM - 3 August, 2009
isn't there a "help" section somewhere?
dj shadow from detroit 5:02 AM - 4 August, 2009
this is my opinion.i know there people that probably run 1.9.1 serato flawless with mac and pc.

i dont like 1.9.1 mac or pc.i get dopouts on my macbook.when going back to 1.8 no problems.

just have to test out what works best for you.
frost-9 5:32 AM - 4 August, 2009
^^^ wise man.