Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

New AMD Ryzen CPU

DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 12:37 PM - 18 June, 2019
Anyone try using Serato for Windows on the new AMD Ryzen Pro chips, they ship with Vega 10 GPU's which blow anything intel out the water.

2011 Macbook just took a dive and before I walk into the Apple Store or look for a used 2014-2015 model I am trying to see if it is not worth it to go back to Windows or not.

Thanks for the feedback
Kevin
mixgoonie 1:12 PM - 18 June, 2019
Both are really fine, especially because they do have nearly the same hardware peaces. So it is more a question of what you like ;)

But unfortunately, the latest Mac books are just so EXPENSIVE... :(
deejdave 10:41 PM - 18 June, 2019
I would wait for a more real world answer being AMD processors are not even supported by Serato. The above sounds like an assumption based on specs and does not seem to factor what we know as Serato users which is the fact that AMD & Serato have historically not mixed. Not to say this is religion but again I would wait to see some actual feedback.
Hanginon 12:37 PM - 19 June, 2019
Quote:
I would wait for a more real world answer being AMD processors are not even supported by Serato. The above sounds like an assumption based on specs and does not seem to factor what we know as Serato users which is the fact that AMD & Serato have historically not mixed. Not to say this is religion but again I would wait to see some actual feedback.

Can't get feedback without someone actually being first!
tb0ne 2:00 PM - 14 August, 2019
I'm running Serato on an Asus S15 (Win10) with a Ryzen 5 mobile processor. No issues whatsoever.
Glenn Ghoul 7:35 PM - 14 August, 2019
Uh Oh!

Quote:
nearly the same hardware

When you're buying the Mac you're after the OS, the Serato experience is better on a Mac. Full stop. We all have them, we all use them. If you run into an issue, someone else has your computer and can probably help you out - the network effect of a million people having the same computer is somewhat underappreciated.

When your Dell xp347nghntU takes a dump, you can post here, and the advice will be “get a mac”.

Win 10 + Serato is giving random people all kinds of grief, Win 7 has only a few more months before it's end-of-lifed. This is not a great situation.

Also, per Geekbench, that Ryzen doesn’t even blow the newest low-spec MacBook pro out of the water.

browser.geekbench.com

browser.geekbench.com

That macbook is $1300 (unless you’re in Canada), and probably the best price/performance deal they’ve had since the OG white MacBook. A high-end Macbook would make that Ryzen cry blood. BTW- the 2014/15 also beats it.

tb0ne might be happy, but if you’re used to a mac there’s no reason to not stay on one. OP’s computer was 8+ years old and (presumably) still worked when it did, that’s a great goddamn run.

Anyone out there running Serato on a windows laptop from 2011? Does anyone recommend a 5-year-old windows laptop as the ideal DJing hardware?

I wouldn’t roll the dice, we’ll all end up on those new MacBooks eventually. They’re still better than the alternative.
DJ Tecniq 7:42 PM - 14 August, 2019
There is a reason why almost every pro dj in the world uses a Mac...it’s not because of the look😉
Glenn Ghoul 7:55 PM - 14 August, 2019
Ha! Even Tecniq agrees!

Now, I feel like I’ve accomplished something.
DJ Tecniq 8:15 PM - 14 August, 2019
Quote:
Ha! Even Tecniq agrees!

Now, I feel like I’ve accomplished something.
Just stating facts🤣
tb0ne 9:53 PM - 14 August, 2019
T2 macbook audio glitch... google it...
Every piece of hardware potentially has issues.
Serato is quite likely developed and tested more heavily on osx so maybe the safer choice but for those that want more bang for buck there’s better options.
I’m happy with how the AMD machine performs and just want to confirm that it runs Serato just fine.
DJ BernieB (Toronto) 10:21 PM - 14 August, 2019
Quote:
Uh Oh!

Quote:
nearly the same hardware

When you're buying the Mac you're after the OS, the Serato experience is better on a Mac. Full stop. We all have them, we all use them. If you run into an issue, someone else has your computer and can probably help you out - the network effect of a million people having the same computer is somewhat underappreciated.

When your Dell xp347nghntU takes a dump, you can post here, and the advice will be “get a mac”.

Win 10 + Serato is giving random people all kinds of grief, Win 7 has only a few more months before it's end-of-lifed. This is not a great situation.

Also, per Geekbench, that Ryzen doesn’t even blow the newest low-spec MacBook pro out of the water.

browser.geekbench.com

browser.geekbench.com

That macbook is $1300 (unless you’re in Canada), and probably the best price/performance deal they’ve had since the OG white MacBook. A high-end Macbook would make that Ryzen cry blood. BTW- the 2014/15 also beats it.

tb0ne might be happy, but if you’re used to a mac there’s no reason to not stay on one. OP’s computer was 8+ years old and (presumably) still worked when it did, that’s a great goddamn run.

Anyone out there running Serato on a windows laptop from 2011? Does anyone recommend a 5-year-old windows laptop as the ideal DJing hardware?

I wouldn’t roll the dice, we’ll all end up on those new MacBooks eventually. They’re still better than the alternative.

Very well written and very good points! I don’t think it could have been said any better, especially the forum part about “get a Mac” and the Mac OS experience.
deejdave 10:27 PM - 14 August, 2019
Quote:
T2 macbook audio glitch... google it...
Every piece of hardware potentially has issues.
Serato is quite likely developed and tested more heavily on osx so maybe the safer choice but for those that want more bang for buck there’s better options.
I’m happy with how the AMD machine performs and just want to confirm that it runs Serato just fine.

AMD & Serato.................. google THAT
DJ Tecniq 10:31 PM - 14 August, 2019
Quote:
Bad combination😬
popnwave 10:49 PM - 14 August, 2019
Quote:

Cmon, I thought you were better than that...

Quote:

NOTE: Most of these issues do not appear to affect modern AMD CPU series, such as Ryzen.

support.serato.com
Glenn Ghoul 11:36 PM - 14 August, 2019
Quote:
Very well written and very good points!

Thanks BernieB! I’m just working my way through these confusing times same as anyone. Trying to keep my people from turning to the dark side.

Honestly, this is all about me needing to borrow ya’lls chargers. I forgot mine, never happens. (RIP magsafe)

Quote:

Cheers on ya! If it bangs for a buck, I’m all for it. It’s all the same once it’s coming through the speakers. Just take your charger with you when you unplug.

Mac’s aren’t without their problems either (see: flaming batteries)

The T2 bug is a headache for anyone who has to deal with it, but I think I remember Serato issued a fix pretty quickly, considering the source… what other user group gets that kind of priority?

And Isn’t that AMD thing issue STILL an issue? This sort of reinforces my point.
deejdave 11:45 PM - 14 August, 2019
Point remains that just because Google says something................... FTR the rock solid Serato/Mac relationship is pre T2 anyways. As for the T2 issues pertaining to Serato (and its HW) directly it seems hit or miss but not so defined enough to blame the T2 chip. As for AMD and ut being a current issue. I would be surprised if there were enough brave souls using this combo to even make an accurate judgement but then again maybe. Funny part is back when I used Windows with Serato (this was SSL days obviously) my machine WAS an AMD and I did NOT have any issues........... go figure. NOW this brings me to my next point. It worked in as much as the word "work" can imply. The waveforms were what they were and there was a very exact and defined lag in every action which I can only describe as latency. This IMO was more of a Windows thing than anything I could ever blame on AMD though.
popnwave 12:22 AM - 15 August, 2019
T2 issues have been fixed with the current version of Mojave, OR just using a TB3 dock which also deals with the hot plugging issue.
Hanginon 2:18 AM - 15 August, 2019
You want rock solid? Have Serato port DJ Pro to Linux AND sell their own Linux laptop, with the hardware/configuration they want, and their software (DJ Pro) pre-loaded! Deliberately put a puny SSD in it to minimize the installation of other software, and to force the Library to be on an external drive or memory stick!! Have the courage to truly think out of the box, and remove all the smoke and mirrors about waveform issues. When was the last time they did that?
Glenn Ghoul 3:11 AM - 15 August, 2019
Quote:
You want rock solid? Have Serato port DJ Pro to Linux AND sell their own Linux laptop, with the hardware/configuration they want, and their software (DJ Pro) pre-loaded! Deliberately put a puny SSD in it to minimize the installation of other software, and to force the Library to be on an external drive or memory stick!! Have the courage to truly think out of the box, and remove all the smoke and mirrors about waveform issues. When was the last time they did that?

This is completely symptomatic of a windows experience. Begging for linux.

Chasing this waveform dragon is unhealthy, library view.

Also, you're not exactly wrong either, all the top benchmarks with that Ryzen are linux installs.
Hanginon 3:33 AM - 15 August, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

This is completely symptomatic of a windows experience. Begging for linux.

Chasing this waveform dragon is unhealthy, library view.

Also, you're not exactly wrong either, all the top benchmarks with that Ryzen are linux installs.

Don't exactly see how it's begging, but fair enough. However, also consider that by having Serato selling their own laptop, they could also probably shift the Licensing too the software, and get out of the jam they are in now having it tied to the sound card, which would open up a lot of things.
Hanginon 3:59 PM - 16 August, 2019
Yup, a nerd-proof Linux box, 15.6" screen, multiple USB 3.0 and C ports.

DJ Pro, Studio, and Sample pre-installed, and they automatically update themselves with an assigned PPA. Really cater to Artists - no computer knowledge needed or necessary.

Total freedom from Apple OS and Window updates - Serato has total control of the narrative.

I'm really starting to like this idea!!
Glenn Ghoul 4:21 PM - 16 August, 2019
You're talking about a SteamBox.

Steam is much bigger thing than Serato, and couldn't get this to work.

arstechnica.com

MacOS is Unix based anyways (like Linux) and serato is stable AF on it. It can also netflix, there's no problem with this situation.
Hanginon 4:32 PM - 16 August, 2019
Quote:
You're talking about a SteamBox.
Steam is much bigger thing than Serato, and couldn't get this to work.

arstechnica.com

Are you saying Serato would not be happy selling a half million of the box's I've described in six months? Really??

Quote:
MacOS is Unix based anyways (like Linux) and serato is stable AF on it. It can also netflix, there's no problem with this situation.

You'd think - but a quick look at the Forum shows many Apple users belly-aching about Mac issues. Granted, many of these people probably can't tie their own shoes!
dj_soo 4:44 PM - 16 August, 2019
Quote:

They'd be better off building a unit that can be embedded in controllers/players/mixers so you can have a standalone serato experience.
Glenn Ghoul 5:27 PM - 16 August, 2019
Quote:
Really??

*eyes roll out of head, and strike ctrl+W on keyboard*
Massimo T 7:04 PM - 28 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Really??

*eyes roll out of head, and strike ctrl+W on keyboard*

LMFAO
PSM 3:54 PM - 17 March, 2020
FWIW. Until last year, I got a brand new top of the range Macbook Pro every 18 months from my job. Personal use okay. Had to give it back when I left.

I dug out my circa 2013/14 Sony Vaio. 3rd Gen i5, 8gb, stuck an SSD in it, upgraded to Windows 10.

Serato runs smoooooooth on it. No crashes, no glitches, nothing.

The problem is; it runs everything so well, I can't justify buying a new laptop!
KC1 1:23 AM - 19 March, 2020
Windows and AMD are fine with serato. Only issue it's had for years is the pathetic attitude of Mac users thinking they're better.

I've owned both Mac and Windows Intel and AMD - all have had their own bugs but for the most part all work fine. To say one is better than the other constantly is nothing more than a pathetic fanboy attitude.
djrenots 2:14 AM - 19 March, 2020
I have all video files (mp4's) and I use an Alienware M17x win 10 and ran great before Dj Pro . And also use a 2012 MacBook Pro that won't run the DJ Pro. I have to run version 1.9.6 to get my videos to play. DJ Pro gives me a black screen with a 2 gb buffer and single frames of the video at lower buffer settings. So anyway I not seeing anyone saying anything about video files and how systems and processors perform using them.
popnwave 2:03 PM - 19 March, 2020
Quote:
I have all video files (mp4's) and I use an Alienware M17x win 10 and ran great before Dj Pro . And also use a 2012 MacBook Pro that won't run the DJ Pro. I have to run version 1.9.6 to get my videos to play. DJ Pro gives me a black screen with a 2 gb buffer and single frames of the video at lower buffer settings. So anyway I not seeing anyone saying anything about video files and how systems and processors perform using them.

SV is the issue.. use Mix Emergency or go with Virtual DJ for video. You'll save hours of headaches.
djrenots 8:26 PM - 19 March, 2020
Ahhh man thanks so much!! I 'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. Good vibes out to you popnwave Have a great Day!