Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Numark Scratch

DJMIYAGI 9:16 PM - 13 June, 2019
Looks pretty awesome for the price
youtu.be
popnwave 11:02 PM - 13 June, 2019
$500 isn't bad at all w/ SDJ Pro and the DVS unlocked.
DJMIYAGI 11:18 PM - 13 June, 2019
Quote:
$500 isn't bad at all w/ SDJ Pro and the DVS unlocked.

Yeah I was considering the S3 to leave setup at the house with my 1200s but for the same price the Numark is the better choice.
DJ Tecniq 5:54 AM - 14 June, 2019
I agree to have Serato enabled plus DVS and the toggle fx at hand this is a great buy!
Laz219 9:33 AM - 14 June, 2019
Looks pretty good to me, especially with an innofader (and swappable)
Looking forward to playing with one when I see it in a shop.
Ragman 10:17 PM - 15 June, 2019
Good price point. And it looks well put together. Can't wait to demo it. Thumbs Up!
DJHexum 11:21 PM - 29 July, 2019
I (currently) use Rane 62/72 and Pioneer S9 for my "main" gigs. I was looking for a "less expensive" SDJ included mixer with pads for others such as boat parties / rooftops / outdoor as here in Texas it gets extremely hot + can be difficult to keep your expensive gear cool at times no matter what "tricks" you use. Numark Scratch packs many great features of the $1500+ mixers into a $499 compact light box. Three quick tips: (1) If using turntables + control vinyl, set the back switches to "Phono" and the front switches to "PC" (2) If using turntables + regular vinyl, set the back switches to "Phono" and the front switches to "Line/Phono" (3) You can get "partial" crate control with the one you are in by selecting Shift+Loop button on the opposite deck and can also "instant double" that way as well. Just received and only used once live with no issues but so far I have to say that I am extremely impressed and pleased with this purchase. Will see if it is a "game changer" in the industry... it should however be a "wake-up call" to Rane/Pioneer to show that you can implement most of the same functionality for a 1/3 of the cost.
dj_soo 12:17 AM - 30 July, 2019
Quote:
it should however be a "wake-up call" to Rane/Pioneer to show that you can implement most of the same functionality for a 1/3 of the cost.

Mixars already showed that it can happen with the Duo. Rane has always been a premium-only gear and Pioneer is pioneer - they've always underdelivered on features for a comparatively higher price when put up against the competition.

The problem is that InMusic and Pioneer don't want to undercut themselves so they are going to artificially limit the functionality of their cheap units vs their premium gear. There's really no reason that Scratch couldn't contain 16 pads as opposed to the 8, but that would affect sales of the 72. Same with the S3 - it could easily have some built-in controls for maybe $100 more, but that would affect S9 sales, so they won't.
DJ Tecniq 12:25 AM - 30 July, 2019
Wonder how the Phono preamps on the Numark Scratch compare to the Pioneer DJM S3...🤔
dj_soo 2:11 AM - 30 July, 2019
Quote:
Wonder how the Phono preamps on the Numark Scratch compare to the Pioneer DJM S3...🤔

Can't possibly be worse considering how terrible Pioneer phono preamps are.
DJMIYAGI 2:24 AM - 30 July, 2019
Quote:

This ^
DJ Tecniq 2:25 AM - 30 July, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I would think better. But i heard the DJM S3 sounds pretty nice with vinyl analog play.
dj_soo 2:30 AM - 30 July, 2019
that goes contrary to every single report about it and the 250 mk2 out there.

My own experience with the SR2 (which I have no doubt has the same preamps) is that it's garbage in terms of sound quality.
DJ Tecniq 4:48 AM - 30 July, 2019
Quote:
My own experience with the SR2 (which I have no doubt has the same preamps) is that it's garbage in terms of sound quality.
No you’re correct i have the SR2 & noticed the Phono preamp just sounds flat & dull like a fucking 128kb MP3 cause at first I thought it was my cables then I switched them and tried them with my Primo. Compared to my Mixars Primo it’s a huge difference. Primo sounds comparable if not same to my S9. I think Pioneer make great mixers and have better quality preamps cause it is def a diff sound with their controllers.
dj_soo 5:32 AM - 30 July, 2019
the S3/250mk2, the Interface 2, and the 450 all have the same garbage preamps - there's tons of threads on their forum complaining about them.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 6:22 PM - 18 September, 2019
Really liking this mixer so far. For the price point it has everything I need, and is super solid. Finally upgraded from Scratch Live! My only issue I've been running into so far is some USB dropouts. I don't notice any audio dropouts so much, but it seems like the dropout indicator is going off more often than not. I've gone thru all the optimization on my Mac, different cables ect with not much luck.

Then I discovered I didn't do my research, and its most likely my processor. My Mac is a i5 16gb memory, and minimum for the latest version of Pro (I'm assuming this is the only version I can use with the Scratch) is i7. So I thought I would check in with forums to see if there are any other tips or tricks to help with the dropouts, or if I'm just dealing with it.
DJMIYAGI 7:57 PM - 18 September, 2019
Quote:
My Mac is a i5 16gb memory, and minimum for the latest version of Pro (I'm assuming this is the only version I can use with the Scratch) is i7.

Where are you seeing this spec info? Serato's minimum requirements list i3, i5, i7 and i9 with at least a 1.07gHz processor.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 10:24 PM - 18 September, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
My Mac is a i5 16gb memory, and minimum for the latest version of Pro (I'm assuming this is the only version I can use with the Scratch) is i7.

Where are you seeing this spec info? Serato's minimum requirements list i3, i5, i7 and i9 with at least a 1.07gHz processor.

I went back and double checked and your correct. I was looking at the wrong thing. So technically I should be ok spec wise. The only other thing I could do is is adjust my slider, but I hate to do that since I scratch alot. Its currently set to 5 which is the lowest I can go.
DJ Tecniq 1:02 AM - 19 September, 2019
You should be fine with an i5 processor but maybe the 1.07 ghz is quite limiting. Which OS are you using? Here’s the thing I’ve had the cpu light come on and I have an i7 even though my computer isn’t stressed it occasionally happens with video randomly but no official dropouts occur. I’ve just come to the conclusion it’s just the software cause my cpu bar never even comes close to half way.
Logisticalstyles 1:42 AM - 19 September, 2019
Quote:
Its currently set to 5 which is the lowest I can go.

That really sucks. You can't get it down to 1?
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 6:07 PM - 19 September, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Its currently set to 5 which is the lowest I can go.

That really sucks. You can't get it down to 1?

Yeah when I try to go lower than that, I get the weird distorted sound. Now that I think about it I'm not sure if it even allows me to move it lower than 5. And it has the little "m" below the 5. I'm not sure what that refers to. Im gonna double check that and my CPU this eve. I'm workin with a 2.5Ghz. I'm on Sierra 10.12.6. Everything has been running ok so I've been afraid to upgrade to anything higher from hearing other horror stories.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 4:43 AM - 20 September, 2019
Update after playing around this eve. I moved my slider between 1 and 2. My CPU load wasn't high at all. Pretty consistent dropout indicators. But not much or any audio interference that I notice. Little screen lag randomly. So I don't know, maybe jus the software right now or what. Spec and usage wise I should be cool.
DJ Tecniq 6:01 AM - 20 September, 2019
Quote:
Update after playing around this eve. I moved my slider between 1 and 2. My CPU load wasn't high at all. Pretty consistent dropout indicators. But not much or any audio interference that I notice. Little screen lag randomly. So I don't know, maybe jus the software right now or what. Spec and usage wise I should be cool.
Are your Max screen updates at 60? The higher the smoother your waveforms.
dj_soo 4:30 PM - 20 September, 2019
the higher the framerate, the more cpu load there is tho so it's a bit of a tradeoff
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 5:56 PM - 20 September, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Are your Max screen updates at 60? The higher the smoother your waveforms.

Yeah I believe I have that maxed out. I'll play around with that a bit.
KiyoshiPDESound 12:50 PM - 28 October, 2019
Does anyone bought this mixer and can told me that is this unlocks dvs for account and f.e. I can leave this mixer at home and use any other gear dvs ready at club?
Robb Royale 2:48 PM - 28 October, 2019
Quote:
Does anyone bought this mixer and can told me that is this unlocks dvs for account and f.e. I can leave this mixer at home and use any other gear dvs ready at club?

From Numark.com:

DVS Ready

Easily connect to the Numark Scratch, whether you use traditional turntables or media players. Scratch unlocks Serato DVS for Serato DJ Pro instantly.

Hope this helps.
dj_soo 5:30 PM - 28 October, 2019
Works the same as any serato enabled mixer like the s9 or 72. Plug and play
dj_soo 5:31 PM - 28 October, 2019
Which means you can’t use a mixer that requires the paid plugin without buying the paid plugin.
Shinobi Shaw 1:40 AM - 5 December, 2019
Hey I got a quick silly question.
Does Numark Scratch work on Serato DJ 19.1 ?
I have 2 laptops. One is good to go spec wise but the other one is older and I am only able to run Serato DJ on it, not pro. When I connected the Numark mixer to the older computer, it would not recognize it at all. This is a 2012 Macbook Pro. I know spec wise that probably wont cut it but I've been running serato dj 19.1 on it so far and it works with most mixers (pioneer, rane, roland)

Let me know if you had a similiar issue.
Logisticalstyles 2:16 AM - 5 December, 2019
Probably won't work since they didn't start supporting that mixer until Serato DJ Pro 2.1.2.
DJ Tecniq 2:46 AM - 5 December, 2019
a 2012 MacBook Pro is plenty but the Numark scratch is too recent so it needs SDJ Pro anything below the non pro versions are not supported.
mixxinmel 12:49 AM - 12 January, 2020
The only problem ive had with this mixer is that you have to turn the mixer master out up real high in order to hear your Microphone over the music. Then you cant have the channel gains barely up at all. So when you go to cue the music you can barely hear the cued up music cause the input volume is too low. And the powered speakers that are connected has to the turned down considerably. that was my work around to get it to sound decent. Anyone else having these types oh problems. I love the Scratch mixer though.
DJ JulioYEG 11:42 PM - 15 January, 2020
Quote:
The only problem ive had with this mixer is that you have to turn the mixer master out up real high in order to hear your Microphone over the music. Then you cant have the channel gains barely up at all. So when you go to cue the music you can barely hear the cued up music cause the input volume is too low. And the powered speakers that are connected has to the turned down considerably. that was my work around to get it to sound decent. Anyone else having these types oh problems. I love the Scratch mixer though.

can you adjust the attenuation in drivers or settings. or adjust ur sensitivity on the mic
Laz219 12:54 AM - 16 January, 2020
I was thinking maybe it's a phantom power issue ..
Logisticalstyles 2:24 PM - 16 January, 2020
Quote:

I haven't had these problems yet. I haven't had to use the mic for much more than a few birthday shout outs and last call announcements though.
The Real Fanu 9:19 AM - 28 January, 2020
I'd like to assign the LOOP knobs of this mixer to scrolling songs in Serato DJ Pro.
But seems they cannot be assigned to library scroll / up and down controls, while they can be assigned to many other things.

Contacted Numark and they said,
"we cannot provide technical support for Serato itself as we are not the developer of the software"

Contacted Serato and they said,
"Thanks for getting in touch, this is indeed a limitation of the mixer. The loop knobs are not able to be mapped to the library scroll."

I wonder why.
The loop knobs clearly do send midi, but the software does not allow the mapping.

I've been able to assign Flanger and Phaser as up/down for scrolling tracks, but there's like a small latency (whereas shift+Loop knob is very immediate).

That's the only downside of this mixer, I feel.
DJMIYAGI 6:21 PM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:
I'd like to assign the LOOP knobs of this mixer to scrolling songs in Serato DJ Pro.
But seems they cannot be assigned to library scroll / up and down controls, while they can be assigned to many other things.

Contacted Numark and they said,
"we cannot provide technical support for Serato itself as we are not the developer of the software"

Contacted Serato and they said,
"Thanks for getting in touch, this is indeed a limitation of the mixer. The loop knobs are not able to be mapped to the library scroll."

I wonder why.
The loop knobs clearly do send midi, but the software does not allow the mapping.

I've been able to assign Flanger and Phaser as up/down for scrolling tracks, but there's like a small latency (whereas shift+Loop knob is very immediate).

That's the only downside of this mixer, I feel.

Don't the loop encoders already control library scrolling when you hold shift?
Logisticalstyles 6:31 PM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:

Yep.
DJMIYAGI 6:38 PM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

Yep.

Lol
The Real Fanu 7:43 PM - 28 January, 2020
Yes, but I want to have a one-hand library scroll system – for the abovementioned, you'll need two hands.
Want to be able to keep my hand on the record and load a song with the other hand.
The shift-knob system won't allow that.
DJMIYAGI 8:02 PM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:
Yes, but I want to have a one-hand library scroll system – for the abovementioned, you'll need two hands.
Want to be able to keep my hand on the record and load a song with the other hand.

You may need to invest in an add on controller like the SP1 or XP2 for that.
The Real Fanu 8:07 PM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

You may need to invest in an add on controller like the SP1 or XP2 for that.

Yeah thanks – my button mapping does work though :)
Got rid of two more FX buttons and now the buttons control library up/down and load to left/right deck.
Qbaas 8:47 PM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:
Got rid of two more FX buttons and now the buttons control library up/down and load to left/right deck.

Do you think it would be possible to map the effect buttons (i only use echo) to the beatjump controls? (jump back and forwards and maybe hold shit to beatjump on second channel)
The Real Fanu 8:49 PM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

Do you think it would be possible to map the effect buttons (i only use echo) to the beatjump controls? (jump back and forwards and maybe hold shit to beatjump on second channel)

I think they can be mapped to almost anything.
Peep the software in MIDI mode and that'll show you where you can map things.
Qbaas 9:02 PM - 28 January, 2020
Quote:
I think they can be mapped to almost anything.
Peep the software in MIDI mode and that'll show you where you can map things.

Thanks, im gonna give it a go
The Real Fanu 3:51 AM - 29 January, 2020
Another issue I'd point is the resonance of the filter that the knobs in the mixer control - I guess that is a software issue. When playing vinyl, I don't think it's there.
I find the filter too resonant.

I'd like a non-resonant filter for mixing for transparency. A resonant one can make sense in music production, but in DJing, I don't think there's need for resonance.

I wonder if the the Rane 62 exhibits similar resonance? Been interested in that mixer, too.
dj_soo 4:51 AM - 29 January, 2020
62 allows you to adjust the filter resonance.

Companies tend to make filters more resonant because that's what pioneer does and lots of DJs are used to a nosier filter sound.
The Real Fanu 3:16 PM - 9 April, 2020
Considering selling mine.

Reasons being:
• the resonant channel filters whose resonance you cannot set (I find this really baffling in this day and age – also, the filters are not resonant in vinyl/analog mode)
• not being to have a one-hand track browse/load knob

Those aside, it's a great mixer.

Considering a Reloop Elite or Rane 62.
DJMIYAGI 3:51 PM - 9 April, 2020
Quote:

Reasons being:
• the resonant channel filters whose resonance you cannot set (I find this really baffling in this day and age – also, the filters are not resonant in vinyl/analog mode)

Get the Seventy
The Real Fanu 4:17 PM - 9 April, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

Reasons being:

Get the Seventy

Yeah that would be the shit!
Logisticalstyles 11:37 PM - 9 April, 2020
Quote:

Yeah, that is annoying
djnonstop216@gmail.com 7:18 AM - 18 April, 2020
using a Mac book pro i5 cue points are not working
Laz219 7:19 AM - 18 April, 2020
Are you in absolute mode?
djnonstop216@gmail.com 7:21 AM - 18 April, 2020
yes
DJMIYAGI 8:13 PM - 18 April, 2020
Quote:
yes

You have to be in Relative mode for cues, loops, etc
The Real Fanu 11:35 AM - 3 June, 2020
Still haven't sold mine, heh; I was able to map most of the necessary shortcut-based actions to this Loupedeck CT controller, so with that I'm able to browse songs/crates, load them to both decks, etc.
It sits nicely to the left of my turntable on the desk and doesn't take too much space.
Faster than doing the weird finger-stretch feat with one hand with the Numark mixer itself when trying to do one-hand song-loading operations.

Now if only I could lose the resonance of the filter in Serato mode, I'd be a fairly happy camper.
Jelly 8:45 PM - 25 July, 2020
Having a problem w/ right channel plays in mono, my left channel plays in stereo. Can't figure it out to save my life. Can someone help me please or do I just send it back to the company. Had it for 11 months.
DJ Tecniq 3:40 PM - 27 July, 2020
Quote:
Having a problem w/ right channel plays in mono, my left channel plays in stereo. Can't figure it out to save my life. Can someone help me please or do I just send it back to the company. Had it for 11 months.
interesting how can you tell it’s playing in mono?
Jelly 6:58 PM - 28 July, 2020
Just used that term to give an example of the difference in sound quality. Do you have any positive feedback that can remedy this issue? If not...........
DJ Tecniq 11:20 PM - 28 July, 2020
Providing a clip of the sound differences would really help.
DJ JulioYEG 5:51 AM - 1 August, 2020
probably a bad rca or connection in the mixer start w the cable swap.