DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Internal SSD Upgrade question

D.J. Flawless 11:58 PM - 2 June, 2019
hello everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my 2015 MBP 2.8 ghz laptop with a Samsung Evo 970 plus or a Samsung Evo 970 pro, the question is weather or not its worth to dish out the extra cash on the pro version opposed to the plus version.

take into consideration the only things that will be ran on this computer are the following

OSX 10.12 Sierra
Serato Dj Pro (all music ran on external)
Pro Tools w/ basic Waves plugin bundle (no major editing or mixing will be done on this computer)
Soundswitch
Midas M32 Edit
Universal Audio Console (Apollo twin interface runs all plugins DSP)
Platinum notes
Mixed in key
iTunes

let me know your thoughts, Pro's & Cons & weather its worth going to a pro series or if I should just save the cash and go with a plus series Evo 970!

thanks!!
DJMIYAGI 11:12 PM - 20 September, 2019
The only real difference is the write speed. See below.
www.samsung.com
Culprit 8:32 AM - 21 September, 2019
I think you need to be running a certain version of OSX, so before you uprade so some research to see which version will support the samsung evo 970
Culprit 8:33 AM - 21 September, 2019
the main difference is the TBW

itpeernetwork.intel.com
popnwave 3:07 PM - 21 September, 2019
Biggest "PRO" to the pro series has always been longer warranty.

You get diminished returns when loading tracks since it's not like your copying/moving HUGE amounts of data where you see the speed differences over time.
Culprit 5:39 PM - 21 September, 2019
Quote:
Biggest "PRO" to the pro series has always been longer warranty.

You get diminished returns when loading tracks since it's not like your copying/moving HUGE amounts of data where you see the speed differences over time.

I think its when you write to tracks, which i think serato is everytime you load out
Crackpipe 4:24 PM - 22 September, 2019
I thought there were only a few internal NvMe SSDs for macbooks since Apple uses a proprietary connector that only a few manufacturers make like Apple and OWC.

My setup is
2015 Macbook Pro i7 w/ 256 GB internal NVMe drive
Mojave formatted in Apple File system
Serato DJ Pro
1 TB San Disk external SSD

Before getting the 1 TB San Disk SSD, I had a regular 1 TB Toshiba HDD external drive (traditional HDD). When on Serato and loading up a song from teh HDD, there would be a small delay in loading up the song (maybe 1 - 1.5 seconds). While that doesn't seem too long for normal applications, with DJing, that is an eternity (unless you are a house/EDM DJ since you have all the time in the world to load up and mix in the next song). Also it would take my macbook maybe about 3 seconds to detect and make the drive available and also take a few seconds to eject the drive.

With the 1 TB External SSD, songs load into Serato with ZERO delay. It's basically like the external drive was an internal drive. Also the drive is detected almost instantly and ejected with any delay. I bought this on Amazon Prime day for around $120 I think. Best investment IMO. express.google.com