DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Custom Mobile DJ Booth

B Goody 3:44 PM - 29 May, 2019
I am in the midst of creating a booth that can appeal to the mobile DJ masses. One that will break down, on casters, and fit in the back of most SUVs. Able to be erected in 5 min or less. Made of wood with a weight capacity of ~400 lbs

I am trying to cover all basis that would be important for us DJs and want input on what should be included, and nice features that would make it very appealing at around a $900 price point.

Current thoughts:
- Top center hole for cable runs
- 2 Holes on each side for cable runs to speakers
- Large open center space for cords, power strips, overall organization
- 60" width, 35" height, 30" depth
- Customizable front panel for clients, personal brand, whatever

Am I missing anything else that would make this appealing? Is $900 too much for a mobile DJ booth, is there a market for this? Thanks!
lvmez 9:44 PM - 29 May, 2019
Instead go holes for speaker cables, install female XLR plugs on outside frame. You can do the same with a HDMI cable in case you want to run a video source.
Rebelguy 10:21 PM - 29 May, 2019
The price seems high.

Why do you want to do wood?
B Goody 10:21 PM - 29 May, 2019
Quote:
Instead go holes for speaker cables, install female XLR plugs on outside frame. You can do the same with a HDMI cable in case you want to run a video source.

That was my first thought but since the booth breaks down for transport, you would be running cable constantly anyways. Even if I installed plugs, cords would still need to be run to mixer, etc every time. Which makes it where you essentially have to run cable from the mixer to the plugs, then from the plugs to the speakers... not double the work but def more work.
B Goody 10:38 PM - 29 May, 2019
Quote:
The price seems high.

Why do you want to do wood?

The price is still up in the air. But with the materials and all the features I feel like it will be in that ballpark ($700-$900).

I like wood because it is strong and durable. The pieces will be CNC cut also for efficiency and wood is the material of choice for that.

It is not really geared toward the fold up 6ft table with a scrim crowd (which I currently do), more so the high end wedding/corporate DJs where presentation is paramount. The booths can also be rented for multiple uses with different clients.
577er 3:41 AM - 30 May, 2019
A good design would sell for sure. Most DJ tables / booths are laughable. Do you have any examples of what you are going for? Floating table or bunker style booth?
B Goody 12:11 PM - 30 May, 2019
Quote:
A good design would sell for sure. Most DJ tables / booths are laughable. Do you have any examples of what you are going for? Floating table or bunker style booth?

Without giving away too much, not really. Not that I am afraid someone on here is going to take my idea, but, you know.

I have always wanted a really nice booth design to take to some of my better high end gigs instead of my cheap 6ft foldable table with scrim but all the booth I like do not break down, requiring me to get a trailer which is unnecessary for me. A nice booth rental in my area runs a couple hundred so after a few rentals it is not worth it anymore.

I just feel that as a part time DJ, if I want an option like this, there are probably others out there that do as well.
577er 9:21 PM - 30 May, 2019
Those metal truss folding ones that split in half are the things you are up against. I’ve seen some cool custom booths over the years but they all look too heavy or hard to transport without a huge case. If you had something that folded so the visiable side was protected in transit that would be great.
CMOS 9:50 PM - 30 May, 2019
If I was buying a booth id want this:

Watchwww.youtube.com
577er 10:00 PM - 30 May, 2019
Yeah that guys booths are killer! But zero chance i’d ever buy one. Too big, too heavy for the majority of venues I work in.
B Goody 12:15 PM - 31 May, 2019
Quote:
If I was buying a booth id want this:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Trust me I get that, that this is awesome. But again this is kind of apples to oranges, that rig would be much more money (I am thinking a couple thousand), and you cannot fit it in the back of an SUV.

Again, my idea is for the higher end mobile DJ that cannot or does not want to spend money on a trailer to haul gear and a super nice DJ booth but also does not just want the fold-up table and scrim look.
deezlee 7:15 PM - 2 June, 2019
I’d like a table w sunken spots for the equipment.
Wireless mic and speaker stuff hidden in the tabletop. Removable legs. Cords inside of a leg.
Access to a line mixer inside of the table.
deezlee 7:17 PM - 2 June, 2019
Built in antenna wire to assist wireless signals.
Robejz 11:49 AM - 3 June, 2019
I don't think the $900 price point it too expensive if it's well made and looks decent. The Hoerboard Stereo T is in the same ballpark. It's supposed to be portable, has a beautiful clean design and I'd definitely buy one if I had the money, although it might not be suitable for everyone. Some might feel too exposed.

www.hoerboard.com
B Goody 6:53 PM - 5 June, 2019
Quote:
I don't think the $900 price point it too expensive if it's well made and looks decent. The Hoerboard Stereo T is in the same ballpark. It's supposed to be portable, has a beautiful clean design and I'd definitely buy one if I had the money, although it might not be suitable for everyone. Some might feel too exposed.

www.hoerboard.com

My goal would be to have clean lines, simple setup/breakdown, transportable in the back of a small SUV+, hidden cable ability, shelving ability underneath tabletop, wide enough for almost any setup, customizable logo front board for each client or use