DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Are Bass bottoms needed?

Ollie 7:09 PM - 13 May, 2019
When doing a standard reception indoor, around 150-175 people do you guys still find the need to bring bass bottoms? But with technology and improvement in the way speakers are made now is it still needed? I've been able to get by with 15's but does that mean I'm lacking in sound quality?
577er 8:24 PM - 13 May, 2019
Some venues sound pathetic without subs but most of the time you can get away without them. Some venues don’t even allow them and they are popular wedding venues so it’s really a case by case thing. Speaker technology hasn’t changed physics. No 15” is really hitting hard below 50Hz now or then.

Are you lacking in the potential for better sound quality? Yes. Does it matter? Depends. Will parties still pop off without subs? Absolutely.
pdidy 9:20 PM - 13 May, 2019
Wedding djs tend to have very low sound quality requirements as getting away with as little gear as possible is generally the priority. So you should be just fine.....
pdidy 9:24 PM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:
Speaker technology hasn’t changed physics. No 15” is really hitting hard below 50Hz now or then.
Are you lacking in the potential for better sound quality? Yes.

All true.....Will your clients and guests care? Maybe
dj_soo 9:48 PM - 13 May, 2019
I always bring subs these days, but I have encountered some venues that ban them.
DJ Reflex 10:15 PM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:
Wedding djs tend to have very low sound quality requirements as getting away with as little gear as possible is generally the priority. So you should be just fine.....

Hehe - True for the most part. I, however, spent the money and always bring a quality sub to every gig. Only exception is venues with no elevator!