DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What older gear would you still buy and why?

deejayfatcat 9:21 PM - 3 May, 2019
I’ve been in a funny spot with my gear for the last few years. I have 3 rigs, Pioneer Wego that I tend to use with an iPad and Djay, a Denon MC4000, and 1200s with a vintage Bozak rotary mixer that I use with an SL1 and my MacBook Pro Mid 2012.

Ideally I’d use the Bozak/1200 rig everywhere but that’s just not practical. I use the 2 other rigs far more, even though I enjoy it less. It got me thinking of what I want. Ultimately I want an active platter rig. I see a lot of talk about 12s but they aren’t portable enough for me. This brings me to the NS7, V7 and old Denons. Does anyone still consider these solid pieces at this point? I also recently came across a VCI380 for a decent price and it made me think the same thing.

What older gear do you still consider viable (excluding the established 1200s and CDJs)?
Cj Da Dj 9:42 PM - 3 May, 2019
Yo.... NS7 any version still rocks. But heavy.
V7s rock as long as you use a non serato mixer.
Vci400 rocks
Ddj six or sr both rock
The 62 rocks.
All depends on you at the end of the day.
dj_soo 8:42 PM - 4 May, 2019
I’d love to have an old Rane empath just to have.
Ulrich von Hurtem 9:11 PM - 4 May, 2019
QSC power amps
Rane TTM54i
Rane rack gear, such as: crossovers, EQs, and compressors.
Mr. Goodkat 10:29 PM - 4 May, 2019
Quote:

always looking at those empath rotaries, the prices are finally going down, but they are rare to an extent.
deejayfatcat 10:39 PM - 4 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

always looking at those empath rotaries, the prices are finally going down, but they are rare to an extent.

Even though I have the Bozak, I still want a empath rotary for the form factor. I really wish a company like Mixars would come out with a Serato enabled mixer that you could swap out the faders for knobs.
Mr. Goodkat 10:45 PM - 4 May, 2019
yeah, theres a guy making kits for 900nxs and nxs2s.

www.rotarykits.com

i bought a 2015 rane 64 recently, its not super old but it was in the box for 900$ and my 62 was getting beat up. The midi options for the 64 are what sold me on it. Never been sold on pioneer sound but i hear the 900 nxs2 sounds really good but its 2k pretty much everywhere and i wasnt gonna part with that, id rather just grab a Rane 2015 if im gonna spend that much or maybe a boutique rotary.
deejayfatcat 12:55 AM - 5 May, 2019
Thanks for mentioning, I've seen those. I just don't like the 900 series enough to spend 12-1500 plus 250 for the rotary mod kit. I'd be totally content with a Mixars Duo with rotaries,

Quote:
yeah, theres a guy making kits for 900nxs and nxs2s.

www.rotarykits.com

i bought a 2015 rane 64 recently, its not super old but it was in the box for 900$ and my 62 was getting beat up. The midi options for the 64 are what sold me on it. Never been sold on pioneer sound but i hear the 900 nxs2 sounds really good but its 2k pretty much everywhere and i wasnt gonna part with that, id rather just grab a Rane 2015 if im gonna spend that much or maybe a boutique rotary.
Dj Toobs 5:14 PM - 5 May, 2019
Technics 1200 Mk2's.
Why, is Not even a question!
Laz219 12:21 AM - 6 May, 2019
Quote:

I picked one of these up a few years back when I found out listed on a second hand website. I really shouldn't have spent the money at the time but glad I did- still my favourite mixer by far.
Chino 10:59 PM - 6 May, 2019
I want to add an original Korg Kaoss KM-2 dj mixer to my collection. I should of never sold the one I had.

reverb.com
Laz219 11:11 PM - 6 May, 2019
Quote:
I want to add an original Korg Kaoss KM-2 dj mixer to my collection. I should of never sold the one I had.

reverb.com

I was picturing this when reading your post:
www.gear4music.com

Could never help but have a 5 minute play on that every time I walked past it in a shop, even if the actual FX pad on it was way too small... Was still fun.
your momma 3:49 AM - 7 May, 2019
I buy the technics cdjs
Logisticalstyles 3:23 PM - 9 May, 2019
Quote:

Do they not work with Serato mixers? I would love to get one or two V7s.
HighTopFade 3:03 AM - 11 May, 2019
Denon HC-1000S add on controller. Works great with basic mixers.
Cj Da Dj 10:24 AM - 11 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Do they not work with Serato mixers? I would love to get one or two V7s.

They work but with a S9 you gotta sequence the order your plug things in and it’s finnicky sometimes since the players want to be the sound card. I found it best to rock with the Z2 and the V7s to avoid any wtf moments when spinning
deejayfatcat 11:29 AM - 11 May, 2019
Quote:

Is there a way to control effects from this?
Robejz 1:46 PM - 11 May, 2019
DJM909 Still a great little mixer.
Logisticalstyles 2:33 PM - 11 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but it was not very convenient to do so. I just gave mine away a couple of months ago. I wish they would have upgraded it as the software evolved but I think the SP1 ended up being the better sub controller.
Cj Da Dj 4:53 PM - 11 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but it was not very convenient to do so. I just gave mine away a couple of months ago. I wish they would have upgraded it as the software evolved but I think the SP1 ended up being the better sub controller.

Wish they made a mk2 for the SP1. That was solid.
I guess the s9 has the same upgrade features you would get. But it would be nice to have it as an accessory.
dj_soo 5:21 PM - 11 May, 2019
S9 controls are nowhere near as robust as the sp1
Cj Da Dj 7:04 PM - 11 May, 2019
Quote:
S9 controls are nowhere near as robust as the sp1

Let’s start the m2 petition for both.
deejayfatcat 9:25 PM - 11 May, 2019
I would like a mk2 version of the Denon for the size. Not enough good dvs sub controllers out there. You would think there would be with cdjs being club standard. I asked DJ techtools to make a half twister/half fighter this week for that purpose.
deejayayup 9:42 PM - 11 May, 2019
DJM-909 most fun mixer I ever used.
Rebelguy 3:32 AM - 12 May, 2019
Rodec Scratchbox
Laz219 7:28 AM - 12 May, 2019
Quote:
Rodec Scratchbox

Still on my list of mixers I really want, don't seem to be a lot around though!
Rebelguy 8:32 PM - 12 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Rodec Scratchbox

Still on my list of mixers I really want, don't seem to be a lot around though!

I got offered one last year but I waited too long and it ended up slipping through my fingers.
SUBSTANCE 8:12 AM - 25 May, 2019
It would be cool to have some of the classic drum machines, although from experience keeping them in working order can be a job in itself.

MPC60 II
SP1200
Technics CD players - SL-P1200, SL-DZ1200
Chino 6:44 PM - 26 May, 2019
I sold my mint MC 909 a few years back. I still regret selling it.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 4:54 PM - 29 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even though I have the Bozak, I still want a empath rotary for the form factor. I really wish a company like Mixars would come out with a Serato enabled mixer that you could swap out the faders for knobs.

THIS!!!
Jvine 6:37 PM - 31 May, 2019
Techs, because techs

Rane 56/56s, because to me it's the best mixer of all time, so simple, so clean, built like a tank, and amazing sound quality,

Those saying 909, yuck lol. I owned one and thought it was ok for a while. It never really stood up to a 56 for me as far as sound, fader feel preference, and build quality. The built in effects were cool and all, but with like every Pioneer product it began falling apart after a few years. After DJ'ing for nearly 20 years and dealing with tanks like the 05/06/07 and 56, the build quality and paint chipping of the 300/600/700 and 707/909 coupled with the price tag of quality built gear is why you will never see me drop hard earned money on an S9.
your momma 7:23 AM - 1 June, 2019
72 is the best mixer on the market imo
Rebelguy 6:04 PM - 1 June, 2019
Quote:

Yes that is your opinion.
GrandDad 5:06 PM - 7 June, 2019
1200's
No complaints with my second hand NS7ii. I'd buy another one for the price I got mine in a heartbeat.
Chris81 1:58 PM - 10 June, 2019
Quote:
Yo.... NS7 any version still rocks. But heavy.

Agreed. On both accounts.

I bought my NS7 mk1 circa 2010. It's still going strong. You're stuck with only two decks, which for a mediocre DJ like me is fine.

One thing I am not a fan of is the NSFX bar. I just don't like it. Maybe it's the faders (for effects I prefer knob controls). That problem will hopefully soon be rectified with a new Pioneer DDJ-SP1 taking control of effects duties. Alternatively the Numark Dashboard should be an easy upgrade solution for those who don't mind the NSFX.

It is freaking heavy however. Make sure your road case has wheels.
YZ 6:49 PM - 10 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for letting us know you know what an opinion sounds like.
your momma 11:38 PM - 10 June, 2019
Vestax. Technics mk2
DJ Irv 1:21 AM - 11 June, 2019
Gemini PMX-2200 or MX-2200

Because it's a classic and has a lot swag still.
Rebelguy 10:57 PM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for letting us know you know what an opinion sounds like.

Did you record yourself speaking? How would I know what your opinion sounds like?
DJ Jonasty 11:44 AM - 12 June, 2019
Maybe a control Z2. It's still on shelves but pretty old now. Good mixer for price and a USB hub!
HK1200 6:47 PM - 12 June, 2019
Quote:

Love my Empath. It's still my daily driver. Frequently keep my eye open for an inexpensive rotary version as well, just because.

To add to the thread: Dicers. Despite their shortcomings, they're a cheap and convenient way to handle track selection and cue points on a pair of 1200's with an analog mixer such as the Empath.
DJ Irv 7:56 PM - 12 June, 2019
Quote:
Maybe a control Z2. It's still on shelves but pretty old now. Good mixer for price and a USB hub!

Well worth $600 bucks. I midi mapped mine to SDJ.