DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

an mp3 question

moegio 6:58 AM - 7 December, 2004
Once i play an mp3 from start to finish and it doesnt crash ssl i shouldnt ever have a problem playing that mp3 again right?
djpetey 7:53 AM - 7 December, 2004
i havent done a good job of keeping track of them, so in all fairness, I havent given the tech boys a chance to look at this problem, but I have had mp3s that played for a while and then stopped working.... then reloading the mp3 would make them play fine again..... as soon as I find an example, Ill send it to tech support and we can find out if its just on my end
moegio 6:16 PM - 7 December, 2004
yeah cuz if an mp3 can play once fine and then crash ssl another time. Then this program sucks for live gigs.
nik39 6:43 PM - 7 December, 2004
Well from my experience I would say, if it works fine once (_complete_ run) it should work fine ever again. If it crashes again then its definitly not the mp3.
Revolutionary 8:21 PM - 7 December, 2004
What kind of MP3 is it? Legal?
nik39 8:56 PM - 7 December, 2004
Rev, even legal mp3s can be faulty. Imagine you resume a download and some bytes are missing, are a bit was switched during transmission (believe it or not, even with TCP/IP and header checksum this can (and will) happen!). But the chances to get corruption on illegal (p2p) files is of course higher. Also you never know if that file has been reencoded or whatever.
Revolutionary 9:15 PM - 7 December, 2004
Yeah, of course.
djpetey 11:31 AM - 8 December, 2004
Quote:
yeah cuz if an mp3 can play once fine and then crash ssl another time. Then this program sucks for live gigs.

the problem I was referring to (first off) is extremely rare.... and (second off), never crashed my system..... just didnt load the song..... in my opinion, this program is amazing in live situations.... I spin at least 5 club nights a week and have used ssl for quite a while now for all of them.... never had an embarrasing situation (knock on wood).... I just didnt want my post to lead to someone thinking that this isnt an extremely reliable application