Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Apple AirPods audio delay

DJ Tecniq 11:33 AM - 11 April, 2019
Decided to try out my new Apple AirPods wireless headphones while offline in Serato. Noticed there is a delay when I press the play button on the deck in Serato like it’s 1-2 secs off from when I press play so as a test i decided to use my Apple Earbuds plugged them into the headphone port on my Mac and no delay at all. Not sure if it’s an issue w/the AirPods or Serato. Maybe someone else can test with their Bluetooth AirPods? Thanks!
Logisticalstyles 4:17 PM - 11 April, 2019
Is the delay between the time you hit play and hear music, or is it between the time you hit play and see the deck or waveform move on the screen?
Laz219 4:47 PM - 11 April, 2019
Doesn't really surprise me, even companies that try and push low latency still can't get it perfect with wireless.
popnwave 6:39 PM - 11 April, 2019
I can't edit with mine because of this. They are not low latency devices, that's for sure.
dj_soo 6:41 PM - 11 April, 2019
there's always going to be some delay when using bluetooth.
popnwave 6:44 PM - 11 April, 2019
Quote:
there's always going to be some delay when using bluetooth.

That NATUS product is supposed to be 16ms which is pretty good on top of a base of 80-85ms you see with wired headphones. I think AirPods are over 200ms and then you have to factor in if your mac supports the newer BT 5.x, et al and if that's a factor in the latency as well.
DJ JulioYEG 11:13 PM - 11 April, 2019
wireless does not belong in a dj environment period. Except for mics
sotosoul 5:37 PM - 4 May, 2019
I think this video will cast some light on the Airpods issue, which is common in many wireless systems Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 6:00 PM - 4 May, 2019
Quote:
Is the delay between the time you hit play and hear music, or is it between the time you hit play and see the deck or waveform move on the screen?
Both. Overall delay when pressing play.
113.FM Radio Network 5:26 PM - 6 May, 2019
I'm working with a solution that offers between 35ms to 45ms using a combination of an external bluetooth 5.0 transmitter which has aptx low latency and a pair of Pioneer Wireless (HDJ-X5BT-K) that also has AptX low latency feature. I dj wirelessly with this setup and it's pretty darn good for mixing and talking without any noticable latency.

My setup includes a direct connect out from my Pioneer DJM-2000 Nexus mixer to the bluetooth adapter with a TRS to 2.5mm cable. A RCA to 2.5mm cable can also be used. I do not pipe the audio out of my MacPro to the bluetooth transmitter. You want the connection to come right from the mixer itself.

Now, from what I've read through countless blogs and youtube video reviews, most humans cannout detect lag below 80-100ms. And, I agree. Using APTX (LOW LATENCY) on both the transceiver and receiver (headphones) will be about the best option for now.

It's a damn shame that the Natus.One did not come to production with their claim of 16ms latency. This does require you to have on you the receiver while you dj with upto 24 hours battery life. Benefit, you can use any pair of your favorite wired headphones.

My solution, however, does not require anything on you to wear except for the wireless headphones themselves. The biggest issue right now are finding pro quality (pro dj) use wireless headphones that support the Qualcom AptX LL (Low Latency) codec. Good news is more and more headphone manufactures are adopting this codec into their wirless headsets.

Another option are wireless headphones which offer the "Fast Streaming" codec. Finding a bluetooth transceiver that offers that codec seems to be a bit challenging too. However, Fast Streaming codec is about 30-40ms latency. Not shabby.

I'm working on a vblog to post on Youtube soon which will discuss this topic and offer additional soultions. As a pro dj, this topic is incedibly important to my daily life as an on-air broadcaster.

-- DJ SpyderX (113.fm Radio) www.113.fm

www.amazon.com
113.FM Radio Network 5:33 PM - 6 May, 2019
I wanted to post some links of the gear I'm using to make this happen.

The wireless headphones can be found here.

www.amazon.com

The Bluetooth 5.0 Transceibver I'm using can be found here.

www.amazon.com

Here is the link to the many products that support Qualcomm's APTX Low Latency. (Which btw, is how I found the Pioneer wireless headset.

www.aptx.com

I hope my post may help the many of you that have been long searching for a decent bluetooth listening experience while DJ'ing. It's not perfect, but it's damn close.

- DJ SpyderX (@djspyderx)
sotosoul 2:10 PM - 8 May, 2019
Quote:
Here is the link to the many products that support Qualcomm's APTX Low Latency

The "key facts" on their page are not only wrong, but also contradicting.

Personally, I can definitely tell the difference between 10 ms and 5 ms in Serato. I think that human brain can pick latency down to at least 2 ms. I have read posts by scratch DJs who can tell the difference between even 1 ms and 2 ms!

These headphones may be ok for casual video watching but definitely not good for professional use, based on their 40 ms latency "claim".
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:55 PM - 8 May, 2019
Quote:

Phase?
popnwave 5:55 PM - 8 May, 2019
I don't think Phase is pushing much bandwidth, in its defense.
DJ JulioYEG 5:17 PM - 9 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Phase?

We still don't know the root of the issues with phase speculation says tone i say interference
YZ 8:22 PM - 9 May, 2019
Common sense, wifi of any sort will have lag plus other factors at play
PaulT99 5:51 PM - 16 May, 2019
Of course.
Apples Airpods use their W1 chip which handles Bluetooth audio transfer. Has a built in Buffer, and decoder.

Hence Latency will be a serious issue if you want realtime audio.