Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Hot Cue and Loop questions

Angelo2019 7:16 PM - 20 March, 2019
Hi,

i am a new serato user. i have a question about hot cue and loop with djm S9

1) is there a way to assign a loop to an hot cue ?
if not, is it possible to assign the "reloop button" from the loop bank to the hot cue pad on the S9?

2) does serato have a function to automatically activate a loop during a song ?
J.J. 4:42 PM - 21 March, 2019
1. No. A more complicated answer is: On controllers and mixers with 8 pads (all LEDs are usually RED), you can set a cue with a 8 bar loop, but the loop is temporary. You can then save that temp loop to a permanent loop.

2. You can turn a loop on/off without effecting a playing track. Make sure you activate the loop tab (2 arrows that go in a circle) and next to the loop, hit the on/off button that also has 2 arrows that go in a circle.

On my Rane 72, you hit loop button twice and it will reveal your loops on the top 4 pads. The first loop always takes priority. Hit one of the 4 loops, then on the bottom 4 pads, hit the 3rd pad to activate the loop. Hit it again to turn it off. Your S9 should have something similar.
Angelo2019 9:18 PM - 21 March, 2019
thanks jj

1) so, how can i recall loop with the S9?

2) is it possible to assign color to the loops ?

3) do you know the difference between "cue loop" and "saved loop" on the pad selector of the S9?

thanks
DJ Tecniq 5:49 PM - 22 March, 2019
Quote:
thanks jj

1) so, how can i recall loop with the S9?

2) is it possible to assign color to the loops ?

3) do you know the difference between "cue loop" and "saved loop" on the pad selector of the S9?

thanks
Read your manual. Here’s a tutorial how to access saved loops.

youtu.be
J.J. 5:56 PM - 22 March, 2019
I was looking for a video on this DJ Tecniq so thanks. Although it seems a bit complicated with all the extra buttons you have to push.

Here is how it's done on the 72... youtu.be

It was also pretty easy on the Numark NS7ii.
DJ Tecniq 6:13 PM - 22 March, 2019
Quote:
I was looking for a video on this DJ Tecniq so thanks. Although it seems a bit complicated with all the extra buttons you have to push.
Not sure which extra buttons you’re talking about you just press shift + roll to access the saved loops then shift + pad to untrigger it.
Angelo2019 1:10 AM - 23 March, 2019
I tried the loop function and i don't like the way it works with pad of the S9

To recall a loop i have to go to "saved loop" section (so i have to press shift+roll) and it works only for loop on/off as default.

if I want to trigger o recall a loop, first I need to set the function using the midi mapping.

i think this is very annoying because it takes time to recall a loop and another problem is that i can not assign a color for remembering it or recalling it fast.
DJ Tecniq 8:20 PM - 23 March, 2019
Quote:
So get rid of it and use the 72.🤔
Angelo2019 2:16 AM - 24 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
So get rid of it and use the 72.🤔

i like the S9, but i don't understand if this is a "limitation" of the mixer or the the software.
what does it change with 72?

it could be easy if I could assign an hot cue as a "loop hot cue". am I the only one who need this ?
DJ_Alax909 3:27 AM - 24 March, 2019
Hello Angelo 2019... I switched from traktor using a Z2 to just getting my S9 two days ago and I understand where you are coming from.
After messing around with my mixer I figured out how to do this.
1. To access your saved loops like they said up top hit shift+roll(saved loops)
From here if you hit the pad button it will not necessarily go to the loop but allow it to be activated.
For example if the song starts right at 0:00 and you have a an 8 bar loop saved at 0:30 seconds once it hits that point it will loop. If you hit the pad again it will deactivate the loop.
But if your interested in jumping straight to that saved loop...
2. Shit+ whatever pad you saved it too..
This mixer is definitely powerful and has allot of functions; unfortunately not too many great tutorials
DJ Tecniq 6:36 PM - 24 March, 2019
Quote:
This mixer is definitely powerful and has allot of functions; unfortunately not too many great tutorials
It’s clearly demonstrated in this video clip which i posted earlier. Guess no one listens🤷🏼‍♂️ youtu.be
Angelo2019 7:32 PM - 24 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
It’s clearly demonstrated in this video clip which i posted earlier. Guess no one listens🤷🏼‍♂️ youtu.be

as I said before the way to recall loop is "complex", I mean it takes too much time.

Imagine if during a mix (or something else) i am using cue points for doing some scratch, drumming, etc in a certain point of a song and then, after this, i need to recall a loop fast for mixing.
I should go in the loop section and then I have to use the shift button + the pad to recall it... don't you thing that it is too complex ?

in my opinion i think, it will be better and easy to have also the possibility to save a loop also in the cue section. Or at least, to assign a loop from the bank to a button on the cue pad

Also to assign a color to the loop it will be useful
DJ Tecniq 10:29 PM - 24 March, 2019
Quote:
I should go in the loop section and then I have to use the shift button + the pad to recall it... don't you thing that it is too complex ?
Not really if you want separate pad modes then study “user mode” also if you load a track and see on your laptop it has saved loops then you can disable/enable on the laptop or just hit shift + roll quickly while playing or while the other deck is playing.
Angelo2019 12:50 PM - 25 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Not really if you want separate pad modes then study “user mode” also if you load a track and see on your laptop it has saved loops then you can disable/enable on the laptop or just hit shift + roll quickly while playing or while the other deck is playing.

yes but the problem will be always the same... the time from a cue point to recall a loop.

sometimes i need to do it this as fast as possible.

about the "user mode" is it possibile to split, for example, the first line for cue point and second line for the loop in the same page of the hot cues ?

could I customize the function of the pad selector ?

thanks
DJ Tecniq 3:46 PM - 25 March, 2019
Quote:
about the "user mode" is it possibile to split, for example, the first line for cue point and second line for the loop in the same page of the hot cues ?

could I customize the function of the pad selector ?

thanks
I believe so this dude did diff pad modes not positive on the features you want. See here
youtu.be
Angelo2019 5:27 PM - 25 March, 2019
thanks dj tecniq.

i'll take a look to this midi mapping and i'll try to understand better the "user mode" to see if a can solve my problem
Angelo2019 10:02 PM - 2 April, 2019
hi,

do you know if is it possible to customize the pad selector of the S9?
I mean could i change, for example, the "roll pad" to "saved loop", or "cue point" to "sampler", etc ?

thanks
Glenn Ghoul 7:17 PM - 5 April, 2019
I got you Angelo, "only speed is unbreakable" and pad modes are slow.

I think mans over here had a similar-ish problem.

serato.com

The best behaving loop solution I’ve found is offloading the deck auto-loop function to a separate midi device you punch simultaneously with your hot cue. You’ll need to practice this.

Take looping off the controller means you don’t have to change modes (on the controller) to loop.

My reply on that thread:
I have an old M-audio Trigger Finger that I set a row of pads to activate auto-loop on each deck + a knob above it that sets the loop length. If you want to loop a cue point, you punch it at the same time as the auto-loop button for that deck, and then you’re looping.

You can set those triggers on ANY corny ol midi thing with some buttons an a few knobs. If you don’t have something already, you could find something with $10 and an afternoon on craigslist.

I prefer this method because it’s much quicker than changing pad modes. There’s just the one button that turns looping on or off, so it’s simple/predictable - it’s like a Dicer for your controller. Bonus: you also get to keep your cue points on deck so you can jump out whenever you want.

Changing pad modes takes twice as long as you think, because you have to change them back.
Angelo2019 10:43 PM - 5 April, 2019
Quote:
I got you Angelo, "only speed is unbreakable" and pad modes are slow.

I think mans over here had a similar-ish problem.

serato.com

The best behaving loop solution I’ve found is offloading the deck auto-loop function to a separate midi device you punch simultaneously with your hot cue. You’ll need to practice this.

Take looping off the controller means you don’t have to change modes (on the controller) to loop.

My reply on that thread:
I have an old M-audio Trigger Finger that I set a row of pads to activate auto-loop on each deck + a knob above it that sets the loop length. If you want to loop a cue point, you punch it at the same time as the auto-loop button for that deck, and then you’re looping.

You can set those triggers on ANY corny ol midi thing with some buttons an a few knobs. If you don’t have something already, you could find something with $10 and an afternoon on craigslist.

I prefer this method because it’s much quicker than changing pad modes. There’s just the one button that turns looping on or off, so it’s simple/predictable - it’s like a Dicer for your controller. Bonus: you also get to keep your cue points on deck so you can jump out whenever you want.

Changing pad modes takes twice as long as you think, because you have to change them back.

Thank you Glenn Ghoul! you got a point!

you got what i meant.

the problem of the loop recalling/triggering, in this case, with the S9 and Serato is a disaster.

it's impossible to do fast things using cue point and loop.

what you suggested is a good idea, but I thing it will be easier and useful to have the possibility to assign also the same "loop point" from the loop bank to the "hot cue point"

Like this i can decide if i want to switch to the loop bank or use the "hot cue section" for both functions.

Am I the only one who need this ?
fel415 8:58 AM - 8 April, 2019
Is there a hot key in keyboard to hit the cue and automatically loop like the NS7-2 since Rane 72 lacks on this.
fel415 9:02 AM - 8 April, 2019
Why are these pro level battle mixers lacking these simple cue loop compared to a cheaper controllers like NS7-2
AKIEM 3:07 PM - 8 April, 2019
sad you cant hit a cue and loop on anymore.
DJ JulioYEG 3:33 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
sad you cant hit a cue and loop on anymore

on controller you can
fel415 5:10 PM - 9 April, 2019
Community wants this save cues to loop once hit why Serato not listening to their customers who pays their bills? I already call Rane and they said it’s up to Serato to map this so who is to blame?
Angelo2019 6:50 PM - 9 April, 2019
Quote:
Community wants this save cues to loop once hit why Serato not listening to their customers who pays their bills? I already call Rane and they said it’s up to Serato to map this so who is to blame?

I think this function would be very useful for all kind of djs.

I don't know if it's differents to others hardware, my with the s9 is a mess.

To recall a cue point is very complicated and long process. I have to press shift+roll, then i have to remember wich loop I need to use (because the pad have the same color) and then i have to press shift+pad

I can undesrtand that is good to have separate loop and hot cue, but it will be perfect to have the both possibility for using a loop. I mean, having the choice to recall a loop from the bank or just using the hot cue. easy

Nobody would like to have something like that, especially for hardware like the S9 ?