Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Denon DN-S3700 built in Time Code in Hybrid Mode with Serato DJ Pro

WildcardX 4:01 PM - 19 March, 2019
I may have the opportunity to trade my SX for a pair of Denon DN-S3700 players that I am considering even though it will greatly hinder portability. What I wanted to know is if the Hybrid Mode built in Time Code output still works with SDJ Pro. The Midi Mapping may have to be sourced or rebuilt but I wanted to know if I will have to resort to the timecode on USB.
raedonquan 5:13 PM - 19 March, 2019
hybird midi.. still worked before i sold them.

you can go to denon's web site and get the manual and find the midi address for light output.. you may need a hex to binary code... from what i last remember from mapping it...

you dont need to map the play buttons... cause of the time code.
WildcardX 5:35 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:
hybird midi.. still worked before i sold them.

you can go to denon's web site and get the manual and find the midi address for light output.. you may need a hex to binary code... from what i last remember from mapping it...

you dont need to map the play buttons... cause of the time code.

Oh okay, so the Time Code output form the player without USB or CD work still then I am to assume?

I have a small amount of midi mapping exposure and I already went to Denon's site for that midi map table. Thank you for the input, any other knowledge ot impart?
Chino 5:44 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:

Oh okay, so the Time Code output form the player without USB or CD work still then I am to assume?

I have a small amount of midi mapping exposure and I already went to Denon's site for that midi map table. Thank you for the input, any other knowledge ot impart?

I used my Denon 3900s in MIDI hybrid mode for years (before selling them for a set of Technics SLDZ mod MK2s). The 3700s functions are near identical except that initially they didn't have native Serato MIDI so a mapping was done after the fact to get the lights to turn on etc. In MIDI hybrid mode you def need to connect the USB & RCA cables. If you are just using timecode on a CD or USB then just connect the RCA cable. Let me know if you have any other questions, Im happy to help!
WildcardX 5:49 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I used my Denon 3900s in MIDI hybrid mode for years (before selling them for a set of Technics SLDZ mod MK2s). The 3700s functions are near identical except that initially they didn't have native Serato MIDI so a mapping was done after the fact to get the lights to turn on etc. In MIDI hybrid mode you def need to connect the USB & RCA cables. If you are just using timecode on a CD or USB then just connect the RCA cable. Let me know if you have any other questions, Im happy to help!

You sir are one of the people I was oping would chime in on this thread. So the 3700 doesn't create the time code from internally in its built in DSP?

And off topic; especially to Chino; what you think, ditch my SX and couple these with my Mixars DUO (That are on another pair of Techs I have set up apart from another pair on my S9 that I won't take out) for mobile gigs?
Chino 5:59 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:
You sir are one of the people I was oping would chime in on this thread. So the 3700 doesn't create the time code from internally in its built in DSP?

It does generate the Serato time code internally BUT for the MIDI mapping to work, the USB needs to be connected too. The Serato time code signal is read thru the RCA cables and all the MIDI info is read via the USB. Does that make sense?
WildcardX 6:02 PM - 19 March, 2019
Well I understand already the midi being read through the USB part from the get go. It's the time code generating internally I was wondering about. So no need to worry about wonky carriages if anything. What was your biggest pro regarding your 3900 set up?
Chino 6:05 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:

And off topic; especially to Chino; what you think, ditch my SX and couple these with my Mixars DUO (That are on another pair of Techs I have set up apart from another pair on my S9 that I won't take out) for mobile gigs?

I find myself leaning more towards modular gear these days. IMHO, Its just more fun. If you can afford to keep the SX as a backup then I would strongly recommend doing that!
WildcardX 6:07 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I find myself leaning more towards modular gear these days. IMHO, Its just more fun. If you can afford to keep the SX as a backup then I would strongly recommend doing that!

Well I can't afford to keep it and I would love to try the 3700s out for a difference but the option for them also has a trade on the table.
Chino 6:12 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:
So no need to worry about wonky carriages if anything. What was your biggest pro regarding your 3900 set up?

Pros- Feel is close to 1200s but obviously more portable.
No needles or CV to worry about.
Plays CDs &/or MP3s(great backup option)

Cons- Sticker drift
MIDI mapping conflicts with my Rane 72

Overall, I def prefer using the mixer + 3700s/3900s combo over most controllers due to the fun factor even though controllers are more convenient for mobile gig use.

It won't hurt to try it out. If you don't like it you can always sell the 3700s & go back to a controller.
WildcardX 6:18 PM - 19 March, 2019
Is the sticker drift that bad?

The lack of portability after getting rid of the SX will suck but I really haven't gigged it in a while anyway so there's that.
raedonquan 6:26 PM - 19 March, 2019
It depends if you do beat juggles...
WildcardX 6:53 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:
It depends if you do beat juggles...

I only do that infrequently. I prefer doing that on turntables. Then again I never used these before.
J.J. 4:52 PM - 21 March, 2019
I could never get the MIDI output for the LED's to work in Serato DJ for Denon equipment. I was only able to get 1 light to work. However, it did work great in Scratch Live.

On the 3700, I also hated that it didn't boot into Hybrid mode. Plus it went into internal mode after 15 minutes of play, a feature that couldn't be turned off in software.

The 9" platter was perfect for me. I'm still struggling with the Rane Twelve size after a year. And I have 20 years experience with Technics TT so go figure. It's more of a slip issue that I can't get right after trying 5 different washer sizes.
raedonquan 4:55 PM - 21 March, 2019
Quote:
I

The 9" platter was perfect for me. I'm still struggling with the Rane Twelve size after a year. And I have 20 years experience with Technics TT so go figure. It's more of a slip issue that I can't get right after trying 5 different washer sizes.

did you trry getting the 12"skins adaptor or getting the 2019 adaptor hubs...

as i too have problems with slip with the original adaptor

the 12 skin adaptor with serato butter rugs work for me now
WildcardX 10:08 PM - 21 March, 2019
Quote:
On the 3700, I also hated that it didn't boot into Hybrid mode. Plus it went into internal mode after 15 minutes of play, a feature that couldn't be turned off in software.

As much as I would like to get some midi control mapped, I'm not too worried about it. However this part about the Hybrid Mode Control Tone concerns me. I'd like to hear more about this if you don't mind.
dj_soo 9:05 AM - 22 March, 2019
I’m still using 3900s and a 72. I used to have it mapped extensively for my 62 (and sp1), but have since reduce most of the mapping to just a few controls - mainly pitch shifting.

As mentioned, sticker drift is annoying, but workable unless you’re doing a lot of juggling. The 3900 also has an annoying quirk in hybrid mode that flips it over to internal after a few minutes of playing - you just need to flip it back to real and it remains that way for the duration. I just mapped a mode switch on it.

I’ve heard it’s harder to run the platter to slow down on the 3700s, and it’s better to use the pitch bend buttons.

Control tone is fine - it’s like phase where it’s a reversed engineered tone rather than the official noise map, and it’ll display as all red in the bars, but no issues with tracking or scratching outside of the drift.
WildcardX 11:40 AM - 22 March, 2019
Good idea on the mapping a button to switch the mode. I can't see myself mapping too much on it anyways and will be using a Mixars DUO with it as I reserved my S9 for the Techs. I don't think I'll have a problem with jusing the buttons to pitch bend and if my bad habits carry over from turntables I usually most times have to end up slowing down my transition track.

Another thing I have to ask is I have to set the decks to channel 5 and 6 for left and right deck mapping respectively for mapping and do I heard you need to put it in midi mode every time you reboot the deck and set it all over. Is this true?
raedonquan 12:24 PM - 22 March, 2019
Quote:

Another thing I have to ask is I have to set the decks to channel 5 and 6 for left and right deck mapping respectively for mapping and do I heard you need to put it in midi mode every time you reboot the deck and set it all over. Is this true?

yes the 3700 and 3900 will start in cd mode just like pioneer players...

you dont have to change the midi pages where you turn the players on
WildcardX 1:07 PM - 22 March, 2019
Quote:
yes the 3700 and 3900 will start in cd mode just like pioneer players...

you dont have to change the midi pages where you turn the players on

That's the thing, I am trying not to use CDs and avoid the CD carriage all together. So I guess this will become my new normal with these.
raedonquan 3:43 PM - 22 March, 2019
like cdj;s and the denon all you have to do its put it in pc mode.. just a few button pushes
WildcardX 6:09 PM - 23 March, 2019
Well I got the players up an running. I mapped a few things I wanted but no lights so have to look into that and also I did come across that anomaly of it switching to Internal but mapped a button. It sucks that hte Play and Cue no longer light when you go into Hybrid mode though but other than that the little i used it it worked. If I can get just a few of those lights ot work that would be great for now.
dj_soo 8:20 PM - 23 March, 2019
yea, I could never get the lights to work with my 3900
WildcardX 8:23 PM - 23 March, 2019
Quote:
yea, I could never get the lights to work with my 3900

I made another thread regarding this and the post I was looking at here regarding that for the 3700 was also referenced by raedonquan to probably get it working. It might be a meticulous thing but I will see. I am only looking at like about maybe 3 buttons for now lighting anyways. I'll keep you posted if I have any success but he pointed me in a right direction and zeroed in on the line of code that may need to be changed. I just have to do it one button at a time and test.
raedonquan 8:27 PM - 23 March, 2019
You can do the 3 cue points when you map the 3700

You will see something that says slot is 1 that would mean cue point 2..

Slot I’d 0 is cue point one
raedonquan 8:29 PM - 23 March, 2019
Damn phone. Slot id 0 is cue point one and slot id 1 is cue point 2
WildcardX 9:32 PM - 23 March, 2019
Quote:
Damn phone. Slot id 0 is cue point one and slot id 1 is cue point 2

Okay got it.
OzBigRed 3:59 PM - 1 May, 2019
I own both a pair of 3700s and a pair of 3900s.
I am a bit of newb' to Serato (but not to IT or Windows).
I have been doing much Googling and reading on MIDI mapping, both on this site and elsewhere.
I have been trying to contact this TSI Sound System guy re his XML file, with no success.
Is anyone reading this able to hook me up please?!?
Thanks in anticipation...
WildcardX 1:42 PM - 2 May, 2019
Quote:
I own both a pair of 3700s and a pair of 3900s.
I am a bit of newb' to Serato (but not to IT or Windows).
I have been doing much Googling and reading on MIDI mapping, both on this site and elsewhere.
I have been trying to contact this TSI Sound System guy re his XML file, with no success.
Is anyone reading this able to hook me up please?!?
Thanks in anticipation...

Just follow this guide to midi map them. It's now hard to do as it just clicking. The only issue is that you will not get lighting to work with just this and the people who have tried it including myself could only get one light to work and it requires some XML editing that as you may have indicated above is beyond you so just stick to the tutorial in the link below if you choose to midi map.

See here:

support.serato.com
playerz 11:52 PM - 2 May, 2019
Same here no lights on 3700 in hybrid mode
WildcardX 11:59 PM - 2 May, 2019
Quote:
Same here no lights on 3700 in hybrid mode

Yeah, seems to not work because of how Serato DJ Pro now parses XML so it's either you get one light you really want to work functional or you do without it.
playerz 1:10 AM - 3 May, 2019
Yeah, seems to not work because of how Serato DJ Pro now parses XML so it's either you get one light you really want to work functional or you do without it.

How many lights you got to work?
WildcardX 2:05 AM - 3 May, 2019
With each midi map for each button it worked however when combined, only one worked. That's just how it is with that older hardware using Change Control for light output.
OzBigRed 4:27 AM - 3 May, 2019
Thanks- you guys just saved me from wasting a whole lot of time for nothing.
If Serato DJ Pro can't be fully working with either the 3700s or 3900s then I won't bother with it at all. I am kinda fussy that way - I don't like things only partially working.
I will simply go back to Traktor for the 3900s, since I already own multiple Traktor licenses.
FYI I do also own an NS7ii with LCD which I can still use for Serato.
Not sure what I am going to use the brand new Dashboard I just bought for now though...
playerz 10:39 AM - 3 May, 2019
This is so frustrated...... no lights
Anyone has the xml file for this an willing to share will be a blessing thanks.
djallissonsantos 2:34 PM - 6 July, 2019
Alguém tem mapper do denon 3700 para me enviar por favor????
Camilo Ramirez 11:02 PM - 29 July, 2019
So, i got a set of S3700 last month. Im using them with rekordbox and was also not able to get the lights to work. I don't know much about midi but I did get it to work with a work around.

What i did was, i installed MIDI-OX and loopMIDI. Through MIDI-OX I send out a midi out command that turns on all the lights. I will upload the file here for you to use tomorrow because im in bed now haha.

LoopMIDI is necessary for rekordbox to see them as separate midi devices. I don't know if its necessary for Serato.

So here is the thing. The lights will be on for as long as they are connected to the laptop. They wont interact with the program but from what i have seen, it might be doable with some more midi mapping in MIDI-OX. The light have no function but its visual more pleasing having them on. Maybe if there is someone here who knows more about MIDI we can get them to work interactively with Serato and Rekordbox.
WildcardX 2:12 PM - 30 July, 2019
Quote:
So, i got a set of S3700 last month. Im using them with rekordbox and was also not able to get the lights to work. I don't know much about midi but I did get it to work with a work around.

What i did was, i installed MIDI-OX and loopMIDI. Through MIDI-OX I send out a midi out command that turns on all the lights. I will upload the file here for you to use tomorrow because im in bed now haha.

LoopMIDI is necessary for rekordbox to see them as separate midi devices. I don't know if its necessary for Serato.

So here is the thing. The lights will be on for as long as they are connected to the laptop. They wont interact with the program but from what i have seen, it might be doable with some more midi mapping in MIDI-OX. The light have no function but its visual more pleasing having them on. Maybe if there is someone here who knows more about MIDI we can get them to work interactively with Serato and Rekordbox.

Great find. If you take the Scratch Live Midi XML file you should be able to find the corresponding control Changes for lighting in the map that would point to the notes to trigger the lights. This will probably be key in mapping the secondary application.
DJ SYZER 9:49 PM - 2 February, 2020
I'm revisiting my Denons S3700 and I noticed my Mac only recognize the left Deck as a midi controller anyone has any info that could help me fix this issue.

Thanks in advance.
raedonquan 10:20 PM - 2 February, 2020
You have to change the denons midi page
DJ SYZER 8:21 PM - 3 February, 2020
Quote:
You have to change the denons midi page

Thanks for the help as soon as I did that it has been recognized.